• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Where to go from here?

Having personally seen Gaskins in HS, I thought he would be a great addition to your team but even after sitting out a year and then becoming the California JC Co-Player of the year he has yet to do anything at CSU Bakersfield....Was injured for the first few games but has played in 11 games for an average of 13 minutes per game, here are the glowing stats for a possible BSC POY....2-12 from the floor for 16.7%....scoring at a .5 per game pace....all this on a team that is 6-13 overall and 2-6 in the mighty Big West Conference....
Maybe I over estimated him a bit but if I did, I'm far from being alone....

UMFan12 said:
It’s easy to be hard on the coaches as many, myself included have been. But I think another factor that goes understated is the impact the Gaskin situation had on the program. He was next in line, likely multi year all conference player with a POY ceiling. A player that had obvious talent like that is a hard loss. Easier to recruit to programs that win, he would’ve kept the winning going. Also fair to argue we likely don’t ever lose Beasley if that never happens.
I’ve thought about this a lot and I’m glad I’m not alone. If I remember correctly, it happened right before the start of the season and that kind of left us hanging with a bunch of the younger guys. Whereas if it would’ve happened earlier, we may have had enough time to make a plan and possibly even get another guy in. It’s a very fair point. Him and Steadman together could’ve made all the difference in the world.

The other thing too that I felt set us back was Dorsey choosing to forego his final year of eligibility. We could’ve really used him, and he would’ve been a valuable asset.

sacstateman said:
Having personally seen Gaskins in HS, I thought he would be a great addition to your team but even after sitting out a year and then becoming the California JC Co-Player of the year he has yet to do anything at CSU Bakersfield....Was injured for the first few games but has played in 11 games for an average of 13 minutes per game, here are the glowing stats for a possible BSC POY....2-12 from the floor for 16.7%....scoring at a .5 per game pace....all this on a team that is 6-13 overall and 2-6 in the mighty Big West Conference....
Did he spend time in prison? If so, wouldn’t really say this is the player we would’ve been getting. Showed talent in scrimmage and practice as a freshman against talented upperclassmen guards. He was ready to play and would’ve contributed then as a freshman, really don’t understand why the ncaa denied his waiver request.

GrizBall said:
UMFan12 said:
It’s easy to be hard on the coaches as many, myself included have been. But I think another factor that goes understated is the impact the Gaskin situation had on the program. He was next in line, likely multi year all conference player with a POY ceiling. A player that had obvious talent like that is a hard loss. Easier to recruit to programs that win, he would’ve kept the winning going. Also fair to argue we likely don’t ever lose Beasley if that never happens.

You can also argue the opposite in that Gaskin’s presence may have resulted in less playing time and a lesser role for Beasley which seems to be the primary reason most people transfer.
Beasley was talented enough it wouldn’t have effected him. Would’ve been Whitney. Gaskin the 1 and Beasley the 2. Also pretty sure Beasley left at least partly for play style concerns. Pretty impossible to have a slow paced team with Gaskin and Beasley as your two guards.

UMFan12 said:
GrizBall said:
You can also argue the opposite in that Gaskin’s presence may have resulted in less playing time and a lesser role for Beasley which seems to be the primary reason most people transfer.
Beasley was talented enough it wouldn’t have effected him. Would’ve been Whitney. Gaskin the 1 and Beasley the 2. Also pretty sure Beasley left at least partly for play style concerns. Pretty impossible to have a slow paced team with Gaskin and Beasley as your two guards.

Is your rankings of that guard room:

1. Gaskin
2. Beasley
3. Whitney
4. Parker

LittleBear said:
GrizBall said:
I believe there is one path to success at the Big Sky level and that is the portal recruiting of D-1 players.

Look at how our 13 scholarships are being deployed this year:

3 Freshman that don’t suit up
1 non-D1 transfer that never plays
1 non-D1 transfer that doesn’t move the needle
1 Freshman that doesn’t move the needle but shows potential.

Almost half of the scholarships (6/13) are not producing. 2/2 D-1 transfers are producing at a very high level. Look at recent all-conference teams. Very few HS recruits. As Nuanez recently pointed out, go down the conference stat leaders. Few if any HS recruits.

The other thing is that for HS recruits, the risk of them not being D-1 players is higher, you likely have to wait some time for them to be productive and then you have sit and pray that once they become good they don’t leave.

Also, the NCAA just passed a rule that I read as only allowing 1 free transfer regardless of grad status. This, plus number of kids that have the 5th Covid year is dwindling, so a transfer likely would not be able leave for a 3rd school.

HS recruiting is not the path forward.

I think it can be sometimes easy to forget the unbelievable success we've had recruiting at the high school level over the past decade. Our best players outside Ahmad & Breunig have been high school guys. Cherry, Kareem, Oguine, Sayeed, Bannan. We've had some HUGE misses in the portal (Tony Miller, Steadman, Darius Henderson, Satterwhite, Gaskin, Yagi, Blakney, & probably Oke & Brown) There's definitely a place for the portal and but I don't think we completely abandon ship and give up on high school guys. Eastern for example has done a great job of identifying and developing high school players.

Do think its time to re-evaluate our process for identifying talent & off-season development.

I think you’re missing some very effective transfers: Manuel, Dorsey, Akoh…I’m sure there’s a few more…

UMFan12 said:
sacstateman said:
Did he spend time in prison? If so, wouldn’t really say this is the player we would’ve been getting. Showed talent in scrimmage and practice as a freshman against talented upperclassmen guards. He was ready to play and would’ve contributed then as a freshman, really don’t understand why the ncaa denied his waiver request.

To the best of my knowledge he did not do jail time. The dirty little secret is that the NCAA does not care about issues like this. 99% of the time it’s the previous school that blocks the immediate eligibility by not signing a waiver and the NCAA will rarely go against the wishes of a member institution.

AZGrizFan said:
LittleBear said:
I think it can be sometimes easy to forget the unbelievable success we've had recruiting at the high school level over the past decade. Our best players outside Ahmad & Breunig have been high school guys. Cherry, Kareem, Oguine, Sayeed, Bannan. We've had some HUGE misses in the portal (Tony Miller, Steadman, Darius Henderson, Satterwhite, Gaskin, Yagi, Blakney, & probably Oke & Brown) There's definitely a place for the portal and but I don't think we completely abandon ship and give up on high school guys. Eastern for example has done a great job of identifying and developing high school players.

Do think its time to re-evaluate our process for identifying talent & off-season development.

I think you’re missing some very effective transfers: Manuel, Dorsey, Akoh…I’m sure there’s a few more…

I mentioned them & more in my initial response to GrizBall

"4. Montana's best portal success has been recruiting drop downs. Ahmad, Breunig, Kendal, Dorsey, Thomas. Jamar & Moody are exceptions, but I think we get in trouble recruiting from lower divisions or good players from bad teams."

DeCuire and his staff: Excellent recruiters. I like our pipeline: Money Williams, great get. Rhett Reynolds, touted big from a state with a reputation for producing quality big men. Jaxon Nap, already established as a legit D1 player. Zach Davidson, quality big averaging a double-double in a competitive SoCal league; Dorell Thomas, good length and if he doesn't pan out we can always say, "Well, his brother sure was good." Early on, DeCurie was the best recruiter in the Big Sky. Problem is, Danny Sprinkle has at the very least equaled him, especially with that pipeline to England, and David Patrick is a rising coaching and recruiting star at Sac State.

Coaching? Oh, jeez. Not many on this board happy about that. No post presence. No movement off the ball. Few cuts to the basket. Can't handle the press. No lob dunks. You'll see more UFO's than fast breaks. I say (ad nauseum) an offensive coordinator. Puh-lease! When Mike Montgomery said in the game against Oregon last year that he couldn't diagram the Montana offense, he said it all. DeCuire was Monty's protege. He should listen.

citay said:
DeCuire and his staff: Excellent recruiters. I like our pipeline: Money Williams, great get. Rhett Reynolds, touted big from a state with a reputation for producing quality big men. Jaxon Nap, already established as a legit D1 player. Zach Davidson, quality big averaging a double-double in a competitive SoCal league; Dorell Thomas, good length and if he doesn't pan out we can always say, "Well, his brother sure was good." Early on, DeCurie was the best recruiter in the Big Sky. Problem is, Danny Sprinkle has at the very least equaled him, especially with that pipeline to England, and David Patrick is a rising coaching and recruiting star at Sac State.

Coaching? Oh, jeez. Not many on this board happy about that. No post presence. No movement off the ball. Few cuts to the basket. Can't handle the press. No lob dunks. You'll see more UFO's than fast breaks. I say (ad nauseum) an offensive coordinator. Puh-lease! When Mike Montgomery said in the game against Oregon last year that he couldn't diagram the Montana offense, he said it all. DeCuire was Monty's protege. He should listen.

Montyball! Those were the offensive juggernaut days!

Back