• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Media importance

mtgrizrule

Let's discuss, Griz Football, Basketball, and the media.

My favorite FBS school is Nebraska. Since the hiring of Coach Rhule, the Omaha World Herald has dramatically increased their positive coverage of the program. Most every day, there are new articles, features etc regarding different aspects of the program. Of late, they've featured new recruits coming into the program.

At 1 point, the media was the best and worst for their program. Somehow, apparently a healthy relationship has been restored. It's nice get to know these recruits, coaches, and program during the off season.

It's immensely helping Coach Rhule rebuild the program. In turn, strengthening the relationship with Nebraska fans. It's giving them excitement and hope again. Hell, I'm over 1,000 miles away, and I'm pumped again for the Huskers! I'd rather be pumped for the Griz also.

Thanks to Nebaska media and the Huskers, I'm thinking, why can't this happen for Montana? I'd love to see Coach Hauck, all Griz programs, to start a clean slate with the Missouluan and all Montana media.

If it can't be done with Bobby, and current administration, who can do this? Follow Nebraska, and that will give the blueprint of how to do this. Thoughts, suggestions, etc.

mtgrizrule said:

My favorite FBS school is Nebraska. Since the hiring of Coach Rhule, the Omaha World Herald has dramatically increased their positive coverage of the program. Most every day, there are new articles, features etc regarding different aspects of the program. Of late, they've featured new recruits coming into the program.

At 1 point, the media was the best and worst for their program. Somehow, apparently a healthy relationship has been restored. It's nice get to know these recruits, coaches, and program during the off season.

It's immensely helping Coach Rhule rebuild the program. In turn, strengthening the relationship with Nebraska fans. It's giving them excitement and hope again. Hell, I'm over 1,000 miles away, and I'm pumped again for the Huskers! I'd rather be pumped for the Griz also.

Thanks to Nebaska media and the Huskers, I'm thinking, why can't this happen for Montana? I'd love to see Coach Hauck, all Griz programs, to start a clean slate with the Missouluan and all Montana media.

If it can't be done with Bobby, and current administration, who can do this? Follow Nebraska, and that will give the blueprint of how to do this. Thoughts, suggestions, etc.
The Missoulian was at least as negative while BH was gone.

Well when your program has been national irrelevant for the last two decades after the success they had the previously, then all the media can do is hope every coaching change.

I do believe Rhule is a good hire and the optimism is coming around in Nebraska because he is landing some big recruits off if his previous success as well as Nebraskas administration and Boosters willing to go all in $ wise to get back to national prominence both by investing in the program and NIL. Remember Frost had the same optimism and his lack of success (not producing winning records) left the media very bitter given he was the prodigal son and supposed savior.

In this instance you’re comparing apples to oranges. Nebraska is the only show in town, professionally or otherwise. They have a financial backing that most schools can’t even dream of, just look at that sellout streak. What would Montana be able to do if every single game was sold out due to businesses stepping up and buying out unsold tickets, investing in NIL, and full state backing??? The Missoulian has done us no favors dating back a decade. Due to the sale of all the biggger papers around the state and their love the east side of the state, we’ve lost a lot of positive coverage.

Just curious what media you want us to lean into? The Missoulian now only picks up stories off the wire for the most part, but a local beat writer who is young energetic and realistic. There is content in social media and podcasts as well as radio between Riley and Colter(colter devotes a split amount of time to the griz and cats and has been growing his brand instead of just locally). Even if Hauck was open and forthcoming with new information and changes, would our footprint grow?

mtgrizrule said:

The Missoulian has lost a lot of good reporters over the years. I get what you are saying about positive coverage. But was the media not enthusiastic when Frost arrived? Every Husker fan i know was excited when he got the job.

Wolf777 said:
Just curious what media you want us to lean into? The Missoulian now only picks up stories off the wire for the most part, but a local beat writer who is young energetic and realistic. There is content in social media and podcasts as well as radio between Riley and Colter(colter devotes a split amount of time to the griz and cats and has been growing his brand instead of just locally). Even if Hauck was open and forthcoming with new information and changes, would our footprint grow?

Well we’ll never know the answer to THAT question, will we? :lol:

Two way street. There are a lot reporters in the state and regionally will tell you that access to the UM Athletic Department, its programs and its players/personnel sometimes has all the feels of the Iron Curtain. Positive coverage can happen if it is allowed to happen. Reporters are pretty good about heeding coaches and department policies regarding player access. Part of the souring of the relationship or that perception of a negative slant by the Missoulian was formulated by policies crafted not by the Missoulian but the athletic department and coaches who created that adversarial relationship.

Now that colleges have their own media publications (ie GoGriz.com) they employ a staff that produces much of the positive press that 25 years ago would be solely responsible for the Missoulian to provide. Some schools actively reach out and have an amicable relationship w/ local newspapers, that mirrors the way that its has always been. That just doesn't seem to be the case, here and part of it is they don't believe they need it as much.

Just my two cents.

Grizfan-24 said:
Part of the souring of the relationship or that perception of a negative slant by the Missoulian was formulated by policies crafted not by the Missoulian but the athletic department and coaches who created that adversarial relationship.

Just my two cents.
My two cents is that that's a mischaracterization.

Newspaper? I don't think so. I get all of my Griz news from eGriz, where all the posters have deep connections to the program. Plus, it's like a game because you get to solve riddles and mysteries.

The Missoulian has the new Griz football reporter named Lucas Semb. Young kid who makes it seem like covering the Griz is his dream job which is interesting since he’s not from here. He came in with a clean slate and truly loves what he does. And doesn’t seem to get rattled too easily. But sounds like Bobby and the team still don’t give him much to work with. Not for a lack of trying. So I just don’t think that will ever change as long as Bobby is in control.

I get the impression from his own Twitter account that Lucas Semb embraces the challenge.

AZGrizFan said:
Wolf777 said:

Well we’ll never know the answer to THAT question, will we? :lol:

IDK. Could get dementia before he retires and forget that he hates pressers or journalist or anybody not in his circle. :lol:

mtgriz said:
I get the impression from his own Twitter account that Lucas Semb embraces the challenge.

Not exactly the coach I'd want to cover right out of the shoot. Generally, I think Bobby is a great guy. I have personally interacted with him numerous times outside of Griz related events. That being said, he does not have much respect for the media, and basically intentionally gives them the bare minimum, and many times less. I for one wish he would embrace media coverage a little more instead of acting like what he and the football team does isn't the concern of any reporter or member of the media. It would go a long way in softening his stale tough guy look.

It's funny how people think they have a right to know stuff and a right to weigh in on stuff. As far as the Griz are concerned, you have a right to know what Hauk and the AD allow you to know. Get over it. They don't care what you think. They don't have to care what you think. Get used to being on the outside looking in. That's just life. Catering to the media for anything in life these days is just a big she-ite show and asking for trouble. Foook all media and all the mouth breathers hyperventilating behind their keyboards in their mom's basements because they feel left out or ignored.

libbygrizcat said:
It's funny how people think they have a right to know stuff and a right to weigh in on stuff. As far as the Griz are concerned, you have a right to know what Hauk and the AD allow you to know. Get over it. They don't care what you think. They don't have to care what you think. Get used to being on the outside looking in. That's just life. Catering to the media for anything in life these days is just a big she-ite show and asking for trouble. Foook all media and all the mouth breathers hyperventilating behind their keyboards in their mom's basements because they feel left out or ignored.
What this dude said.

libbygrizcat said:

:roll:

kemajic said:
libbygrizcat said:
What this dude said.

Ya, people have no right to know what a government entity is doing.

kemajic said:
libbygrizcat said:
What this dude said.

In the case of Grizzly football, I don't think media as a "right" to know whats going on, but it makes Hauck look like an asshat every time he gets up in front of reporters and basically does the bare minimum, when he could use it as an opportunity to engage and promote the program. His tough guy act is getting really old, and it would be nice if we could turn on the TV once in a while and just have him be his charismatic self like he is when the cameras are off and the reporters arent in the room. The tough guy act is easier to swallow when you have the record to back it up, a la Nick Saban, but he doesn't right now.

GrizRealist said:
kemajic said:
What this dude said.

In the case of Grizzly football, I don't think media as a "right" to know whats going on, but it makes Hauck look like an asshat every time he gets up in front of reporters and basically does the bare minimum, when he could use it as an opportunity to engage and promote the program. His tough guy act is getting really old, and it would be nice if we could turn on the TV once in a while and just have him be his charismatic self like he is when the cameras are off and the reporters arent in the room. The tough guy act is easier to swallow when you have the record to back it up, a la Nick Saban, but he doesn't right now.

I think he should be laughing and joking around with the press, especially during a week of practice in preparation for a game. Maybe share some specifics on gameplan and personnel questions that get asked every time he sits down. "How do you plan to stop player X?" "Well, every time he's in the game and they are in single back formation, we are going to run X on defense." That sort of thing. The "We'll work our best to stop him because he's a great player" BS needs to stop. Less "football coach" and more "friend".

Back