• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

…men griz..psu game…

UMFan12 said:
grizzlyjournal said:
Bad comparison?
Against which coach should a comparison be made?
Here are the Montana coaching records of the Big Sky Conf. era:
W-L record / Big Sky championships / NCAA appearances / NCAA wins

Travis DeCuire: 160/98 -- /3 /2 /0
Wayne Tinkle: 158-91 -- /2 /3 /0
Larry Krystkowiak: 42-20 -- /0/ 2 /1
Pat Kennedy: 23-35 -- /0 /0 /0
Don Holst: 57-56 -- /1 /1 /0
Blaine Taylor: 141-66 -- /2 /2 /0
Stew Morrill: 97-52 -- / 1 /1 /0
Mike Montgomery: 154-77 -- 1 /0 /0
Jim Brandenburg: 28-26 -- 1 /0 /0
Jud Heathcote: 80-53 -- 2/ /1 /1
George Dahlberg (1937-1955) is Montana’s winningest coach: 221-168

P.S. I couldn't figure out how to neatly justify the columns.
Under .500 in league play in league games after COVID. Living in the past. Like saying Juwan Howard isn’t starting to get a hot seat at Michigan because he started out hot. You have to continue to produce. If DeCuire doesn’t right the ship by next year, his seat should be hot. That’s the way it works.

OK. On March 30 2024, we check-in on the Montana basketball program under Coach DeCuire. In the meantime, I will be in attendance at every home game (lord willing).

AZGrizFan said:
UMFan12 said:
Under .500 in league play in league games after COVID. Living in the past. Like saying Juwan Howard isn’t starting to get a hot seat at Michigan because he started out hot. You have to continue to produce. If DeCuire doesn’t right the ship by next year, his seat should be hot. That’s the way it works.

Hanging Travis’s future on what he did 5 years ago is the same as those guys bragging about what Bobby did in his FIRST stint as Griz head coach.

4-6 this year
11-9 last year
7-9 in ‘20/‘21
14-6 in 19/20.
16-4 in ‘18/‘19
16-2 in ‘17/‘18

It’s like the program fell off a Cliff because of COVID and has never recovered.

And maybe, just maybe Travis is trying to run the same game philosophy he used when he had better players at certain positions back in 18, 19 and 20? If in his recruiting is he trying to fill holes to fit his style or is he just getting from the portal and high school recruiting what’s willing to come here because their other offers either fell through or were limited in their choices?
I was encouraged by last nights game. Who says you can’t have a 6’10” point guard? Our lack of a true point guard is glaringly evident. Not to knock Whitney, which I guess I’m doing but he would be better served coming off the bench to relieve a point guard than starting. He does bring a different dynamic when on the floor but as a starter other teams prepare for his style. He would be more effective coming off the bench and adding a different look. The same goes for Moody. His skill set is instant offense and not trying to guard a three and wear out his ability to score.
I didn’t catch the first part of last nights game but I believe the starters were Smith, Bannon, Aoki, Vasquez and Martin? This gives you 3 guys 6’9” or taller Martin at 6’5” and Vasquez at 6’3”. Now you’ve got the rebounding strength on both offense and defense. You also have 10 fouls to give at the center spot (Andersen & Aoki) with 2 6’!0” to compliment and another 10 fouls. With 4 shooters on the floor it then opens Andersen and Aoki to play at the basket. Your 8 man rotation then should include Whitney, Moody and Jaxson.
Just my thoughts. If we have any chance of making an impact in conference this would be my choice.

Sport said:
AZGrizFan said:
Hanging Travis’s future on what he did 5 years ago is the same as those guys bragging about what Bobby did in his FIRST stint as Griz head coach.

4-6 this year
11-9 last year
7-9 in ‘20/‘21
14-6 in 19/20.
16-4 in ‘18/‘19
16-2 in ‘17/‘18

It’s like the program fell off a Cliff because of COVID and has never recovered.

And maybe, just maybe Travis is trying to run the same game philosophy he used when he had better players at certain positions back in 18, 19 and 20? If in his recruiting is he trying to fill holes to fit his style or is he just getting from the portal and high school recruiting what’s willing to come here because their other offers either fell through or were limited in their choices?
I was encouraged by last nights game. Who says you can’t have a 6’10” point guard? Our lack of a true point guard is glaringly evident. Not to knock Whitney, which I guess I’m doing but he would be better served coming off the bench to relieve a point guard than starting. He does bring a different dynamic when on the floor but as a starter other teams prepare for his style. He would be more effective coming off the bench and adding a different look. The same goes for Moody. His skill set is instant offense and not trying to guard a three and wear out his ability to score.
I didn’t catch the first part of last nights game but I believe the starters were Smith, Bannon, Aoki, Vasquez and Martin? This gives you 3 guys 6’9” or taller Martin at 6’5” and Vasquez at 6’3”. Now you’ve got the rebounding strength on both offense and defense. You also have 10 fouls to give at the center spot (Andersen & Aoki) with 2 6’!0” to compliment and another 10 fouls. With 4 shooters on the floor it then opens Andersen and Aoki to play at the basket. Your 8 man rotation then should include Whitney, Moody and Jaxson.
Just my thoughts. If we have any chance of making an impact in conference this would be my choice.

Smith = Thomas and Aoki = Oke.

The starting line-up was Vasquez, Martin, Whitney, Bannan and Thomas.

Whitney got 2 fouls within the first 4 minutes, which is why he may not have been on the court when you tuned in.

Who is the best point guard in the Big Sky right now?

Opps, sorry I screwed up the names. Yes, I should have said Thomas and Okie. Nevertheless I would be in favor of a change of line ups just to shake things up.

astutegriz said:
citay said:
Sorry. I’m out for now. Life is too short to watch this offense. Until Travis demonstrates the managerial imperative of delegating an obvious weakness to a subordinate with superior knowledge, I’ll be switching over to the Lady Griz where demonstrably good things are taking place and my maroon blood courses faster.

We care only in being excited about your exit and not having to read the same complaints over and over and over.

What will we do without your Warrior posts and Curry stories??

Mavman said:
astutegriz said:
We care only in being excited about your exit and not having to read the same complaints over and over and over.

I think you have missed the points he or she tries to make with those analogies. Are you happy with UM basketball right now? Many are not.

I have always found it interesting, and odd, that so many fans of a school like UM find it acceptable or necessary to comment publicly on whether they are "happy" with a team or not, or whether they find the team or season to be "acceptable", or whether they find a game or something in a game to be an "embarrassment". (I'm not including individual plays or smaller things in my comment.) nMy reaction, to myself, to those types of comments is who do they think they are. My view is that whether you pay for a ticket, make a donation, or pay state taxes, you really aren't entitled to think any of those things. I know it's a free country, and everyone can think anything they want, but that also means that I can't think "who do they think they are" about those people.

GrizLA said:
Mavman said:
I think you have missed the points he or she tries to make with those analogies. Are you happy with UM basketball right now? Many are not.

As a fan i'm frustrated, In my opinion they can play with anyone in the conference and have just came up short in a few games. My happiness does not matter, been a fan for over 45 years and will always be a fan. The success that Grizzly athletics has is something I enjoy but does not define me.

Sport said:
Opps, sorry I screwed up the names. Yes, I should have said Thomas and Okie. Nevertheless I would be in favor of a change of line ups just to shake things up.

Got it all figured out on solving the basketball teams issues.....but not sure of many of the players' names. Got it!?

Back