• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Baer and Sacks Retire

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:
Griz were 6th in conference. That is an undeniable fact. The losses that led to that standing cost them multiple home playoff games. So yes, while they backed into the playoffs, their regular season performance cost them a deep run into the playoffs by having to go on the road. Anyone who doesn't see that is a dumbass or a troll.

No one disagrees with what you said. However, finishing 6th doesn't undercut or demean what the Griz accomplished, i.e. making the playoffs, getting a home game, winning a playoff game, and being ranked 14th in the nation. Why can't you see the big picture? Are you a dumbass or a troll, or both?

Point being, if they’d finished 4th, or 3rd, or 2nd or god forbid WON the conference they’d have had MULTIPLE home games, got a weekend off, gotten a seed, had an easier route, gone deeper into the playoffs and been ranked much higher than 14th. So it’s not the “6th place finish” thats the point…it’s what comes WITH that 6th place finish.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:
No one disagrees with what you said. However, finishing 6th doesn't undercut or demean what the Griz accomplished, i.e. making the playoffs, getting a home game, winning a playoff game, and being ranked 14th in the nation. Why can't you see the big picture? Are you a dumbass or a troll, or both?

Point being, if they’d finished 4th, or 3rd, or 2nd or god forbid WON the conference they’d have had MULTIPLE home games, got a weekend off, gotten a seed, had an easier route, gone deeper into the playoffs and been ranked much higher than 14th. So it’s not the “6th place finish” thats the point…it’s what comes WITH that 6th place finish.

Well said. Conference finish is the number one variable for the Griz playing for the national championship. Win the conference and there is a really good chance they'll be playing in the final game. Finish 6th and there's a really good chance they'll be curb-stomped in Fargo.

uptopgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Well said. Conference finish is the number one variable for the Griz playing for the national championship. Win the conference and there is a really good chance they'll be playing in the final game. Finish 6th and there's a really good chance they'll be curb-stomped in Fargo.

It’s official, AZ and uptop are the same poster😈😁.

alabamagrizzly said:
uptopgriz said:

It’s official, AZ and uptop are the same poster😈😁.

I thought I was Rosey? I can't keep it straight all of the different people I am.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

I dunno, we finished 3rd two years in a row and still only got one home game. I think we all just want them to win the games on their schedule. 4-4 when we were in position to win 3 of the 4 losses sucks, and we should be pissed, but 6th place in a conference where the teams above us (except UC Davis) all dodged playing each other in some form is just whatever. Some years 6-2 is tied for 2nd or 3rd, and some years it's 4th. Knocking the team because they got 4th vs. 2nd with the same record seems silly. As long as there are discrepancies in the scheduling for teams, I just don't care about placements.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
I dunno, we finished 3rd two years in a row and still only got one home game. I think we all just want them to win the games on their schedule. 4-4 when we were in position to win 3 of the 4 losses sucks, and we should be pissed, but 6th place in a conference where the teams above us (except UC Davis) all dodged playing each other in some form is just whatever. Some years 6-2 is tied for 2nd or 3rd, and some years it's 4th. Knocking the team because they got 4th vs. 2nd with the same record seems silly. As long as there are discrepancies in the scheduling for teams, I just don't care about placements.

The Cats played Weber and Davis and won both of them. We played all of the teams above us except Davis and lost to all of them.

uptopgriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

The Cats played Weber and Davis and won both of them. We played all of the teams above us except Davis and lost to all of them.
Right but we didn't get any of them at home. We got them all on the road, including SAC and Weber in back to back weeks. Seems like a tall task compared to getting them at home.

uptopgriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

The cats also didn't play Idaho or, most importantly, Sac State.

mthoopsfan said:
GrizRealist said:
The conference finish in the big sky dictates things like being seeded or not seeded, being afforded home games as apposed to playing in the road. The physical act of winning the conference is doesn't make the impact, but it's what comes with it does. The season would have ended differently had the Griz played better in conference, thus had an easier playoff schedule, likely had more home games against weaker apponents. They likely would have gone farther and ended up ranked higher. Just because the Griz got to the playoffs while placing 6th in the conference doesn't mean there wasn't a far easier road. Materially, I get the a conference championship might not mean a lot, but winning it puts you in a far better position to succeed in the postseason, and saying that is not an absolute fact is just wrong.

Actually, the conference rank doesn’t affect any of that. It’s the number of games won, and lost, strength of schedule, and who you played. The selection committee doesn’t look at conference rank.

No one disagrees with the rest of you post. I said that multiple times since day 1

Again, conf rank doesn’t diminish what the Griz accomplished. People who try to use conf rank as a way to diminish what the Griz accomplished don’t understand football and are basically football idiots, in my view.

I get that, but the implication is that by winning the conference you have won most of or all of your games and built a strong strength of schedule. Winning the conference and being looking upon favorable go hand in hand. Again, I total get that holding the conference title in and of itself may not be meaningful, but if you win the BSC, that means you have a resume worth recieving a top 4 seed in the playoff bracket.

I totally get what your saying man, I'm just saying that if you set the goal to win the conference and succeed, you have basically all but wrapped up the resume to have a favorable position going into the playoff. I still maintain that if there is something to be won, like a conference championship, you should strive to do it, even if it does not technically mean much. A winning mentality is to achieve everything that is out there to achieve. Every quarter, every game, the conference, playoffs, etc. Just keeping stacking W's until there are none left to stack.

uofmman1122 said:
uptopgriz said:

We played the Cats and they destroyed us, so I'm not sure what you're trying to debate. We played Idaho at home and lost. We played Weber and Sac and lost. At some point you need to win and not make excuses.

uptopgriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

We played the Cats and they destroyed us, so I'm not sure what you're trying to debate. We played Idaho at home and lost. We played Weber and Sac and lost. At some point you need to win and not make excuses.
You're not reading my posts. I don't like that we lost those games. I just don't care about where we placed relative to other teams that didn't play each other.

I was upset when Bobby hired Baer. I posted constantly about how he was too old and his defense sucked. Now that he’s retired, he was my favorite coach ever and this is all Bobby’s fault. I was in line behind Bobby at the post office the other day, and he just straight-up bought stamps right there in front of everyone. Just, “Could I please get some stamps?” *payment* “Thanks.” Everyone in line who knew anything about football was livid.

uofmman1122 said:
uptopgriz said:
You're not reading my posts. I don't like that we lost those games. I just don't care about where we placed relative to other teams that didn't play each other.

Plus, I think he’s forgetting the scientific fact that the Bobcats suck and everyone hates them. They could beat us 100-0 every year and they’d still suck. That’s just how the world works.

CDAGRIZ said:
I was upset when Bobby hired Baer. I posted constantly about how he was too old and his defense sucked. Now that he’s retired, he was my favorite coach ever and this is all Bobby’s fault. I was in line behind Bobby at the post office the other day, and he just straight-up bought stamps right there in front of everyone. Just, “Could I please get some stamps?” *payment* “Thanks.” Everyone in line who knew anything about football was livid.

It's not surprising to me that Bobby would be at the post office buying stamps, he probably doesn't realize there's email and if wants to send a personalized old fashioned letter he probably doesn't realize you can pre-stamped envelopes. I'm curious CDAGRIZ, did he pay with cash or did someone show him how to use electronic payment?

CDAGRIZ said:
uofmman1122 said:

Plus, I think he’s forgetting the scientific fact that the Bobcats suck and everyone hates them. They could beat us 100-0 every year and they’d still suck. That’s just how the world works.
I think he's just finding the best cudgel to beat the staff with. If we had gone 6-2 and somehow gotten 2nd in the conference, you can bet he'd be saying that the placement doesn't matter, it's the fact that we lost 2 games. The important facts in all of his posts are always whatever makes the staff look the worst.

Griz til I die said:
uptopgriz said:
Right but we didn't get any of them at home. We got them all on the road, including SAC and Weber in back to back weeks. Seems like a tall task compared to getting them at home.

well if we can't beat the best teams in our own conference, how do we expect to make a deep playoff run?

AZGrizFan said:
Griz til I die said:

well if we can't beat the best teams in our own conference, how do we expect to make a deep playoff run?

Bracket gift like the Knobs.

AZGrizFan said:
Griz til I die said:

We hope our starting qb gets fully healed up and can play later.

Back