• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

To Watch For: Lady Griz

citygriz

First, can Holsinger recruit? That was his reputation. And I have to say that so far the results have been positive. That Cat game yesterday clearly showed the gap between our upper classmen and and Holsinger's recruits. Stump and Konig are exceptional young players, and I believe Burton-Oliver and Pirog will develop as well. And he's got more good recruits in the pipeline. The big question for me: Can he bring in some talented bigs? Or develop the ones he has on the roster?

All in all, I can live with a re-build if I think there's progress. And I think there is.

But remember, another guy who applied for our job was Mark Campbell, and he's on fire at Sac State. They already have non-con wins against Santa Clara, Santa Barbara, UC Davis, Cal Poly, UTEP, Fullerton and Fresno State--many of those games on the road--and he's now 6-1 in the conference. Binford has the Cats at a high level and will likely keep them there, but the intriguing backstory is the one that pits Holsinger against Campbell.

Holsingers got another awesome group coming in next year. He wants players that can play transition style ball. He's bringing in two really good guards with length. 6'2" and 6'1" and a true point guard (Both Konig and Stump played off guard in high school) . Adria Lincoln is putting up numbers so far this season that are hard to believe. (adrialincoln.com) Macey Huard is also putting up incredible stats. All three recruits had several power 5 offers and for the second year in a row, his recruiting class is ranked top of the Big Sky. Future is gonna be bright when he has 5 players on the floor that understand his system. Play fast and play fearless.

Campbell at Sac St. prefers to play the transfer portal. Like last year, he picked up a senior pt guard ( who is really good). They got Utah States top player, and a couple of Big 10 players. He plays a 7 player rotation. I think his strategy is win now so he can get the dodge out of Sacramento. It's instant results, but doesn't do much to build the program. What young player wants to join a team that gets rebuilt every year from the portal?

Just my opinion, but I believe Holsinger wants to build a program that can win year in and year out while at the same time getting the fans back in the building. I think he is laying the foundation to do just that.

Grizrunr said:
Holsingers got another awesome group coming in next year. He wants players that can play transition style ball. He's bringing in two really good guards with length. 6'2" and 6'1" and a true point guard (Both Konig and Stump played off guard in high school) . Adria Lincoln is putting up numbers so far this season that are hard to believe. (adrialincoln.com) Macey Huard is also putting up incredible stats. All three recruits had several power 5 offers and for the second year in a row, his recruiting class is ranked top of the Big Sky. Future is gonna be bright when he has 5 players on the floor that understand his system. Play fast and play fearless.

Campbell at Sac St. prefers to play the transfer portal. Like last year, he picked up a senior pt guard ( who is really good). They got Utah States top player, and a couple of Big 10 players. He plays a 7 player rotation. I think his strategy is win now so he can get the dodge out of Sacramento. It's instant results, but doesn't do much to build the program. What young player wants to join a team that gets rebuilt every year from the portal?

Just my opinion, but I believe Holsinger wants to build a program that can win year in and year out while at the same time getting the fans back in the building. I think he is laying the foundation to do just that.

Add Macy Donarski of LaCrosse, Wisconsin to the incoming class. She's last week she was averaging triple-doubles for her high school team; last night she scored 17 points and dished 12 assists in a blowout win. Donarski is reportedly a true point guard at 5-7.

Mark Campbell is a very, very good coach and recruiter. Not that any of you would care (though I'll share anyway), but many years ago Oregon lured him away from Oregon State after OSU made the final four and he was more or less responsible for a few kids (Sabrina Ionescu, Ruthy Hebard, and Satou Sabally) he heavily recruited at OSU landing at UO.

While I don't like him -- I acknowledge he's a very good coach and I'm not at all surprised he's quickly gotten Sac State to the top of the league. I do however think he's gone as soon as a bigger job opens up.

Back to Montana -- both the team and (for the most part) the individual players have been streaky/inconsistent at best. Fatkin and Gfeller in particular. You'd expect that from your frosh but not from your super seniors. I think the team may be missing Stiles' leadership a bit because I think Marxen is a little more soft-spoken. Not saying she isn't a leader, just not a vocal one like Sophia was.

You can see it with Stump and Konig and I think you'll see it again with next year's class, but I think he's going to bring some really good talent to Missoula. Definitely needs to find an above average big or two in the portal, but I think he's laying a solid foundation.

GFeller and Fatkin are the 2 leading scorers. Fatkin is the leading rebounder, except for Bartsch who is .1 ahead of her. GFeller is right behind her. GFeller is shooting 49, 40 and 83 percentage.

To me, it's taking the coach a long time to get his recruits. And, my pet peeve, firing 6 players in his first week did absolutely nothing to speed up his recruiting.

8-11, 4-4, 4-5 at home. Give me Campbell. 6th in the conference now. Record is the 8th in conference out of 10. Maybe the LG played a tougher schedule; I don't know.

The team seems to be better this year, but it's definitely taking awhile.

Abby Anderson and Stiles would have helped this season.

I assume the players like the coach, but don't know. I know some parents of good players in MT think he's arrogant. Is he recruiting any MT players now? I assume the Tinkle coach is a good/big help.

As I said at the outset, I thought he would do well or reasonably well, but it's not like he's been shot out a cannon.

Of those of you who know, what do you think of him and his personality? He seems to smile. That's good.

mthoopsfan said:
GFeller and Fatkin are the 2 leading scorers. Fatkin is the leading rebounder, except for Bartsch who is .1 ahead of her. GFeller is right behind her. GFeller is shooting 49, 40 and 83 percentage.

To me, it's taking the coach a long time to get his recruits. And, my pet peeve, firing 6 players in his first week did absolutely nothing to speed up his recruiting.

8-11, 4-4, 4-5 at home. Give me Campbell. 6th in the conference now. Record is the 8th in conference out of 10. Maybe the LG played a tougher schedule; I don't know.

I assume the players like the coach, but don't know. I know some parents of good players in MT think he's arrogant. Is he recruiting any MT players now? I assume the Tinkle coach is a good/big help.

As I said at the outset, I thought he would do well or reasonably well, but it's not like he's been shot out a cannon.

Of those of you who know, what do you think of him and his personality? He seems to smile. That's good.

My only personal contact with Coach is HoopClub. He is open, personable, and informative. I like him. His current frosh class, and the upcoming one are amazing recruits. But he needs to find some quality bigs. He has stated that is his priority. But he also emphasizes all recruits must be quality people who fit the program.
After games, Coach will come across court, meet and shake hands with fans, and thank them for coming. When was the last time you saw a UM coach do that?

maroonandsilver said:
mthoopsfan said:

My only personal contact with Coach is HoopClub. He is open, personable, and informative. I like him. His current frosh class, and the upcoming one are amazing recruits. But he needs to find some quality bigs. He has stated that is his priority. But he also emphasizes all recruits must be quality people who fit the program.
After games, Coach will come across court, meet and shake hands with fans, and thank them for coming. When was the last time you saw a UM coach do that?

Mike Petrino. Every game, win or lose, as an assistant and head coach. I emphasize that this is merely an answer to your question. No sour grapes on Montana's coaching change (from me and, I'm quite certain, from Mike, who is a very classy person).

I think Lady Griz skills are there for sure. The entire team seemed exhausted on Saturday. Like they are playing at elevation. Maybe team burdened with morale problems rooted in coaching changes and upcoming Schweyen lawsuit. They just don’t seem to be strong on collegiality or the joy of playing the game. How to improve on that I don’t know but I hope they find a way and keep wanting to send positive vibes their way!

I have watched Sophia play in 2 games at FGCU. She seems looser like under less pressure there! Saturday she scored 24 points ….though FGCU lost in OT. It was nice to see her seeming to enjoy the game.

I notice MSU has a dietitian on board for the athletic teams. Rigorous schedule I would think attention to basics might be good idea given how fatigued Lady Griz look.

GrizCC1979 said:
I think Lady Griz skills are there for sure. The entire team seemed exhausted on Saturday. Like they are playing at elevation. Maybe team burdened with morale problems rooted in coaching changes and upcoming Schweyen lawsuit. They just don’t seem to be strong on collegiality or the joy of playing the game. How to improve on that I don’t know but I hope they find a way and keep wanting to send positive vibes their way!

I have watched Sophia play in 2 games at FGCU. She seems looser like under less pressure there! Saturday she scored 24 points ….though FGCU lost in OT. It was nice to see her seeming to enjoy the game.

I notice MSU has a dietitian on board for the athletic teams. Rigorous schedule I would think attention to basics might be good idea given how fatigued Lady Griz look.

Wow, what a game for her. I just looked at the stats. I tried to figure out how to see one of her games on an upcoming trip to Florida, but Naples is too far from Gulf Coast. I'm glad she's doing so well. Assumed she would. Thx for heads up.

mthoopsfan said:
GrizCC1979 said:

Wow, what a game for her. I just looked at the stats. I tried to figure out how to see one of her games on an upcoming trip to Florida, but Naples is too far from Gulf Coast. I'm glad she's doing so well. Assumed she would. Thx for heads up.

FGCU located in Fort Myers is a mere 43.5 mikes north of Naples. Too far???? :roll:

griz71 said:
mthoopsfan said:

FGCU located in Fort Myers is a mere 43.5 mikes north of Naples. Too far???? :roll:

I must have looked up the wrong school. I thought it was way up north. Thanks. I'll check the schedule. Glad someone is taking care of me. Edit: 2 away games; darn.

mthoopsfan said:
griz71 said:

I must have looked up the wrong school. I thought it was way up north. Thanks. I'll check the schedule. Glad someone is taking care of me. Edit: 2 away games; darn.

:thumb: :D

In comparing Campbell and Holsinger, One perspective could be that Mark made the right move in getting rid of the entire roster at Sac St except one player. Brian made the effort to evaluate film and give some kids a chance. Mark is taking an experienced group and teaching them his system. Brian is building with talented youth (don't forget, he is only one year in to his players).. Positives and negatives to both. Obviously, we are gonna have some growing pains. Gina sat out a year, Keeli two years, Sammy and Gfeller learning their 3rd system. I think it is clear that Holsinger can recruit top caliber talent to come to a place that most people describe as being in the middle of nowhere. I predict that in two years, he will have a group that will be tough to beat in the Big Sky.

Grizrunr said:
In comparing Campbell and Holsinger, One perspective could be that Mark made the right move in getting rid of the entire roster at Sac St except one player. Brian made the effort to evaluate film and give some kids a chance. Mark is taking an experienced group and teaching them his system. Brian is building with talented youth (don't forget, he is only one year in to his players).. Positives and negatives to both. Obviously, we are gonna have some growing pains. Gina sat out a year, Keeli two years, Sammy and Gfeller learning their 3rd system. I think it is clear that Holsinger can recruit top caliber talent to come to a place that most people describe as being in the middle of nowhere. I predict that in two years, he will have a group that will be tough to beat in the Big Sky.

Sac coach got rid of entire roster but one player? Huh? Mthoops has spent two years condemning Holsinger for getting rid of a decent NAIA player, a Red's bartender (via transfer portal from the Mo Club), an MSU track athlete who's not played basketball in about 4 years, a sub on a marginal team in Tennessee and two others no longer playing anywhere.

The same guy now saying it seems be taking the coach a long time to get his players!! Clueless....

Mousegriz said:
Grizrunr said:

Sac coach got rid of entire roster but one player? Huh? Mthoops has spent two years condemning Holsinger for getting rid of a decent NAIA player, a Red's bartender (via transfer portal from the Mo Club), an MSU track athlete who's not played basketball in about 4 years, a sub on a marginal team in Tennessee and two others no longer playing anywhere.

The same guy now saying it seems be taking the coach a long time to get his players!! Clueless....

Mr. Benchwarmer. feel free to show us where Campbell got rid of all but one player in the first week. He didn't. Jeez, try looking at the facts before you continue to post your stupid stuff. He brought in at least 4 transfers this season, after being hired in the spring of '21. He made his transition of players over 2 seasons, not 1 week.

Mousegriz said:
Hoops......did I get the "Where are they after the Massacre" parts wrong?

I have no idea. I don't stalk current or former LG like you apparently do.

Have you figured out that Campbell changed his roster in 2 seasons, not 1 week, and that's a huge difference.

Western is doing pretty well this year, and the Momberg girls are doing pretty well. 18-3. 2 losses to Carroll, but playing them again. Joelnell hit several 3's in the last game. She's shooting 40, 26 and 91%.

Are you going to keep trashing her for her whole career? At least, she's playing. You said your son sat mostly on the bench. Better than Fatkin and Marxen. Not quite as good as Stump. Better in FT than anyone on the LG.

I"d like to see the LG play Carrroll or Western.

Does it make you good to keep trashing these former LG? Does it make you feel like a big guy? Shows me that you are a loser, and always will be.

Momberg is the best of the 6. 5th in scoring at Western and appears she found her place. Probably better than decent. Sorry! If that's trashing her so be it. Keller went to Carroll after last season and also appears to be in a good spot. Why are you so hung up on my keeping tabs on these 6 former players? Stalking? Deserving of your weird obscure personal comments? Go get me if it makes you feel like a big guy!

So just to clarify, since the Sac coach cycled 12 players out over 2 seasons and Holsinger cycled 6 out when hired, they are no where near the same...unless you compare numbers game played by both after 2 seasons.

Oh, and just to be real, if JM were still in Missoula, it would be on the end of the bench, not getting time before Marxen or Fatkin or Stump.

Back