• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

…inbounds..against the press…

zengriz

DONOR
…tallest..smartest..best athlete becomes the passer…
…in that order..equals bannon..like last night last inbound…
...fastest..best free throw shooters become receivers..no brainer..
…just the opposite of the two turnovers around the five minute mark…

… :shock: …

zengriz said:

Yep. But why doesn't Travis know this?

RoseyMustGo said:
zengriz said:

You're blaming a player throwing a bad pass, while falling down after tripping, on the coach. That is lame by anybodies standards. None of us have any idea of what play was called by the coaches. We saw the result and that is all. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. ;)

oldrunner said:
RoseyMustGo said:
You're blaming a player throwing a bad pass, while falling down after tripping, on the coach. That is lame by anybodies standards. None of us have any idea of what play was called by the coaches. We saw the result and that is all. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. ;)

True, but the main complaint oldrunner has been the PROCESS. Not necessarily this one in-bounds play. The Griz struggled most of last year and all of this year (with the exception of the ISU game last night), hence the questioning of what the staff may do to “fix-it” because it has long been an issue.

They were as bad against inbounds pressure last night as vs. Weber. Several other late turnovers with game in hand. There will be more games that aren't in hand! Inbounds problems need to be figured out. Martin was the passer last night and seemed as flustered as game before.

A few years back Weber was struggling with presses. I think it was eventually resolved with recruiting and a lot of practice in press breaking. We haven't been a pressing team in a long time. That may be why it was shocking at the end of that game. several years ago I asked our coach why we didn't press like we had earlier in his career. He told me it had to do with what sort of team you had. He said if you are a strong rebounding and half court defensive team, you don't want to press because teams can get easy buckets if they are prepared to break it. It's all about creating possessions. If you are struggling to rebound, then you may be forced to press a lot. When he had his pressing teams, he would use about 6 different kinds of presses.

Beating a press is all about being prepared for it and having the kind of players who can see the seams and make the right pass. That coach thought it was important to have taller guards to see the court better.

You are going to see a lot of pressing when you play PSU.

Rather it be quick passing, or quick dribbling, they're both needed to break presses. We have solid ball handlers in a half court offense. However, we don't have that quick dribbling ball handler in our top 8 rotation. That quick ball handler is Brown. Use him, when you know the press is likely.

I think that's a role worth experimenting with. He's also a quick defender. I hope he sees a few rotations against PSU.
He needs a role. That just maybe the role to ask him to commit to. I once assigned that a ball handler defensive role to a smaller faster player. He was a solid ball handler too.
I told him, don't worry about shooting or anything else, just handle the ball and defend. Make opponents pay with your quickness!! He committed to the role. His parents even thanked me for finding him an important role. It worked well.

That player didn't have anywhere the physical talent Brown does. However, it was an important role that utilized the 2 things he could do. It also gave him pride and confidence to build on. Yes, he did shutdown terrific players and didn't turnover the ball.

How about throwing over the TOP of the press? If you're crafty and have well-designed plays, a press should yield a layup the the other end.

Funny thing is, I watched a game against Portland State a few years ago and we handled their press just fine. We stationed Akoh at center-side court and had another guy release down the court. The passing options opened right up--especially the passes to Akoh. So DeCuire has handled the press before.

This bit us against Duquense. Okay, that's the first game of the season, plenty of time to get this fixed. Yet seemingly we haven't. That collapse at Northern Colorado was just embarrassing.

citay said:
How about throwing over the TOP of the press? If you're crafty and have well-designed plays, a press should yield a layup the the other end.

Funny thing is, I watched a game against Portland State a few years ago and we handled their press just fine. We stationed Akoh at center-side court and had another guy release down the court. The passing options opened right up--especially the passes to Akoh. So DeCuire has handled the press before.

This bit us against Duquense. Okay, that's the first game of the season, plenty of time to get this fixed. Yet seemingly we haven't. That collapse at Northern Colorado was just embarrassing.

Uh, sounds like a coaching problem. Agreed?

RoseyMustGo said:
citay said:

I don't think it is fair to proclaim it is a coaching problem, unless you have been at every practice to see what they are teaching. All you can really say is that a play or plan didn't work. That could have been the counter plan from the other team, lack of execution, or there may have been a lack of planning. Although, that last one is the least likely. In the Weber game, your player was clearly trying to go over the top to a wide open player, a good call by the coach, but the execution failed for accidental reasons. In these other instances, you have seen a lack of execution and trying to credit it to something that you can not possibly know. I feel that you are coming to conclusions that are not supported by true knowlege.

oldrunner said:
RoseyMustGo said:
I don't think it is fair to proclaim it is a coaching problem, unless you have been at every practice to see what they are teaching. All you can really say is that a play or plan didn't work. That could have been the counter plan from the other team, lack of execution, or there may have been a lack of planning. Although, that last one is the least likely. In the Weber game, your player was clearly trying to go over the top to a wide open player, a good call by the coach, but the execution failed for accidental reasons. In these other instances, you have seen a lack of execution and trying to credit it to something that you can not possibly know. I feel that you are coming to conclusions that are not supported by true knowlege.

Look dude, we couldn't get the ball in play and had to call time out. There were fewer than 5 seconds left in the game. Any coach worth his jock knows that you have your tallest player handle the throw-in, because he will have a defender in his face and needs to be tall enough to see over that guy. With less than 5 seconds left, you throw a baseball pass down the court to a player lining-up in the front-court, taking a fake move toward the guy throwing the ball in, then streaking to the other side of half court.

One of two outcomes will happen. If the pass is an accurate one, the player catches it and the game over. If a defender somehow retrieves the pass, he will have little time from far into the his backcourt to get a reasonable shot at the basket.

Back