• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Hits Keep Coming for the Cats….

7o2z9x.jpg

garizzalies said:
https://www.kbzk.com/news/crime-courts/montana-states-offensive-coordinator-taylor-housewright-pleads-not-guilty-to-all-charges-including-aggravated-dui

Dude not only failed to shave and wear a suit but also did not even bother to button the top button.

I’m a fairly accomplished lip reader, and it certainly appears as though as they are leaving, he turns to his attorney and says, “Let’s go get a drink”.

HookedonGriz said:
Re-signing a coach who quite literally was charged with a 3rd DUI and assaulted a nurse at the hospital when they tried taking his blood. The epitome of a piece of poop.

THAT I was unaware of. Add Misdemeanor Assault to the charges, at a minimum. He is brought to the ER by the cops, probably in cuffs. Probably there just for the blood sample after refusing to blow for the BAC. Can't book 'em in jail until medically cleared. Add to that an alcohol fueled bad attitude to that guess. I'd really like to see the Arrest Report. Years ago, there was a push to make assaulting a Nurse, or any hospital worker, a Felony. Guess the Legislature didn't have the nuts to do so. Pathetic. Sadly, ER has to accept anything that walks, crawls, or is dragged through its doors. I've never met the man, know nothing about him other that what's in the funny papers. Could be a great human being, when he's sober, however long that is. :roll:

3-7-77 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Re-signing a coach who quite literally was charged with a 3rd DUI and assaulted a nurse at the hospital when they tried taking his blood. The epitome of a piece of poop.

THAT I was unaware of. Add Misdemeanor Assault to the charges, at a minimum. He is brought to the ER by the cops, probably in cuffs. Probably there just for the blood sample after refusing to blow for the BAC. Can't book 'em in jail until medically cleared. Add to that an alcohol fueled bad attitude to that guess. I'd really like to see the Arrest Report. Years ago, there was a push to make assaulting a Nurse, or any hospital worker, a Felony. Guess the Legislature didn't have the nuts to do so. Pathetic. Sadly, ER has to accept anything that walks, crawls, or is dragged through its doors. I've never met the man, know nothing about him other that what's in the funny papers. Could be a great human being, when he's sober, however long that is. :roll:

The police report says that he puked at the hospital (I don’t have that link handy, but it’s easily searchable). There is talk that he may have assaulted the employee taking his blood sample. But, per usual in Bozeman, we won’t hear/read about any of it because he’s an MSU coach. It’s the Bobcat way.

"Bobcats head coach Brent Vigen said MSU will await due process of the court system and that no comment will be made on any personnel matters due to employee privacy laws."

And this is exactly the way this situation should be handled. I know you al want firings, suspensions, anything to make the situation look as bad as possible, but unfortunately that's just not the way to handle these things. The university needs to be diligent and protect themselves against litigation. If you all don't understand how employee privacy laws work, then I don't know what to tell you. Ask PR.

poorgriz said:
"Bobcats head coach Brent Vigen said MSU will await due process of the court system and that no comment will be made on any personnel matters due to employee privacy laws."

And this is exactly the way this situation should be handled. I know you al want firings, suspensions, anything to make the situation look as bad as possible, but unfortunately that's just not the way to handle these things. The university needs to be diligent and protect themselves against litigation. If you all don't understand how employee privacy laws work, then I don't know what to tell you. Ask PR.

The HC can simply tell the drunks to stay home - away from the men they are charged with leading.

They can collect their taxpayer funded salaries, but a wise HC would suspend them - as "team business." The HC can put dudes - including coaches on the bench - anytime he wants to.

It's really that simple.

What will he do when a player inevitably gets a DUI? Will they play pending adjudication?

SoldierGriz said:
poorgriz said:

The HC can simply tell the drunks to stay home - away from the men they are charged with leading.

They can collect their taxpayer funded salaries, but a wise HC would suspend them - as "team business." The HC can put dudes - including coaches on the bench - anytime he wants to.

It's really that simple.

What will he do when a player inevitably gets a DUI? Will they play pending adjudication?

No, it's not that easy. Yes, Vigen, Leon, and Waded could certainly take action now... but that would be against policy and the policy is there for a reason. You might not be familiar with how employment law, or lawsuits work. I am, and my company actually put an employee on paid leave based on an allegation, and I got in trouble over it.

I'm not sure on the player comparison, because the players aren't employees. Employees have to be VERY careful about actions they take against employees that might harm their reputations unduly.

poorgriz said:

This isn't accurate. MSU isn't waiting for due process. They are waiting for the legal case to be finished. Due process is how the legal and other process is done, and required to be done. It's not the legal result or waiting for the legal result.

No, it is not exactly how the situation should be handled. Many businesses and colleges don't handle a situation like this in this manner. They suspend people. They sometimes fire people.

The 2021-22 MSU handbook says that players will be suspended upon getting a dui. Why wouldn't coaches be treated the same way.

"LEVEL I MISCONDUCT
If the MSU Athletic Department has information which leads it to conclude that a student-athlete has been
charged or arrested with a violation of local, state or federal law involving
violence (sexual assault, battery, etc.),
theft (any degree), drugs (possession, distribution or intent to distribute, etc.), a major alcohol offense (DUI,
providing alcohol to a minor, etc.) or any felony charge, the student-athlete shall be immediately suspended from
intercollegiate athletic participation, which may include practice. The suspension remains in effect until either 1)
the charges are resolved by the legal system; or 2) University or departmental disciplinary measures have been
issued and/or the department lifts or modifies the suspension or the term of the suspension is served.
By suspending the student-athlete, the department is not pre-judging guilt or innocence, rather the suspension
protects the integrity of the department, including all of our student-athletes, when there is an arrest or criminal
charge.
A. Sanctions for Level I Misconduct:
First Offense – The student-athlete will be suspended from competition and may be suspended
from practice. The suspension will not be less than 10% of the team’s scheduled competitions as
listed in Second Offense, Level II infraction. The Athletic Director and/or Head Coach reserve the
right to dismiss the student-athlete from the team.

• Second Offense – The student-athlete will be suspended from competition for a minimum of one
year and may be suspended from practice and all team activities. The Athletic Director and/or
Head Coach reserve the right to dismiss the student-athlete from the team.
• Third Offense – The student-athlete will be dismissed from the team.
Termination of scholarship benefits (level I): The Athletic Director or head coach may pursue revocation or
modification of athletically-related financial aid as a consequence of any and all Level I misconduct. Any action to
revoke or modify athletically-related financial aid will be in accordance with NCAA policies and procedures."

In addition, a head coach can basically do what he wants to do with an assistant coach.

MSU is hiding behind the legal process and calling it due process. Total BS.

poorgriz said:
SoldierGriz said:

It's really that simple.

No, it's not that easy. Yes, Vigen, Leon, and Waded could certainly take action now... but that would be against policy and the policy is there for a reason. You might not be familiar with how employment law, or lawsuits work. I am, and my company actually put an employee on paid leave based on an allegation, and I got in trouble over it.

I'm not sure on the player comparison, because the players aren't employees. Employees have to be VERY careful about actions they take against employees that might harm their reputations unduly.

Show us the policy. I don't believe you.

mthoopsfan said:
poorgriz said:

This isn't accurate. MSU isn't waiting for due process. They are waiting for the legal case to be finished. Due process is how the legal and other process is done, and required to be done. It's not the legal result or waiting for the legal result.

No, it is not exactly how the situation should be handled. Many businesses and colleges don't handle a situation like this in this manner. They suspend people. They sometimes fire people.

The 2021-22 MSU handbook says that players will be suspended upon getting a dui. Why wouldn't coaches be treated the same way.

"LEVEL I MISCONDUCT
If the MSU Athletic Department has information which leads it to conclude that a student-athlete has been
violence (the deed assault, battery, etc.),
theft (any degree), drugs (possession, distribution or intent to distribute, etc.), a major alcohol offense (DUI,
providing alcohol to a minor, etc.) or any felony charge, the student-athlete shall be immediately suspended from
intercollegiate athletic participation, which may include practice. The suspension remains in effect until either 1)
the charges are resolved by the legal system; or 2) University or departmental disciplinary measures have been
issued and/or the department lifts or modifies the suspension or the term of the suspension is served.
By suspending the student-athlete, the department is not pre-judging guilt or innocence, rather the suspension
protects the integrity of the department, including all of our student-athletes, when there is an arrest or criminal
charge.
First Offense – The student-athlete will be suspended from competition and may be suspended
from practice. The suspension will not be less than 10% of the team’s scheduled competitions as
listed in Second Offense, Level II infraction. The Athletic Director and/or Head Coach reserve the

• Second Offense – The student-athlete will be suspended from competition for a minimum of one
year and may be suspended from practice and all team activities. The Athletic Director and/or
Termination of scholarship benefits (level I): The Athletic Director or head coach may pursue revocation or
modification of athletically-related financial aid as a consequence of any and all Level I misconduct. Any action to
revoke or modify athletically-related financial aid will be in accordance with NCAA policies and procedures."

In addition, a head coach can basically do what he wants to do with an assistant coach.

Gotchya. So is it safe to assume that if Bobby Hauck gets charged with a DUI tonight, you will demand swift action and punishment from the UM administration? Instant firing, or suspend him and separate him from the team before there have been any legal rulings on anything? That is so unlike you PR.

poorgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

"LEVEL I MISCONDUCT
charge.

Gotchya. So is it safe to assume that if Bobby Hauck gets charged with a DUI tonight, you will demand swift action and punishment from the UM administration? Instant firing, or suspend him and separate him from the team before there have been any legal rulings on anything? That is so unlike you PR.

I can't speak for him, but yes, I thought that was how it usually works with college coaches in this situation.

I have never been the person calling for outright firing immediately. I have said before I think that giving someone a paid suspension to seek treatment is the right and humane way to go. Let it play out after that.

If the person knows they did it, usually they resign. I don't know of many cases that the coach got a DUI wrongly and really tried to fight it, but I think it should still be handled. But yes, that swift response of suspension or some type of action (often resignation) is my understanding of the norm in sports.

I don't think this should ruin anyone's life. I am not even calling to fire someone immediately. But a suspension with pay, with an expectation that they seek help, would seem to be a good response. Bobcat or Grizzly. Addiction is ugly and it sucks. It should be treated with compassion, and without enablement.

poorgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

"LEVEL I MISCONDUCT
charge.

UM doesn’t have any coach with a dui and has nothing to be addressed. MSU has 2 and another with charges. You and MSU need to clean up your house and messes. The dui guys should have been suspended. Just like a player. Then the AD, coach and school gather info and assess.

Until your house is in order, proceed with caution on egriz. You always a troll, but now everyone knows you are a fool too.

poorgriz said:
SoldierGriz said:

It's really that simple.

The last word. It doesn’t make sense. MSU has already shown that it can suspend a coach prior to criminal “due-process” (as they put it in both releases). It just so happens to be that DUI #3 = 3.5 hours. So is that the policy?

The funny part too is that similar things are happening with the players. Very recently, I believe it was 2 weekends ago, there were several cat Football players that were heavily intoxicated at the Rockin R, to the point that the bartender attempted to cut them off for the night. Well this didn’t resonate very well with those players, so their solution was to jump over the bar, proceed to assault the bartender (to what degree, I’m not exactly sure) and continue pouring themselves drinks before they were ultimately kicked out of the bar. Trust me, the problems run much deeper then through the coaches offices. The entire athletic department has a very toxic culture. It’s a shame more of it hasn’t been brought to light!

If anyone would like more details, please PM me!

mthoopsfan said:
poorgriz said:

UM doesn’t have any coach with a dui and has nothing to be addressed. MSU has 2 and another with charges. You and MSU need to clean up your house and messes. The dui guys should have been suspended. Just like a player. Then the AD, coach and school gather info and assess.

Until your house is in order, proceed with caution on egriz. You always a troll, but now everyone knows you are a fool too.

I'm just using the Bobby Hauck example as a hypothetical. What would you tell the UM administration to do if Bobby got charged with DUI tonight? I'm genuinely curious, and you know the law so I'd probably agree with your recommendation for how to handle the Cat coaches.

If you think none of the griz football coaches have ever had a few beers and got behind the wheel......... then you and all the other stone throwers are complete idiots. Yes, I agree none if them are in the position of the two Cat coaches right now, facing legal charges, so it is what it is.

poorgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

I'm just using the Bobby Hauck example as a hypothetical. What would you tell the UM administration to do if Bobby got charged with DUI tonight? I'm genuinely curious, and you know the law so I'd probably agree with your recommendation for how to handle the Cat coaches.

If you think none of the griz football coaches have ever had a few beers and got behind the wheel......... then you and all the other stone throwers are complete idiots. Yes, I agree none if them are in the position of the two Cat coaches right now, facing legal charges, so it is what it is.

You didn’t ask me, but would the DUI charge be his 3rd? Or would it involve an attempted coverup where he drove two vehicles drunk? Important details.

poorgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/870010013900611584

poorgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

I apologise if you are mentally challenged, my intent is never to demean mental challenges or illness. The posters on here are not speculating about what could happen if someone who wasn't charged with a DUI was charged.
What they are discussing is a couple of MSU coaches who did drive around hammered, which did happen.
Montana State -Bozeman, like MSU-Billings or MSU-Northern is payed for by the citizens of Montana. The women and men who "run" the MSU-Bozeman campus have some questions to answer to because some of their junior employees have legal actions which affect their status and tax payer based compensation.

I give pg a modicum of credit for showing up and trying (albeit abjectly failing) to support msDUI’s actions here. He comes off as an idiot but at least he’s giving it the ol’ (drunken) msu college try.

But where are the rest of the bub posters on this issue? I suspect the few reasonable ones are avoiding it because they know the lack of response from msu is shameful and indefensible. The remainder, well, they can’t spell “dui” or count to three so….

Back