• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Go Cats!

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:
The stock of both Bannan and Battle will likely improve with another year playing in college. They continue to improve every year. You don't know enough about basketball to know if either could get drafted after next season.

“He is a big-time talent,” K-State head coach Jerome Tang said. “He was making tough shots, and that’s what big-time players do. … You can just see that confidence he has as a player. We were trying to limit his touches, and he just pulls up and made big shot after big shot.”

Again, don’t care about your anecdotal quotes of people just doing their jobs. We know he’s a phenomenal college basketball player. This is about his potential as a pro. Teams know what they’re getting at this point. He’s an Uber athlete mid range shot creator, that will not hit nba 3s at a consistent level. He’s also already 22 years old. He’d need both a massive playmaking and shooting leap in order to get drafted. But, just looking at the way he shoots, it’s unlikely to happen. He has a high set release with a lot of elevation, resulting in a flatter shot, that is good for a mid range shot creator, but limits his potential as a 3 point shooter. Think Derrick Rose, Uber athlete mold of shooters. The NBA will not draft a subpar playmaker who cannot make 3s, if they don’t think the guy can score at least 20 a night. They just won’t. If he was going to be drafted, he’d be on boards already. Again, look at Julian Strawther. That’s the bar for a late first-early second round pick. He’s only 20, shoots 3s at an nba level. Also a subpar playmaker. Puts up better numbers for a better team.

Bannan on the other hand, has 0 shot at the nba. He could go pro now in Australia, and have a year of developing against grown men vs the big sky. For him, it’s all about where he wants to be. “Improving his stock” is just ending up in Australia a year later.

The KS coach was just doing his job by commenting on Battle? Oh really.

You are zero knowledge of the game of basketball, and almost everything you say about basketball is wrong.

A coach against the Griz in a game this season mentioned Bannan as a possible NBA talent.'

I will take the views of college coaches over your view anyway and everyday. You have admitted that you never played basketball and have self-taught yourself basketball. You are a kid with a big mouth who doesn't understand the game.

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 said:
Again, don’t care about your anecdotal quotes of people just doing their jobs. We know he’s a phenomenal college basketball player. This is about his potential as a pro. Teams know what they’re getting at this point. He’s an Uber athlete mid range shot creator, that will not hit nba 3s at a consistent level. He’s also already 22 years old. He’d need both a massive playmaking and shooting leap in order to get drafted. But, just looking at the way he shoots, it’s unlikely to happen. He has a high set release with a lot of elevation, resulting in a flatter shot, that is good for a mid range shot creator, but limits his potential as a 3 point shooter. Think Derrick Rose, Uber athlete mold of shooters. The NBA will not draft a subpar playmaker who cannot make 3s, if they don’t think the guy can score at least 20 a night. They just won’t. If he was going to be drafted, he’d be on boards already. Again, look at Julian Strawther. That’s the bar for a late first-early second round pick. He’s only 20, shoots 3s at an nba level. Also a subpar playmaker. Puts up better numbers for a better team.

Bannan on the other hand, has 0 shot at the nba. He could go pro now in Australia, and have a year of developing against grown men vs the big sky. For him, it’s all about where he wants to be. “Improving his stock” is just ending up in Australia a year later.

You are zero knowledge of the game of basketball, and almost everything you say about basketball is wrong.

A coach against the Griz in a game this season mentioned Bannan as a possible NBA talent.'

I will take the views of college coaches over your view anyway and everyday. You have admitted that you never played basketball and have self-taught yourself basketball. You are a kid with a big mouth who doesn't understand the game.
Whatever man. Argue with these stats. Bannan and Battle are not NBA players.

These are the only wings who are upperclassman projected to be drafted this year(BR latest mock). This is who they play for and what they average, and how old they are.

30-Strawther Gonzaga- 3 seed
20 years old 6’7 210- 15.5 PPG on 49%FG, 43% for 3

34- Council IV Arkansas- 8 seed
21 years old, 6’6 205- 16 PPG 44/27.5 splits

36- Wilson Kansas- 1 seed
Unanimous big 12 POY
22 years old, 6’8 225- 20.2 PPG 43/34 splits

40-Jaquez UCLA- 2 seed
22 years old, 6’7 225- 17.3 PPG 48/32 splits

44- Shannon Jr Illinois- 9 seed
22 years old, 6’6 215- 17.2 PPG 44/32 splits

50– Jaylen Clark UCLA- 2 seed
PAC-12 DPOY
21 years old- 6’5 210- 13 PPG 48/33 splits

54-Scheiremann Creighton- 6 seed
22 years old 6’7 205- 13 PPG 42/36 splits
Career 39% for 3 on nearly 5 attempts per game

55- Peterson USC- 10 seed
23 years old 6’8 14 PPG 44/36 splits

60- Ben Sheppard Belmont
21 years old 6’6 19 PPG 47/42 splits

The only mid major guy on this entire list is well above 40% for 3 on 6 attempts per game. Playing in a better conference, for a better team than either the Griz or Cats, and a full 2 years younger than Battle would be next year. Math ain’t mathing

Bannon is a great player. But to think he has a shot at the NBA is delusional. Battle I have no idea cuz i don't watch cats games

UMFan12 said:
mtgrizrule said:
Battle won't leave. He's used his 1 time transfer. If he transfers again before graduation, he sits a year.

Bannan still has the option. Why leave though? He's the man here, every key player returns, they'll be contenders next year.
If he leaves, it will be for overseas pro money, not a transfer.
Bannan has Aussie ties. Could decide to forego eligibility to play pro in Australia. Battle has already played 4 college seasons. His stock as a pro realistically won’t get that much better playing a 5th college season that he’d be 23 years old at the end of, so he could also choose to forego his remaining eligibility. Don’t think either is likely, but wouldn’t be shocked. Neither is getting drafted, so it comes down to overseas money vs NIL. Or just wanting to stay in college.

Did I not mention Bannan and overseas opportunities? I did.

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 said:
Bannan has Aussie ties. Could decide to forego eligibility to play pro in Australia. Battle has already played 4 college seasons. His stock as a pro realistically won’t get that much better playing a 5th college season that he’d be 23 years old at the end of, so he could also choose to forego his remaining eligibility. Don’t think either is likely, but wouldn’t be shocked. Neither is getting drafted, so it comes down to overseas money vs NIL. Or just wanting to stay in college.

The stock of both Bannan and Battle will likely improve with another year playing in college. They continue to improve every year. You don't know enough about basketball to know if either could get drafted after next season.

I feel Battle and Bannan’s stock would actually go down next year. For the overwhelming majority of players, the longer you stay in college, the older you get the less attractive you are to the NBA.

Battle’s best bet would be the G-League or Europe next year. His second best bet would be a P-5. There is pretty much nothing he could do in the Big Sky next year to improve his pro stock.

Battle has the pro physical tools which are attractive, but I find him a little overrated. He is billed as a shooter, but this year shot 32% from 3 in conference. In 3 games against “A” level competition this year he shot 4-18 (22%) from 3. He also averaged less than 3 rebounds (Moody was a better rebounder at 3.4) and less than 1 assist a game this year. He is not a good enough scorer to be strictly that in the NBA and he doesn’t do much else. I do believe his physical tools would allow him to be a good defensive player if he chose to lock in on that.

Unless Bannan has some academic goals he wants to reach at Montana, he should go to Europe/Australia. His foreign passport makes him even more attractive to foreign teams. Don’t see him as an NBA prospect but he could make good money in Europe for a long, long, time. One more year at Montana isn’t moving the needle for him.

mtgrizrule said:
UMFan12 said:

Did I not mention Bannan and overseas opportunities? I did.
You did. Was just pointing out why battle might leave too.

"NCAA Tournament 2023: 4 breakout star candidates to watch"

"RaeQuan Battle – No. 14 Montana State

My favorite opening-round upset for this year’s tournament is No. 14 Montana State to take down No. 3 Kansas State. The Wildcats are one of the weakest three seeds I remember, ranking 25th in KenPom. Kansas State has lost seven of the last eight games they’ve played away from their home gym.

Enter an experienced Montana State team who has been fantastic the last two seasons under Danny Sprinkle. I’m aware that the Bobcats got smacked around by Texas Tech in last year’s dance (97-62), but this team is 28 spots higher in KenPom, and has a star player that is ready to go.

RaeQuan Battle has experienced a major breakout in year four of his college career. Battle transferred to Montana State after two years of limited playing time for the Washington Huskies. Last season, Battle won the Big Sky Sixth Man of the Year Award coming off the bench for the Bobcats. This year, he was First Team All-Big Sky, and more than doubled his scoring average from 8.5 points to 17.4.

The 6’5” 190 lbs guard is a walking bucket. He’s super athletic and has a ton of bounce. He can create shots for himself off the dribble, as well as elevate and shoot three-pointers over anybody. In the Big Sky Tournament semifinals, he threw down an alley-oop in the final seconds of double overtime in a total slugfest victory over Weber State. That was a special play, and that’s the type of player he is. Across three conference tournament games, Battle scored 21, 17, and 25 points.

Evidenced by his two years in the Pac-12, I feel confident in saying that Battle is a high-major talent. And he’s really grown into his own this year.

With his talent profile and big-time shot-making ability, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Battle turn in a special performance or two in the NCAA Tournament and make a name for himself. Kansas State doesn’t scare me at all, and Battle has some dudes alongside him in Jubrile Belo, Darius Brown, and Great Osobor who can help lead him to victory."

https://bustingbrackets.com/2023/03/15/ncaa-tournament-2023-4-breakout-star-candidates-watch/3/

griznative24 said:
Bannon is a great player. But to think he has a shot at the NBA is delusional. Battle I have no idea cuz i don't watch cats games

This is what the Troy coach said. I think he knows more about basketball talent than you do.

"Josh Bannan was named the Zootown Classic MVP. He averaged 14.3 points, 13.3 rebounds and 5.7 assists in the three tournament games.

“Bannan, to me, is one of the best post players that I’ve ever seen at any level,” Cross said. “Watching him on tape, he scares you to death. He’s 6-10. He can shoot it. He can drive you. He can come off the pick and roll. He can pass it. It’s hard to double him in the post because he can pass it. His footwork is amazing. I think he can play in the NBA. He’s that talented in my opinion."

Missoulian article.

GrizBall said:
mthoopsfan said:

I feel Battle and Bannan’s stock would actually go down next year. For the overwhelming majority of players, the longer you stay in college, the older you get the less attractive you are to the NBA.

Battle’s best bet would be the G-League or Europe next year. His second best bet would be a P-5. There is pretty much nothing he could do in the Big Sky next year to improve his pro stock.

Battle has the pro physical tools which are attractive, but I find him a little overrated. He is billed as a shooter, but this year shot 32% from 3 in conference. In 3 games against “A” level competition this year he shot 4-18 (22%) from 3. He also averaged less than 3 rebounds (Moody was a better rebounder at 3.4) and less than 1 assist a game this year. He is not a good enough scorer to be strictly that in the NBA and he doesn’t do much else. I do believe his physical tools would allow him to be a good defensive player if he chose to lock in on that.

Unless Bannan has some academic goals he wants to reach at Montana, he should go to Europe/Australia. His foreign passport makes him even more attractive to foreign teams. Don’t see him as an NBA prospect but he could make good money in Europe for a long, long, time. One more year at Montana isn’t moving the needle for him.

Battle is currently shooting 35.3% from 3, 47% overall, and 83% from the line. Battle is already a very good defensive player.

mthoopsfan said:
griznative24 said:

This is what the Troy coach said. I think he knows more about basketball talent than you do.

"Josh Bannan was named the Zootown Classic MVP. He averaged 14.3 points, 13.3 rebounds and 5.7 assists in the three tournament games.

“Bannan, to me, is one of the best post players that I’ve ever seen at any level,” Cross said. “Watching him on tape, he scares you to death. He’s 6-10. He can shoot it. He can drive you. He can come off the pick and roll. He can pass it. It’s hard to double him in the post because he can pass it. His footwork is amazing. I think he can play in the NBA. He’s that talented in my opinion."

Missoulian article.
Bannan is a very talented Big Sky basketball player. He doesn’t have the shooting or the athleticism to play in the NBA. Again, you underestimate the difficulty of making an nba roster. Statistically the hardest to make it of any of the major sports.

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:

These are the only wings who are upperclassman projected to be drafted this year(BR latest mock). This is who they play for and what they average, and how old they are.

Unanimous big 12 POY

40-Jaquez UCLA- 2 seed

PAC-12 DPOY

60- Ben Sheppard Belmont

The only mid major guy on this entire list is well above 40% for 3 on 6 attempts per game. Playing in a better conference, for a better team than either the Griz or Cats, and a full 2 years younger than Battle would be next year. Math ain’t mathing

How many of them scored 27 points, and were 3-5 from 3 and 9-17 overall in the ncaa tourney so far?

Battle's average this season is more than all but 2 of those guys. What are splits? If the last number is for 3's, Battle is better than 5 of them and about the same as 2 of them.

Will Cherry shot 17, 23, 37 and 26. Played a few games in the NBA.

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 said:

Unanimous big 12 POY

40-Jaquez UCLA- 2 seed

PAC-12 DPOY

60- Ben Sheppard Belmont

How many of them scored 27 points, and were 3-5 from 3 and 9-17 overall in the ncaa tourney so far?
Scouts don’t draft from one game sample size. All of those guys provide just as much, and in most cases, more, to teams that are way better while also being years younger. Unless you want to tell me current RaeQuan Battle is better than these guys will be in 1-2 years? It’s just not going to happen

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:
Scouts don’t draft from one game sample size. All of those guys provide just as much, and in most cases, more, to teams that are way better while also being years younger. Unless you want to tell me current RaeQuan Battle is better than these guys will be in 1-2 years? It’s just not going to happen

I didn't ask how scouts drafted. I asked how many of the guys on your list scored 27 and shot those percentages, so far in the tournament.

I am saying Battle is an NBA prospect, and I know that for a fact. Have no idea if he will ever make the NBA. I get my info from coaches, not from bozos like you.

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 said:

I didn't ask how scouts drafted. I asked how many of the guys on your list scored 27 and shot those percentages, so far in the tournament.

I am saying Battle is an NBA prospect, and I know that for a fact. Have no idea if he will ever make the NBA. I get my info from coaches, not from bozos like you.

I have watched a lot of bb in my life including being at every Big East tournament for the first 12 years of the conference. I saw the best. Battle will get interest from the NBA. Will he make it? I say he will get into the development league.

In other Cats news. Not sure the move makes sense for Sprinkle. But NMSU at one time was a far better job and has better pay.(300k v 185)
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1637538429809336321?s=20

mthoopsfan said:
griznative24 said:

Missoulian article.

Thanks for the quote. I will be sticking to my opinion. If he makes to the NBA, I'll be happy to be wrong and happy for his success.

If it were 20-30 years ago, Bannan probably makes an NBA roster. Seems unlikely in todays NBA. He’s a phenomenal college player, but he isn’t long enough, athletic enough, a good enough shooter, or defender, to play as a big man in the NBA. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got a try out, but if he ever makes a game day roster I’d be shocked. Again, great college player, just doesn’t really fit todays nba playing style.

Back