• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NAU Thread

We're a young team, still growing. Our rebounding and interior defense are terrible. We need more muscle down low. Our bigs are being pushed around. Can we import an interior lineman from the football team?

Except for this, our defense is excellent--constant movement, switching, trapping, even the bigs coming out to trap.

But our offense looks stagnant. A player posted in each of the deep corners, while two guards dribble back and forth out front, looking for a post pass or an opening for a drive to the basket. No movement back and forth along the base line. Very few screens. No back door cuts.

But here's my beef.

At the very end of the first half, NAU had the ball out at their end of the court with 7 seconds left. We should have pressed. We did not. We let them get off a three-point shot which missed, but there was STILL time for them to put back the miss. They go into the locker room with at least some momentum for the second half after being down double digits.

That should not have happened. That is unforgivable. That is bad coaching. Good teams NEVER let you off the hook.

I think part of my frustration is I have become used to winning so these type of games hit extra hard. Close games are not bouncing our way. Plus the preseason hype of how great our incoming recruits were the best that had ever been.

I truly do wonder how badly this team has been affected by DJ breaking his hand this offseason, Satterwhite not panning out, and Naseem Gaskin, who I believe would’ve been our best player this year, getting arrested and kicked off the team. God only knows what this season could’ve been like if none of those things happen.

Griz til I die said:
I truly do wonder how badly this team has been affected by DJ breaking his hand this offseason, Satterwhite not panning out, and Naseem Gaskin, who I believe would’ve been our best player this year, getting arrested and kicked off the team. God only knows what this season could’ve been like if none of those things happen.

Well we probably wouldn’t have three freshmen getting major minutes... :lol:

Griz go cold as NAU wins in Missoula to earn split
https://skylinesportsmt.com/griz-go-cold-as-nau-wins-in-missoula-to-earn-split/

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1350581968690270210

WATCH: Montana Griz Hoops - UM men's basketball team loses 62-58 to NAU
https://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-griz-hoops-um-mens-basketball-team-loses-62-58-to-northern-arizona/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8diEohSnAs&feature=emb_title

grizindabox said:
Turnovers, and on ball defense (terrible stopping penetration) were/are big issues. Also, much better team with Bannon on the bench.

Don't agree on Bannon. He knows how to play the game.

CleanHOUSE said:
Griz til I die said:
You’re not kidding. I’m tired of watching Steadman and Bannon thinking they need to take a power dribble before going up for the shot. Just go up, try to dunk it and if you get fouled then get fouled. I can’t remember a season where we’ve had fewer dunks.

For sure, that last play to Steadman should have been a dunk if he is ready to catch an go up, but instead catch and assess the situation and let the guy get over, even then the guy was just just getting there he still had a chance to go up hard and 99% make it or get fouled cause the guy was just getting there and not in position to defend a shot

A dunk would have been good, but just putting it up would have been good too. Waiting for a 2d defender was not the answer.

Griz til I die said:

And Falls.

PlayerRep said:
CleanHOUSE said:
For sure, that last play to Steadman should have been a dunk if he is ready to catch an go up, but instead catch and assess the situation and let the guy get over, even then the guy was just just getting there he still had a chance to go up hard and 99% make it or get fouled cause the guy was just getting there and not in position to defend a shot

A dunk would have been good, but just putting it up would have been good too. Waiting for a 2d defender was not the answer.

That drove me up the wall, my god your 6'10", dunk the fucking ball don't get cute with a little jump hook, which didn't turn out so well.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
Turnovers, and on ball defense (terrible stopping penetration) were/are big issues. Also, much better team with Bannon on the bench.

Bannon's stats: 21 min, 0-4 shooting, 2 reb, 4 fouls, 1 TO Not exactly a stellar performance. I know, I know, he's a freshman with unlimited potential. When will that potential become reality?

MikeyGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Bannon's stats: 21 min, 0-4 shooting, 2 reb, 4 fouls, 1 TO Not exactly a stellar performance. I know, I know, he's a freshman with unlimited potential. When will that potential become reality?

He’s playing at out of position at the 4. He’s a high energy 5.

Griz do need to mix up this lineup. I’ve liked the Owens, DCH, Parker, Whitney, and Vasquez small ball line up

dayday said:
MikeyGriz said:

Griz do need to mix up this lineup. I’ve liked the Owens, DCH, Parker, Whitney, and Vasquez small ball line up

Bannon is most definitely a 4 and not a 5.

grizindabox said:
dayday said:

Bannon is most definitely a 4 and not a 5.

What is this 5 you speak of, never have heard of one around here.

Dribblers, hell we got lots of those.

Griz til I die said:
GrizSteve said:
Turnovers in the post are killing us. Stand around, dribble, dribble and throw it into a dead hole for turnovers and offense out of timeouts is horrific
You’re not kidding. I’m tired of watching Steadman and Bannon thinking they need to take a power dribble before going up for the shot. Just go up, try to dunk it and if you get fouled then get fouled. I can’t remember a season where we’ve had fewer dunks.

I think that one kid from Whitworth had more dunks against us in one game than we've had all year. I think he had 4.

Zirg said:
Griz til I die said:

I think that one kid from Whitworth had more dunks against us in one game than we've had all year. I think he had 4.

Remember the "man" from Turkey (?) who said before the season started "I like to dunk the ball".
He didn't last long but I sure did like that statement.
Who was that ?

PlayerRep said:
CleanHOUSE said:

The attempted rebound on the other end after the missed jump hook was bad too. Griz play tough defense and NAU's Shelton is forced to take a tough 8 - 10 footer he missed. Steadman has his guy perfectly blocked out early but leaves him to go ball chasing and the guy he just had blocked out ends up with the rebound. Gets fouled makes both FT's and 1 point lead goes to 3.

Steadman should dunk to give Griz 1 point lead and grab rebound on other end to preserve it. Instead he missed a bunny to stay 1 down, let's his guy grab big offensive rebound and give NAU a 3 point lead.

Our All Big Sky MVP "big" man had two chances late against NAU and failed on both.

fanofzoo said:
Remember the "man" from Turkey (?) who said before the season started "I like to dunk the ball".
He didn't last long but I sure did like that statement.
Who was that ?

Recep Tayyipikayokiyay Erdogan, distant relation to Turkeys prez.

Back