• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Tournament this Week

Griz hung in there, led the entire game. Kept waiting for them to fade, but they never did. Every time SD made a run, Griz matched it. Lot of it was good Griz D.

Beasley led with 19 points while Bannan had 16. Parker controlled the tempo much of the game with 8 assists, while Blakney showed how he could be a valuable asset with 8 pts and 3 boards. Martin also contributed with 8 pts, and DCH had 7 and 3 boards, but fouled out.

Owens didn't play for some reason.

grizonbob said:
Griz hung in there, led the entire game. Kept waiting for them to fade, but they never did. Every time SD made a run, Griz matched it. Lot of it was good Griz D.

Beasley led with 19 points while Bannan had 16. Parker controlled the tempo much of the game with 8 assists, while Blakney showed how he could be a valuable asset with 8 pts and 3 boards. Martin also contributed with 8 pts, and DCH had 7 and 3 boards, but fouled out.

Owens didn't play for some reason.

I was at the game and agree with your take, grizonbob. I would add: Blakney and Martin gave a hint that they're going to really solidify the Griz and both will broaden Montana's offensive attack. When Martin finally made a trey, you could almost see his relief at the "breakthrough." The players who made the biggest second half impact were Bannan and Beasley... on defense. Each had three critical steals which kept Montana in control.This team is really improving on defense as well.

They had a couple players stand out to me (although I can't remember #'s) that if they touched the ball at the 3 point line they would take it to the rim...
can we get some of those guys ?

fanofzoo said:
They had a couple players stand out to me (although I can't remember #'s) that if they touched the ball at the 3 point line they would take it to the rim...

I had a nice conversation with Earl Edwards, the UCSD Director of Athletics, after last night's game. He expressed to me genuine excitement and appreciation about UCSD's participation in the ZooTown Classic & mentioned that Montana was almost like a foreign land to most of group that traveled with the team (I need to be careful here: This is a rough summary, not "quote-accurate," because I visited with several parents as well). With a student population for this fall of OVER 50 thousand students https://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/pressrelease/uc-san-diego-admits-record-52946-first-year-and-transfer-students (and that ain't the only university based in or on the outskisrts of San Diego), the San Diego urban culture is... well, almost like a foreign land to a lifelong Montanan like me. Take a look at the school's facilities, and the number of sports it offers students (a full olympic spectrum). https://ucsdtritons.com/facilities If I were 17 and looking for an urban college climate, UCSD would probably be pretty compelling.

I know I'm not really answering your question, fanofzoo, and I know that Montana regularly recruits a decent % of kids from urban areas, but the truth is, as beautiful as Missoula, western Montana and our campus of 10 thousand is... recruiting the diversity (diverse in many ways) of students to UM is probably an uphill hike (which, yeah... we're used to). It's also why Montana will probably never (let's face it) belong to a major D1 conference, despite the fact that the % of Montana fans per capita is likely higher than the % of fans in most urban area schools. I had a blast at the game last night. Two very well coached, defensively intense teams duking it out oncourt. Different styles, granted. But that's what makes college hoops so much more fun for me to watch. I've caught a few NBA early season games on stream so far this year and, well... much prefer watching Montana's small college version of almost any sport because I identify with the kids who decided to come to Zootown to go to school here.

Good win over a very good team. Despite the repetitious concern on here, I think our inside game looked solid last night, particularly on D. I also believe we do have an elite yet young post in Bannon. DJ seems back too, which is huge (got screwed by the refs last night). Blakney is very solid. Hopefully Owens is in the mix and was out yesterday for one game (?). Anderson is improved. And we have kids who can play the wing.

The D looked good for this early in the season. Lots of intensity. Guards are very young with potential. Deep. But I'll repeat, young. If this team stays together, we will be elite in two years. Finally, I enjoy the fact we value points-per-possession since analytics (data and facts) show a direct correlation between PPP and wins.

astutegriz said:
Good win over a very good team. Despite the repetitious concern on here, I think our inside game looked solid last night, particularly on D. I also believe we do have an elite yet young post in Bannon. DJ seems back too, which is huge (got screwed by the refs last night). Blakney is very solid. Hopefully Owens is in the mix and was out yesterday for one game (?). Anderson is improved. And we have kids who can play the wing.

The D looked good for this early in the season. Lots of intensity. Guards are very young with potential. Deep. But I'll repeat, young. If this team stays together, we will be elite in two years. Finally, I enjoy the fact we value points-per-possession since analytics (data and facts) show a direct correlation between PPP and wins.

:clap: :thumb: You astutely hit every point! I agree. This team has a very high ceiling and is a blast to watch as they get better, game by game. Go Griz.

UNCW withdrew from the tournament with a flu outbreak. That’s too bad! This probably would’ve been the easiest of the 3 games for us, plus it’s good to have practice playing 3 days in a row for the conference tournament. Bummer!

grizzlyjournal said:
fanofzoo said:

I had a nice conversation with Earl Edwards, the UCSD Director of Athletics, after last night's game. He expressed to me genuine excitement and appreciation about UCSD's participation in the ZooTown Classic & mentioned that Montana was almost like a foreign land to most of group that traveled with the team (I need to be careful here: This is a rough summary, not "quote-accurate," because I visited with several parents as well). With a student population for this fall of OVER 50 thousand students https://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/pressrelease/uc-san-diego-admits-record-52946-first-year-and-transfer-students (and that ain't the only university based in or on the outskisrts of San Diego), the San Diego urban culture is... well, almost like a foreign land to a lifelong Montanan like me. Take a look at the school's facilities, and the number of sports it offers students (a full olympic spectrum). https://ucsdtritons.com/facilities If I were 17 and looking for an urban college climate, UCSD would probably be pretty compelling.

I know I'm not really answering your question, fanofzoo, and I know that Montana regularly recruits a decent % of kids from urban areas, but the truth is, as beautiful as Missoula, western Montana and our campus of 10 thousand is... recruiting the diversity (diverse in many ways) of students to UM is probably an uphill hike (which, yeah... we're used to). It's also why Montana will probably never (let's face it) belong to a major D1 conference, despite the fact that the % of Montana fans per capita is likely higher than the % of fans in most urban area schools. I had a blast at the game last night. Two very well coached, defensively intense teams duking it out oncourt. Different styles, granted. But that's what makes college hoops so much more fun for me to watch. I've caught a few NBA early season games on stream so far this year and, well... much prefer watching Montana's small college version of almost any sport because I identify with the kids who decided to come to Zootown to go to school here.

For the first 130 years of its existence, the Mormon Church flat-out discriminated against black people. Not only could black men not be ordained as priests, blacks were not permitted to stay at the Hotel Utah, the ritzy Salt Lake City hotel owned by the Mormon Church. Not even the great singer Marian Anderson, or the one-time center-fielder for the Milwaukee Braves, Billy Bruton, were permitted to stay there. I can attest to this personally because back when I was a little kid, living in Salt Lake, they stayed with us, in our home, and were gracious enough to sign our guest book with great appreciation. Nor was this discrimination personal. it was ingrained in the Mormon theology because in the way-back day, the evil Cain, listening to Satan, had killed the righteous Abel. No way a Marian Anderson or Billy Burton was going to overcome that!

But then, back in the late 70's, BYU began to establish itself as a national football power. Marc Wilson was their quarterback, throwing passes all over the field, to fit the wide-open passing offense of their legendary coach, Lavell Edwards (for whom their stadium is named.) In 1977, BYU went 9-2, and their punter was...Jim McMahon, the backup to Wilson, who would then go on to his own stellar career, both as a collegian and professional, winding up the College Hall of Fame.

A decade earlier, in 1969, 14 black athletes from Wyoming protested playing BYU because of their attitudes toward blacks. There followed a trickle of black athletes to BYU, but by the late 70's, with their football team doing so well, the Elders of the Mormon Church had a Revelation: If we're to be good, we need black athletes! Especially at the skill positions, cornerback and wide receiver! An lo! The discrimination ended! In 1978, the Church announced that black men were no longer barred from being ordained as priests!

You think football had anything to do with that decision? I certainly do.

But even before that, five black players from UTEP, winning an NCAA championship in 1966 against the all-white Kentucky, coached by the notorious racist, Adolph Rupp, had begun to establish a fundamental truth about sports in America: If you wanted to be good, you had to have black athletes. That is the atomic, and sub-atomic and galactic truth about sport in America today. No matter if you're in Missoula, Montana or Cheney, Washington or Iowa City, Iowa or Flagstaff, Arizona or Stillwater, Oklahoma or Lexington, Kentucky, this truth is Universal. And no matter who you are or where you are, if you want to run a winning program among the money-sports, you have to abide by it.

In 1978, the Church announced that black men were no longer barred from being ordained as priests!

Citay
I defer to you on this but I thought that the President was going to be hauled in court for discrimination and the day before he had a revelation...good timing yes but god works in mysterious ways.

fanofzoo said:
In 1978, the Church announced that black men were no longer barred from being ordained as priests!

Citay
I defer to you on this but I thought that the President was going to be hauled in court for discrimination and the day before he had a revelation...good timing yes but god works in mysterious ways.

Zoo, you may well be right. Pressure was coming from many directions.

But less mysterious: Football WAS becoming God at BYU.

citay said:
grizzlyjournal said:

For the first 130 years of its existence, the Mormon Church flat-out discriminated against black people. Not only could black men not be ordained as priests, blacks were not permitted to stay at the Hotel Utah, the ritzy Salt Lake City hotel owned by the Mormon Church. Not even the great singer Marian Anderson, or the one-time center-fielder for the Milwaukee Braves, Billy Bruton, were permitted to stay there. I can attest to this personally because back when I was a little kid, living in Salt Lake, they stayed with us, in our home, and were gracious enough to sign our guest book with great appreciation. Nor was this discrimination personal. it was ingrained in the Mormon theology because in the way-back day, the evil Cain, listening to Satan, had killed the righteous Abel. No way a Marian Anderson or Billy Burton was going to overcome that!

But then, back in the late 70's, BYU began to establish itself as a national football power. Marc Wilson was their quarterback, throwing passes all over the field, to fit the wide-open passing offense of their legendary coach, Lavell Edwards (for whom their stadium is named.) In 1977, BYU went 9-2, and their punter was...Jim McMahon, the backup to Wilson, who would then go on to his own stellar career, both as a collegian and professional, winding up the College Hall of Fame.

A decade earlier, in 1969, 14 black athletes from Wyoming protested playing BYU because of their attitudes toward blacks. There followed a trickle of black athletes to BYU, but by the late 70's, with their football team doing so well, the Elders of the Mormon Church had a Revelation: If we're to be good, we need black athletes! Especially at the skill positions, cornerback and wide receiver! An lo! The discrimination ended! In 1978, the Church announced that black men were no longer barred from being ordained as priests!

But even before that, five black players from UTEP, winning an NCAA championship in 1966 against the all-white Kentucky, coached by the notorious racist, Adolph Rupp, had begun to establish a fundamental truth about sports in America: If you wanted to be good, you had to have black athletes. That is the atomic, and sub-atomic and galactic truth about sport in America today. No matter if you're in Missoula, Montana or Cheney, Washington or Iowa City, Iowa or Flagstaff, Arizona or Stillwater, Oklahoma or Lexington, Kentucky, this truth is Universal. And no matter who you are or where you are, if you want to run a winning program among the money-sports, you have to abide by it.

Babble on!

Mousegriz said:
citay said:

Babble on!

Babylon?

Back