• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Ten announced today start of football

Any parents out there want to sue the conference? Seems like it worked in the big 10. What a joke this whole thing has become.

...make a prediction...
...they'll be starting up...
...s e c will be shutting down...

... :coffee: ...

Great news. Nice to see them stepping up and letting these guys play.

People were saying that baseball would be a disaster and would have to shut down. They're still playing. NFL will play all season. More high schools are now playing and revisiting fans in attendance. As they should. The idea that kids can go to school with each other all week but it's too dangerous for them to support their classmates outside on a Friday night is completely asinine.

We took the precaution. Did what we were told. Made sacrifices. But I'm glad that conferences and universities, as well as schools across the country are revisiting their prior decisions. I know Bozeman is voting Monday to eliminate the asinine blended model, and going to school 5 days a week. Those uncomfortable with going to school 5 days a week will still have the option to stay home 5 days a week. What a concept!

dupuyer griz said:
Any parents out there want to sue the conference? Seems like it worked in the big 10. What a joke this whole thing has become.

LSU already has herd immunity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29892180/lsu-coach-ed-orgeron-most-team-contracted-coronavirus%3fplatform=amp

PlayerRep said:
dupuyer griz said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29892180/lsu-coach-ed-orgeron-most-team-contracted-coronavirus%3fplatform=amp

Loved this quote from Ed: "I'm not a doctor."
For real, Ed? No way.

dupuyer griz said:

you are hoping that happens, so you can whine about it. typical cult member.

Caved to political pressure and big money! I’m glad the kids get to play, but it looks sleepy to me! I hope the kids don’t get the virus, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some did! I just hate the administration of this country became involved in this! There’s a claim that “sports is suppose to stay out of politics!” Well, maybe politics should stay out of sports! It’s entertainment! To put any of these students in risk is foolish to me, and once again money in college sports mattering more than the student athletes! Sorry Payton.

rocklobster said:
Caved to political pressure and big money! I’m glad the kids get to play, but it looks sleepy to me! I hope the kids don’t get the virus, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some did! I just hate the administration of this country became involved in this! There’s a claim that “sports is suppose to stay out of politics!” Well, maybe politics should stay out of sports! It’s entertainment! To put any of these students in risk is foolish to me, and once again money in college sports mattering more than the student athletes! Sorry Payton.

I think some players will most certainly get the virus. I doubt anyone could possibly suggest otherwise. It's how they're able to handle that which will obviously be the biggest deal.

I don't think any of the kids are really in much risk at all. The stats don't seem to suggest they are. And it couldn't possibly be a lot more risky than going to class and living in dorms all day every day with the rest of the college population.

If enough players didn't want to play, they wouldn't play. But the vast majority of them seem to want to play and coach. I'm happy for them. It's at least a step in the right direction.

PlayerRep said:
dupuyer griz said:

To be honest, we don't know if LSU has herd immunity because we don't know specifics. Typically the threshold is 60 to 70 percent. We don't know what the numbers are with LSU. I read where the coach said 30 plus had it this summer and more have come about. I assume with players and staff at a SEC school you are up to 200 plus if you include redshirts, walkons, coaches, trainers, and all other support staff. So just a guess would be 120 to 140 plus to reach that.

rocklobster said:

Like they wouldn't have gotten it if they didn't play?

Where are we on the spelling of "virus" when said monosyllabically in a Southern and/or upper Midwest accent? Is it "vires" or "varce"?

grizatwork said:
PlayerRep said:

To be honest, we don't know if LSU has herd immunity because we don't know specifics. Typically the threshold is 60 to 70 percent. We don't know what the numbers are with LSU. I read where the coach said 30 plus had it this summer and more have come about. I assume with players and staff at a SEC school you are up to 200 plus if you include redshirts, walkons, coaches, trainers, and all other support staff. So just a guess would be 120 to 140 plus to reach that.

1. LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said Tuesday that most of his team has contracted COVID-19.

"Not all of our players, but most of our players have caught it," Orgeron told reporters. "I think that hopefully they won't catch it again, and hopefully they're not out for games."

Asked later for further clarification, Orgeron said he didn't know the exact percentage of players who have had the coronavirus.

2. Also, I was intending to make a little joke.

dupuyer griz said:

Some of the players, including the two receivers, will be damaged by likely have their NFL prospects diminished. Also, I have been personally damaged by there not being fall football or early season basketball, or the ability to go crowded bars/restaurants, or international travel. As a result, I had to get a 24 ft. Mercedes Sprinter to travel the West this fall. Does anyone know how to work one of these things? Ha.

https://www.applewayrv.com/product/new-2021-forest-river-rv-isata-3-isata-24fwm-1236432-17

PlayerRep said:
grizatwork said:

1. LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said Tuesday that most of his team has contracted COVID-19.

"Not all of our players, but most of our players have caught it," Orgeron told reporters. "I think that hopefully they won't catch it again, and hopefully they're not out for games."

Asked later for further clarification, Orgeron said he didn't know the exact percentage of players who have had the coronavirus.

I laughed, PR. I always laugh when Coach O is mentioned because he reminds me so much of Choachoate. Results aside, you gotta like a "we do football now?" guy.

CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:

I laughed, PR. I always laugh when Coach O is mentioned because he reminds me so much of Choachoate. Results aside, you gotta like a "we do football now?" guy.

And as you said, he's knows he's not a doctor. I always assumed he had at least gone to med school.

PlayerRep said:
dupuyer griz said:

I thought they had herd mentality.

fanofzoo said:
PlayerRep said:

I thought they had herd mentality.

That's what I meant. Didn't I say that?

Bully for the Big10.
All the bellyaching about not having a season is pretty selfish IMHO.
I don't think it's worth the risk to these kids just to entertain the fans. Sure it sucks. Sure they're missing a season that could help two or three get to the NFL.
But the simple fact is nobody knows if one kid, coach or staffer will die if they get Covid. And I don't think any of their lives are worth the risk.
And there's evidence out that serious long-term heart damage could happen, especially to people who exercise - even if they get asymptomatic or mild symptoms. I don't think any of those kids should suffer life-long damage that could be avoided just for one season of football.

I'm sure some (hopefully very few) eGrizzers would be fine to see a couple of people die so they could enjoy a season of college football from the comfort of their quarantine.
I'm not one of them.
It's not worth it.

Source to read about heart damage: https://www.wired.com/story/if-youve-just-had-covid-exercise-might-not-be-good-for-you/

with the extra year of physical and mental development the year-long delay will allow, i imagine there a quite a few of the 'kids' who will see their nfl potential and chances for being drafted increase. in the end, it will all even out, and life will go on... i just hope a year like 2020 doesn't get repeated for a long while. it has been tough and weird. hell, greenie is now so broke he had to sell the jet and buy a friggin' giant r.v.. that's how bad it's been.

Back