• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Explanation of the 2022 Season?

bgbigdog said:
SoldierGriz said:
Kent Haslam - August 24th 2021 -

On what the bar should be for Griz football:

Competing for conference championships, national titles every year. We’ve set that bar and that’s what I’ve always viewed Montana football as is championships. I think we’re on our way. The Big Sky has changed a lot, and you can point and say we’re different and we’re spread out and we don’t play everybody, but you know what, it is what it is, you got to win, and you got to win championships. We know that. We have big scoreboards for a reason: we keep score.”

It's not as if those haven't been the goals since Don Read's team broke through and won it all. Right?

I have no doubt that but bobby really believe that nothing about the BSC had changed since his departure, other than Montana wasn't dominating. Which begets RTD and not so much of that - fact. I'm hoping not to see any mention of RTD this season.

By way of comparison, you might also recall Stitt's marketing slogan, Fight-Unite-Win. Everything looks promising when you put it on a poster. Doesn't it? That was born of having to hire consultants to teach him how to handle college kids when members of the team quit on him in season two. Year three ends and he gets run off, by the boosters. Haslam had already spoken to him about extending, Stitt has long maintained. As we've already learned, Haslam can say whatever he likes. The boosters aren't going run but bobby off regardless of how this season plays out. If he wins, he's the hero, fulfilling expectations. Lose, and it will be a whole lot of something else that got in the way. Not sure why this is so difficult to understand.
Haslam was willing to extend Stitt for one year only. Stitt and his ego demanded a 3 year extension, which was unacceptable to everyone, Haslam, the boosters and most of us.

Look at the recent offers that Bobby has extended. Do any of these players get you excited? Look at the other schools offering them. Look at their production at their previous stops. Mostly Div. II, III, or NAIA schools. During our of years of dominance, we would have never made offers to kids at this level.

Montana made a handful of offers to recruits in the past week.

Defensive back Dylan Camp announced a full-ride scholarship offer May 31. He had 17 tackles, three interceptions, six pass breakups, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery in 11 games last season as a freshman playing junior college football at City College of San Francisco. He's listed at 6-foot, 185 pounds. He also has offers from Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado and Eastern Illinois.

Tight end Colby Bell shared that he got an offer May 31. He spent the previous two seasons playing junior college football at El Camino College in California, catching 20 passes for 123 yards and two touchdowns in 22 games. He's listed at 6-3, 220 pounds. He also has an offer from Morehouse College in Georgia.

Tight end Joseph Grezmak received a preferred walk-on offer May 31. He played junior college football at Louisburg College in North Carolina, catching three passes for 61 yards and one touchdown over three games last year before a foot injury ended his freshman season. He's listed at 6-5, 240 pounds. UM is his only offer so far.

Offensive lineman Christopher Green was extended an offer June 2. He redshirted as a true freshman at NCAA Div. II Elizabeth City State University in North Carolina last season, earning an award for the freshman with the highest GPA. He's listed at 6-3, 270 pounds. He's also received offers from Western Illinois, Catawba College and Alderson Broaddus.

kemajic said:
bgbigdog said:
It's not as if those haven't been the goals since Don Read's team broke through and won it all. Right?

I have no doubt that but bobby really believe that nothing about the BSC had changed since his departure, other than Montana wasn't dominating. Which begets RTD and not so much of that - fact. I'm hoping not to see any mention of RTD this season.

By way of comparison, you might also recall Stitt's marketing slogan, Fight-Unite-Win. Everything looks promising when you put it on a poster. Doesn't it? That was born of having to hire consultants to teach him how to handle college kids when members of the team quit on him in season two. Year three ends and he gets run off, by the boosters. Haslam had already spoken to him about extending, Stitt has long maintained. As we've already learned, Haslam can say whatever he likes. The boosters aren't going run but bobby off regardless of how this season plays out. If he wins, he's the hero, fulfilling expectations. Lose, and it will be a whole lot of something else that got in the way. Not sure why this is so difficult to understand.
Haslam was willing to extend Stitt for one year only. Stitt and his ego demanded a 3 year extension, which was unacceptable to everyone, Haslam, the boosters and most of us.

So - hypothetical here - suppose BH leads the Griz to 4th Place BSC finish. Griz limp into playoffs, win a home game, and then lose on the road next round.. Haslam offers one additional year...what does BH do?

I keep saying it, but extensions and early extensions matter to HCs because they matter deeply to assistants.

Under zero circumstances does BH not know it is a contract year...nor does he "not want one yet" despite what other posters type.

SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:

So - hypothetical here - suppose BH leads the Griz to 4th Place BSC finish. Griz limp into playoffs, win a home game, and then lose on the road next round.. Haslam offers one additional year...what does BH do?

I keep saying it, but extensions and early extensions matter to HCs because they matter deeply to assistants.

Under zero circumstances does BH not know it is a contract year...nor does he "not want one yet" despite what other posters type.

"However, he must feel comfortably employed.

A contract season awaits him starting on Sept. 2 and he has no fear. Maybe it’s the productive spring session that has him feeling at ease.

“Oh, well, until you said that, I didn’t realize that was the case,” Hauck said of entering the final season of his deal with the university. “Is that right? I’ll have to look. I don’t pay much attention to that stuff. Never have.”

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-grizzlies-conclude-spring-practices-feeling-confident-but-not-complacent/article_d194a0ac-f45d-5975-b265-54e321122459.html

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:

A contract season awaits him starting on Sept. 2 and he has no fear. Maybe it’s the productive spring session that has him feeling at ease.

“Oh, well, until you said that, I didn’t realize that was the case,” Hauck said of entering the final season of his deal with the university. “Is that right? I’ll have to look. I don’t pay much attention to that stuff. Never have.”

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-grizzlies-conclude-spring-practices-feeling-confident-but-not-complacent/article_d194a0ac-f45d-5975-b265-54e321122459.html

Uh huh...anyone who believes this has no clue about D1 football.

thirdandlong said:
Look at the recent offers that Bobby has extended. Do any of these players get you excited? Look at the other schools offering them. Look at their production at their previous stops. Mostly Div. II, III, or NAIA schools. During our of years of dominance, we would have never made offers to kids at this level.

Turd's cars of dominance:

bmw-850ci-8-series-1530799362.png

1444321358-bmw-8-series-1989-1024x768-wallpaper-03.jpg

547e9576ce4b5_-_gm9a7828-lg.jpg

nissan_300zx_1990_pictures_4_1600x1200.jpg

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Anybody who can't read and understand what a coach says, shows no connection to the program and shows they are dumb.

thirdandlong said:

Montana made a handful of offers to recruits in the past week.

Defensive back Dylan Camp announced a full-ride scholarship offer May 31. He had 17 tackles, three interceptions, six pass breakups, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery in 11 games last season as a freshman playing junior college football at City College of San Francisco. He's listed at 6-foot, 185 pounds. He also has offers from Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado and Eastern Illinois.

Tight end Colby Bell shared that he got an offer May 31. He spent the previous two seasons playing junior college football at El Camino College in California, catching 20 passes for 123 yards and two touchdowns in 22 games. He's listed at 6-3, 220 pounds. He also has an offer from Morehouse College in Georgia.

Tight end Joseph Grezmak received a preferred walk-on offer May 31. He played junior college football at Louisburg College in North Carolina, catching three passes for 61 yards and one touchdown over three games last year before a foot injury ended his freshman season. He's listed at 6-5, 240 pounds. UM is his only offer so far.

Offensive lineman Christopher Green was extended an offer June 2. He redshirted as a true freshman at NCAA Div. II Elizabeth City State University in North Carolina last season, earning an award for the freshman with the highest GPA. He's listed at 6-3, 270 pounds. He's also received offers from Western Illinois, Catawba College and Alderson Broaddus.

They don’t scream instant star or a future NFL player at this moment in time, but neither did Patrick O’Connell a division 2 recruit out of Bismarck, North Dakota of all places. That one turned out pretty good for us. And if a couple of these hit like that, we will all be very happy.

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

So, you are saying that anyone who believes what their coach says in the newspaper, has no clue about D1 football?

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:

So, you are saying that anyone who believes what their coach says in the newspaper, has no clue about D1 football?

No, that is not what I said. I said anyone who believes BH when he says he was not aware it was a contract year or he doesn't want one yet... has no clue about D1 football.

He knows exactly how long his contract runs...he signed it. He also knows how important an extension is to his assistants as he has been among them previously.

Haslam has not offered said extension yet...that speaks volumes and at a decibel you have to be deaf not to hear.

His seat is hot...he knows it.

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

No, that is not what I said. I said anyone who believes BH when he says he was not aware it was a contract year or he doesn't want one yet... has no clue about D1 football.

He knows exactly how long his contract runs...he signed it. He also knows how important an extension is to his assistants as he has been among them previously.

Haslam has not offered said extension yet...that speaks volumes and at a decibel you have to be deaf not to hear.

His seat is not hot; he will be at UM until he retires, another 5 years by his own quotes. His assistants know that and know that they are secure. Haslam and BH are negotiating an extension and the points are $ for the assistants, not BH security. It's no secret that $ are tight at UM.

Your BH narrative is really lame.

My wonder is HOW do you impress upon Coach ___________ the urgency of producing, not almost producing, a NC or two, or three, or...
Whatever has been tried hasn't produced the desired results.

Thoughts?

3-7-77 said:
My wonder is HOW do you impress upon Coach ___________ the urgency of producing, not almost producing, a NC or two, or three, or...

Thoughts?

I don't think anyone needs to impress that urgency upon any coach. He understands that the losses we took are not what ANY supporter of the team wants. This is an honest question to you, not an attack. Do you think that Bobby Hauck does NOT care about winning? The guy is obsessed with winning, and understands the urgency at Montana more than almost anyone.

Go back just two years, we beat Washington(!!) and were in a game against JMU that would have been entirely different if our starting QB and WR didn't get hurt at the start of the game. A JMU team that was the second best in the country, and then was ranked in the top 25 in the FBS for a while the next year. We were right there.

Expectations were sky high last year, yes. Injuries happened to some major players, some offenses seemed to be adapting a bit to some of our controlled chaos, and there were a couple of VERY bad calls on two of those losses.

Nobody wanted last season to go like it did. But it was not at all a lack of care or urgency by Hauck and the coaching staff. Even if you don't believe it because they are competitors, or don't believe they care about the kids, you gotta keep in mind that their bonuses are performance based. There is an urgency. Both teams are trying to win, though. Sometimes we will lose a game, or have a season that wasn't at the expectations we wanted.

I grew up and went to the U when it was the era of dominance. Even then, we weren't winning the title every year or even in the national championship game every year. We aren't going to win national titles because we scream at the coaches that they need urgency. We are going to do it by incentivizing young people to come to Missoula. Part of that is money, part of that is the fan base, part of that is the facilities, part of that is playing time, part of that is history, part of that is wanting to win. There are many things that will contribute to our team getting back to the top. Complaining about last year is, however, not on that list.

kemajic said:
SoldierGriz said:

His seat is not hot; he will be at UM until he retires, another 5 years by his own quotes. His assistants know that and know that they are secure. Haslam and BH are negotiating an extension and the points are $ for the assistants, not BH security. It's no secret that $ are tight at UM.

Your BH narrative is really lame.

Unlike you - I don't have a narrative.

I thought BH didn't want an extension. Now he does? Please share more.

Out-to-lunch as usual.

There were people that wanted to fire Bobby every year from 2003 through 2009 when he left because we didn't win a NC, so of course people are up in arms about a single down season (many of them are the same people).

uofmman1122 said:
There were people that wanted to fire Bobby every year from 2003 through 2009 when he left because we didn't win a NC, so of course people are up in arms about a single down season (many of them are the same people).

Part of the reason I joined was to NOT be a person who stirs the pot, but you are right. I find it difficult that these solutions are simply "fire the coaches." Who would make a better coach out there? What schemes are not working and why? What players are in the wrong position on the depth chart? I'd love to see some constructive suggestions.

uofmman1122 said:

I assume most have had multiple significant others.

uofmman1122 said:

And many of the same ones want to fire Travis. More than many I would say most.

ElrodGrizzly said:
3-7-77 said:

Thoughts?

I don't think anyone needs to impress that urgency upon any coach. He understands that the losses we took are not what ANY supporter of the team wants. This is an honest question to you, not an attack. Do you think that Bobby Hauck does NOT care about winning? The guy is obsessed with winning, and understands the urgency at Montana more than almost anyone.

Go back just two years, we beat Washington(!!) and were in a game against JMU that would have been entirely different if our starting QB and WR didn't get hurt at the start of the game. A JMU team that was the second best in the country, and then was ranked in the top 25 in the FBS for a while the next year. We were right there.

Expectations were sky high last year, yes. Injuries happened to some major players, some offenses seemed to be adapting a bit to some of our controlled chaos, and there were a couple of VERY bad calls on two of those losses.

Nobody wanted last season to go like it did. But it was not at all a lack of care or urgency by Hauck and the coaching staff. Even if you don't believe it because they are competitors, or don't believe they care about the kids, you gotta keep in mind that their bonuses are performance based. There is an urgency. Both teams are trying to win, though. Sometimes we will lose a game, or have a season that wasn't at the expectations we wanted.

I grew up and went to the U when it was the era of dominance. Even then, we weren't winning the title every year or even in the national championship game every year. We aren't going to win national titles because we scream at the coaches that they need urgency. We are going to do it by incentivizing young people to come to Missoula. Part of that is money, part of that is the fan base, part of that is the facilities, part of that is playing time, part of that is history, part of that is wanting to win. There are many things that will contribute to our team getting back to the top. Complaining about last year is, however, not on that list.

I don't think anyone ever questioned BH's drive to win. I certainly didn't. But, every D1 football coach is driven.

Honest question - how many years will we continue to make excuses about injuries and "bad calls?"

It's a relatively new phenomenon here in Griz nation.

Back