• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BSC Mens Transfer Information 2020-21

LittleBear said:
hunt-ducks said:
I think the fact that Egun is going to transfer to lowly Regis college is a good example of how so many Griz fans think every high school player that Travis signs are great talents. I remember many posters lauding Egun as a rising star with the Griz. Seems like every freshman class that Travis signs is filled with future stars, according to many of you. My question to you is this......... are you predicting greatness from every class just because you are UM fans, or DeCuire fans, or both? Don't you think that every fan-base from other Big Sky schools feels the same about their player signings?
Just remember that the mid-major teams almost always sign the kids that are left after the majors sign the kids they want. Occasionally Travis is able to sign a kid who has multiple offers from the lower-tier majors, but that is the exception, rather than a regular occurrence.
And, yes, a few of these players turn-out to be very good players, and even good enough to start for bigger programs. But not many. And if they show that they are good enough to play at more elite programs, won't they be likely to transfer? This is the reason why I am not big on the philosophy of favoring high school kids at the expense of signing better-talented transfers. These transfers were recruited by the major programs for a reason. And in the current environment, these Big Sky teams who we have been used to dominating in the past are now able to instantly compete with us by signing a couple of key transfers.
Please admit that we were not very competitive in the Sky last season. Yes, we were young, and most of you seem to believe that simply gaining a year of experience will suddenly make us a dominating force in the conference again. I think the book is still out on how good we will be next season, even with almost everybody coming back.
Building our program with high school kids worked in the past for Travis, but things have changed dramatically with the new transfer rules, and I believe that the smart coaches are changing their recruiting philosophy accordingly. I hope that Travis is not so system-rigid that he fails to keep-up with these changes. Just my opinion.

Absolutely. I do think its 100% fan opinion that every Griz recruit is destined to be a star....and every recruit we dont sign is a bum. That being said Eddy was a spring recruit...meaning he probably wasn’t the staff’s first choice and was meant to fill the roster once we missed out on other options. I personally believe building the program with predominantly 4 year guys is the way to go...while sprinkling in transfers to fill the gaps.

We can talk about the recruits PSU is bringing in but when is the last time they’ve even remotely challenged for a Big Sky Title? If you look at our track record of transfers idk if you can necessarily say that’s the correct methodology...Darius, Cam S, Steadman, Naseem, Yagi...all were expected to be dudes. I do think we’ve missed both on 4 year guys and high school guys. But imo recruiting guys who didn’t want to be griz in the first place should only be done so to fill in the gaps from a talent perspective.

Not sure we all thought the transfers you mentioned would be dudes. I know I didn't. None of them had much success at their previous stop. Of course, just like recruiting in general, it is all about recruiting the RIGHT transfers. Most of the guys you mentioned were not from big-time programs like Rorie and Bruenig were. Two other thoughts on this topic....... 1) if the UM roster is filled will underclass high school recruits, it makes it much harder to convince a solid drop-down from a elite conference school like the PAC-10, SEC, Big 10, etc. to sign with us. These kids who drop-down are looking to "be the man" and to get into "the dance". I maintain that having a young roster with lots of returning high school starters will make it more difficult to recruit a key drop-down transfer. 2) I think the smart coaches keep their roster fluid after each season by "encouraging" kids who will never be a factor to transfer, thus opening roster spots for key transfers. I agree that having several 4-year kids on the roster is a plus. But I also believe that we had too many basically similar-talented young players clogging our roster last season.

hunt-ducks said:
LittleBear said:
Absolutely. I do think its 100% fan opinion that every Griz recruit is destined to be a star....and every recruit we dont sign is a bum. That being said Eddy was a spring recruit...meaning he probably wasn’t the staff’s first choice and was meant to fill the roster once we missed out on other options. I personally believe building the program with predominantly 4 year guys is the way to go...while sprinkling in transfers to fill the gaps.

We can talk about the recruits PSU is bringing in but when is the last time they’ve even remotely challenged for a Big Sky Title? If you look at our track record of transfers idk if you can necessarily say that’s the correct methodology...Darius, Cam S, Steadman, Naseem, Yagi...all were expected to be dudes. I do think we’ve missed both on 4 year guys and high school guys. But imo recruiting guys who didn’t want to be griz in the first place should only be done so to fill in the gaps from a talent perspective.

Not sure we all thought the transfers you mentioned would be dudes. I know I didn't. None of them had much success at their previous stop. Of course, just like recruiting in general, it is all about recruiting the RIGHT transfers. Most of the guys you mentioned were not from big-time programs like Rorie and Bruenig were. Two other thoughts on this topic....... 1) if the UM roster is filled will underclass high school recruits, it makes it much harder to convince a solid drop-down from a elite conference school like the PAC-10, SEC, Big 10, etc. to sign with us. These kids who drop-down are looking to "be the man" and to get into "the dance". I maintain that having a young roster with lots of returning high school starters will make it more difficult to recruit a key drop-down transfer. 2) I think the smart coaches keep their roster fluid after each season by "encouraging" kids who will never be a factor to transfer, thus opening roster spots for key transfers. I agree that having several 4-year kids on the roster is a plus. But I also believe that we had too many basically similar-talented young players clogging our roster last season.

That’s true. Not every one of those guys was predicted to be an all-conference player. My only point is that as fans we project “our” guys to be much better players than everyone else’s most of the time.

To your point about having a roster of high school players making it harder to get transfers, idk. I don’t feel like we’ve had a hard time getting transfers, it’s been an issue of finding the right pieces like you mentioned. I agree that our transfers should be guys dropping down (Ahmad, Breunig, Kendal) rather than guys making lateral moves (Darius, Yagi). With that being said, like you mentioned guys are transferring to “be the man.” Too many of those guys on 1 team can be a problem. That’s why I think building a culture through hs guys while plugging holes with transfers here and there can work.

Our current roster has too many players that lack offensive versatility imo...how often did guys have great games on Thursdays only to be completely handcuffed on Saturday. It seems like we have a lot of players that can be neutralized by taking away a single scoring option. I’m hoping Robby can be a guy that makes a huge leap in his consistency after a full off-season and Bannan and Whitney address their perimeter shooting

Grizfan-24 said:
As we move into what might be the silliest season of transfers ever, why not create a substantive list for all the transfers:

I'll try to keep them updated as I find them. Feel free to comment with information or whatever else you see fit.

(Transfer: T, Graduate T: GT)
* Starter

Eastern Washington: (8/2)
- PF Jordan Veening, RS SO (T) (3E)
- SG Jacob Davison, RS SR (GT) 1E- Cal Poly
- *C Tanner Groves, RS JR (T) 2E- Oklahoma!
- *SF Jacob Groves, SO (T) 3E- Oklahoma!

- *PG Michael Meadows, RS SO (T) 3E - University of Portland
- SF Tyler Robertson, SO (T)- University of Portland

- *SG Kim Aiken Jr., RS-JR (T)- Washington State
-* G Jack Perry, SR (GT)- University of Portland
**Added**
- SG Rylan Bergerson, SR (GT)- BYU via Central Arkansas
- SF Angelo Allegri, JR (T)- UNC-Greensboro

Idaho: (7/1)
- *P Scott Blakney, SR (GT) - University of Montana
- *G Ja'Vary Christmas, SR (GT) New Mexico Highlands
- PG Hunter-Jack Madden, FR (T)- Otero Junior College
- *SG DeAndre Robinson, JR (T)
- SG A.J. Youngman, RS JR (GT)
- *PG Damen Thacker, SR (GT)- Montana State Billings
- PF Babacar Thiombane, SR (GT)
**Added**
- SG Nolan Bertain, SR (GT) : Texas A&M Corpus Christi
- C Phillip Pepple, JR- Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville
- PG Trevante Anderson, JR- University of San Francisco

Idaho State:(1)

- SG Noble Cooper, JR (T)
**Added**
- PF Jared Rodriguez, (RS JR)- University of San Diego

Montana: (4/2)
- G Cameron Satterwhite, SR (GT)
- *C Michael Steadman, Sr (GT)- Massachusetts
- C Darius Henderson, JR (T)
- G Eddy Egun, RS SO - Regis College (CO)(T)
**Added**
- PF/C Scott Blakney, Sr (GT) University of Idaho
- SG Oscar Lopez Jr., So. - DePaul University

Montana State:(4/1)
- SG Caleb Bellach, FR (T) Montana Technological University
- PG Mike Hood JR (T): Coppin State
- PF Finn Fleute, RS FR (T): University of Texas-Tyler
- PF Bilal Shabazz, JR (T): Montana State Billings
- SG Jesse Owens, RS FR (T): Rocky Mountain University
**Added**
- SG RaeQuan Battle, So. (T): University of Washington

Northern Arizona: (5/4)
- PG Dayton Harris, FR (T)
- *SG Luke Avdalovic, JR (T): Pacific University
- SG Jackson Larsen, RS FR (T): San Diego City College (JC)
- *PG Cameron Shelton, JR (T) (1-2E) - Loyola Marymount
- C Olgierd Dmochewicz, FR (T)
** ADDED**
- PG Mason Starks, RS JR - Northern State
- PG Jalen Cone So. - Virginia Tech
- C Justus Rainwater Sr. - Florida Gulfcoast University
- SF Robert Hutchens, FR- Seattle University
- C Ezekiel Richards, RS-SO- Santa Clara University

Northern Colorado: (6/2)
- G Greg Bowie II, RS JR (GT)- Texas A&M International
- SF Marque English, SO (T)
- SG Rodrick McCobb, RS SR (GT)- Cal State Eastbay
- PF Roy Grigsby , RS SO (T) - Concordia-St. Paul
- PG Sam Masten, JR (T) - Northern State
- PG Malcolm Little, FR (T)- Colorado State- Pueblo
**Added**
- PG Dru Kuxhausen, SR (T)- McNeese State
- PG Trent Hudgens Jr., JR (T)- Santa Clara

Portland State: (4/3)
- SG Gio Nelson, RS JR (2E)
- SG Kyle Greely, RS SO (3E)- St. Martins
- PG James Scott, RS SR (GT)- Eastern Michigan
- PG Jaden Nielsen-Skinner (T)
**Added**
- PG Damion Squire, JR (2E)- Cal Poly
- PG Ezekiel Alley, SR- Northwest Nazarene
- SF James Jean-Marie, SR (GT)- Hawaii
- SG Marlon Ruffin, JR (T)- University of Nebraska-Omaha
- SG Michael Carter III, RS JR- Long Beach State

Sacramento State:(2/2)
- PFJordan Cook-Harper, JR-Westmont College (NAIA) (T)
- *PG Brandon Davis, JR (T)
- SF Jalen Townsell, RS SO- Westmont College (NAIA) (T)
**Added**
- C Jonathan Komagum, JR (T) Toledo
- SG Damion Thornton, JR- Southwestern Oklahoma State

Southern Utah: (2)
- C Yuat Alok, RS SR C(GT)- Coppin State
- PG Darnell Latham Jr. SR (GT)
**Added**
- SG Amound Anderson, FR (T)- California State Northridge

Weber State (2/2):
- PF Mitch Brizee, RS FR (T)- Central Washington University (DII)
- SG Darweshi Hunter, RS SO (T)- Northern Illinois
- SG Tavian Percy, JR (T)
**Added**
- PG Koby McEwen, RS SR (GT)- Marquette/Utah State
- SG Jamison Overton, SR (GT) - Utah Valley
-PF Dyson Koehler, FR (T)- Cal Poly

Montana Transfer Targets/Connections 2020-21:
- SF: Chance Hunter (Long Beach State) - JR (2E) - Cal Baptist
- SG: Tyree Iheanacho (North Dakota)- FR (Summit League Fr POY)- James Madison
- SG: DaJuan Gordon (Kansas State) - SO (2E) - Missouri.
- SG: Luc Krystowiak (Utah)- FR
-SG/SF: Isiah Reddish (GTR)-(Barton College-DII)- SR (1E) - Kennesaw State
- SG/SF: Eysan Wiley (TR)- (William Jewel)- University of Texas-Tyler
- SF: Ronnie DeGray III (TR) -FR - (Massachusetts) - Montana offered in High School.
- PF: Scott Blakney (GTR) - (Idaho) - SR (1E): Montana
- PF: Alonzo Sule (Texas State) - RS JR (2E)- James Madison
- PF: J'Raan Brooks (Washington)- RS SO (2-3E)- Offered or recruited by Montana as a HS player. 4 star - UC San Diego
- PF: Dimon Carrigan (FIU)- SR GT-
- PF: A.J. Bramah (TR)- (Robert Morris) - Arizona State
- C: Jhaylon Martinez (UNLV)-RS FR- Offered or recruited by Montana as a HS player.- UC Riverside

Griz fan-24. Thanks for all the hard work.

AJ Bramah decommitted from ASU and committed to Nevada.

https://twitter.com/baller_killer2/status/1398390113265127424?s=21

gotgame75 said:
Griz til I die said:
Damn, good pickup for the Vandys!

Not quite sure I agree with you here. This is Dixon's 4th team in 5 years! That says a lot in my opinion.
Oh I didn’t know that. I just saw his numbers at GCU. These kids that have transferred so many times are very hit or miss.

sacstateman said:
Sac St. just signed Cameron Wilbon, 6'5" F/G from Robert Morris.....He will have 3 years of eligibility left....

Do you guys usually wait until the new recruits unpack before you show them the gym?

Ursa Major said:
sacstateman said:
Sac St. just signed Cameron Wilbon, 6'5" F/G from Robert Morris.....He will have 3 years of eligibility left....

Do you guys usually wait until the new recruits unpack before you show them the gym?

I'm not sure what order our coaches work in but I do know, unlike some other unnamed schools, when we get them, they don't transfer out or commit crimes to get them booted.....48 out of 49 recruits under Katz have graduated on time....touche...

sacstateman said:
Ursa Major said:

I'm not sure what order our coaches work in but I do know, unlike some other unnamed schools, when we get them, they don't transfer out or commit crimes to get them booted.....48 out of 49 recruits under Katz have graduated on time....touche...

I'm glad you guys kept Katz around, I know the administration was trying to run him off right back before Covid hit. I think it would've set the program back. These smaller D1 programs need continuity, and firing the coach isn't usually the answer unless something is severely wrong. The fact that Katz hangs onto his players and develops them speaks volumes.

CopperGold14 said:
sacstateman said:

I'm glad you guys kept Katz around, I know the administration was trying to run him off right back before Covid hit. I think it would've set the program back. These smaller D1 programs need continuity, and firing the coach isn't usually the answer unless something is severely wrong. The fact that Katz hangs onto his players and develops them speaks volumes.

Must be mid-summer boredom fer crying outloud!! Worst post ever from CopperGold very disappointing!

CopperGold14 said:
sacstateman said:

Honestly I think the only thing holding Sac State back at this point is their gym. No disrespect to sacstatesman but no kid who is D1 caliber is going to wanna play in that gym,,,, Katz is a great coach, I think Sacramento IMO is an attractive place to live and go to school, lot's to do in the area, but they desperately need a new gym. I know at some point there was a rumor floating that they were going to build a new basketball arena but IDK whatever became of that, but it's a must at this point.

wyomingriz said:
CopperGold14 said:

Must be mid-summer boredom fer crying outloud!! Worst post ever from CopperGold very disappointing!

To hell with you WyomGriz, you struggle to follow a logical conversation even on your best day!

CopperGold14 said:
wyomingriz said:

To hell with you WyomGriz, you struggle to follow a logical conversation even on your best day!

You obviously struggle with cognitive issues unless your belly is full of a pot brownie

sacstateman said:
Ursa Major said:

:clap: :clap: :clap: That’s a stat I highly respect.

wyomingriz said:
CopperGold14 said:

You obviously struggle with cognitive issues unless your belly is full of a pot brownie

Not a big surprise that you can't string together any kind of coherent thoughts -- a 2016 survey by the CDC had Wyoming as the state with the lowest average IQ,. N. Dakota and Mississippi were 48 and 49.

Back