• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2022 and Beyond University of Montana Lady Griz Basketball Recruiting

GrizBaba said:
maroonandsilver said:
Yes. Time to get back to the immediate and pertinent questions:

-Is Stiles coming back?

-Is Fatkin getting a waiver from the NCAA?

-Beyond the incoming freshmen who we have known about for some time , are there additions/transfers to the 2022-23 LG roster?

One thing we know is that they probably won't need transfers if Stiles and Fatkin come back. There's going to be some stiff competition for playing time next season.

The NCAA extension for covid eligibility makes roster juggling interesting. You are right I don't think they'd have room roster wise if Fatkin and Stiles return, but since the NCAA has essentially said that schools are on own to fund those extra covid years outside their scholarship fund, that they aren't going to be counters. As such I think there might be a scholarship or two out there depending on how Fatkin or Stiles are classified. Just will depend on whether they can carry more than 15 players on their active roster.

mthoopsfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PR, I think your personal relationships and feelings are making more out of this than it really is. Was the process questionable, maybe, but I don't have an issue with him cutting 6 players. Not sure why you continually fall back to the race card on this. At this point, I am over this entire argument, but it is apparent that PR will never be.

Why do you keep bringing up Momberg, and now referring to the race card? I said nothing recently that remotely was falling back on the race card. If you think I did, then that indicates to me that you don't understand racial prejudice and that you are probably racist, or have racist tendencies. In my experience, people who respond by saying someone is using the race card, likely is racist or has racist tendencies or doesn't understand racism. Why can't you just drop it? You are the problem, not me.

If you want to educate yourself a bit, see below:

"There Is No Race Card To Play Because Race Is Intertwined Into Everything"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shereeatcheson/2021/01/05/there-is-no-race-card-to-play-because-race-is-intertwined-into-everything/?sh=5fe0e18a5cc7

"The ‘playing the race card’ accusation is just a way to silence us"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/16/playing-the-race-card-racism-black-experience

"Ten Lessons for Talking About Race, Racism, and Racial Justice"

"Know the Counter Narratives.
Some themes consistently emerge in conversations about race, particularly from those who do not want to talk about unequal opportunity or the existence of racism. While we all probably feel like we know these narratives inside out, it’s still important to examine them and particularly to watch how they evolve and change. The point in doing this is not to argue against each theme point by point, but to understand what stories are happening in people’s heads when we try to start a productive conversation. A few common themes include:

"Alleging discrimination is itself racist and divisive.

"Know the Counter Narratives.

Claiming discrimination is “playing the race card,” opportunistic, hypocritical demagoguery."

https://www.opportunityagenda.org/explore/resources-publications/lessons-talking-about-race-racism-and-racial-justice

"Why The “Race Card” Doesn’t Exist And How To Be A Better Ally"

https://www.thegoodtrade.com/features/how-to-be-a-better-ally

I never mentioned Momberg and half your post that I quoted was about race. Why did I say that you are playing the "race card"? Well because this specific issue has nothing to do with it, yet you continue to associate with it. But enough, I am done.

mthoopsfan said:
GrizBaba said:
I know you don't want to listen to BH's interviews, but he talked about that very topic shortly after arriving to MT.

How do you think the new coach did on evaluating Murphy, as well as the MT frosh she kept?

And I talked to several of the affected players and their families, as well as former Griz coaches. Also, to several former Griz players. I talked to to 3 then current players in person, less than 48 hours before the cuts were mades, 2 of whom got cut. When I asked what they thought of the new coach, they said they hadn't met him, as he hadn't been in town much. I know from selling my house during this time, that the new coach was working on finding a house and getting his family transitioned.

That BH interview from last year probably would answer some of your questions, if you were willing to go back and look for it. It's water under the bridge to me, so I'm not going to dredge up past discussions with my time.

As for Murphy, BH had his reasons that I won't second-guess.

mthoopsfan said:
Grizfan-24 said:
We are somewhere around 30 pages of banter on this now on an event that is a year old. This is getting into my grandfather's Halibut fishing story territory. The claims only get more absurd and conflated as time moves on.

I'm not a gatekeeper of this site, not a moderator, but this is getting tired. We get it, people are bitter about Holsinger's actions. I have a few people you can meet that are still pissed about Engstrom, Wayne Hogan, changing of griz colors, and something Mike Montgomery did in 1985.

It seems to me that a current Griz coach and his ongoing recruits should be fair game for discussion. What is mostly driving the BS, are several people who keep bringing up Momberg. If anyone brings her up unfairly, I am going to provide the correct information and defend her. I am not aware of anyone, including myself who is "bitter" about the new coach's action. I have not brought up the initial actions of the new coach, since early last summer. It was always someone else who directly or indirectly said something about the actions, Momberg or me.

Note that the latest discussion was triggered by Wyo's stupid post. Mostly out of the blue. Saying that a player who moved out of state for her senior year, did not make MT all star teams is totally idiotic.

You may want to look at Oredigger's recent post. He pretty much said what I have been saying, just in a nicer less direct way. If you really want to get rid of the BS part of this discussion, you may want to direct criticism directly at the Wyo's, Mouse's and HHB's of the world. It's not that there's just one thread. Those types keep bringing up the subject in various threads.

P.S. Several questions for you, which I do expect or want you to answer. In all of your years of coaching or following basketball, are you aware of any situation in which a new college coach got rid of 6 scholarship players when he/she took the job, let alone doing that within a week or 10 days and without having seen them practice or even meeting them in some cases. The move was unprecedented, and unnecessary, in my view. Had the new coach had already lined up 6 good transfers or high school kids willing to come in and contribute, then I would have a different view. Do you think moving on Momberg is not going to impact recruiting NA women from MT? Do you think NA's didn't notice that? Do you think NA coaches, including Momberg's stepdad, didn't notice that? If I am ever asked by a NA family about the new coach, do you think I will put in a good word for him? Do you condone posters continuing to bring up, and sometimes trash, the former NA player, or even the other departed players?

"Momberg" "Her" and "NA" only mentioned 10 times in this post! :thumb:

But mthoopsfan only brought her up last year when commenting on the 6 "fired" players. 4 of which are still "unemployed". 2 of which (with a little improvement next year) may have found "jobs" commensurate with their "work skills".

Mousegriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
It seems to me that a current Griz coach and his ongoing recruits should be fair game for discussion. What is mostly driving the BS, are several people who keep bringing up Momberg. If anyone brings her up unfairly, I am going to provide the correct information and defend her. I am not aware of anyone, including myself who is "bitter" about the new coach's action. I have not brought up the initial actions of the new coach, since early last summer. It was always someone else who directly or indirectly said something about the actions, Momberg or me.

Note that the latest discussion was triggered by Wyo's stupid post. Mostly out of the blue. Saying that a player who moved out of state for her senior year, did not make MT all star teams is totally idiotic.

You may want to look at Oredigger's recent post. He pretty much said what I have been saying, just in a nicer less direct way. If you really want to get rid of the BS part of this discussion, you may want to direct criticism directly at the Wyo's, Mouse's and HHB's of the world. It's not that there's just one thread. Those types keep bringing up the subject in various threads.

P.S. Several questions for you, which I do expect or want you to answer. In all of your years of coaching or following basketball, are you aware of any situation in which a new college coach got rid of 6 scholarship players when he/she took the job, let alone doing that within a week or 10 days and without having seen them practice or even meeting them in some cases. The move was unprecedented, and unnecessary, in my view. Had the new coach had already lined up 6 good transfers or high school kids willing to come in and contribute, then I would have a different view. Do you think moving on Momberg is not going to impact recruiting NA women from MT? Do you think NA's didn't notice that? Do you think NA coaches, including Momberg's stepdad, didn't notice that? If I am ever asked by a NA family about the new coach, do you think I will put in a good word for him? Do you condone posters continuing to bring up, and sometimes trash, the former NA player, or even the other departed players?

"Momberg" "Her" and "NA" only mentioned 10 times in this post! :thumb:

But mthoopsfan only brought her up last year when commenting on the 6 "fired" players. 4 of which are still "unemployed". 2 of which (with a little improvement next year) may have found "jobs" commensurate with their "work skills".

Only in mention of posts by dummies by yourself. Not one time did I bring up Momberg other than dickheads like yourself and HHB brought up your name.

I think it's interesting that you trash Momberg when you, as you've said, have a son who was a bench was a benchwarmer for a non-
DI school in MT, presumably an NAIA school. I guess I will have to expose you.

By my count, the 23-24 roster is currently on track to have 13 players. I anticipate Holsinger will try to add at least one more (probably a forward/center) to the 2023 class.

Gracie Johnson and Aiyana Mitchell both have received offers from the Lady Griz. Covill seems to be another big worth keeping an eye on. All are in the 6-4 to 6-6 range.

OregonStateFan said:
By my count, the 23-24 roster is currently on track to have 13 players. I anticipate Holsinger will try to add at least one more (probably a forward/center) to the 2023 class.

Gracie Johnson and Aiyana Mitchell both have received offers from the Lady Griz. Covill seems to be another big worth keeping an eye on. All are in the 6-4 to 6-6 range.

I think you are correct. I really feel we will need a "big" or two. It appears to me that we are gathering a lot of talent at the guard position and are potentially deeper at the guard position and even the small forward position, and we need to add more depth at the 4 and 5 position.

Griz football seems to have gone Woke. C'mon Haslam, be consistent. Tell Holsinger to get with the program. How many transgendered basketball players have the Lady Griz signed up? Sign up a couple of Lia Thomas basketball players and POOF! A quick way to upgrade the level of play, eh? NC in 'W'BB is just around the corner! The big schools will never see it coming. :lol:

Montana has offered 2025 Sara Barhoum from Oregon while on her unofficial visit:
https://twitter.com/barhoumjohn/status/1539026548329549825?s=21&t=NMg1rI5j2ZCJ-k_O86P3AA

ASGR, a national WBB recruiting service, ranks Breanna Williams (Skyview HS) No. 7 overall in the class of 2024.
https://twitter.com/asgrmedia/status/1539245675854036993?s=21&t=pabZ3eY20NlBGwSYIb9yiw
The same service ranks Macey Huard No. 240 overall and lists her as a May stockriser.
https://twitter.com/asgrmedia/status/1539610209076887552?s=21&t=pabZ3eY20NlBGwSYIb9yiw

Macy Donarski is currently playing at the Nike EYBL girls tournament for Wisconsin Flight. EYBL is the highest level of AAU.

She had a solid first game - 6 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, and 0 turnovers.

Here’s the link that includes live streams and stats:
https://nikegirlseybl.com/live-stats

OregonStateFan said:
Macy Donarski is currently playing at the Nike EYBL girls tournament for Wisconsin Flight. EYBL is the highest level of AAU.

We're keepin' track of recruits going to St. Louis University nowadays?

WyomingGrizFan said:
OregonStateFan said:

Not so fast! It appears she has committed to Montana after a coaching change at St. Louis :) OregonStateFan doesn't miss on things like this!
https://twitter.com/macydonarski

GrizBaba said:
WyomingGrizFan said:

Not so fast! It appears she has committed to Montana after a coaching change at St. Louis :) OregonStateFan doesn't miss on things like this!
https://twitter.com/macydonarski

O.K. O.K. I missed that one apparently. So two recruits for the Class of 2023 already?

And if I'm not misreading it the following site has Donarski as the #4 player out of
Wisconsin for the year of 2023: https://www.prepgirlshoops.com/wisconsin/

Thanks for the heads up. I can't seem to get signed up for ESPNU. If you have a moment, let us know what you think.

Back