• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ Ewu, game 2.

RoseyMustGo said:
zengriz said:
...going thru bannon doesn't make him the shooter...
...at the point or in the paint..it sets up the offense...
...allow the offense to position for what comes up...
...coming down hucking up 3s isn't working for us...

...played the game...

Astute post. Just like the Denver Rockets go through Jokic on most of their offensive sets, it looks like Bannon is our best facilitator. Seems like most of the international players learn the art of passing, and fundamentals, much more than current American players. Fundamentals are sorely lacking with most American players these days.

...that you mention jokic rosey..is what's astute...
...jokic might already be the greatest passer of all time...
...if he's not yet..he's in the conversation with magic and lebron...

... :cool:...

zengriz said:
RoseyMustGo said:
Astute post. Just like the Denver Rockets go through Jokic on most of their offensive sets, it looks like Bannon is our best facilitator. Seems like most of the international players learn the art of passing, and fundamentals, much more than current American players. Fundamentals are sorely lacking with most American players these days.

My question is...... how can a all-omniscient zen-master think I am astute, when so many other posters call me an idiot? Inquiring minds wanna know......

mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:
If if if. This is just a mediocre team. Plain and simple.

Based on record, yes. Based on what needs to be done to get more wins, no. Honestly, it's a matter of hitting shots.
DeCuire nailed it in post-game. The right players were taking the right shots. They just didn't fall. Can't really dispute that. He's 100% correct.

This is a redeaux of last season. 16-14 will be a miracle.

RoseyMustGo said:
grizzlyjournal said:
Missed the men's 64-57 loss to EWU because I was at the women's game... but just streamed the game tonight.

The Griz played a solid game all over the court... great offensive movement, nail-tough man-on defense, and one of their best rebounding efforts all season. Tied at 57 before things unraveled at the end. But.... The huge puzzle for me was to watch the Griz make only 5-for-28 from beyond the arc... on literally 28 open looks after watching them convert 13-for-27 vs ISU. I know that shooters have off nights, but it's still a puzzle watching hot go to ice cold within the span of 48 hours. Wonder which team will show up vs. the Cats on Saturday. Go Griz.

The key point to your post was "before things unraveled at the end". This is a recurring theme for a DeCuire-coached team. So, do we just give it a pass, or call it for what it is?

I'm assuming, by your reply, that you did not watch the final 2 minutes.

I would not blame "the unraveling," as it occured, on the coach; Montana's game plan and play throughout was solid,; they were positioned to win in Cheney. But Montana simply did not capitalize on several earlier situations where a missed (several wide open) trey could have given the Griz breathing room at crunch time.

Instead, the game was tied at 57 with 1:54 remaining. I would not "blame" coach DeCuire for Brandon Whitney's foul, Josh Bannan's two "missed" layups, or missed open trey attempts by Josh Vazquez and Lonnell Martin. Simply put, that's how the game tilted in the final 110 seconds of play. I "blame" the loss on Montana's 17.9% shooting from the perimeter... all very open looks.

I took Jud Heathcoate's excellent "Coaching Basketball" course at UM and still remember one of his core philosophies (repeated endlessly to us). THIS (a rough paraphrase, with the cussing removed :lol: ): "A winning team is one that consistently prevents an otherwise good game from being decided in the final seconds (by the opponent or by a ref, and sometimes by you). But when that happens, you simply gotta accept all the strange and crazy things that happen and learn how to NOT let it happen the next time you play." What Jud kept repeating is that winning teams learn to win by kicking things up a gear or two over the final 10 minutes of a game... something that he said a coach couldn't always teach his players. You know... players like Eric Hays.

grizzlyjournal said:
RoseyMustGo said:
The key point to your post was "before things unraveled at the end". This is a recurring theme for a DeCuire-coached team. So, do we just give it a pass, or call it for what it is?

I would not blame "the unraveling," as it occured, on the coach; Montana's game plan and play throughout was solid,; they were positioned to win in Cheney. But Montana simply did not capitalize on several earlier situations where a missed (several wide open) trey could have given the Griz breathing room at crunch time.

Instead, the game was tied at 57 with 1:54 remaining. I would not "blame" coach DeCuire for Brandon Whitney's foul, Josh Bannan's two "missed" layups, or missed open trey attempts by Josh Vazquez and Lonnell Martin. Simply put, that's how the game tilted in the final 110 seconds of play. I "blame" the loss on Montana's 17.9% shooting from the perimeter... all very open looks.

I took Jud Heathcoate's excellent "Coaching Basketball" course at UM and still remember one of his core philosophies (repeated endlessly to us). THIS (a rough paraphrase, with the cussing removed :lol: ): "A winning team is one that consistently prevents an otherwise good game from being decided in the final seconds (by the opponent or by a ref, and sometimes by you). But when that happens, you simply gotta accept all the strange and crazy things that happen and learn how to NOT let it happen the next time you play." What Jud kept repeating is that winning teams learn to win by kicking things up a gear or two over the final 10 minutes of a game... something that he said a coach couldn't always teach his players. You know... players like Eric Hays.

I watched the game, and DeCuire was out-coached once again. In crunch time, with a tie score, you get the ball inside to your best scorer, and get either a bucket, or shoot foul shots. Three-point shots in the last couple minutes of a tie game are poor shots. Much lower percentage than shots in the paint. And losing in crunch time is a recurring situation for a DeCuire coached team. Where have you been? It has been discussed ad nauseating on this board.

RoseyMustGo said:
zengriz said:

My question is...... how can a all-omniscient zen-master think I am astute, when so many other posters call me an idiot? Inquiring minds wanna know......

...everybody entitled to their on opinion..rosey...
...that's the beauty of coming on a college chat board...
...sometimes people forget to respect another one's opinion...
...always come with low expectations..that way you'll never be disappointed...

... :cool: ..

...p s..i'm not a zen master i just play one on egriz...

zengriz said:
RoseyMustGo said:

...everybody entitled to their on opinion..rosey...
...that's the beauty of coming on a college chat board...
...sometimes people forget to respect another one's opinion...
...always come with low expectations..that way you'll never be disappointed...

... :cool: ..

...p s..i'm not a zen master i just play one on egriz...

Yeah, that should be the case...... that is, unless one takes the contrarian position of ignoring the failures of our coaches, and pushes for a change of direction. Then, he becomes the enemy.

RoseyMustGo said:
grizzlyjournal said:

I watched the game, and DeCuire was out-coached once again. In crunch time, with a tie score, you get the ball inside to your best scorer, and get either a bucket, or shoot foul shots. Three-point shots in the last couple minutes of a tie game are poor shots. Much lower percentage than shots in the paint. And losing in crunch time is a recurring situation for a DeCuire coached team. Where have you been? It has been discussed ad nauseating on this board.

Let’s play your theory out. Griz are shooting around 15% from 3. If your Eastern coach what do you tell your players during the last time out? The best Griz player is Bannon and you do not want him to get the ball down deep so what do you do? You pack your defense to prevent him from getting the ball and scoring or getting free throws. You take the chance that the Griz will make a 3 or not. Percentages tell you the Griz cannot hit their ass from three so you go with the percentages. Simple as that.

RoseyMustGo said:
grizzlyjournal said:

RMG: If you label me contrarian because I support this team and these coaches, that's perfectly OK by me. I'll proudly bear that mantle (Go Griz). But otherwise, it's my personal credo to respect the opinions of everyone who posts here. Everyone. :thumb:

Back