• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Question For Payton

uptopgriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Football somewhat, the players yes.

The game is drastically different.

Still X’s and O’s. Still only one football on the field at a time. Still only five lineman, one QB, and five skill players/extra blockers. Schematically it’s changed some w/ RPO’s and what not but defenses evolve also. It’s different but not drastically. I guess maybe your more blown away by some new offensive gimmicks then most defensive coordinators in the country but they always eventually catch up. That’s why offenses constantly tweak things. Kids nowadays, yes, they are drastically different then they were 15 years ago.

mthoopsfan said:
uptopgriz said:
The game is drastically different.

What do you see as the differences? Thx.

Bigger, Faster, Stronger. Increased understanding of nutrient and sleep science, less contact during the practice week, diminished importance of the running back, TEs that are big and as athletic as wideouts just to name a few.

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
What do you see as the differences? Thx.

Bigger, Faster, Stronger. Increased understanding of nutrient and sleep science, less contact during the practice week, diminished importance of the running back, TEs that are big and as athletic as wideouts just to name a few.

Those are mostly evolution of man, not the game. Less contact during the week, favoring five wideouts, big TE's have been around since before Air Coryell, who by the way will be inducted next week. I can see now why hoops thinks you're an idiot.

horribilisfan8184 said:
uptopgriz said:

Those are mostly evolution of man, not the game. Less contact during the week, favoring five wideouts, big TE's have been around since before Air Coryell, who by the way will be inducted next week. I can see now why hoops thinks you're an idiot.

Not to mention it took him 2 full days to come up with that list.

horribilisfan8184 said:
uptopgriz said:

I thought he was talking about the game of football,
not the players. And I don’t think the importance of the running back position has been diminished in college. Running, blocking including pass protection, and more catching than ever.

mthoopsfan said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

not the players. And I don’t think the importance of the running back position has been diminished in college. Running, blocking including pass protection, and more catching than ever.

Not to take away from Josh Brannen but how important was the RB in the Don Read era compared to now. On the flip, how important is the RB to NDSU, SDSU, and MSU who even plays one at QB. Dudes clueless to his own comments.

mthoopsfan said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

Agreed. We saw first hand the importance of having a RB that can block.

Back