• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gubner one of top returning D Line

Who is the two deep? It’s concerning we don’t have another tackle to sub in when needed.

bigkid said:
Who is the two deep? It’s concerning we don’t have another tackle to sub in when needed.

Griz and Griz Nation are lucky to have him, but depth at D-line might be a challenge - no question.

bigkid said:

That is certainly a concern. I've kept waiting for them to announce someone transferring in. I don't know that Harris or any of the younger guys have the size to stand in to give Gubner a break. But I'm also sure that Bradford and the rest of the coaches recognize this. We aren't going to go in to the season without a plan.

ElrodGrizzly said:
bigkid said:

That is certainly a concern. I've kept waiting for them to announce someone transferring in. I don't know that Harris or any of the younger guys have the size to stand in to give Gubner a break. But I'm also sure that Bradford and the rest of the coaches recognize this. We aren't going to go in to the season without a plan.

Normally I would agree but the coaching staffs failure to ensure having an adequate backup QB last year doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Da Boyz Mom said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

Normally I would agree but the coaching staffs failure to ensure having an adequate backup QB last year doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

I am not saying that our backup QB situation worked out well last year, but they had people and a plan. Perhaps some confidence was misplaced in their backups, but they had a full depth chart at QB.

To be clear, though, Brown and Britt both did significantly better than I would have out there, so I try not to criticize the players.

SoldierGriz said:
bigkid said:

Griz and Griz Nation are lucky to have him, but depth at D-line might be a challenge - no question.

A Gub is better than the kid at bozeman. He's the best D-Lineman in the BSC. Though this season, they may need his ball-hawking skills back at corner.

Kaschmitter spelled both guys at nose last year, and didn't play badly. Ramos is the next large body in line, already as big as Gubner. Not sure he is as fast, but if memory serves, he was stolen away from an FBS program. This defense is about occupying spaces, that are sometimes not directly across from where you lined up - speed to the spot and subsequently the ball, are what count. Bridge abutments that can run, are usually swallowed up by the FBS - Montana was lucky to be attractive to a talent like Gubner.

ElrodGrizzly said:
bigkid said:

This is who will rotate in…..he will be the next Dude for sure. Stole him away from FBS and he had offers to a lot of other places. 6’4 285 lbs.

https://gogriz.com/sports/football/roster/jareb-ramos/6820

HookedonGriz said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

This is who will rotate in…..he will be the next Dude for sure. Stole him away from FBS and he had offers to a lot of other places. 6’4 285 lbs.

You're right. He is much bigger than I realized, to be honest. I thought he came in as an end, so that's my bad.

ElrodGrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:

You're right. He is much bigger than I realized, to be honest. I thought he came in as an end, so that's my bad.

All good sir, I think initially he did come in as an end, but the plan was to always get him into the interior. He was pretty darn disruptive in the spring game already.

HookedonGriz said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

All good sir, I think initially he did come in as an end, but the plan was to always get him into the interior. He was pretty darn disruptive in the spring game already.

Well, that is actually great news. It will be interesting to see what our D-Line looks like in the fall. I've heard REALLY good things about Harris as an addition, too. It will be awesome if that position group sees the Griz to becoming even more disruptive.

HookedonGriz said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

He played mostly DE in a 3-down front in HS. Agile and fast enough to play DE, big and strong enough to play inside. Hell of a pass rusher. Had several FBS offers before committing to CSU. Maybe we could see him and Gubner in together in some schemes with Ramos as a McGourin replacement. He was a hell of a pickup out of the CSU fallout.

As some know, I have a friend who is an NFL scout. When asking him if any current Griz are on their radar, he told me that Gubner is.

thirdandlong said:
As some know, I have a friend who is an NFL scout. When asking him if any current Griz are on their radar, he told me that Gubner is.

That is absolutely great news! He has been such an unsung hero of that defense. Without him and Eli clogging up that middle as strongly as they did, our defense would never have done what it did over the last two years.

Back