• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

STATS FCS Rankings (Oct 11) -- Griz #5

IdaGriz01

The poll has not yet been posted in a convenient form, but Haley has it up with his usual "article" format.
https://theanalyst.com/na/2021/10/mvfc-has-seven-teams-in-fcs-top-25-rankings/

The pollsters hammered #2 and #3 a lot more than I expected.

Haley's write-up and the list posted on the NCAA site have the previous ranks (in [brackets]) for several teams wrong. After double-checking against last week's list, I've now fixed them. (I found fifteen that didn't match up ... not a big deal but somewhat confusing.)

1. Sam Houston (5-0), 1,229 points (39 first-place votes) [1]
2. Eastern Washington (6-0), 1,186 (9) [4]
3. North Dakota State (5-0), 1,174 (2)    [5]
4. Southern Illinois (5-1), 1,081 [8]
5. Montana (4-1), 996 [6]
6. Villanova (4-1), 977 [11]
7. South Dakota State (4-1), 972 [2]
8. James Madison (4-1), 906 [3]
9. Montana State (5-1), 881 [10]
10. ETSU (6-0), 796 [12]
11. Southeastern Louisiana (4-1), 741 [14]
12. Rhode Island (5-0), 694 [18]
13. UC Davis (5-1), 564    [7]
14. Delaware (3-2), 559 [9]
15. Kennesaw State (4-1), 543   [17]
16. Northern Iowa (3-2), 410  [16]
17. UT Martin (4-1), 409   [21]
18. UIW (4-1), 344 [20]
19. Weber State (2-3), 330 [19]
20. Missouri State (3-2), 285   [15]
21. South Dakota (4-2), 229 [NR]
22. North Dakota (2-3), 216 [13]
23. New Hampshire (3-2), 124 [22]
24. Jacksonville State (3-3), 122   [24]
25. Princeton (4-0), 88 [NR]

Others Receiving Votes: Mercer 78, Jackson State 63, VMI 60, Duquesne 48, Harvard 36, William & Mary 28, Central Arkansas 21, Youngstown State 20, Stephen F. Austin 11, Nicholls 10, Eastern Kentucky 9, Prairie View A&M 8

Dropped Out: Stephen F. Austin (23), Nicholls (25)

maybe this poll more accurate ?
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-rankings-top-25-power-poll-following-week-6-2021

This reminds me so much of the teams from Hauck's first tenure.

Let's just say I'd rather be winning and hearing people say we aren't as good as our ranking says than losing and hearing posters arguing how we are better than our ranking shows.

The less said about my poll guesses, the better. Not that they were all terrible, but there were (as expected) several surprises. My biggest surprise, as I said above, was how far down the pollsters dropped SDSU and JMU. They gave absolutely no credit for the fact that both lost by just one point, including an overtime.

Of course, that opened more high spots for the Griz to move up. However, as I and some others predicted might happen, the pollsters did reward Southern Illinois by moving them just ahead of the Griz

On the other hand, the pollsters crushed North Dakota, dropping them nine spots … way more than I expected. At least I got it right that they moved South Dakota in just ahead of them.

As expected, SFA and Nicholls did drop out of the top-25. But the pollsters other placement was Princeton rather than VMI … even though VMI won and had received more votes in the previous poll. I suppose Princeton’s undefeated record caught their attention.

dupuyer griz said:
yellowstone60 said:
maybe this poll more accurate ?
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-rankings-top-25-power-poll-following-week-6-2021

No

Yes - at this time.

At this point in the season it doesn't really matter. Just win, get healthy and keep improving. The poll that matters is the one at the end of the season and there's a lot of season left. Get ready for Sac - that'll be a good test to see where we are right now.

Go Griz!

grizeyes said:
dupuyer griz said:

Yes - at this time.

At this point in the season it doesn't really matter. Just win, get healthy and keep improving. The poll that matters is the one at the end of the season and there's a lot of season left. Get ready for Sac - that'll be a good test to see where we are right now.

Go Griz!

I agree.....

grizfan95 said:
This reminds me so much of the teams from Hauck's first tenure.

Let's just say I'd rather be winning and hearing people say we aren't as good as our ranking says than losing and hearing posters arguing how we are better than our ranking shows.

You are exactly right.

fltheadgriz said:
I am shocked that they didn't hammer UC Davis more than they did since UCS lost to an unranked team.
It is startling, considering what the pollsters did to North Dakota. UND lost to an unranked, but pretty good USD team and dropped nine spots. UC Davis lost to a team that hadn't won a game to that point, and dropped just six spots. Go figure.

Montana needs to get healthy this week and focus heavily on the offense, or we will be mourning a loss to a mediocre sac state team. Ranking is meaningless at this point. They have to earn it every week. Last week they did not look like a top 25 offense. That’s just a fact. Our defense needs to get some help from the offense at some point this season if they hope to be in the national discussion at the end of the season. I hope that they turn a corner this week.

Surprised Southern. Ill jumped the Griz

Yes good win vs S Dak State.
But went to OT (Won by 1) vs Western Ill, a team UM beat by 30+ & EWU put 62 on.

Question.... I was listening to one of my favorite sports shows, and one of the people said that he ranks teams on just how they did that week. He said one week he will have a team in the top 10, and the next week, if they look terrible (even if they beat a terrible team) he will move them out of the top 25.... I kind of like this to be honest... So Question, do any of you look at it this way as well? UC Davis losses to ISU, and I now don't think they should be in the top 25 at all. Next week, if they look better, I will move them back in...

Paytonlives said:
Surprised Southern. Ill jumped the Griz

Yes good win vs S Dak State.
But went to OT (Won by 1) vs Western Ill, a team UM beat by 30+ & EWU put 62 on.

UM hasn’t looked the same since western Illinois IMO. Three bad offensive performances in row. The only thing keeping this team alive is the outstanding defense, and we can’t rely on them to do it all this weekend. They are also down a bunch of starters and ostensibly still will be this Saturday? So the offense will absolutely have to pick it up. I think the best performance the team has had was honestly that western Illinois game.

SACCAT66 said:
Question.... I was listening to one of my favorite sports shows, and one of the people said that he ranks teams on just how they did that week. He said one week he will have a team in the top 10, and the next week, if they look terrible (even if they beat a terrible team) he will move them out of the top 25.... I kind of like this to be honest... So Question, do any of you look at it this way as well? UC Davis losses to ISU, and I now don't think they should be in the top 25 at all. Next week, if they look better, I will move them back in...
Honestly, I've never heard anyone who gets to vote in a poll say they do it that way. Every one I've heard talk say they go with "body of work," with a bias toward the more recent games. Ranking by only a team's most recent game means they could win every game up to the last ... and then be dropped completely out. Or does this pollster switch to a different approach at the end?

Back