• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Travis

Grizfan-24 said:
I can tell you that Coach Meuchel and her staffs approach on how to manage games is analytically driven and data informed. Maybe there are situations that ask for bunts but the data suggests and there is a whole mountain of it (seen a couple of other college programs data on it), that based upon how teams play defense these days in the game of collegiate softball it is increasingly hard to move the runner over via sacrifice. Her program isn't the only one to use it, rather it has been wholly embraced by many SEC/Pac 12 programs.

Not perfect by any means, and data driven work isn't infallible, but the odds are with players making contact on swing leading to better outcomes than a standard sacrifice. The data trends are a bit more starkly anti-bunt in softball than baseball because of the ability of the defense to get the lead runner in a true sacrifice situation. Teams have used other strategies more frequently, including a return of the slap and tactical swings to induce certain outcomes. Coach Meuchel has recruited players whose swings translate to the college level. They struck out less than anyone last year, but struggled in converting the high OBP/BA into runs. That in some ways was the difference between the team being successful, and they think that lineup will be able to provide the extra base punch that it lacked last year that really limited their ability to get big innings.

My understanding is the staff feels that the biggest improvement this year is going to be on the hill where the depth is going to be vastly better than a year ago. They allowed a ton of traffic last year, struck out a league low, and if they find away to be better than a year ago on the bump, this team as well as it does play defense should be in good position to see success.

Good info, sounds like you might have an inside connection. Have you been talking with coaches dad😁? I do feel that last years lineup was one of the most complete lineups we’ve had top to bottom. McGrath and Sellars are obviously very hard to replace but I think that this years lineup may be just as impactful and definitely agree the pitching staff will be improved. For one, Butterfield and Brock got a crap ton of experience last year and a healthy Joseph and 2 pretty good Fr will help ease the workload. The biggest question mark for me will be the infield defense. Replacing a four year starter at 3rd with relatively unproven talent will be difficult. I think Jaxie will be fine at short and Curtis back at 2nd and Jablonski at first should be ok. I think our defensive outfield will be stellar also with essentially 2 CF’ers in Ontiveros and Phelps. Jantzi has to prove herself but RF is usually where you want to put that person. Stanfield, the Yakima transfer could make some noise too. If Riley Stockton can pick up where she left off in fall ball where she got more RBI’s then all of last spring season, then I think our batting order will be pretty solid. All in all, we will definitely be an improved overall team and should definitely be in contention for a title. Getting Sac and WSU at home should help our conference season record but I believe that only dictates who host the con tourney next year if I’m not mistaken. I believe this years tourney is already set for Ogden since Weber was the regular season champs last year. For what it’s worth, I think that’s one of the dumbest rules there is.

Griz til I die said:
https://twitter.com/BigSkyConf/status/1620466981764988930?s=20&t=7bqj51SLJmjl0IGnmZeH7A
What are the odds of that? The preseason poll came out today and the Griz are picked to finish 4th. Weber and Sac tied for 1st.

Seems fair.

AZGrizFan said:
Well, one things for certain…we can rest easy worrying about some P5 school scooping him up.

The bloom is definitely off his rose at this point.

AZ, can you please retitle this thread to Grizzly Softball? Thanks in advance😁.

alabamagrizzly said:
Griz til I die said:
https://twitter.com/BigSkyConf/status/1620466981764988930?s=20&t=7bqj51SLJmjl0IGnmZeH7A
What are the odds of that? The preseason poll came out today and the Griz are picked to finish 4th. Weber and Sac tied for 1st.

Seems fair.

I defininitely need to get to more softball games this season.

Well if they are using all these high tech analytics, it’s failing them….miserably. When you refuse to bunt runners over who are on first and second with zero outs, that’s insanity. It’s one thing if the girl at the plate is a 500 hitter with 24 home runs and rarely strikes out but we usually don’t have that hitter in that situation….in fact often times we have a bad hitter who absolutely should be bunting. With short base paths and speed on the bases, a good bunt is pretty damn impossible to defend even if they crash hard. If the defense is able to throw someone out at second or third then the bunt was a bad bunt, and the execution failed.

I swear 9 times out of 10 I’m that situation, I would watch coach let the batter swing away only to end up in a double play ball or a strikeout or a fielders choice and a couple batters later the inning was over with no runs generated at all. Huge missed opportunities. I can guarantee you the teams that are kicking ass and scoring lots of runs are dominating in the small ball opportunities.

Needs to be fired!!! As I said in December when Havre played us tight. He has destroyed our basketball program! We’ll be lucky if we don’t finish in the bottom 3rd of this powerhouse conference. I’m embarrassed to be a Griz b ball fan currently. I guess we’re all a little spoiled from coaches like Montgomery, Krystowiak, & Tinkle. Please Haslem fire this guy before it’s too late..if it’s not already!

Griznation02 said:
Needs to be fired!!! As I said in December when Havre played us tight. He has destroyed our basketball program! We’ll be lucky if we don’t finish in the bottom 3rd of this powerhouse conference. I’m embarrassed to be a Griz b ball fan currently. I guess we’re all a little spoiled from coaches like Montgomery, Krystowiak, & Tinkle. Please Haslem fire this guy before it’s too late..if it’s not already!

Best coach in the athletic department.

Back