• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

P5 Cancellation Inevitable?

ilovethecats said:
I wonder how many athletes had the virus? I just ask because only a couple weeks ago it was reported that at least 5 athletes had it. Still not great obviously but just curious how these two relate to one another?

Asking because I’m not familiar with the report you reference: was it athletes or football players; one university or the entire conference?

Spanky2 said:
Yukon said:
we might be right.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/cdc-tells-states-ready-distribute-vaccines-nov-72782416
I hope so.

We will for sure have a vaccine by November. Now, will it be effective and safe?, that would be a different question.

EverettGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
I wonder how many athletes had the virus? I just ask because only a couple weeks ago it was reported that at least 5 athletes had it. Still not great obviously but just curious how these two relate to one another?

Asking because I’m not familiar with the report you reference: was it athletes or football players; one university or the entire conference?

Sorry, I worded that whole thing terribly.

Just a few weeks ago it was reported that at least 5 Big Ten athletes had myocarditis. Now this study says it could be as high as 35%.

So I guess my question was, did only about 13-15 athletes test positive for Covid, and of those about 5 had myocarditis? Or is there way more and they just learned of how many more in the last couple weeks?

If say, 200 Big10 athletes have tested positive, that’d be 60-70 that have myocarditis. That’s a huge leap from the 5 or so a few weeks ago. So I was mainly curious how many athletes total in the conference have coronavirus that we know of.

Not the hundreds that have it that don’t know it. ;)

ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:

Sorry, I worded that whole thing terribly.

Just a few weeks ago it was reported that at least 5 Big Ten athletes had myocarditis. Now this study says it could be as high as 35%.

So I guess my question was, did only about 13-15 athletes test positive for Covid, and of those about 5 had myocarditis? Or is there way more and they just learned of how many more in the last couple weeks?

If say, 200 Big10 athletes have tested positive, that’d be 60-70 that have myocarditis. That’s a huge leap from the 5 or so a few weeks ago. So I was mainly curious how many athletes total in the conference have coronavirus that we know of.

Not the hundreds that have it that don’t know it. ;)

Gotcha. And thanks!

I knew that tweet couldn't be accurate. What an idiot, or liar. Would anyone like this doctor treating you?

"Penn State clarifies remark by doctor about myocarditis and covid-19 positive Big Ten athletes"

"The comment by Wayne Sebastianelli, the school’s director of athletic medicine, came Monday as he spoke to a local school board about high school preparations and precautions. According to a Penn State Health spokesman, Sebastianelli was speaking about “initial preliminary data that had been verbally shared by a colleague on a forthcoming study” and was not aware that it had been published, showing a rate of close to 15 percent among athletes, most of whom had experienced mild or no symptoms. Neither Sebastianelli nor Penn State conducted that study and he apologized for the confusion."

WaPost

"Additionally, some have inferred his comments may have been related directly to Penn State student athletes. At this time, there have been no cases of myocarditis in COVID-19 positive student-athletes at Penn State."

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-covid-19-positive-athletes-one-third-have-myocarditis-penn-state-doctor-164111708.html

PlayerRep said:
I knew that tweet couldn't be accurate. What an idiot, or liar. Would anyone like this doctor treating you?

"Penn State clarifies remark by doctor about myocarditis and covid-19 positive Big Ten athletes"

"The comment by Wayne Sebastianelli, the school’s director of athletic medicine, came Monday as he spoke to a local school board about high school preparations and precautions. According to a Penn State Health spokesman, Sebastianelli was speaking about “initial preliminary data that had been verbally shared by a colleague on a forthcoming study” and was not aware that it had been published, showing a rate of close to 15 percent among athletes, most of whom had experienced mild or no symptoms. Neither Sebastianelli nor Penn State conducted that study and he apologized for the confusion."

WaPost

"Additionally, some have inferred his comments may have been related directly to Penn State student athletes. At this time, there have been no cases of myocarditis in COVID-19 positive student-athletes at Penn State."

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-covid-19-positive-athletes-one-third-have-myocarditis-penn-state-doctor-164111708.html

Thanks PR. It seemed really odd to me based on what I read a couple weeks ago. Only cause I had no clue what myocarditis was....

PlayerRep said:

WaPost

Yep. People quick to post garbage...

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Interesting. I doubt that is accurate.

Why do you doubt it?

I doubted it because it couldn't possibly be accurate, and it absolutely wasn't accurate. Not one athlete at Penn St has the heart issue. See the later national news, and Penn St's "correction". Everett, when one follows various issues, reads and researches, and is knowledgeable, as I am on some issues, it's not hard to spot things that can't possibly be accurate.

Spanky2 said:
Yukon said:
we might be right.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/cdc-tells-states-ready-distribute-vaccines-nov-72782416
I hope so.

getting closer.

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/pfizer-phase-3-coronavirus-vaccine-data-october

PlayerRep said:
Is revival of the entire P5 inevitable? Nah, too many schools in states with Left Coast governors.

and the other states have herd mentality, guess it's a wash.

kemajic said:
Kodiak said:
Mountain West also looking at a re-start.
Different TV revenue situation than with the P5. Could be real difficult to cover the expenses.
Since there's no "gate" to speak of, it is definitely all about the TV revenue. And, as more of the "name" programs and conferences come back on line, the lesser names will be pounding sand. Look at this coming weekend: ESPN had already lined up games for ESPNU and ESPN2. Within the next few weeks, all the big networks – and some of the lesser ones – that cover college football will be able to show games all day on Saturday. I very much doubt that a ROOT game payout, by itself, would be enough to sustain a program.

Could be wrong, but I imagine it would be a big stretch.

Back