• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

STATS FCS Rankings (Oct 11) -- Griz #5

grizpsych said:
fanofzoo said:
I can not see us as the 5th best team in the FCS.

I watched SIU at SEMO this year. If they are number 4 than we are definitely number 5.

:lol: :lol: Agreed. Not looking our best but that doesn’t mean we aren’t #5.

grizfan95 said:
This reminds me so much of the teams from Hauck's first tenure.

Let's just say I'd rather be winning and hearing people say we aren't as good as our ranking says than losing and hearing posters arguing how we are better than our ranking shows.

I was thinking the same thing at halftime of the Dixie State game. I'll take the ugly win :thumb:

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Paytonlives said:
Surprised Southern. Ill jumped the Griz

Yes good win vs S Dak State.
But went to OT (Won by 1) vs Western Ill, a team UM beat by 30+ & EWU put 62 on.

UM hasn’t looked the same since western Illinois IMO. Three bad offensive performances in row. The only thing keeping this team alive is the outstanding defense, and we can’t rely on them to do it all this weekend. They are also down a bunch of starters and ostensibly still will be this Saturday? So the offense will absolutely have to pick it up. I think the best performance the team has had was honestly that western Illinois game.
Actually, the pass defense hasn't been good since WIU. I think we really, really miss Robertson.

kemajic said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
UM hasn’t looked the same since western Illinois IMO. Three bad offensive performances in row. The only thing keeping this team alive is the outstanding defense, and we can’t rely on them to do it all this weekend. They are also down a bunch of starters and ostensibly still will be this Saturday? So the offense will absolutely have to pick it up. I think the best performance the team has had was honestly that western Illinois game.
Actually, the pass defense hasn't been good since WIU. I think we really, really miss Robertson.

Agreed

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
kemajic said:

Agreed

When is he supposed to come back.

Also no way is EWU #2. And if they are we can surely win the whole damn thing. That team defense is not impressive at all.

kemajic said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Truth.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

When is he supposed to come back.

Also no way is EWU #2. And if they are we can surely win the whole damn thing. That team defense is not impressive at all.

I agree with ya on everything above. Unfortunately, our offense is not impressive at all.

goatcreekgriz said:
kemajic said:

Truth.

I'm not trying to be a dick here (save the - don't worry buddy, you don't need to try :lol: comments) but did you lose multiple other players out of your secondary? I remember Bobby saying, and a bunch of you echoing how good and deep you were in the secondary. In fact I'm pretty sure I could dig up threads where posters were saying this is the most talented and deepest secondary they could remember. Seems weirs to lose one player and take a nose dive.

poorgriz said:
goatcreekgriz said:

I'm not trying to be a dick here (save the - don't worry buddy, you don't need to try :lol: comments) but did you lose multiple other players out of your secondary? I remember Bobby saying, and a bunch of you echoing how good and deep you were in the secondary. In fact I'm pretty sure I could dig up threads where posters were saying this is the most talented and deepest secondary they could remember. Seems weirs to lose one player and take a nose dive.

This weekend will be a good test. I think Sac State is a good team with a good coach. Seems like Fouch has also been working his way back into the lineup? Graves is learning to be a starter. He'll be a good one. Of course everyone wants to see Robertson return, he is an all-conference caliber player and he likes to intercept the ball , which can swing games. It's hard to say who will start this week and how the rotation will go. At cornerback, I'd actually like to see Autjoe Soe get a few more reps. He has really impressed me as a freshmen, I think he'll be our next great corner. It's a pivotal game in the season. Probably a good time to start building some momentum before the playoffs. Our defense has played solid, imo. They don't give up many points. I want to see the offense blow up a little this weekend. The biggest thing I this team is missing is a power back to combine with X. Childs is a stud if he can stay healthy and keep improving but we need an Otsmo or Knight type to break it up. Childs came in one play, ran for 11 yards and tweaked his ankle last game. We can't have Xavier be our Emmitt Smith or we're screwed. We'll see.

poorgriz said:
goatcreekgriz said:

Graves might eventually become a really good safety for us, but there's a pretty big dropoff between him and Robertson in pass coverage, especially.

If you've watched the games (dunno why anyone would assume you have, but whatever) you'd notice one of the things that's hurting our defense the most is horizontal routes across the middle and out, which Robertson is (or at least was) exceptional at covering. He also didn't tend to be fooled as easily, and breaking up even just a few critical plays in a game can be the difference between getting off the field quickly and giving up 150 yards passing vs. 400 yards passing.

He's also better at closing on the RB in the open field than Graves is, which means instead of 2-3 yard runs, we've at times given up 4-6 yard runs, which ,again, you wouldn't think is a huge deal, but over the course of the game, these add up significantly.

Good thing there are people on this forum that can teach you how football works. :lol:

uofmman1122 said:
poorgriz said:
Graves might eventually become a really good safety for us, but there's a pretty big dropoff between him and Robertson in pass coverage, especially.

If you've watched the games (dunno why anyone would assume you have, but whatever) you'd notice one of the things that's hurting our defense the most is horizontal routes across the middle and out, which Robertson is (or at least was) exceptional at covering. He also didn't tend to be fooled as easily, and breaking up even just a few critical plays in a game can be the difference between getting off the field quickly and giving up 150 yards passing vs. 400 yards passing.

He's also better at closing on the RB in the open field than Graves is, which means instead of 2-3 yard runs, we've at times given up 4-6 yard runs, which ,again, you wouldn't think is a huge deal, but over the course of the game, these add up significantly.

Good thing there are people on this forum that can teach you how football works. :lol:

Ha! I've watched replays of all the griz games this year, and most of the other Big Sky games. I'm not expert but I do know a few things about secondary play. My comment was just to call out the posters that kept saying how this was the best and deepest secondary of all time and how there was so much depth behind the starters there would be no drop off. Then you lose one player and.....

poorgriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

Ha! I've watched replays of all the griz games this year, and most of the other Big Sky games. I'm not expert but I do know a few things about secondary play. My comment was just to call out the posters that kept saying how this was the best and deepest secondary of all time and how there was so much depth behind the starters there would be no drop off. Then you lose one player and.....
So you knew the answer and asked the question anyway?

Anyway, you of all people shouldn't giving anyone any flack for saying stupid shit on this website. :lol:

poorgriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

Except we were down 5 starters on defense, had our 3rd and 4th string playing DE, along with a bunch of other back ups rotating in. It was like watching a while new Griz team. All of those changes up front play a huge role on the back end. In case you didn’t know that already.

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:

Except we were down 5 starters on defense, had our 3rd and 4th string playing DE, along with a bunch of other back ups rotating in. It was like watching a while new Griz team. All of those changes up front play a huge role on the back end. In case you didn’t know that already.

Which 5 starters? Who are the 3rd and 4th string DE's that are playing? Have seen this mentioned but no names. Robertson has been out......which other 4 starters?

Mousegriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Which 5 starters? Who are the 3rd and 4th string DE's that are playing? Have seen this mentioned but no names. Robertson has been out......which other 4 starters?
Suspect some hyperbole. Da"Ya think....

kemajic said:
Mousegriz said:

Which is fine but doesn't make a lot of sense in this context right? A poster asked why a unit with so much depth is struggling with the loss of one player. To which another poster said it wasn't one player, but rather 5 starters on defense and 3rd and 4th stringers playing DE. At which point another poster asked who the 5 starters were who were out. At which point you said it was hyperbole. At which point I chimed in. ;)

Mousegriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

The Griz were::

- without starting DE Babros (have been for a few weeks now)
- without starting DE Todd (who replaced Babros)
- without starting safety Robertson (few weeks now)
- saw limited snaps for O’Connell at LB (janacaro and Matthew’s saw lots of time)
- saw limited snaps by Fouch (Cotton was in more than ever)
- Hell, we started freshman Henry Nuce at DE and started junior RJ Nelson opposite of him at DE (when I saw that I was like holy shit we must really be hurting)
- we even saw 3rd string safety Koppang play a bit

Our defense was hurting big time.

ilovethecats said:
kemajic said:

Which is fine but doesn't make a lot of sense in this context right? A poster asked why a unit with so much depth is struggling with the loss of one player. To which another poster said it wasn't one player, but rather 5 starters on defense and 3rd and 4th stringers playing DE. At which point another poster asked who the 5 starters were who were out. At which point you said it was hyperbole. At which point I chimed in. ;)

Bobby has threatened any fan who names a player that misses a game......even a few days after the game...... will be banned from Griz games for life. Sac State coaches may not even know Robertson and the other 4 not-to-be-named defensive starters that were out last week (or was it the week before?) were out last week (or was it the week before?).

This "we don't talk about injuries" tactic has worked for years. No one talks about them. No names mentioned. No important players get hurt. Next year's the year!

Mousegriz said:
ilovethecats said:

Bobby has threatened any fan who names a player that misses a game......even a few days after the game...... will be banned from Griz games for life. Sac State coaches may not even know Robertson and the other 4 not-to-be-named defensive starters that were out last week (or was it the week before?) were out last week (or was it the week before?).

This "we don't talk about injuries" tactic has worked for years. No one talks about them. No names mentioned. No important players get hurt. Next year's the year!

Did you miss my answer two posts above this? Sheesus.

Back