• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

HS Ball

Cuervohola

DONOR
I saw it on the news last night.

People, younger than College.

Running around with pads on. Two different teams at once. Playing each other.

Full speed. No masks. It was weird.

I guess the people that make decisions for them aren't worthless shitbags like the BSC.

AZGrizFan said:
They don’t have the testing requirements colleges do.

Ok. How many Griz or other BSC players tested positive? Besides, if they do, put them into quarantine.

Cuervohola said:
AZGrizFan said:
They don’t have the testing requirements colleges do.

Ok. How many Griz or other BSC players tested positive? Besides, if they do, put them into quarantine.

It’s not that. It’ the repeated and daily testing requirements and the cost associated with meeting those requirements that shot down most of the FCS....

AZGrizFan said:
Cuervohola said:

It’s not that. It’ the repeated and daily testing requirements and the cost associated with meeting those requirements that shot down most of the FCS....

I never heard anything about daily testing, just 3 days before the game..

"Football players will be subject to a PCR test within 72 hours of competition. If a PCR test can't be performed within that window, games should be postponed, canceled or an alternate method of testing will be developed and agreed upon."

Ok, so alternate method... How about no test unless the player is running a fever?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-power-five-conferences-release-covid-19-minimum-testing-guidelines-for-2020-college-football-season/

AZGrizFan said:
Cuervohola said:

Right, that’s the problem. Shouldn’t force schools that can’t afford to do this not play.

Well, part of the BSC problem is that Washington, Oregon, and California schools still wouldn't be able to play. It is the same issue that the Pac12 is running into, so it is not only a BSC problem.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Well, part of the BSC problem is that Washington, Oregon, and California schools still wouldn't be able to play. It is the same issue that the Pac12 is running into, so it is not only a BSC problem.

This too. Blue states won’t play...one of the problems of having conferences that span thousands of miles, multiple states and time zones....

Here is a breakdown of who is playing and who isn't. In the case of SOME, it means that in at least one case, the conference LET THE TEAMS choose what they could do, unlike the nanny state BSC. I only saw that explanation once. I wish the UM president would tell the BSC that they need Montana more than Montana needs them, and Montana will play or they can go to Hell. That would take courage, balls, fortitude, etc...

So, how many SCIENTISTS have said that College aged people are at extreme risk from Covid??.......... Exactly, Crickets....

I want Football, I don't care if they play the Mississippi College of Yoga and Knitting.

1-A

AAC YES
ACC YES
BIG 12 YES
BIG 10 (Vote as soon as Sunday 9/13)
CONF USA YES
MAC NO
MWC NO
PAC 12 NO
SEC YES
SUNBELT YES

1-AA

BIG SOUTH SOME
CAA NO
IVY NO
MEAC NO
MVFC NO
NEC NO
OVC SOME
PATRIOT NO
PIONEER NO
SOUTHERN NO
SOUTHLAND SOME
SWAC NO

Cuervohola said:
I wish the UM president would tell the BSC that they need Montana more than Montana needs them, and Montana will play or they can go to Hell.

Pretty sure we just learned that the Conference, with its current makeup, doesn't quite feel that way. Montana could have played, and by not, they proved the others correct.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Cuervohola said:
I wish the UM president would tell the BSC that they need Montana more than Montana needs them, and Montana will play or they can go to Hell.

Pretty sure we just learned that the Conference, with its current makeup, doesn't quite feel that way. Montana could have played, and by not, they proved the others correct.

All I remember is the BSC would maybe allow non conference games to be played. Well, THANK YOU for the permission to do what we want, Nanny State! That only reinforces my point. That being said, if Montana chose not to play at all until Spring or whenever the election is over, then I'm fine with that. It would be better than any Christmas gift if they ditched the conference, though.

What do you mean by "proved the others correct"? None of them are correct. Until the virus starts affecting the 1 percent of people in this country in tip top shape WHILE being 60 years younger than the normal demographic that it does affect, I'm sitting here ???? why we aren't talking about the Missouri State game.

Cuervohola said:
... I'm sitting here ???? why we aren't talking about the Missouri State game.
Why pick out just that one? Six FCS teams played FBS opponents today. That's close to a third of all the college football games played today.

FWIW: Two FCS opponents beat the betting line by a bunch, and Campbell (the "Fighting Camels") came within a blown (non-)call of pulling off an upset against Georgia Southern.

In any case, even with the limited (by design) crowds, most of the announcers were very happy with the product today (and so were we).

HelenaHandBasket said:
Cuervohola said:

Play who?

Cuervohola said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

All I remember is the BSC would maybe allow non conference games to be played.

What do you mean by "proved the others correct"?

Any of the BSC could have played games, the BSC was just not going to sponsor them. Montana, by going along with the conference decision, proved that the BSC did not need Montana more than they needed them.

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Play who?

Pretty sure they could have played any number of FCS schools that are playing games in the Fall. Hell, Missouri State played today.

HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:
Play who?

Pretty sure they could have played any number of FCS schools that are playing games in the Fall. Hell, Missouri State played today.
And since there would be no to very little revenue, who covers the expenses? Missouri St. played because they had a money game. If you're "pretty sure," you should have some real answers.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Cuervohola said:
All I remember is the BSC would maybe allow non conference games to be played.

What do you mean by "proved the others correct"?

Any of the BSC could have played games, the BSC was just not going to sponsor them. Montana, by going along with the conference decision, proved that the BSC did not need Montana more than they needed them.

That doesn't prove that Montana "needs" the BSC at all. I want to know if the powers that be tried to schedule games.

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
And since there would be no to very little revenue, who covers the expenses? Missouri St. played because they had a money game. If you're "pretty sure," you should have some real answers.

Except the OP wasn't talking about games that made financial sense, he was just bitching about not playing games.

Cuervohola said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

That doesn't prove that Montana "needs" the BSC at all. I want to know if the powers that be tried to schedule games.

No, because as Kem pointed out, it was not financially feasible.

I don't think it would have cost much to play a few games, if the Big Sky had allowed that. Most of the cost of football is already there. Scholarships. Coaches' salaries. Overhead in the athletic department. Recruiting.

Some donors would have had to step up a bit, but some revenue from tv (Cat v. Griz) and streaming. Maybe no fans, or a very small number. Special Grizware sold.

Maybe a few bus games in the region. Maybe even travel early in morning on day of game.

Not a long season, so no prolonged ncaa testing costs.

Hauck said he would have loved to play some games, if allowed.

Heck, if allowed, it could still be done now. 3 weeks of practice. MSU, maybe NDSU (money from tv), and another game in Idaho or Utah.

I agree that a season without fans, or many, plus charters and overnights, and NCAA testing, etc., would be too expensive.

Back