• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

DCH

Jackieb125 said:
So going into 2022, 4 players from 2020 are left. Martin was a transfer last year and didn’t start, I’m not sure about if any bench players are left because I don’t know who they were.

Crazy isn't it? It is kinda common across most of the conference though. If you look at the thread on Big Sky transfers and each school is about in the same boat. The transfer portal has made it where Big Sky schools might end up recruiting very few kids out of high school and just primarily wait for players that are unhappy at bigger schools or JC tranfers. Look at Big Sky 1st team all Conference.Jubrile Belo, Montana State-Lamar JC
Daylen Kountz, Northern Colorado*-Transfer from Colorado, Koby McEwen, Weber State- Transfer from Marquette/Utah St, Xavier Bishop, Montana State- Transfer from Missouri-Kansas City and
John Knight III, Southern Utah-Transfer from Utah State. The five best players in the conference didn't start at their school. Why take a chance on a kid that might get homesick or be upset about playing time out of high school and bounce after a couple years? It might just be the reality of it all now.

The number of players that finish their eligibility with one school is going to be miniscule! Trivia question type numbers. :(

Uncle Rico, I think you’re right. Maybe DCH was told after they secured the brothers that he wouldn’t be playing the time he’d like. If that is true, they left him hanging until the portal closed. I hope he’s able to secure a spot somewhere.

Another gut-punch. Lemme know when this free-for-all "portal window" starts to become ridiculous? ;)

Zirg said:
Another gut-punch. Lemme know when this free-for-all "portal window" starts to become ridiculous? ;)

That's an easy answer, the day it started. College athletics as you grew up with is gone.

It is what it is, I guess. Coaches need to stop recruiting/scouting high-school kids. The ONLY way to thrive (unless you are a top 50 program) is being a good transfer-recruiter. Why waste 2-3 years developing raw hs talent when you can go out and nab a cpl 21 year old D1 transfers, which are aplenty now?

Zirg said:
It is what it is, I guess. Coaches need to stop recruiting/scouting high-school kids. The ONLY way to thrive (unless you are a top 50 program) is being a good transfer-recruiter. Why waste 2-3 years developing raw hs talent when you can go out and nab a cpl 21 year old D1 transfers, which are aplenty now?

Agree 100%. Your success rate should be extremely high. The ability to watch players against D-1 competition before you recruit them is a game-changer. You may have a few attitude/work ethic/ chemistry issues that are sometimes a little tougher to see, but you should never be surprised with what you get from a basketball talent perspective.

With that said, I still think you can roll the dice with 2-3 scholarships on HS projects with size or elite athleticism. 13 D-1 transfers all expecting a better situation than what they left is a recipe for disaster.

Zirg said:

This only hurts the HS kids IMO. Football is different than BB for this as well. An occasional FB transfer in power 5 can fill a void. You still need to develop most kids. BB can literally use transfers year after year and fill a team.

AZDoc said:
Zirg said:

This only hurts the HS kids IMO. Football is different than BB for this as well. An occasional FB transfer in power 5 can fill a void. You still need to develop most kids. BB can literally use transfers year after year and fill a team.

I don’t know, man. Ford, Robertson, Belknap, Mayginnes, Forbes, Onu, Humphrey, Cotton, Childs, Macias, Todd, Babros.

That’s a whole lotta time/minutes over the course of the season for “occasional” FBS transfers….or it’s a whole lotta voids.

When you plug in the other guys who transferred UP, like O’Connell, Mallory, Pillans, Cook, Patterson and Knight, thats a WHOLE lotta voids….

AZGrizFan said:
AZDoc said:

I don’t know, man. Ford, Robertson, Belknap, Mayginnes, Forbes, Onu, Humphrey, Cotton, Childs, Macias, Todd, Babros.

That’s a whole lotta time/minutes over the course of the season for “occasional” FBS transfers….or it’s a whole lotta voids.

When you plug in the other guys who transferred UP, like O’Connell, Mallory, Pillans, Cook, Patterson and Knight, thats a WHOLE lotta voids….

I was meaning power 5 transfer to power 5 transfer. Dropping down…of course there is impact. My point was that…sure, Alabama may lose a few, but get a few to fill voids, but they develop their immense talent for the most part.

Much more impact in basketball. 3 transfers leaving is 20% of a full roster. Depending on roster size, including walk on players, that would be 16 to 20 players transferring from football.

AZDoc said:
AZGrizFan said:

I was meaning power 5 transfer to power 5 transfer. Dropping down…of course there is impact. My point was that…sure, Alabama may lose a few, but get a few to fill voids, but they develop their immense talent for the most part.

Gotcha. I didn't pick that up in the original post. :thumb:

I guess MY point is that, given the # of Griz transfers from FBS, other FCS, D-II and JC that get quality minutes or start, it's apparent that outside of a couple of positions (LB with O'Connell being a notable exception and WR), we don't appear to do a great job of developing HS talent into quality players....Our entire O-line had exactly ONE guy who spent his entire career here (Beaver). Outside of Graves and Fouch, almost all the other safeties were transfers, DL we seem to be looking for NT and DE help every single year, RB with Knight & Childs ostensibly 2 of the top 3 transferred in....at QB we haven't had a HS recruit start since Gresch Jensen in '17 (not counting Brown, who only played because of injury and has since been replaced by Johnson-a transfer).

rocklobster said:
I hope the best for DCH. I know the portal is a pain in the ass, but how is this happening? I think the world of Travis, but if these guys are leaving, then they never reached the expectations that were recruited for. Is this poor recruiting, or are the players just disenfranchised. I’m shocked that Vasquez hasn’t left, after his playing time last year. I like the changes for next year with size, but the chemistry is going to take a while to develop. The chemistry has taken a while to develop the last two or three years, and it’s lead to a lot of erratic play. If this team gels, it’ll be Travis’ best coaching job. Hate the portal. Shit, if Krystkowiak had played during the portal, he would have been gone after one year. This just sucks! That being said, I’m very interested to see how it all plays out.

No scholly left for DCH. Vasquez is staying for sure.

GrizPony said:
rocklobster said:
I hope the best for DCH. I know the portal is a pain in the ass, but how is this happening? I think the world of Travis, but if these guys are leaving, then they never reached the expectations that were recruited for. Is this poor recruiting, or are the players just disenfranchised. I’m shocked that Vasquez hasn’t left, after his playing time last year. I like the changes for next year with size, but the chemistry is going to take a while to develop. The chemistry has taken a while to develop the last two or three years, and it’s lead to a lot of erratic play. If this team gels, it’ll be Travis’ best coaching job. Hate the portal. Shit, if Krystkowiak had played during the portal, he would have been gone after one year. This just sucks! That being said, I’m very interested to see how it all plays out.

No scholly left for DCH. Vasquez is staying for sure.
It sure looks like there are still schollies left even with Vazquez staying.

Back