• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

OT conf realignment: Would UNC leave the BSC?

captain jazz

Since Western Illinois has left the Summit/MVFC for the OVC, the Summit is now down to an uneven nine members (MVFC will have 12).

Considering UNC already plays baseball in the Summit, it’s not too crazy a notion for them to join for all Olympic sports.

If that hypothetical plays out, would the Summit start its own football league? Or would UNC try to join the MVFC? Would the big sky respond by adding new members?

I don't see any scenario that either the Summit or MVC forms its own football league. With WIU leaving, they both have 5 scholarship football schools.

The Summit is a good mid-major basketball conference. I suppose they could add a program like noco, but I don't see how it benefits them.

And I cannot see the MVFC having ANY interest in their football "program".

Thanks to Foolerton's Folly, I'm afraid we're stuck with them until we move to the FBS level.

HelenaHandBasket said:
I don't see any scenario that either the Summit or MVC forms its own football league. With WIU leaving, they both have 5 scholarship football schools.

With Murray State joining the MVC actually has 6 football schools. They only need one more to go on their own.

Meanwhile the Summit has 5 but St Thomas has a non scholly program in the pioneer. They could go fully scholarship and join along with NoCo to be a full football conference too.

A lot of moving parts but not outside the realms of possibility…

I think UNC could go to the WAC and be better off overall. I also think moving Cal Poly and UC-Davis to the WAC (nothing against either school) would be good for both the Big Sky and WAC as a whole. Having 2 Western FCS Conferences would be a good thing for Football and UNC could I believe park all their sports in the WAC. For example, we wouldn't have to stupidily schedule a D2 opponent like we are this year.

captain jazz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

With Murray State joining the MVC actually has 6 football schools. They only need one more to go on their own.

Meanwhile the Summit has 5 but St Thomas has a non scholly program in the pioneer. They could go fully scholarship and join along with NoCo to be a full football conference too.

A lot of moving parts but not outside the realms of possibility…

Well, I did say scholarship schools, because if you want to count non-scholly, the MVC actually has 8 football schools (Drake & Valpo)

St Thomas has 19 teams in the summit league. They would be a logical choice to move up to play in either the summit or MVC. When they get the scholarship situation funded which should be next year or so. They win the pioneer football title this last year but are still in transition for two more years. I would expect a move in 2024.

Back