• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Good OL' Grizzlies Collective - Fight On Montana

BadlandsGrizFan said:
So I listened to the interview and I would say first. Thank you to Toby. He’s in the right direction and has put a ton of work into this.

That being said what he HS created is more of a sports agency for college athletes which seems different to what the models say for a large Texas school are using.

The IVOVI and GoodOlGrizzly businesses are more NIL economy services rather than what the bigger schools are doing which is using NIL money to help get kids come to their programs. Now the use in recruiting is illegal but that’s what the functions of true NIL Collectives are carefully but affective y being used for. I’m talking with coworkers who are boosters at large Texas schools….their collective really function more as banks….collect money distribute money. Money in money out.

I think to properly set one of these up it needs a financial dept, legal department, marketing dept. It’s a company on its own and I just didn’t get the sense from Toby that this is what we’re getting. And we need to get it right. Montana with its fan base and following at this level would benefit from a properly functioning Collective more than most programs.

What you are talking about is being put together right now. It is being supported by the school and athletic department as well. I would wait until this gets off the ground before I contributed a single dollar. I'm certain you will see something soon as the people involved realize the importance of this in order to get the athletes excited.

hubcap said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
So I listened to the interview and I would say first. Thank you to Toby. He’s in the right direction and has put a ton of work into this.

That being said what he HS created is more of a sports agency for college athletes which seems different to what the models say for a large Texas school are using.

The IVOVI and GoodOlGrizzly businesses are more NIL economy services rather than what the bigger schools are doing which is using NIL money to help get kids come to their programs. Now the use in recruiting is illegal but that’s what the functions of true NIL Collectives are carefully but affective y being used for. I’m talking with coworkers who are boosters at large Texas schools….their collective really function more as banks….collect money distribute money. Money in money out.

I think to properly set one of these up it needs a financial dept, legal department, marketing dept. It’s a company on its own and I just didn’t get the sense from Toby that this is what we’re getting. And we need to get it right. Montana with its fan base and following at this level would benefit from a properly functioning Collective more than most programs.

What you are talking about is being put together right now. It is being supported by the school and athletic department as well. I would wait until this gets off the ground before I contributed a single dollar. I'm certain you will see something soon as the people involved realize the importance of this in order to get the athletes excited.

But the school and athletic department can’t be associated with NIL money

BadlandsGrizFan said:
hubcap said:

They won't be. "Supported" might have been a poor word to use. "Liked" might be a better word. They have had no input in the process but it would be foolish to think they haven't been consulted with.

hubcap said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

They won't be. "Supported" might have been a poor word to use. "Liked" might be a better word. They have had no input in the process but it would be foolish to think they haven't been consulted with.

So is it looking like we’re going to have multiple Collectives or collective like businesses?

Wondering if this is typical.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
hubcap said:

So is it looking like we’re going to have multiple Collectives or collective like businesses?

I’ve noticed at other schools, especially bigger ones, it’s very common for there to be multiple collectives, but eventually they seem to merge together, unless they are dedicated to different sports.

The new one will be up and running soon for sure. Whether or not the one that is referred to in the thread stays is up to him. But considering he has had this for over a year and no athletes are benefitting, I would say the writing is on the wall for his. The new one will be much different and have plenty of support from well known people, including some on this message board.

uofmman1122 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

I’ve noticed at other schools, especially bigger ones, it’s very common for there to be multiple collectives, but eventually they seem to merge together, unless they are dedicated to different sports.

Not 100% certain, but it seems as if the deal Junior signed recently isn't related to the GOG collective. So NIL can be whatever you want it to be if you have the funds to devote to it, can atrract the right parties and play within the rules as we know them. I read on their website that 80% of bozemans footballers are signed on to their effort.

I heard yesterday on Herder's podcast that NDSU is moving into their $55M indoor facility, and have almost completely endowed their scholarships for all sports. So going forward, it doesn't matter what circumstance might be present, they can zig or zag as they see fit. I know, it's a captain obvious moment, but it's about the have and have nots.

Bok_Choi said:
uofmman1122 said:

Not 100% certain, but it seems as if the deal Junior signed recently isn't related to the GOG collective. So NIL can be whatever you want it to be if you have the funds to devote to it, can atrract the right parties and play within the rules as we know them. I read on their website that 80% of bozemans footballers are signed on to their effort.

I heard yesterday on Herder's podcast that NDSU is moving into their $55M indoor facility, and have almost completely endowed their scholarships for all sports. So going forward, it doesn't matter what circumstance might be present, they can zig or zag as they see fit. I know, it's a captain obvious moment, but it's about the have and have nots.
I know there are a lot of UM players doing NIL deals outside of collectives, so Junior's might be like that. My comment was based on anecdotal google searches for collectives at other big schools, so it's certainly not exhaustive.

Other schools seem to be doing a lot better than us at this whole thing.

It seems as of right now that in terms of NIL capacity, UM is very much still in the "have-nots" category until we get things moving, unless there are massive things going on behind the scenes.

uofmman1122 said:
Bok_Choi said:

I know there are a lot of UM players doing NIL deals outside of collectives, so Junior's might be like that. My comment was based on anecdotal google searches for collectives at other big schools, so it's certainly not exhaustive.

Other schools seem to be doing a lot better than us at this whole thing.

It seems as of right now that in terms of NIL capacity, UM is very much still in the "have-nots" category until we get things moving, unless there are massive things going on behind the scenes.

If the recent Poll that was sent out to the QB Club Members is an indicator, it seems like UM NIL Collective(s) are going to be on teh fast-track soon just based on the questions asked.

Back