• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Revamped UM Student Recruitment

PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:
Freshman fall registration dives. It will be interesting to see how total enrollment holds up. (https://missoulian.com/news/local/um-fall-enrollment-holds-overall-freshman-registration-dives/article_b8263c57-130d-5d8a-b377-d72cbf87ea9a.html)

On the enrollment management end of things, in the past few months UM has lost their Executive Vice President, their Vice President for Enrollment and Communications, as well as their Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and Financial Aid.

I haven't heard if any of those positions have been filled.

Who did you think was feeding me my info? I've lost most of my sources. Bodnar is the only one left in this area.

I just assumed you were making it up.

wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:
Who did you think was feeding me my info? I've lost most of my sources. Bodnar is the only one left in this area.

Seth introduced me to Cathy Cole and asked her provide what I wanted. She was great. Smart, knowledgeable and a good sense of humor.

PlayerRep said:
After seeing discussion on this subject, and multiple complaints, in various other threads, I did some looking. I thought I'd start a new thread for what I learned and discussion.

Many of you know, and know first hand, that UM's recruiting and enrollment was lacking and broken for many years.

When Bodnar became president, and hired Cathy Cole 18 months ago, it was apparent that things were not functioning on the enrollment or communication side of UM. After initial assessment, it was determined that it would be best to start over and rebuild UM's enrollment management operation and rewrite, redesign and redeploy all marketing and communication efforts.

The program is now data and tech-driven. All students in MT and and select markets in the US and outside the US are being targeted. UM is re-engaging with the student counselor community in MT. The new program is high touch. There is a Student Enrollment Communication Center for inbound and outbound communications.

The changes are in process, but this large effort won't happen overnight. Undoing and rebuilding systems at the same time is time-intensive and not easy, without losing momentum. Substantial process has been made and there is much more to come.

The Enrollment Management Office at UM was not adhering to best practices. As a result, the offices that make up enrollment management — admissions, financial aid and evaluations - have been restructured, and processes and systems rebuilt from the bottom up.

New strategies have been put into place that have taken into account limited resources coupled with huge enthusiasm. UM believes it has begun making significant gains in its target markets.

Not all marketing and communication efforts are visible, and many of UM'S efforts are targeting to 16- and 17-year-olds who live on their screens. UM is now communicating with them — about 50-60 times per year on average — and double that on social media.

Considerable resources are being put into all this. However, the budget is not unlimited.

Sounds like he has identified a problem and has somewhat of a plan, and it only took 2 1/2 years. :thumb:

The.Real.2506 said:
PlayerRep said:
After seeing discussion on this subject, and multiple complaints, in various other threads, I did some looking. I thought I'd start a new thread for what I learned and discussion.

Many of you know, and know first hand, that UM's recruiting and enrollment was lacking and broken for many years.

When Bodnar became president, and hired Cathy Cole 18 months ago, it was apparent that things were not functioning on the enrollment or communication side of UM. After initial assessment, it was determined that it would be best to start over and rebuild UM's enrollment management operation and rewrite, redesign and redeploy all marketing and communication efforts.

The program is now data and tech-driven. All students in MT and and select markets in the US and outside the US are being targeted. UM is re-engaging with the student counselor community in MT. The new program is high touch. There is a Student Enrollment Communication Center for inbound and outbound communications.

The changes are in process, but this large effort won't happen overnight. Undoing and rebuilding systems at the same time is time-intensive and not easy, without losing momentum. Substantial process has been made and there is much more to come.

The Enrollment Management Office at UM was not adhering to best practices. As a result, the offices that make up enrollment management — admissions, financial aid and evaluations - have been restructured, and processes and systems rebuilt from the bottom up.

New strategies have been put into place that have taken into account limited resources coupled with huge enthusiasm. UM believes it has begun making significant gains in its target markets.

Not all marketing and communication efforts are visible, and many of UM'S efforts are targeting to 16- and 17-year-olds who live on their screens. UM is now communicating with them — about 50-60 times per year on average — and double that on social media.

Considerable resources are being put into all this. However, the budget is not unlimited.

Sounds like he has identified a problem and has somewhat of a plan, and it only took 2 1/2 years. :thumb:

The plan was being put in place much earlier. Project Warp Speed.

PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:

Seth introduced me to Cathy Cole and asked her provide what I wanted. She was great. Smart, knowledgeable and a good sense of humor.

I’ve heard the polar opposite, but I’m sure we run in different crowds.

wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:

I made my observations based on my multiple interactions with her. All firsthand knowledge. But limited only to how she dealt with me. I didn’t get my data from a crowd.

wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:

About Seth or how great Cathy was? :lol:

I saw MSU and Carroll both released their enrollment numbers for the fall. MSU down 3% to 16,249 total students. MSU budgeted for a nearly 10% decrease in enrollment so they look to be in pretty good shape budget wise.

I assume UM’s will be coming out this week sometime.

wbtfg said:
I saw MSU and Carroll both released their enrollment numbers for the fall. MSU down 3% to 16,249 total students. MSU budgeted for a nearly 10% decrease in enrollment so they look to be in pretty good shape budget wise.

Ya we started the semester two days later then msu, so a little bit more time for us to get to 15 days, and then give them a couple days to compile the results. I’d say by Monday is when we should hear something.

I don’t expect a huge drop for UM. I think it will be similar to msu

Griz til I die said:
wbtfg said:

Ya we started the semester two days later then msu, so a little bit more time for us to get to 15 days, and then give them a couple days to compile the results. I’d say by Monday is when we should hear something.

I’d guess 5-8% decline. The last article in the missoulian seemed to indicate that incoming freshmen numbers would be way down.

wbtfg said:
Griz til I die said:

I’d guess 5-8% decline. The last article in the missoulian seemed to indicate that incoming freshmen numbers would be way down.

4.5% drop in enrollment. Much better than I would have guessed.

https://mtstandard.com/news/state-and-regional/um-enrollment-down-retention-up/article_35f3783d-f920-53b1-8a46-6ca10364ca19.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_The_Montana_Standard&fbclid=IwAR11UnQIU98d4GrUr6plgF9G-Kf7XX2-btZP2tR4V0DrSdxBOK0ayNPgHO8

HookedonGriz said:
wbtfg said:

4.5% drop in enrollment. Much better than I would have guessed.

https://mtstandard.com/news/state-and-regional/um-enrollment-down-retention-up/article_35f3783d-f920-53b1-8a46-6ca10364ca19.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_The_Montana_Standard&fbclid=IwAR11UnQIU98d4GrUr6plgF9G-Kf7XX2-btZP2tR4V0DrSdxBOK0ayNPgHO8

That’s great news. It looks like they are combining the 2 year and 4 year campuses into the same report. It would be interested to see those numbers separately.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/university-of-montana-sees-4-5-decrease-in-enrollment-retention-up/article_bed5f538-4dee-51f5-82fc-4d04565ede25.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Here’s the release from the Missoulian. A few things jump out at me here.

-it looks to me like um is combining the 4 year and 2 year college numbers in this report. It would be interesting to see specific 4 year campus numbers.

-the article says UM’s 472 student enrollment decline was “almost exclusively” freshman. Last year their freshman class was about 1100. Did the freshman class numbers drop 30-40%? I thought freshman apps were up 33% at one point this year.

-It will be interesting to see how much MSU subsidizes UM this year. If I remember correctly, last year it was in the $18 million range.

wbtfg said:
https://missoulian.com/news/local/university-of-montana-sees-4-5-decrease-in-enrollment-retention-up/article_bed5f538-4dee-51f5-82fc-4d04565ede25.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

-it looks to me like um is combining the 4 year and 2 year college numbers in this report. It would be interesting to see specific 4 year campus numbers.

-the article says UM’s 472 student enrollment decline was “almost exclusively” freshman. Last year their freshman class was about 1100. Did the freshman class numbers drop 30-40%? I thought freshman apps were up 33% at one point this year.

-It will be interesting to see how much MSU subsidizes UM this year. If I remember correctly, last year it was in the $18 million range.

You seem eerily invested in all of this, on a borderline creeper level for a MSU fan. Maybe the UM should hire you for enrollment help.

Also, I’m 99% sure that MSU and others also count their 4 year and 2 year (if they have them) numbers into initial totals.

HookedonGriz said:
wbtfg said:

You seem eerily invested in all of this, on a borderline creeper level for a MSU fan. Maybe the UM should hire you for enrollment help.

Also, I’m 99% sure that MSU and others also count their 4 year and 2 year (if they have them) numbers into initial totals.

It’s an interesting topic for me, that’s for sure. And maybe UM should hire me. I could screw up enrollment for much less than 170k/year or whatever it was they paid the previous person.

And yes, I think most 4 years are now including 2 year enrollment as well. I didn’t realize that gallatin college had drastically closed the enrollment gap with Missoula college. So yes, valid point.

From a budget standpoint it would be interesting to see the two year colleges broken out of the 4 year numbers as the 2-year college students pay 1/2 the amount of annual tuition. Additionally it would also be interesting to see the non-resident numbers, as they pay 3x annual tuition.

wbtfg said:
HookedonGriz said:

It’s an interesting topic for me, that’s for sure. And maybe UM should hire me. I could screw up enrollment for much less than 170k/year or whatever it was they paid the previous person.

And yes, I think most 4 years are now including 2 year enrollment as well. I didn’t realize that gallatin college had drastically closed the enrollment gap with Missoula college. So yes, valid point.

From a budget standpoint it would be interesting to see the two year colleges broken out of the 4 year numbers as the 2-year college students pay 1/2 the amount of annual tuition. Additionally it would also be interesting to see the non-resident numbers, as they pay 3x annual tuition.
Also didn’t the Bozeman chronicle say something about msu counting dual enrollment high school kids too?

Griz til I die said:
wbtfg said:

Also didn’t the Bozeman chronicle say something about msu counting dual enrollment high school kids too?

Indeed....

Michael Becker, spokesman for the university, said enrollment could increase in the next three weeks, with high school students in the area signing up for dual enrollment classes.

I didn’t consider that aspect of the headcount, but I guess it makes sense.

wbtfg said:

-It will be interesting to see how much MSU subsidizes UM this year. If I remember correctly, last year it was in they $18 million range.

MSU doesn't "subsidize" UM. It's state money, not MSU's money. Yes, the board of regents changed, a number of years ago, the manner of allocating funds away from primarily a per capita basis. Yes, the MSU president whines a lot more than the UM president.

On the other hand, the state does subsidize MSU football/athletics more than UM, and has for years. Yes, MSU pretty much makes that decision as to how the state money is spent, but historically the state amount of the MSU athletic budget is millions more than the UM budget.

Good question on the drop in frosh students at UM.

Assuming that the decline for each school involved people paying the same tuition, which, of course, is not necessarily the case, then it looks like MSU lost more tuition in the aggregate than UM did. Do you read the numbers that way?

PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:

-It will be interesting to see how much MSU subsidizes UM this year. If I remember correctly, last year it was in they $18 million range.

MSU doesn't "subsidize" UM. It's state money, not MSU's money. Yes, the board of regents changed, a number of years ago, the manner of allocating funds away from primarily a per capita basis. Yes, the MSU president whines a lot more than the UM president.

On the other hand, the state does subsidize MSU football/athletics more than UM, and has for years. Yes, MSU pretty much makes that decision as to how the state money is spent, but historically the state amount of the MSU athletic budget is millions more than the UM budget.

Good question on the drop in frosh students at UM.

Assuming that the decline for each school involved people paying the same tuition, which, of course, is not necessarily the case, then it looks like MSU lost more tuition in the aggregate than UM did. Do you read the numbers that way?

Good info, PR. I haven't checked the last two years or so, but I remember MSU Athletics requiring substantially more state funding to operate than UM in the 5-10+ years before that. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I remember MSU athletics being majority state-funded for years.

Back