• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vigen addresses Zac Crews' 'horrible mistake,' walk-on opportunity

Gonna make an assumption that the Crews haters on this board were recipients of second chances in their lives in some form or another. Hard to understand why you would want to throw away the key on a teenager. Maybe ask yourselves if this was your son, brother or friend, would you feel the same way?

wyomingriz said:
Gonna make an assumption that the Crews haters on this board were recipients of second chances in their lives in some form or another. Hard to understand why you would want to throw away the key on a teenager. Maybe ask yourselves if this was your son, brother or friend, would you feel the same way?
The fact that he felt comfortable saying it at all says a lot about what his family and friends think.

Personally, if that were my son, I'd be seriously worried where I went wrong in raising a kid that thinks saying stuff like that even as a joke is okay, but that's just me.

Bok_Choi said:
mthoopsfan said:
I once heard the Cat basketball coach, from a number of years ago, say that every time he ran into Cruzado on campus, she would come shake his hand and say, "Just win."

When athletics is the front porch of the university, winning is the only thing acceptable. Unfortunately, that doesn't always come with ethics.

This is a funny comment coming from a fan of the ONLY University in Montana to have to vacate games due to a lack of ethics!! :clap: :clap: :thumb:

Butte5518 said:
Bok_Choi said:
When athletics is the front porch of the university, winning is the only thing acceptable. Unfortunately, that doesn't always come with ethics.

This is a funny comment coming from a fan of the ONLY University in Montana to have to vacate games due to a lack of ethics!! :clap: :clap: :thumb:

What were the "lack of ethics"?

Butte5518 said:
Bok_Choi said:

emlfw7uwP8Fsyc9IUpEp7AAAAAASUVORK5CYII.png

uofmman1122 said:
wyomingriz said:
The fact that he felt comfortable saying it at all says a lot about what his family and friends think.

Personally, if that were my son, I'd be seriously worried where I went wrong in raising a kid that thinks saying stuff like that even as a joke is okay, but that's just me.

Good point! Personally, i too would be extremely disappointed at my son take and take a hard look at myself as a father as well. In the end we want our kids to learn from mistakes, not repeat them, and become better for it. There are many examples of young people, especially in pro sports, who did stupid things, got a second chance and proved themselves

wyomingriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

Good point! Personally, i too would be extremely disappointed at my son take and take a hard look at myself as a father as well. In the end we want our kids to learn from mistakes, not repeat them, and become better for it. There are many examples of young people, especially in pro sports, who did stupid things, got a second chance and proved themselves
I think nearly everyone here is glad he's getting a second chance.
Some of us, however, aren't losing sleep that there were consequences for his actions.
Also, many of us feel the situation was handled poorly at UM.

GrizMania said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Totally. Anyone who has been around these parts knows I can barely read. Just was trying to give you some praise is all. It’s awesome that you make more in a month than that English prof makes in a year. Fully rad, and not douchey at all to say.

CDA, remember how alphagriz used to spout off about making more in a month than _________? Good times...good times.

Lol, I don't remember that, actually. I didn't realize you were around in those days. What was your handle back then?

GrizMania said:
wyomingriz said:
Some of us, however, aren't losing sleep that there were consequences for his actions.

How could the situation have been handled better at UM?

mthoopsfan said:
GrizMania said:

Players I talked to thought it would have been better to not have him lie low. That sort of thing doesn't work well these days.
If you're of the opinion it was handled without flaw, fine.
But it sounds like keeping it quiet wasn't what Crews wanted either. So there is that.

GrizMania said:
mthoopsfan said:

Players I talked to thought it would have been better to not have him lie low. That sort of thing doesn't work well these days.
But it sounds like keeping it quiet wasn't what Crews wanted either. So there is that.

He did communicate with one or more players early. That apparently didn't go well. It was a strategy of UM to ask him not to reach out to more players. There is no assurance whatsoever that his talking to players sooner than later would have caused anything to be different. Talking to players wouldn't have placated the faculty members who were against him. I assume that talking to players wouldn't have stopped the Kaimin article.

Your opinion is no more valid than my view. It's just your opinion. You can't possibly know what talking to other players sooner would have resulted in.

I assume you don't think that UM picked this strategy because they thought it was the worst one, or were trying to screw Crews? In situations like this, you make your best decision based on what you know and what you think at the time. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes nothing is going to work. It's easy to criticize after the fact. However, it doesn't make your view correct.

mthoopsfan said:
GrizMania said:

He did communicate with one or more players early. That apparently didn't go well. It was a strategy of UM to ask him not to reach out to more players. There is no assurance whatsoever that his talking to players sooner than later would have caused anything to be different. Talking to players wouldn't have placated the faculty members who were against him. I assume that talking to players wouldn't have stopped the Kaimin article.

Your opinion is no more valid than my view. It's just your opinion. You can't possibly know what talking to other players sooner would have resulted in.

I assume you don't think that UM picked this strategy because they thought it was the worst one, or were trying to screw Crews? In situations like this, you make your best decision based on what you know and what you think at the time. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes nothing is going to work. It's easy to criticize after the fact. However, it doesn't make your view correct.

Indeed. I fully realize it's my opinion. And I do respect your opinion. It's quite easy in hindsight to point out what we might be done differently. So even I like disclosure, I can see why UM went that way. One thing UM or Hauck MIGHT have done is told Crews it wasn't looking good and allow him time to get on somewhere else...thats a huge maybe, and perhaps wouldn't have worked out.
All in all, I'm not all upset with UM or coach Hauck. ...nor would it matter if I was.

GrizMania said:
mthoopsfan said:

Indeed. I fully realize it's my opinion. And I do respect your opinion. It's quite easy in hindsight to point out what we might be done differently. So even I like disclosure, I can see why UM went that way. One thing UM or Hauck MIGHT have done is told Crews it wasn't looking good and allow him time to get on somewhere else...thats a huge maybe, and perhaps wouldn't have worked out.
All in all, I'm not all upset with UM or coach Hauck. ...nor would it matter if I was.

I'm good with all that. I hope to learn more when I get back to MT.

mthoopsfan said:
GrizMania said:

I'd be curious to hear what you're told.
Opinion: if Hauck thought Crews was a major racist he'd not have entertained the idea of him being on the team.

GrizMania said:
mthoopsfan said:

Opinion: if Hauck thought Crews was a major racist he'd not have entertained the idea of him being on the team.

So far, I have nothing other what I've read, heard from a couple egriz posters, and heard directly or indirectly from Dane, Rob Stanton, and some Sentinel teammates. Everything was positive. I also heard from a couple Griz defensive players, and while they didn't know specifics, they said they had not been consulted and they thought he should have been allowed to join the Griz. Several of the people said they didn't believe he was racist at all, and have never heard anything like that about him. I don't have anything from UM people, yet.

My conclusion, as a POC who had 2 kids play sports at Sentinel and who lived a block from Sentinel, is that he is not racist, and what he said wasn't intended to be racist either. Just a dumb thing to say, and it got public. The punishment is way worse than the crime, in my view. Also, I don't like non-POC people trying to tell me what racism is.

GrizMania said:
mthoopsfan said:

I believe both of you have very good points, glad he found a home, just bummed it couldn't work out as a Griz

mthoopsfan said:
GrizMania said:

So far, I have nothing other what I've read, heard from a couple egriz posters, and heard directly or indirectly from Dane, Rob Stanton, and some Sentinel teammates. Everything was positive. I also heard from a couple Griz defensive players, and while they didn't know specifics, they said they had not been consulted and they thought he should have been allowed to join the Griz. Several of the people said they didn't believe he was racist at all, and have never heard anything like that about him. I don't have anything from UM people, yet.

My conclusion, as a POC who had 2 kids play sports at Sentinel and who lived a block from Sentinel, is that he is not racist, and what he said wasn't intended to be racist either. Just a dumb thing to say, and it got public. The punishment is way worse than the crime, in my view. Also, I don't like non-POC people trying to tell me what racism is.

I hope your kids had Jim Cusker as a teacher. He was amazing.

mthoopsfan said:
GrizMania said:

There is more secrecy about this than about the U.S. military. 'Above Top Secret' is the mantra of this fiasco. If you find out any more, please PM me.

wyomingriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

Or they pull an Antonio Brown, get a 100 chances and feel invisible and then enable yourself to become the ultimate douche.

Chances lead to beliefs that they can do bad things and get away with it.

Griz Addict said:
wyomingriz said:

Or they pull an Antonio Brown, get a 100 chances and feel invisible and then enable yourself to become the ultimate douche.

Chances lead to beliefs that they can do bad things and get away with it.

Thank god you are not a high school coach

Back