• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Transfer Tracker 2023-2024

oldrunner said:
While everyone has been focused on what is or is not happening with the new coaches at UI and MSU, and what TD is or isn't doing in the portal, EWU has been quietly putting together a solid recruiting class. They are replacing Venters and Allegri, probably the two best players on their team, which is not an easy task. I don't know if the players they are bringing in can fully replace those two, but they look to be close, at the very least. With what they had returning and what they have brought in, they will still have to be considered at the top of the BSC. Until someone knocks them off that perch, they are number one.

If Dillon Jones pulls out of the NBA draft, then Weber would have to be considered near the top as well, with everyone returning. If DJ does not return to school, then Weber's recruiting class should also be enough to keep them near the top.

UM, losing their top big man would seem to be losing a lot. However, with all of their guards and one of the better 4 men in the BSC returning, along with some serviceable big men brought in, UM also should be considered near the top.

After that, there is enough turnover of players in the BSC to make any further predictions shakey at best. Can't hardly wait!

Dillon Jones apparently had an excellent Draft Combine and may have played himself into second round consideration.

citay said:
oldrunner said:
While everyone has been focused on what is or is not happening with the new coaches at UI and MSU, and what TD is or isn't doing in the portal, EWU has been quietly putting together a solid recruiting class. They are replacing Venters and Allegri, probably the two best players on their team, which is not an easy task. I don't know if the players they are bringing in can fully replace those two, but they look to be close, at the very least. With what they had returning and what they have brought in, they will still have to be considered at the top of the BSC. Until someone knocks them off that perch, they are number one.

If Dillon Jones pulls out of the NBA draft, then Weber would have to be considered near the top as well, with everyone returning. If DJ does not return to school, then Weber's recruiting class should also be enough to keep them near the top.

UM, losing their top big man would seem to be losing a lot. However, with all of their guards and one of the better 4 men in the BSC returning, along with some serviceable big men brought in, UM also should be considered near the top.

After that, there is enough turnover of players in the BSC to make any further predictions shakey at best. Can't hardly wait!

Dillon Jones apparently had an excellent Draft Combine and may have played himself into second round consideration.

That's great for that kid!

UncleRico said:
citay said:

That's great for that kid!
Most of the conversations have already taken place. Dillon only has one or two more workouts and interviews with NBA teams until it is decission time. He has until June 1st to pull out of the draft process. A promise of a first round pick would keep him in the draft for sure. As many have already said, that is not likely to happen. If he had a promise of being a second round pick, then I think it might come down to how solid he and his circle felt that promise was. Second round picks are guaranteed nothing. So, basically, it would be a promise of a promise. He could sign an NBA minimum contract of nealy a half million, He could sign a G league deal for much less, or he could end up not being offered anything and scrambling for an over seas job somewhere. If he waits another year, then his stock could either go up, stay the same, or go down. The only way I see it going down is if he were to have some sort of catastrophic injury. However, he has been quite resilient these past three years.

I'm not saying that he won't choose to stay in the draft for a second round promise. I'm just saying that all aspects of a promise would be considered and wieghted appropriately. If Damian would have come out one year pior to his declairing for the draft, he would not have been a lotery pck and would have lost tens of millions on his contracts. It is a big deal, and not to be taken lightly. To be considered a first round potential pick, Dillon would need to accomplish two things in his Junior year. He would need to get his 3 point shooting percentage up into the high 30s or low 40s, and he would need to get his turn overs down a bit. If he were to do that and keep his scoring and rebounding at a similar level, then a first round pick is not out of the question.

Well, Dillon is back in Ogden and putting in the work needed to elevate his game to the next level. I watched just a little bit of his work the other day. I am truly impressed by his work ethic and desire to improve his game. I don't think anyone will out work him. Although there are a couple of others on the team who seem to be trying to keep up with him. There is a whole different vibe on this team, from what it was last summer. I'm hoping that it all leads to having a great fall and winter.

Everyone looked healthy and eager to work. Our three European recruits won't arrive until fall. They are all at home playing with their national teams over the summer. I'll have to wait for September to get eyes on them. Over half of our team will be from outside of the USA.

oldrunner said:
Well, Dillon is back in Ogden and putting in the work needed to elevate his game to the next level. I watched just a little bit of his work the other day. I am truly impressed by his work ethic and desire to improve his game. I don't think anyone will out work him. Although there are a couple of others on the team who seem to be trying to keep up with him. There is a whole different vibe on this team, from what it was last summer. I'm hoping that it all leads to having a great fall and winter.

Everyone looked healthy and eager to work. Our three European recruits won't arrive until fall. They are all at home playing with their national teams over the summer. I'll have to wait for September to get eyes on them. Over half of our team will be from outside of the USA.

Don't think you've got a monopoly on foreigners...we have players from Bahrain, Canada, Australia, England, Finland, South Sudan and the USA so far.....9 players in all, 4 from Australia alone....Anybody check with the United Nations to see if we have a representative?

sacstateman said:
oldrunner said:

Don't think you've got a monopoly on foreigners...we have players from Bahrain, Canada, Australia, England, Finland, South Sudan and the USA so far.....9 players in all, 4 from Australia alone....Anybody check with the United Nations to see if we have a representative?
There is going to be a lot more of that due to the NIL money that is going out to US players. Non citizens are not allowed to have employment or enter into employment contracts without getting a green card and student visas don't allow for it. Recruiting foreign player is one area where we can all compete on a level playing field. However, I'm sure that the P5 programs will work hard to find a way to get around the law. It's what they do and the NCAA refuses to make them follow any rules. :roll:

oldrunner said:
sacstateman said:
There is going to be a lot more of that due to the NIL money that is going out to US players. Non citizens are not allowed to have employment or enter into employment contracts without getting a green card and student visas don't allow for it. Recruiting foreign player is one area where we can all compete on a level playing field. However, I'm sure that the P5 programs will work hard to find a way to get around the law. It's what they do and the NCAA refuses to make them follow any rules. :roll:

The NIL rules for foreign players are a bit more complicated and uncertain.

"NIL activities are not explicitly permitted or prohibited by law or by F-1 student immigration regulations, and while the NCAA has indicated that international student athletes can “benefit” from their NIL, it has outlined the need for such athletes to consult with their institution “related to maintaining their immigration status and tax implications.”

International student athletes have, however, found a workaround — traveling home or elsewhere abroad to engage in NIL activities. Their participation in NIL deals should not run afoul the current F-1 visa rules as long as he conducts his activities while abroad, because only U.S.-based employment activities are regulated under U.S. immigration laws.

In terms of the limited U.S.-based NIL activities potentially available for international student athletes, some schools have advised that such athletes may limit their domestic activities to those that generate passive income, meaning that such activities do not require the international student-athlete’s active participation and exclude payment for what would be considered “services” or “labor for hire” under U.S. labor laws. NIL compensation does not always involve such labor for hire and may involve purely passive activities that do not constitute employment or services for payment; this income is generally considered acceptable, even though this position has not been explicitly endorsed by DHS. Potentially permissible activities include name licensing, group licensing, and billboard advertising, among others."

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/OpEds/2023/01/23-PaganoHigginsHutson.aspx

ordigger said:
https://twitter.com/victorflores406/status/1651271233034653696?s=46&t=wSnhcACCXMC128wded8kgQ

And his new coach now may not be his coach. :lol:

Huggins arrested for DUI. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. (Not.).

I read a statistic yesterday on the transfer portal this past year. 44% of those who entered the portal this year have still not found a home. Of the 56% who have found a landing spot, less than 10% were considered an upward transfer. The other 90%+ were either a lateral move, or downward.

What does all of that tell us? IMHO, it says that a lot of those hitting the portal are actually guys who have been cut from their teams for a variety of reasons and that a high percentage of those players will end up out of BB alltogether. Of those looking for greener pastures, few actually find what they are looking for. Entering the portal is risky business.

oldrunner said:
I read a statistic yesterday on the transfer portal this past year. 44% of those who entered the portal this year have still not found a home. Of the 56% who have found a landing spot, less than 10% were considered an upward transfer. The other 90%+ were either a lateral move, or downward.

What does all of that tell us? IMHO, it says that a lot of those hitting the portal are actually guys who have been cut from their teams for a variety of reasons and that a high percentage of those players will end up out of BB alltogether. Of those looking for greener pastures, few actually find what they are looking for. Entering the portal is risky business.

Was this just the BB portal or all sports?

MikeyGriz said:
oldrunner said:

Was this just the BB portal or all sports?
Yes. They were only talking about BB.

A prime example is Kieth Dinwiddie. He is a 3* athlete and has all the physical tools to be good. He just doesn't grasp the finer points of the game and doesn't play even near to his potential. I thought a D11 team, or another BSC team, would pick him up, just based on his athletic abilties. So far, nothing. I hope he catches on somewhere. He's a great young man.

Back