• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Softball ‘22

Really good day for the ladies. 7-1 win vs Col St with Butterfield getting her 1st career win and 3 homers by the Griz. Game 2 seen a gutsy performance by Allie Brock battling back and holding on for the win in a 4-3 decision vs Nevada. Cami Sellers with two homers on the day and McGrath hitting her 26th career home run. Only 19 more to go to catch Delene😊. Go Griz!

Hmmm: I was planning on a brief summary but got carried away. Oh well, read it if you have time & interest.

So… the Montana Griz softball team beat Colorado State 7-1 and Nevada 4-3 on the second day of the North Texas Tracy Beard Invite today. They have a chance of finishing the tourney at 3-2 tomorrow with a second game vs. CSU.

Don’t want to bore you w/play-by-play details, so I’ll stick to general observations. First: This mix of vets and youth is playing as well as the Griz were at the end of the season last year. Cami Sellers deciding to play a final covid-legal extra year was a huge boost for this team, and today she was amazing on offense and defense. Brooklyn Weisgram appears fully healed from last season’s hampering injury and provides the Griz with a solid defensive anchor in right field and a third power hitter in the lineup with Sellers and Maygen McGrath. The trio blasted homers vs. the Rams in the Griz 7-1 drubbing of CSU.

But for the first time since Montana’s title-winning season, there’s promise of balance on defense, offense, and (crossed fingers) pitching. It’s still a bit early, but the combo of a significantly matured soph Allie Brock and frosh newcomer Dana Butterfield has me pretty jacked. So briefly, three areas:

Offense: Montana’s already showing balanced offense through the entire lineup. Today the power of Cami Sellers (two homers), Brooklyn Weisgram (one homer) and Maygen McGrath (1 homer) makes the Griz a threat through batters 1-5. That was enough to overpower CSU. But the mid-to bottom part of the lineup is showing very promising signs… and was actually responsible for Montana’s 4-3 win over Nevada. Frosh DP Presley Jantzi has outstanding bat control and got the hit that gave the Griz the lead vs. Nevada. Jaxie Klucewich is turning into a classic drag-slap hitter in the 9 slot (she always puts the ball in play). But I was most impressed with soph CF Julie Phelps in the 8 slot with 4 hits, 2 walks, 1 RBI and 1 run scored today. Plus, she’s fast on the bases.

Defense: One error today. Solid defense at every position on the field. In fact, outstanding D from the three outfielders in particular. Phelps is the fastest and covers the most territory and today made the final out of Montana’s 4-3 win vs. Nevada. But she had a running grab of a shallow pop vs CSU that was amazing. Weisgram in RF isn’t as fast but she had two incredible plays today. First, a running snag of a low 1-hop liner and a throw to Sellers at 1b to nail the runner who was assuming she had an easy single. Nope. Secondly, a diving catch of a slicing liner in foul territory that bounced out of her glove when she hit the ground. Looked like an out, but the umps called it a no-play. But the defensive play of the game was a combined catch and throw by right fielder Klucewich to catcher Riley Stockton for an out at home in the top of the 6th that could have given Nevada a 1-run lead. But it didn't. Jaxie’s throw was a perfect 1-hop laser. Riley’s catch was incredible because she was immediately leveled by the base-runner. Somehow, Riley held on to the ball, but left the game in obvious pain (she walked off).

Pitching: I’m going to be brief, because Montana’s two young pitchers may not yet have faced a true power hitting team (North Texas is close). Nonetheless, both are pitching with poise, location accuracy and full pitch command that’s as good as I’ve seen from any Montana 2-starter combo. It often takes Allie Brock a full first inning to settle in. Today, she gave up 2 runs in the first. From there, she was in control and – though she allowed 6 hits – scattered most of them. Three walks, 6 Ks. She’s at her best when the home plate ump gives her the back edge of the plate, which today was not being called. No prob; Allie adjusted. Freshman Dana Butterfield has impressed me most with her unshakable poise. Today the ump was giving NO corners & it took Dana an inning. From there, she was in command. She can intentionally throw three balls slightly off the corners and then quickly adjust & groove strikes to even up the count. She ain't afraid of getting down 0-3. Her control is precise. Amazing for a frosh. Dana is not a power pitcher; she needs umps calling the corners she paints. But I suspect she’ll just get better when she adjusts to the college game. Today vs CSU: 1 run on 4 hits allowed, 1 walk and 3 Ks on 72 total pitches (compared to 118 by CSU pitchers). Very promising. Go GrizSB.
https://gogriz.com/news/2022/2/19/softball-griz-down-pair-of-mountain-west-opponents.aspx
https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizSB/status/1495189942372167681

grizzlyjournal said:
Hmmm: I was planning on a brief summary but got carried away. Oh well, read it if you have time & interest.

So… the Montana Griz softball team beat Colorado State 7-1 and Nevada 4-3 on the second day of the North Texas Tracy Beard Invite today. They have a chance of finishing the tourney at 3-2 tomorrow with a second game vs. CSU.

Don’t want to bore you w/play-by-play details, so I’ll stick to general observations. First: This mix of vets and youth is playing as well as the Griz were at the end of the season last year. Cami Sellers deciding to play a final covid-legal extra year was a huge boost for this team, and today she was amazing on offense and defense. Brooklyn Weisgram appears fully healed from last season’s hampering injury and provides the Griz with a solid defensive anchor in right field and a third power hitter in the lineup with Sellers and Maygen McGrath. The trio blasted homers vs. the Rams in the Griz 7-1 drubbing of CSU.

But for the first time since Montana’s title-winning season, there’s promise of balance on defense, offense, and (crossed fingers) pitching. It’s still a bit early, but the combo of a significantly matured soph Allie Brock and frosh newcomer Dana Butterfield has me pretty jacked. So briefly, three areas:

Offense: Montana’s already showing balanced offense through the entire lineup. Today the power of Cami Sellers (two homers), Brooklyn Weisgram (one homer) and Maygen McGrath (1 homer) makes the Griz a threat through batters 1-5. That was enough to overpower CSU. But the mid-to bottom part of the lineup is showing very promising signs… and was actually responsible for Montana’s 4-3 win over Nevada. Frosh DP Presley Jantzi has outstanding bat control and got the hit that gave the Griz the lead vs. Nevada. Jaxie Klucewich is turning into a classic drag-slap hitter in the 9 slot (she always puts the ball in play). But I was most impressed with soph CF Julie Phelps in the 8 slot with 4 hits, 2 walks, 1 RBI and 1 run scored today. Plus, she’s fast on the bases.

Defense: One error today. Solid defense at every position on the field. In fact, outstanding D from the three outfielders in particular. Phelps is the fastest and covers the most territory and today made the final out of Montana’s 4-3 win vs. Nevada. But she had a running grab of a shallow pop vs CSU that was amazing. Weisgram in RF isn’t as fast but she had two incredible plays today. First, a running snag of a low 1-hop liner and a throw to Sellers at 1b to nail the runner who was assuming she had an easy single. Nope. Secondly, a diving catch of a slicing liner in foul territory that bounced out of her glove when she hit the ground. Looked like an out, but the umps called it a no-play. But the defensive play of the game was a combined catch and throw by right fielder Klucewich to catcher Riley Stockton for an out at home in the top of the 6th that could have given Nevada a 1-run lead. But it didn't. Jaxie’s throw was a perfect 1-hop laser. Riley’s catch was incredible because she was immediately leveled by the base-runner. Somehow, Riley held on to the ball, but left the game in obvious pain (she walked off).

Pitching: I’m going to be brief, because Montana’s two young pitchers may not yet have faced a true power hitting team (North Texas is close). Nonetheless, both are pitching with poise, location accuracy and full pitch command that’s as good as I’ve seen from any Montana 2-starter combo. It often takes Allie Brock a full first inning to settle in. Today, she gave up 2 runs in the first. From there, she was in control and – though she allowed 6 hits – scattered most of them. Three walks, 6 Ks. She’s at her best when the home plate ump gives her the back edge of the plate, which today was not being called. No prob; Allie adjusted. Freshman Dana Butterfield has impressed me most with her unshakable poise. Today the ump was giving NO corners & it took Dana an inning. From there, she was in command. She can intentionally throw three balls slightly off the corners and then quickly adjust & groove strikes to even up the count. She ain't afraid of getting down 0-3. Her control is precise. Amazing for a frosh. Dana is not a power pitcher; she needs umps calling the corners she paints. But I suspect she’ll just get better when she adjusts to the college game. Today vs CSU: 1 run on 4 hits allowed, 1 walk and 3 Ks on 72 total pitches (compared to 118 by CSU pitchers). Very promising. Go GrizSB.
https://gogriz.com/news/2022/2/19/softball-griz-down-pair-of-mountain-west-opponents.aspx
https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizSB/status/1495189942372167681

Good summary of the games and a great synopsis of the three main facets of the team GJ. I’m fully on board with your observations and I’m getting really excited for this team to face conference foes. Defensively we’ve always been a great team except for one year where I think we finished 6th in the con. The pitching and the hitting have definitely had great seasons but not very often have they come together like it looks like they may be doing this year. Getting really excited, Go Griz!

Montana’s 8-3 loss to Colorado State in the final game of the Tracy Beard Classic doesn’t look, on paper, like a close, tense game. But it was. The Rams held a slim 3-2 lead until the top of the 6th when a Griz error and two additional defensive miscues eventually resulted in 5 runs.

That was a bit of an irony, because Montana played one of the best all-around team-defensive games I’ve seen from them over the last 3 seasons. That’s good because – as well as young pitchers Allie Brock and Dana Butterfield have pitched so far this season – they are NOT power pitchers. Opposing teams will put the ball in play and Montana’s D will have to be solid every game.

My final impression, having watched all 5 of Montana’s games at the classic, is very optimistic. The Griz came within a couple of inches of winning three games instead of two. The defense was great throughout. The offense is showing very promising signs.

I have attached a couple of plays from the Griz-CSU final game. Simply put: stellar D for the most part, with Kylie Becker at 3rd, McKenna Tjaden at catcher and Kendall Curtis at 2nd making the highlight plays. Go Griz.

https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizSB/status/1495437948006793220
https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizSB/status/1495448383376347136

GrizSB lose their first game of the U Hawaii Invitational 7-5 Thursday night. Here's the highlight of the game for the Griz... a bases loaded grand slam in the top of the 3rd that tied it at 5-5.

https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizSB/status/1497072471685562370

Griz win the first game of the weekend tourney 5-3 over San Jose State. Butterfield goes the distance on the mound. McGrath gets a tie-breaking and game winning homer.

maroonandsilver said:
Griz win the first game of the weekend tourney 5-3 over San Jose State. Butterfield goes the distance on the mound. McGrath gets a tie-breaking and game winning homer.

Heartbreaker in game 2.

Don't want to belabor Montana's 5-4 loss to Grand Canyon University, but three recorded errors by GrizSB third baseman Kylie Becker lead to every single GCU run (1 in the 6th and four in the 7th). The winning run was scored after a routine grounder to Becker went between her legs into lf without her even touching the ball, allowing the runner to reach 2b. The game winning hit was legit.

The player I feel most sorry for is pitcher Allie Brock, who was credited with allowing one earned run only because the final grounder wasn't touched by a glove. Otherwise she threw what essentially was a shutout. So... very encouraged by Brock's pitching outing.

Don't know what to say about the usually solid Becker, but I'm thinking coach Meuchel should give her a game off. Yikes.

The loss overshadowed an otherwise outstanding game by Montana's defense elsewhere, a clutch rbi by Cami Sellers, and a 3-run homer by Maygen McGrath.

https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizSB/status/1499932653314736128

grizzlyjournal said:
Don't want to belabor Montana's 5-4 loss to Grand Canyon University, but three recorded errors by GrizSB third baseman Kylie Becker lead to every single GCU run (1 in the 6th and four in the 7th). The winning run was scored after a routine grounder to Becker went between her legs into lf without her even touching the ball, allowing the runner to reach 2b. The game winning hit was legit.

The player I feel most sorry for is pitcher Allie Brock, who was credited with allowing one earned run only because the final grounder wasn't touched by a glove. Otherwise she threw what essentially was a shutout. So... very encouraged by Brock's pitching outing.

Don't know what to say about the usually solid Becker, but I'm thinking coach Meuchel should give her a game off. Yikes.

The loss overshadowed an otherwise outstanding game by Montana's defense elsewhere, a clutch rbi by Cami Sellers, and a 3-run homer by Maygen McGrath.

I got an answer for my question (highlighted) re: Kylie Becker above. This morning Becker played 8 innings of errorless defense in Montana's walkoff 2-1 win over San Jose State. Cool. Griz with their 3rd win of the season over the Spartans. Go Griz.

grizzlyjournal said:
grizzlyjournal said:

I got an answer for my question (highlighted) re: Kylie Becker above. This morning Becker played 8 innings of errorless defense in Montana's walkoff 2-1 win over San Jose State. Cool. Griz with their 3rd win of the season over the Spartans. Go Griz.

Ya, Becker is usually one of the best defensive players on the team. When she was recruited, coach talked about how much baseball she played along with softball growing up and how that helped her excel on the defense. That being said, everyone has a bad day every once in a while and sometimes the best have a REALLY bad day.

alabamagrizzly said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Ya, Becker is usually one of the best defensive players on the team. When she was recruited, coach talked about how much baseball she played along with softball growing up and how that helped her excel on the defense. That being said, everyone has a bad day every once in a while and sometimes the best have a REALLY bad day.

Becker had the big hit (double) in this morning's 3-1 win over Binghamton.

Latest posts

Back