• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Ten announced today start of football

UM reports 24 new Covid cases this week with some being student-athletes who are quarantined for 14 days. The Champions Center has been close for cleaning, but should reopen today or tomorrow.

GrizGuy said:
Bully for the Big10.
All the bellyaching about not having a season is pretty selfish IMHO.
I don't think it's worth the risk to these kids just to entertain the fans. Sure it sucks. Sure they're missing a season that could help two or three get to the NFL.
But the simple fact is nobody knows if one kid, coach or staffer will die if they get Covid. And I don't think any of their lives are worth the risk.
And there's evidence out that serious long-term heart damage could happen, especially to people who exercise - even if they get asymptomatic or mild symptoms. I don't think any of those kids should suffer life-long damage that could be avoided just for one season of football.

I'm sure some (hopefully very few) eGrizzers would be fine to see a couple of people die so they could enjoy a season of college football from the comfort of their quarantine.
I'm not one of them.
It's not worth it.

Source to read about heart damage: https://www.wired.com/story/if-youve-just-had-covid-exercise-might-not-be-good-for-you/

What's to say that they wouldn't die, or have heart issues, at the same rate if they didn't play football? Playing football keeps the players out of the bars. No downtown bar going during season for the Griz. Less time to party, except maybe a bit on Sat. nights. Frequent testing and monitoring. Big incentive to avoid other behavior that may end up preventing particular players from, playing, or affecting the team in a negative way.

I don't see this as the Big Ten or anyone playing for me; I see it as them playing for themselves. No one is making them play.

With no season this fall at UM, less incentive to avoid risky behavior that would lead to the covid.

GrizGuy said:
Bully for the Big10.
I don't think it's worth the risk to these kids just to entertain the fans. Sure it sucks. Sure they're missing a season that could help two or three get to the NFL.
But the simple fact is nobody knows if one kid, coach or staffer will die if they get Covid. And I don't think any of their lives are worth the risk.
And there's evidence out that serious long-term heart damage could happen, especially to people who exercise - even if they get asymptomatic or mild symptoms. I don't think any of those kids should suffer life-long damage that could be avoided just for one season of football.

I'm sure some (hopefully very few) eGrizzers would be fine to see a couple of people die so they could enjoy a season of college football from the comfort of their quarantine.
I'm not one of them.
It's not worth it.

Source to read about heart damage: https://www.wired.com/story/if-youve-just-had-covid-exercise-might-not-be-good-for-you/

From the article:

"If a person rests while they are ill and during recovery, most of the time the inflammation recedes and the heart muscle heals on its own. But strenuous activity while the heart is weakened can cause swelling in the legs, dizziness, shortness of breath, and—in serious cases—irregular heartbeat, cardiac arrest, and sudden death."

GrizGuy said:
Bully for the Big10.

I'm not one of them.
It's not worth it.

Man, I get that may be your opinion but that whole post is pretty misleading. You think these kids or coaches were FORCED to play? And for no reason than for money and the fans?! Nothing would suggest this is the case. I've said before, if the players all voted and the majority didn't want to play...they wouldn't play.

We don't know if a player or staffer will die. Stats so far suggest the players are more likely to be struck by lightning a couple times but that's not the point. We don't know. But it's all pretty hilarious to me that in a game like football....NOW all of a sudden people are up in arms about how selfish it is to play because the players may not be safe. You have to see the irony in that don't you?

Not to mention the fact that we're still pretending it's way to dangerous to play football, but not near as dangerous to go to school in the first place. Live in dorms. Eat together. Spend weekends out together. All this stuff is already happening, but letting the kids and coaches play football is suddenly going to put them over the top in some sort of "danger zone"?

And most importantly, let's remember that these kids don't HAVE to play. They are all allowed to opt out if they deem it too dangerous or feel they are being forced to play for the enjoyment of selfish fans like me..... :lol:

ilovethecats said:
GrizGuy said:
Bully for the Big10.

I'm not one of them.
It's not worth it.

Man, I get that may be your opinion but that whole post is pretty misleading. You think these kids or coaches were FORCED to play? And for no reason than for money and the fans?! Nothing would suggest this is the case. I've said before, if the players all voted and the majority didn't want to play...they wouldn't play.

We don't know if a player or staffer will die. Stats so far suggest the players are more likely to be struck by lightning a couple times but that's not the point. We don't know. But it's all pretty hilarious to me that in a game like football....NOW all of a sudden people are up in arms about how selfish it is to play because the players may not be safe. You have to see the irony in that don't you?

Not to mention the fact that we're still pretending it's way to dangerous to play football, but not near as dangerous to go to school in the first place. Live in dorms. Eat together. Spend weekends out together. All this stuff is already happening, but letting the kids and coaches play football is suddenly going to put them over the top in some sort of "danger zone"?

And most importantly, let's remember that these kids don't HAVE to play. They are all allowed to opt out if they deem it too dangerous or feel they are being forced to play for the enjoyment of selfish fans like me..... :lol:

I like your post. Like Coach O, I'm not a doctor. I asked the one I permanently date what myocarditis is, and she said it happens pretty much any time the body fights off a viral infection, and that it usually goes away with no treatment needed. She also pulled up to a diesel pump and asked me to put gas in her unequivocally non-diesel-powered vehicle last weekend, so take this info as you will.

CDAGRIZ said:
Where are we on the spelling of "virus" when said monosyllabically in a Southern and/or upper Midwest accent? Is it "vires" or "varce"?
I know a UND-F grad who pronounces it “versus.” And I’ll bet he writes it “vs” for short. He probably sees the title of a legal case and thinks, “crap, those parties must have tested negative.” (He’s so dumb, he thinks a negative test result is a negative outcome—remember that scene with George Castanza?)
He’s convinced the vaccine will be filled with microscopic robots (which he pronounces “row-butts”).

GrizGuy said:
Bully for the Big10.

I'm not one of them.
It's not worth it.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

argh! said:
dupuyer griz said:
Any parents out there want to sue the conference? Seems like it worked in the big 10. What a joke this whole thing has become.

you are hoping that happens, so you can whine about it. typical cult member.
Guess I’m having trouble figuring out why I would whine about a parent suing the conference so we can have a fucking football season instead of getting letter emails and calls to donate for the lost revenue of not having a football season.

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:

I like your post. Like Coach O, I'm not a doctor. I asked the one I permanently date what myocarditis is, and she said it happens pretty much any time the body fights off a viral infection, and that it usually goes away with no treatment needed. She also pulled up to a diesel pump and asked me to put gas in her unequivocally non-diesel-powered vehicle last weekend, so take this info as you will.

are you sure that wasn't a hint? she's looking for diesel, and all you are giving her is regular. better up your game, son!

argh! said:
CDAGRIZ said:

are you sure that wasn't a hint? she's looking for diesel, and all you are giving her is regular. better up your game, son!

Not sure. You could be onto something, haha!

zengriz said:
...make a prediction...
...they'll be starting up...
...s e c will be shutting down...

... :coffee: ...

...off the wall..making the call...
...blow your own horn on egriz...
...nobody going to blow it for you...

... :cool: ...

Back