• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz/cat Week

mtgrizrule said:
griznative24 said:
Agree with a lack of athleticism on this team. That just is what it is. Recruiting is an issue, but Travis could help this team with a newer age identity for offense.

Yet, Brown is athletic and riding the bench. A few successful coaches recruit athletic players over fundamentally sound players. Why is that? Athleticism can't be coaches, but the fundamental, skills, and philosophy can be coached. It's easier to coach a competitive athletic player up, than teaching a player to be athletic. The exception, overweight guys that have athleticism, but weight is limiting them. Losing weight helps with athleticism.

I'd take more chances with a few more athletic players, and mix in the gym rats. The likes of Bannan and Gregory are gym rats. The likes of Oguine, Rorie, Pridgett are the perfect blend we need. Speaking of Bannan, he's leaner now, and he has become more athletic since arriving.

We definitely need to mix in more athleticism.

Oguine, Rorie, Pridgett, and Akoh were athletes AND fundamental players. That lineup is a highlight of Griz Ball, but to be honest, that is an unrealistic goal for any big sky team. But man, Pridgett after the others left was playing on an elite level. His game was so much fun to watch. He might be my favorite player of all time for the Griz. Lets just hope Decuire can go find another 4 like that ;)

griznative24 said:
mtgrizrule said:
Yet, Brown is athletic and riding the bench. A few successful coaches recruit athletic players over fundamentally sound players. Why is that? Athleticism can't be coaches, but the fundamental, skills, and philosophy can be coached. It's easier to coach a competitive athletic player up, than teaching a player to be athletic. The exception, overweight guys that have athleticism, but weight is limiting them. Losing weight helps with athleticism.

I'd take more chances with a few more athletic players, and mix in the gym rats. The likes of Bannan and Gregory are gym rats. The likes of Oguine, Rorie, Pridgett are the perfect blend we need. Speaking of Bannan, he's leaner now, and he has become more athletic since arriving.

We definitely need to mix in more athleticism.

Oguine, Rorie, Pridgett, and Akoh were athletes AND fundamental players. That lineup is a highlight of Griz Ball, but to be honest, that is an unrealistic goal for any big sky team. But man, Pridgett after the others left was playing on an elite level. His game was so much fun to watch. He might be my favorite player of all time for the Griz. Lets just hope Decuire can go find another 4 like that ;)
Amazing what Pridgett did. No doubt my favorite DeCuire era player. Despite the lack of forward height, he could do it all.
DeCuire rode out his early turnover propensity. That paid off big time. Hopefully, DeCuire will find that patience again.

By the way, Pridgett's spin move was the absolute best.

The Griz are 0-4 this year in games decided on the last possession, 0-5 if the loss in the final 1:10 at EWU is tossed in. As frustrating as it has been for fans, I'm certain the players are equally, if not more vexed. No deep analysis here regarding the "whys," but I was courtside and watched the Griz battle to the final buzzer. As vexing as the loss to the Cats was, it was still a great game. I don't think this team is going to give up.

I've watched Griz teams in similar circumstances, 2010 for example, which was the last time the Cats beat the Griz in Missoula and the last time the Cats swept the Griz. All that underdog team did was win the Big Sky Tourney title in Ogden vs the overwhelming Damian Lillard favorite Wildcats. There's still a lot more basketball to be played. Go Griz.

P.S. And... oh yeah. In 2010 there were Griz "fans" publicly calling for the Montana hoops coach to be fired.

mtgrizrule said:
griznative24 said:
Amazing what Pridgett did. No doubt my favorite DeCuire era player. Despite the lack of forward height, he could do it all.
DeCuire rode out his early turnover propensity. That paid off big time. Hopefully, DeCuire will find that patience again.

By the way, Pridgett's spin move was the absolute best.

He played like he was 6'10'' when needed. I think it was the first time the Griz played Michigan (still can't believe they gave us that game two years in a row) and Pridgett was getting those moves off against the wolverines bigs. It was special. But his mid range game was what stood out to me. There was a sequence in Dahlberg against ISU(?) his senior year when he took the ball up court, pulled up from left of the key, swished it, went back on defense, got the rebound and proceeded to dribble up the court to the same spot and drill the same shot. Damn. Gotta go watch some highlights from that era now :D

Back