• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS Upsets Today (Kinda)

Who beats the spread?

• East. Kentucky at West Virginia [45.5]

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Campbell at Georgia Southern [34.5]

• Austin Peay at Pittsburgh [26.4]

• Missouri State at #5 Oklahoma [44.0]

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • The Citadel at South Florida [18.5]

• Houston Baptist at Texas Tech [40.0]

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

IdaGriz01

There are a half-dozen money games (FCS at FBS) today, five of which are actually being broadcast. Not one looks even close to being competitive and several could be huge blowouts. Just for fun I searched around to see what the lines might be … and they were mostly all over the place. I finally went with the ESPN chart, since that seems fairly representative.

Here’s the deal. The numbers in brackets are how much the home FBS team is favored, according to ESPN. This poll is about which FCS team might beat the spread on their game. I myself find some of the numbers a bit on the high side. The talent difference may as big as the numbers suggest (or even more ;) ). The key question is: Will the FBS coach keep "the pedal to the metal" that long?

Only one choice allowed, but you can change your mind if you learn something before game time. (Not fair to change after the game starts. :( )

Well, those who put money on Eastern Kentucky beating the ESPN spread (45.5) just missed. Final score was 56-10. Give the spread guys credit ... they had it figured just right. ;)

Interesting. At the moment, my pick is looking pretty good. But if so, I had it right for the wrong reason. I rather thought that GA Southern wouldn't run up the score on the FCS Campbell Camels. But at the moment (6 min left in Q1), the Camels lead 13-3. (2 TDs, but missed a PAT). That's quite a hole when you're favored by 34.5.

Wow! Except for a blatant no-call in favor of the home team, the Campbell-GaSo game would have been an actual upset. One of the announcers had the nerve to say (more or less), "Well yeah, he grabbed the receiver around the waist ... but he let go right away." The receiver still had a chance to catch the 2-point conversion pass, but it was just out of reach after that. Otherwise, Campbell wins 28-27. (At least they beat the spread :lol: :lol: )

IdaGriz01 said:
Wow! Except for a blatant no-call in favor of the home team, the Campbell-GaSo game would have been an actual upset. One of the announcers had the nerve to say (more or less), "Well yeah, he grabbed the receiver around the waist ... but he let go right away." The receiver still had a chance to catch the 2-point conversion pass, but it was just out of reach after that. Otherwise, Campbell wins 28-27. (At least they did beat the spread :lol: :lol: )

Looks like one other FCS opponent will beat the spread, big time. Houston Baptist scored and would have tied Texas Tech, 35-35, if their 2-point try had worked. Even so, they have a bit over 3 min to get the ball back and kick a FG to actually win the game. Since T-Tech was the 40-point favorite, betters who had the guts to go against that spread will be making some $$$.

Back