• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2022 and Beyond University of Montana Lady Griz Basketball Recruiting

Mousegriz said:
TrueGriz said:
I didn't see any player except Stump and Konig that is going to a big sky school. Looks good for the Lady Griz with competing for the top of the league standings.

This sure doesn't fit the mthoopsfan narrative. He's still pissing and moaning about Holsinger's "big miss" on Momberg and the player that went to Chattanooga....oh...and the other 3 or 4 "big misses" that don't play college hoops at all anymore!

I have never said anyone was a "big miss". My main point was that the new coach shouldn't have fired 6 players, in his first week, a move apparently unprecedented in college basketball. And doing it via Zoom was unprofessional. I also had wished he'd given the one Native American woman a better chance, because I loved Selvig's history in attracting and nurturing NA women. As for Murphy, I merely defended her, from various attacks from no-nothings, like yourself, on egriz. She had a good year at her new school, and, in my view, would have helped UM. I also mentioned that at least one of the new coach's recruits last year appeared to be a misfire. And, I've pointed out that the team was one and done in the tourney again, and won only a couple more conf. games, which, to me, doesn't justify the new-coach cheerleading being done by some posters. As I said at the outset, I assume the new coach will eventually do fine.

Can you spot the typos in my post? I'm planning to sprinkle typos around, so it gives you something to do.

mthoopsfan said:
Mousegriz said:
This sure doesn't fit the mthoopsfan narrative. He's still pissing and moaning about Holsinger's "big miss" on Momberg and the player that went to Chattanooga....oh...and the other 3 or 4 "big misses" that don't play college hoops at all anymore!

I have never said anyone was a "big miss". My main point was that the new coach shouldn't have fired 6 players, in his first week, a move apparently unprecedented in college basketball. And doing it via Zoom was unprofessional. I also had wished he'd given the one Native American woman a better chance, because I loved Selvig's history in attracting and nurturing NA women. As for Murphy, I merely defended her, from various attacks from no-nothings, like yourself, on egriz. She had a good year at her new school, and, in my view, would have helped UM. I also mentioned that at least one of the new coach's recruits last year appeared to be a misfire. And, I've pointed out that the team was one and done in the tourney again, and won only a couple more conf. games, which, to me, doesn't justify the new-coach cheerleading being done by some posters. As I said at the outset, I assume the new coach will eventually do fine.

Can you spot the typos in my post? I'm planning to sprinkle typos around, so it gives you something to do.

Two top150 recruits and a couple more intriguing ones. Remains to be seen but this sounds better than 6 "fired " players 4 of which apparently don't want to "work" at basketball anymore and two second stringers who do......one at a middle of the road frontier school and another at a weak D 1 school.

mthoopsfan said:
Mousegriz said:

You should save your "main point" for the long thread you babbled on last year........back when you were Player Rep. What happened to Player Rep anyway? Did Holsinger "fire" him too?

This thread is about 2022 recruiting and beyond....not whining about a better chance for a 2nd stringer at Western!

Mousegriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

You should save your "main point" for the long thread you babbled on last year........back when you were Player Rep. What happened to Player Rep anyway? Did Holsinger "fire" him too?

This thread is about 2022 recruiting and beyond....not whining about a better chance for a 2nd stringer at Western!

There seems to be an obsessive compulsion by a number of you in regard to PRs statements from last year. He stated facts and yet many of you have not shut up about it. It was very unusual that An incoming immediately released 6 players, and did so via zoom. Was it correct? That’s an opinion but the majority of the new players (except for the two already committed incoming freshmen) did not really perform well. Personally I think he should have at least evaluated in person and had the courage to speak face to face (and yes I realize COVID played into the Zoom calls).

The truth is PR has great info and brings topics to this board that have to do with Griz Sports, not like so many (especially on football side that spend more time trolling, or trying to be cute and funny). You may not like his delivery but clearly, based on the obsession, he will be missed by most - including his distractors who would have nothing to whine about. I have clashed on occasion with PR, and don’t agree with everything he says but he brought up valid points.

Let’s move on to the new season.

Mousegriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

You should stop going back to the new coach's hiring a year ago, and what occurred then, and stop bringing up former players. You and a few others seem to be unable to move forward. And you should stop misrepresenting what I said and say. I usually just respond to what you say. There was no babbling on my main point. I was correct that the new coach shouldn't have done that (he got virtually nothing in return, except perhaps for a former LG walking in the door) and that the firing of 6 players was unprecedented in college basketball. I have posted on Griz message boards for decades, and I have always changed my name at least every 30,000 posts.

ordigger said:
Mousegriz said:

There seems to be an obsessive compulsion by a number of you in regard to PRs statements from last year. He stated facts and yet many of you have not shut up about it. It was very unusual that An incoming immediately released 6 players, and did so via zoom. Was it correct? That’s an opinion but the majority of the new players (except for the two already committed incoming freshmen) did not really perform well. Personally I think he should have at least evaluated in person and had the courage to speak face to face (and yes I realize COVID played into the Zoom calls).

The truth is PR has great info and brings topics to this board that have to do with Griz Sports, not like so many (especially on football side that spend more time trolling, or trying to be cute and funny). You may not like his delivery but clearly, based on the obsession, he will be missed by most - including his distractors who would have nothing to whine about. I have clashed on occasion with PR, and don’t agree with everything he says but he brought up valid points.

Let’s move on to the new season.

Thx.

Ok, he dropped the scholarships of 6 players without watching them play - but, he had seen complete video of every game during the season and had the advice of Jordan Sullivan - who knew the 6 much better than Holsinger would have after a few scrimmages. I think it was the right thing to do - let those players know asap so they could move on with their lives - as it appears that they did. Wait and perhaps their opportunities would have evaporated. Plus, if he had waited, the criticism would be endless for "stringing them on."

717s7e said:
Ok, he dropped the scholarships of 6 players without watching them play - but, he had seen complete video of every game during the season and had the advice of Jordan Sullivan - who knew the 6 much better than Holsinger would have after a few scrimmages. I think it was the right thing to do - let those players know asap so they could move on with their lives - as it appears that they did. Wait and perhaps their opportunities would have evaporated. Plus, if he had waited, the criticism would be endless for "stringing them on."

Nope. The coach had hardly been in town. He was working on getting his staff in place, moving to Missoula, transitioning his family, finding a house, etc. I don't believe for a second that he looked at all the games, and in any event, he wouldn't have known who the lower level players were while watching tape and in the few minutes they played. Evaluation should have been made in practices, for at least the frosh. One of the Schweyen's had been hurt. I just don't believe he went back to prior seasons to see her. I don't believe for a second that he relied mainly on Jordan Sullivan. That would put her in a bad spot for then and the future. I also don't believe that Sullivan would have jettisoned eastern MT player Murphy, especially given how well she played this year. And, nope, no one would have complained about stringing anyone along, had they been relieved after the first season. That would be normal course of business.

At the time that Joelnell Momberg was a senior at Box Elder, the 'Super State' listing as presented by the Great Falls Tribune didn't have Momberg but 18th or 19th best of the senior class that year. Wasn't even invited to the Montana-Wyoming All-Star series of games that year; while most, if not all, Montana recruits had been or have been invited. I was quite surprised that she was even recruited to UofM to begin with. But I did think Murphy was a possibility, given a redshirt year, that is, to be a fairly decent player.

WyomingGrizFan said:
At the time that Joelnell Momberg was a senior at Box Elder, the 'Super State' listing as presented by the Great Falls Tribune didn't have Momberg but 18th or 19th best of the senior class that year. Wasn't even invited to the Montana-Wyoming All-Star series of games that year; while most, if not all, Montana recruits had been or have been invited. I was quite surprised that she was even recruited to UofM to begin with. But I did think Murphy was a possibility, given a redshirt year, that is, to be a fairly decent player.

She finished her high school career in Spokane. From her old Griz bio:

"Prep: A 2020 graduate of Mead High ... Attended Box Elder High as a freshman, sophomore and junior, Mead High in Spokane, Wash., as a senior ... Voted first-team All-Greater Spokane League as a senior ... Led Box Elder to Class C state titles as a sophomore and junior ... Named the MVP of the state tournament as a junior after averaging 20.7 points per game ... Voted all-state as a freshman, sophomore and junior ... Named to the Great Falls Tribune Super State team as a junior and the newspaper’s North-Central Montana Athlete of the Year for girls’ basketball."

We are somewhere around 30 pages of banter on this now on an event that is a year old. This is getting into my grandfather's Halibut fishing story territory. The claims only get more absurd and conflated as time moves on.

I'm not a gatekeeper of this site, not a moderator, but this is getting tired. We get it, people are bitter about Holsinger's actions. I have a few people you can meet that are still pissed about Engstrom, Wayne Hogan, changing of griz colors, and something Mike Montgomery did in 1985.

Grizfan-24 said:
We are somewhere around 30 pages of banter on this now on an event that is a year old. This is getting into my grandfather's Halibut fishing story territory. The claims only get more absurd and conflated as time moves on.

I'm not a gatekeeper of this site, not a moderator, but this is getting tired. We get it, people are bitter about Holsinger's actions. I have a few people you can meet that are still pissed about Engstrom, Wayne Hogan, changing of griz colors, and something Mike Montgomery did in 1985.

Yes. Time to get back to the immediate and pertinent questions:

-Is Stiles coming back?

-Is Fatkin getting a waiver from the NCAA?

-Beyond the incoming freshmen who we have known about for some time , are there additions/transfers to the 2022-23 LG roster?

Grizfan-24 said:

It seems to me that a current Griz coach and his ongoing recruits should be fair game for discussion. What is mostly driving the BS, are several people who keep bringing up Momberg. If anyone brings her up unfairly, I am going to provide the correct information and defend her. I am not aware of anyone, including myself who is "bitter" about the new coach's action. I have not brought up the initial actions of the new coach, since early last summer. It was always someone else who directly or indirectly said something about the actions, Momberg or me.

Note that the latest discussion was triggered by Wyo's stupid post. Mostly out of the blue. Saying that a player who moved out of state for her senior year, did not make MT all star teams is totally idiotic.

You may want to look at Oredigger's recent post. He pretty much said what I have been saying, just in a nicer less direct way. If you really want to get rid of the BS part of this discussion, you may want to direct criticism directly at the Wyo's, Mouse's and HHB's of the world. It's not that there's just one thread. Those types keep bringing up the subject in various threads.

P.S. Several questions for you, which I do expect or want you to answer. In all of your years of coaching or following basketball, are you aware of any situation in which a new college coach got rid of 6 scholarship players when he/she took the job, let alone doing that within a week or 10 days and without having seen them practice or even meeting them in some cases. The move was unprecedented, and unnecessary, in my view. Had the new coach had already lined up 6 good transfers or high school kids willing to come in and contribute, then I would have a different view. Do you think moving on Momberg is not going to impact recruiting NA women from MT? Do you think NA's didn't notice that? Do you think NA coaches, including Momberg's stepdad, didn't notice that? If I am ever asked by a NA family about the new coach, do you think I will put in a good word for him? Do you condone posters continuing to bring up, and sometimes trash, the former NA player, or even the other departed players?

mthoopsfan said:
Grizfan-24 said:

It seems to me that a current Griz coach and his ongoing recruits should be fair game for discussion. What is mostly driving the BS, are several people who keep bringing up Momberg. If anyone brings her up unfairly, I am going to provide the correct information and defend her. I am not aware of anyone, including myself who is "bitter" about the new coach's action. I have not brought up the initial actions of the new coach, since early last summer. It was always someone else who directly or indirectly said something about the actions, Momberg or me.

Note that the latest discussion was triggered by Wyo's stupid post. Mostly out of the blue. Saying that a player who moved out of state for her senior year, did not make MT all star teams is totally idiotic.

You may want to look at Oredigger's recent post. He pretty much said what I have been saying, just in a nicer less direct way. If you really want to get rid of the BS part of this discussion, you may want to direct criticism directly at the Wyo's, Mouse's and HHB's of the world. It's not that there's just one thread. Those types keep bringing up the subject in various threads.

P.S. Several questions for you, which I do expect or want you to answer. In all of your years of coaching or following basketball, are you aware of any situation in which a new college coach got rid of 6 scholarship players when he/she took the job, let alone doing that within a week or 10 days and without having seen them practice or even meeting them in some cases. The move was unprecedented, and unnecessary, in my view. Had the new coach had already lined up 6 good transfers or high school kids willing to come in and contribute, then I would have a different view. Do you think moving on Momberg is not going to impact recruiting NA women from MT? Do you think NA's didn't notice that? Do you think NA coaches, including Momberg's stepdad, didn't notice that? If I am ever asked by a NA family about the new coach, do you think I will put in a good word for him? Do you condone posters continuing to bring up, and sometimes trash, the former NA player, or even the other departed players?

PR, I think your personal relationships and feelings are making more out of this than it really is. Was the process questionable, maybe, but I don't have an issue with him cutting 6 players. Not sure why you continually fall back to the race card on this. At this point, I am over this entire argument, but it is apparent that PR will never be.

mthoopsfan said:
717s7e said:

Nope. The coach had hardly been in town. He was working on getting his staff in place, moving to Missoula, transitioning his family, finding a house, etc. I don't believe for a second that he looked at all the games, and in any event, he wouldn't have known who the lower level players were while watching tape and in the few minutes they played. Evaluation should have been made in practices, for at least the frosh. One of the Schweyen's had been hurt. I just don't believe he went back to prior seasons to see her. I don't believe for a second that he relied mainly on Jordan Sullivan. That would put her in a bad spot for then and the future. I also don't believe that Sullivan would have jettisoned eastern MT player Murphy, especially given how well she played this year. And, nope, no one would have complained about stringing anyone along, had they been relieved after the first season. That would be normal course of business.

I know you don't want to listen to BH's interviews, but he talked about that very topic shortly after arriving to MT.

maroonandsilver said:
Grizfan-24 said:

-Is Stiles coming back?

-Beyond the incoming freshmen who we have known about for some time , are there additions/transfers to the 2022-23 LG roster?

One thing we know is that they probably won't need transfers if Stiles and Fatkin come back. There's going to be some stiff competition for playing time next season.

maroonandsilver said:
Grizfan-24 said:

-Is Stiles coming back?

Fatkin is an interesting case study. In years past cases like hers rarely were approved by the NCAA because so much of the deference was paid to the institution and the iron clad nature of those eligibility rules. There was almost zero chance of her getting an extra year because she was completely out basketball. With the covid adjustments along with a greater level of flexibility in those rules, if the school and Fatkin wanted to pursue an extra year of eligibility, I'd say the chances are vastly improved than what they were even three years ago. My sense if they did pursue it, they felt there was a reasonable chance under the broad-based hardship classification that Fatkin might qualify.

My calculations there is maybe 1 or at most 2 scholarships remaining or could be potentially available. In some ways with Covid and extra years of eligibility your guess is as good as mine as to what the status is of half of the roster in regards to years left of eligibility. If they were to dabble in the portal for additional help, I'd be stunned if they had their eyes on Freshman/Sophomores considering 2/3rds of the roster will be that next year. They have a glut of guards and wings, but are a bit thin on posts at the current time and it would make sense they'd look for help in the portal for a big that could provide some minutes.

HelenaHandBasket said:
mthoopsfan said:

PR, I think your personal relationships and feelings are making more out of this than it really is. Was the process questionable, maybe, but I don't have an issue with him cutting 6 players. Not sure why you continually fall back to the race card on this. At this point, I am over this entire argument, but it is apparent that PR will never be.

Why do you keep bringing up Momberg, and now referring to the race card? I said nothing recently that remotely was falling back on the race card. If you think I did, then that indicates to me that you don't understand racial prejudice and that you are probably racist, or have racist tendencies. In my experience, people who respond by saying someone is using the race card, likely is racist or has racist tendencies or doesn't understand racism. Why can't you just drop it? You are the problem, not me.

If you want to educate yourself a bit, see below:

"There Is No Race Card To Play Because Race Is Intertwined Into Everything"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shereeatcheson/2021/01/05/there-is-no-race-card-to-play-because-race-is-intertwined-into-everything/?sh=5fe0e18a5cc7

"The ‘playing the race card’ accusation is just a way to silence us"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/16/playing-the-race-card-racism-black-experience

"Ten Lessons for Talking About Race, Racism, and Racial Justice"

"Know the Counter Narratives.
Some themes consistently emerge in conversations about race, particularly from those who do not want to talk about unequal opportunity or the existence of racism. While we all probably feel like we know these narratives inside out, it’s still important to examine them and particularly to watch how they evolve and change. The point in doing this is not to argue against each theme point by point, but to understand what stories are happening in people’s heads when we try to start a productive conversation. A few common themes include:

"Alleging discrimination is itself racist and divisive.

"Know the Counter Narratives.

Claiming discrimination is “playing the race card,” opportunistic, hypocritical demagoguery."

https://www.opportunityagenda.org/explore/resources-publications/lessons-talking-about-race-racism-and-racial-justice

"Why The “Race Card” Doesn’t Exist And How To Be A Better Ally"

https://www.thegoodtrade.com/features/how-to-be-a-better-ally

GrizBaba said:
mthoopsfan said:

I know you don't want to listen to BH's interviews, but he talked about that very topic shortly after arriving to MT.

How do you think the new coach did on evaluating Murphy, as well as the MT frosh she kept?

And I talked to several of the affected players and their families, as well as former Griz coaches. Also, to several former Griz players. I talked to to 3 then current players in person, less than 48 hours before the cuts were mades, 2 of whom got cut. When I asked what they thought of the new coach, they said they hadn't met him, as he hadn't been in town much. I know from selling my house during this time, that the new coach was working on finding a house and getting his family transitioned.

Grizfan-24 said:
maroonandsilver said:

-Is Stiles coming back?

Fatkin is an interesting case study. In years past cases like hers rarely were approved by the NCAA because so much of the deference was paid to the institution and the iron clad nature of those eligibility rules. There was almost zero chance of her getting an extra year because she was completely out basketball. With the covid adjustments along with a greater level of flexibility in those rules, if the school and Fatkin wanted to pursue an extra year of eligibility, I'd say the chances are vastly improved than what they were even three years ago. My sense if they did pursue it, they felt there was a reasonable chance under the broad-based hardship classification that Fatkin might qualify.

My calculations there is maybe 1 or at most 2 scholarships remaining or could be potentially available. In some ways with Covid and extra years of eligibility your guess is as good as mine as to what the status is of half of the roster in regards to years left of eligibility. If they were to dabble in the portal for additional help, I'd be stunned if they had their eyes on Freshman/Sophomores considering 2/3rds of the roster will be that next year. They have a glut of guards and wings, but are a bit thin on posts at the current time and it would make sense they'd look for help in the portal for a big that could provide some minutes.

Fatkin must have graduated from high school in 2017. Played the 17-18 season with AZ St. Transferred to UM, and got waiver to play right away, 18-19. Quit in Dec. 2019. Wasn't on team in spring 20, or 20-21. Played in 21-22.

I would ask why she would get a covid year, when she wasn't even on a team.

Great if she can. She's a terrific player and always was, in my view.

Back