• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Baer and Sacks Retire

mthoopsfan said:
poorgriz said:
He’s only saying that because griz didn’t win the conference. If they would have, damn sure he’d be bragging about it and talking about how important it is.

I have never bragged about UM winning the conference in the over 30 years I've been a Griz fan. I have probably mentioned, in the past, that Bobby won or shared the conference every year in his prior stint. The conference was different then. At the end of any season, I have never said, "Wow, the Griz won the conference." I have always focused on the playoffs. Could you be a bigger liar?

Have the GRiZ ever played for a national championship without winning the conference first?

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
I have never bragged about UM winning the conference in the over 30 years I've been a Griz fan. I have probably mentioned, in the past, that Bobby won or shared the conference every year in his prior stint. The conference was different then. At the end of any season, I have never said, "Wow, the Griz won the conference." I have always focused on the playoffs. Could you be a bigger liar?

Have the GRiZ ever played for a national championship without winning the conference first?

Have the Griz ever made the playoffs without winning the conference?

Has the quality of the conference ever been better than last season?

Has the Big Sky ever gotten 5 teams into the playoffs two years in a row?

Have the Griz ever won a national championship without playing a D-II team?

Has there ever been a bigger fraud on egriz than you?

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:
As I have said all along, if Johnson is healthy for SS and Weber, UM wins those games and gets seeded. And the things you mentioned help propel them to at least the semis, in my view. I don't think recruits care much about winning the conference. (I'd like to see the expression on the coaches' faces if a recruit asked where UM finished in the conference. I wonder if the coaches even know.) Fan bragging rights have little or nothing to do with the team. I'm all for winning the conference and having it as a goal, but if the team goes into the playoffs, I couldn't care less about conference ranking. Do you think teams that win the Super Bowl, or go deep in the playoffs, look back at their post-season rank and record? I don't.

Every good team strives to win every game. If they lose a game, they try to win the next one. If they lose a bunch and still get into the playoffs, they try to win the playoff games. No team looks back and says, "Oh my god, we didn't win the conference. We're doomed and should just give up. What will they say about us on egriz?"

And I think that anyone who keeps bringing up that the Griz were 6th in the conference is a total dumbass and/or troll.

Griz were 6th in conference. That is an undeniable fact. The losses that led to that standing cost them multiple home playoff games. So yes, while they backed into the playoffs, their regular season performance cost them a deep run into the playoffs by having to go on the road. Anyone who doesn't see that is a dumbass or a troll.
If you switched us playing MSU and Weber for NAU and UNC, do you think we would've still gone 4-4 in conference? Give us MSU or Idaho's conference schedule, and we finish at least one game better, if not two, depending on how we do against UC Davis.

This is why I don't give a shit about where we finish in the conference standings, unless we win it, which nowadays is much more a function of who you play than necessarily being the best team. 2019 was the only year since 2015 where the conference winners played each other or the 2nd place team(s).

You guys focus on that 6th place finish way too much.

Edit: Wanna mention, certainly not downplaying losing those 4 games. It sucks and wasn't good enough. I just don't give a shit how it compares to Idaho going 6-2 in conference when they didn't play Weber or MSU.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Griz were 6th in conference. That is an undeniable fact. The losses that led to that standing cost them multiple home playoff games. So yes, while they backed into the playoffs, their regular season performance cost them a deep run into the playoffs by having to go on the road. Anyone who doesn't see that is a dumbass or a troll.
If you switched us playing MSU and Weber for NAU and UNC, do you think we would've still gone 4-4 in conference? Give us MSU or Idaho's conference schedule, and we finish at least one game better, if not two, depending on how we do against UC Davis.

This is why I don't give a shit about where we finish in the conference standings, unless we win it, which nowadays is much more a function of who you play than necessarily being the best team. 2019 was the only year since 2015 where the conference winners played each other or the 2nd place team(s).

Edit: Wanna mention, certainly not downplaying losing those 4 games. It sucks and wasn't good enough. I just don't give a shit how it compares to Idaho going 6-2 in conference when they didn't play Weber or MSU.

Correct the unbalanced scheduling is an absolute joke. It’s funny because I have bobcat buddies who are somewhat freaking out about their schedule this upcoming year, and you can see a lot of cats fans on social media talking about their brutal schedule. I’m like “hello, this is exactly the type of gauntlet the Griz had this past season”. This may have had SOMETHING to do with the 6th place finish everyone keeps alluding to 😂

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:
As I have said all along, if Johnson is healthy for SS and Weber, UM wins those games and gets seeded. And the things you mentioned help propel them to at least the semis, in my view. I don't think recruits care much about winning the conference. (I'd like to see the expression on the coaches' faces if a recruit asked where UM finished in the conference. I wonder if the coaches even know.) Fan bragging rights have little or nothing to do with the team. I'm all for winning the conference and having it as a goal, but if the team goes into the playoffs, I couldn't care less about conference ranking. Do you think teams that win the Super Bowl, or go deep in the playoffs, look back at their post-season rank and record? I don't.

Every good team strives to win every game. If they lose a game, they try to win the next one. If they lose a bunch and still get into the playoffs, they try to win the playoff games. No team looks back and says, "Oh my god, we didn't win the conference. We're doomed and should just give up. What will they say about us on egriz?"

And I think that anyone who keeps bringing up that the Griz were 6th in the conference is a total dumbass and/or troll.

No one disagrees with what you said. However, finishing 6th doesn't undercut or demean what the Griz accomplished, i.e. making the playoffs, getting a home game, winning a playoff game, and being ranked 14th in the nation. Why can't you see the big picture? Are you a dumbass or a troll, or both?

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
Your words. Mine were, BEST I CAN RECALL. Hmmm. So MSU wasn't above average or great when they made it to the NC game in '01, but could only muster 204 yards total offense, 82 of which came in a meaningless drive and their only TD with 48 seconds left in the game. Totally shut out. You are so stubborn in supporting your narrative that you sometimes dig a very deep hole.

well I was referring more to how they performed THIS year in big games...understanding that it's not always on the defense when the offense can't move the ball.
Responding to my specific post regarding the 5 year span of Baer and Sacks. Easy to miss your switch.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

No one disagrees with what you said. However, finishing 6th doesn't undercut or demean what the Griz accomplished, i.e. making the playoffs, getting a home game, winning a playoff game, and being ranked 14th in the nation. Why can't you see the big picture? Are you a dumbass or a troll, or both?

Unless you see the past season as a giant success, it does undercut it because as a whole they achieved far less than their goals and what was expected of them. What UM accomplished last season was below the standard of Griz Football. Period.

HookedonGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

This is why I don't give a poop about where we finish in the conference standings, unless we win it, which nowadays is much more a function of who you play than necessarily being the best team. 2019 was the only year since 2015 where the conference winners played each other or the 2nd place team(s).

Edit: Wanna mention, certainly not downplaying losing those 4 games. It sucks and wasn't good enough. I just don't give a poop how it compares to Idaho going 6-2 in conference when they didn't play Weber or MSU.

Correct the unbalanced scheduling is an absolute joke. It’s funny because I have bobcat buddies who are somewhat freaking out about their schedule this upcoming year, and you can see a lot of cats fans on social media talking about their brutal schedule. I’m like “hello, this is exactly the type of gauntlet the Griz had this past season”. This may have had SOMETHING to do with the 6th place finish everyone keeps alluding to 😂
The bubby road schedule looks good but have you seen their home game schedule? Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.
I’ve asked multiple times now but each bubtroll ignores which home game they are looking forward to the most.
Their silence speaks volumes.
Hardest game is ewe. I would be pissed if I were a season ticket holder.
People probably think I’m making this up but they play some school called the Stetson Hatters. No shit.

Stetson-Hatters-Logo-1998.png

GrizRealist said:
mthoopsfan said:

Unless you see the past season as a giant success, it does undercut it because as a whole they achieved far less than their goals and what was expected of them. What UM accomplished last season was below the standard of Griz Football. Period.
OK, can't disagree. Since this is a thread re. Baer and Sacks and their defense, you're implying the blame of that was on the defense. Got it.

mthoopsfan said:
uptopgriz said:

Have the Griz ever made the playoffs without winning the conference?

Has the quality of the conference ever been better than last season?

Has the Big Sky ever gotten 5 teams into the playoffs two years in a row?

Have the Griz ever won a national championship without playing a D-II team?

Has there ever been a bigger fraud on egriz than you?

Griz have never played for a national title without winning the conference.

kemajic said:
GrizRealist said:
OK, can't disagree. Since this is a thread re. Baer and Sacks and their defense, you're implying the blame of that was on the defense. Got it.

Not laying blame on any one specific person, or personnel unit. It was a general statement. That being said, the think it would be good to take the average age of the coaching staff down a little by hiring some youngers coaches. All the best to those two guys though.

GrizRealist said:
mthoopsfan said:

You are talking nonsense. The conf. finish doesn't undercut the accomplishments of the end of the season in any respect. No matter what you try to say, the Griz got into the playoffs, won an existing game at home, and finished 14th in the nation.

mthoopsfan said:
GrizRealist said:

You are talking nonsense. The conf. finish doesn't undercut the accomplishments of the end of the season in any respect. No matter what you try to say, the Griz got into the playoffs, won an existing game at home, and finished 14th in the nation.

The conference finish in the big sky dictates things like being seeded or not seeded, being afforded home games as apposed to playing in the road. The physical act of winning the conference is doesn't make the impact, but it's what comes with it does. The season would have ended differently had the Griz played better in conference, thus had an easier playoff schedule, likely had more home games against weaker apponents. They likely would have gone farther and ended up ranked higher. Just because the Griz got to the playoffs while placing 6th in the conference doesn't mean there wasn't a far easier road. Materially, I get the a conference championship might not mean a lot, but winning it puts you in a far better position to succeed in the postseason, and saying that is not an absolute fact is just wrong.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:

If if's and buts were candy and nuts...some years you're the windshield, some years you're the bug. :lol:

GrizRealist said:
mthoopsfan said:

The conference finish in the big sky dictates things like being seeded or not seeded, being afforded home games as apposed to playing in the road. The physical act of winning the conference is doesn't make the impact, but it's what comes with it does. The season would have ended differently had the Griz played better in conference, thus had an easier playoff schedule, likely had more home games against weaker apponents. They likely would have gone farther and ended up ranked higher. Just because the Griz got to the playoffs while placing 6th in the conference doesn't mean there wasn't a far easier road. Materially, I get the a conference championship might not mean a lot, but winning it puts you in a far better position to succeed in the postseason, and saying that is not an absolute fact is just wrong.

Ya, App State was pretty weak. :lol: :lol:

GrizRealist said:
mthoopsfan said:

Actually, the conference rank doesn’t affect any of that. It’s the number of games won, and lost, strength of schedule, and who you played. The selection committee doesn’t look at conference rank.

No one disagrees with the rest of you post. I said that multiple times since day 1

Again, conf rank doesn’t diminish what the Griz accomplished. People who try to use conf rank as a way to diminish what the Griz accomplished don’t understand football and are basically football idiots, in my view.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

If if's and buts were candy and nuts...some years you're the windshield, some years you're the bug. :lol:
Isn't it weird how the windshields tend to win the conference a lot more often than the bugs. ;)

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
I never had issue with Sacks. And it had ZERO to do with Baer’s age and way more to do with his career arc. But you do you, Mr. Wokey wokemeister.

Best defense ever? Sure against average teams. Not so “best” against above average or great teams.
Your words. Mine were, BEST I CAN RECALL. Hmmm. So MSU wasn't above average or great when they made it to the NC game in '01, but could only muster 204 yards total offense, 82 of which came in a meaningless drive and their only TD with 48 seconds left in the game. Totally shut out. You are so stubborn in supporting your narrative that you sometimes dig a very deep hole.
But, they made it and UM hasn't for some time....

Back