• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Latest Griz Softball

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Girls are off to a slower start, but have played a very legit schedule.

A great walk off win yesterday with Weisgram (who has battled an injury since breaking out as a freshman) hit a game winner opposite field line drive. They beat Seattle who was 8-0 against Big Sky teams at that point. They actually battled Seattle pretty well in their other games too, just made some errors and mistakes and couldn’t produce runs.

I saw a stat where Achenbach had twice as many strikeouts as the next closest pitcher to her in the big sky this season....she was already at 80 and the next closest was at like 40 and I think she added on another 20 or so in the last couple games. Remarkable!

They’ve got two more games today against Utah Valley and one tomorrow. Go Griz!

HookedonGriz said:
Girls are off to a slower start, but have played a very legit schedule.

A great walk off win yesterday with Weisgram (who has battled an injury since breaking out as a freshman) hit a game winner opposite field line drive. They beat Seattle who was 8-0 against Big Sky teams at that point. They actually battled Seattle pretty well in their other games too, just made some errors and mistakes and couldn’t produce runs.

I saw a stat where Achenbach had twice as many strikeouts as the next closest pitcher to her in the big sky this season....she was already at 80 and the next closest was at like 40 and I think she added on another 20 or so in the last couple games. Remarkable!

They’ve got two more games today against Utah Valley and one tomorrow. Go Griz!

Hooked, glad to see you still got enthusiasm. It’s been a ruff year for the girls, especially after how last year was going. The bats have been there with several girls floating at or above .300 all year and a lot of girls showing some power. Loved the 1st inning grand slam by Kendall Curtis yesterday and was really glad they were able to hold on for the win. Today was another ruff day for the girls but hopefully Achenbach can come out tomorrow and help secure a win. Achenbachs K numbers were almost as remarkable last year but we also had a resurgent Michaela Hood last year and we are really missing a 2nd dominant pitcher this year. Our inexperienced 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pitchers are really struggling to keep opposing offenses at bay and our decently good offense can’t keep up. What really makes me nervous is that next year Achenbach will most likely be gone, barring she doesn’t opt in for her bonus senior season. We do have a very good pitching commit coming in next year and hopefully Brock can develop into the dominant pitcher she is expected to be. If not, then I really hope we score a LOT of runs. As always, Go Griz!

Our pitching this year has been terrible quite frankly. Our conference ERA is almost 7 runs per game. We are also giving up way to many walks, more than double what our opponents give up.

84GRIZ said:
Our pitching this year has been terrible quite frankly. Our conference ERA is almost 7 runs per game. We are also giving up way to many walks, more than double what our opponents give up.

I agree. And it is a puzzler to me, since Coach Mel, as a former pitcher, should be able to recruit better quality pitchers. Another issue i have has been base running, which has certainly not improved by Mel abdicating the 3d-base box to an assistant.

maroonandsilver said:
84GRIZ said:

I agree. And it is a puzzler to me, since Coach Mel, as a former pitcher, should be able to recruit better quality pitchers. Another issue i have has been base running, which has certainly not improved by Mel abdicating the 3d-base box to an assistant.

A lot of the pitching can’t be blamed on Coach Mel. Achenbach, unlike her previous three years, was expected to be the horse of the rotation. Unfortunately she has taken quite a step back this year and you can’t help but wonder how much she’s cracked under the pressure. Last year with Michaela Hood as the clear ace of the staff, Achenbach had amazing numbers with great control. You also must remember that last year no conference games were played which is definitely the easier part of their schedule. Achenbach posted a 2.57 era while striking out 76 batters in 81.2 innings. While maintaining her k/inning ratio this year at 149 in 150.1, her walks have ballooned from .31/inning(25 total) to .56/inning(84 total). Her hits allowed have also gone up from .97/inning(79) to 1.17/inning(175). Maybe the most damaging is her extra base hits allowed, having jumped from .32/inning to .49/inning. Not surprisingly, her BA allowed has exploded from .256 to .289. The most telling number though showing her lose of control/composure is wild pitches allowed. Last year she threw one wp while this year she’s let loose 11 wp’s. Maybe not quite all of this is on her though. For one, the defense behind her has gone the wrong direction also. Last year they finished with a .970fl%, while this year they are currently at .959%. Another factor is the lack of experience from the rest of the staff with a So(Ashley Ward) and two Fr(Allie Brock and Anna Toon) completing the rest of the staff. Because of this, Achenbach has probably been forced to pitch more innings then she should, w/out the support she had in years past. Ward pitched very little last year as a Fr where Coach was probably waiting to get her more experience in the con schedule that never arrived. Allie Brock is going to get better but the growing pains have been tuff. Next year will be a bigger concern with an extremely young staff but we do have another highly touted Ore pitcher coming in Dana Butterfield. This years team ERA of 6.64 is by far the teams worst ever and since 2016, Montana is routinely in the top three, if not leading the con. Hopefully one season does not make a trend and Coach can get these girls back on track next year.

Back