• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

P5 Cancellation Inevitable?

Spanky2 said:
PlayerRep said:
Who's fault is this? Nursing homes, governors, state health officials, Trump?

"Nursing homes have been the center of America’s coronavirus pandemic, with more than 62,000 residents and staff dying from Covid-19 at nursing homes and other long-term care facilities, about 40 percent of the country’s virus fatalities."

Mortality rates by race per 100,000, as of Aug. 4

Black 80.4
Indigenous 66.8
Pacific Islander 55.7
Latino 45.8
White 35.9
Asian 33.1

"The risk of developing dangerous symptoms increases with age, with those who are age 85 and older at the highest risk of serious symptoms. In the U.S., about 80% of deaths from the disease have been in people age 65 and older. Risks are even higher for older people when they have underlying health conditions"

"a CDC study shows that of 3,734 adults hospitalized due to COVID-19 across the United States, 91.7% had at least one reported underlying medical condition. The most commonly reported were:

hypertension
obesity
chronic metabolic disease
cardiovascular disease"
I would think that most Americans over the age of 50 have one of the underlying medical conditions that are commonly reported.

Yup, 40% of all adults in the US.

Looks like about 78% of Americans over 55 have underlying conditions. This was from a 2008 CDC report. Suppose it could be higher now. This included "arthritis and asthma. Don't think both of them are covid underlying conditions.

PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:
I would think that most Americans over the age of 50 have one of the underlying medical conditions that are commonly reported.

Yup, 40% of all adults in the US.

Looks like about 78% of Americans over 55 have underlying conditions. This was from a 2008 CDC report. Suppose it could be higher now. This included "arthritis and asthma. Don't think both of them are covid underlying conditions.

So it would seem that those that would be at risk of attending public events, should already know that they will be at risk and not attend those public events. I’d think it should be safe for the rest of us to go ahead and attend those public events. That is unless you don’t want to catch a cold.

AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:
invoking a bunch of stuff that hasn't been enforced, temporarily and in order to stem the effects of a pandemic, is now a power grab? what power are they grabbing? plus, i thought states were supposed to be in charge? and sure, i won't alter (or end? pffft) my existence to save you. but you might be accidentally saved by people taking precautions, sorry about that, it can't be helped.

having said that, if your contention is that the government has not had a coherent policy and screwed the pooch with how the pandemic has been addressed, i'd agree.

If you don’t see it as a power grab, then there’s no helping you.

telling me to wear a mask that i don't have to wear unless i'm going into a business that mandates it is a power grab? what is a power grab is knee-capping the postal service to try to increase your chances of winning an election it looks like you are going to lose, this time with the electoral college as well as the popular vote (again).

argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:

telling me to wear a mask that i don't have to wear unless i'm going into a business that mandates it is a power grab? what is a power grab is knee-capping the postal service to try to increase your chances of winning an election it looks like you are going to lose, this time with the electoral college as well as the popular vote (again).

I don't think anyone is knee-capping the postal service. Read a bit deeper. Also, the postal service merely told states to make sure that they set their deadlines consistent with what the post office does, in terms of time of service. What's so hard about having the states move up its deadlines a bit? The communication sent had been planned for a long time and was sent before Trump said anything about funding.

"The letters predate President Donald Trump's most recent attacks on mail-in voting, including on Thursday when he said he opposed giving billions in funding to the postal service because doing so would allow increased mail-in voting." CNN.

"Most states were informed in late July by the service's general counsel that postal service analysis suggests local deadlines for requesting and returning ballots did not allow for enough time based on delivery estimates.

The letters varied based on state rules, with a few states deemed to having sufficient time built in, according to the postal service assessment. Only Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon and Rhode Island were informed by USPS that they shouldn't expect problems, according to the letters." CNN.

"Certain deadlines concerning mail-in ballots, particularly with respect to new residents who register to vote shortly before Election Day, appear to be incongruous with the Postal Service's delivery standards," USPS General Counsel Thomas Marshall wrote to California Secretary of State Alex Padilla. "This mismatch creates a significant risk that some ballots will not be returned by mail in time to be counted under your laws as we understand them." CNN.

"News broke Friday that the U.S. Postal Service has warned dozens of states, via letters from USPS General Counsel Thomas Marshall, that their deadlines “for requesting and casting mail-in ballots are incongruous with the Postal Service’s delivery standards.” On cue, Democrats and the press portrayed this as evidence of Trumpian sabotage and voter suppression.

In reality, it’s closer to the opposite: an attempt by the USPS to forestall state election failure. The letters were planned before the new Postmaster General, Louis DeJoy, took the reins on June 15. Mr. Marshall sent nearly identical advice to election officials in a May letter posted at USPS.com. Strange public conspiracy.

“To account for delivery standards and to allow for contingencies (e.g., weather issues or unforeseen events), voters should mail their return ballots at least 1 week prior to the due date,” Mr. Marshall wrote in May. The same rule, he added, should apply to blank ballots: “The Postal Service also recommends that state or local election officials use FirstClass Mail and allow 1 week for delivery to voters.”

Journal

argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:

Setting up Checkpoints.
Shutting off power and water to those "not complying"
Implementing and Extending mandates unnecessarily
Forcing businesses to close (with no rhyme or reason)
Violating constitutional rights

Yeah. We're headed towards Nazi Germany, but it's all just about a mask.

Wake the fuck up, argh.

AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:

Setting up Checkpoints.
Shutting off power and water to those "not complying"
Implementing and Extending mandates unnecessarily
Forcing businesses to close (with no rhyme or reason)
Violating constitutional rights

Yeah. We're headed towards Nazi Germany, but it's all just about a mask.

Wake the [#]f### up, argh.

A better analogy would be China's 'Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution.' Our Red Guards are Antifa and BLM.

maroonandsilver said:
The CFL just cancelled their 2020 season.

more tea leaves. No sports = no revenue
No revenue= catastrophic debt

Who takes it on the chin? The athletes, the coaches, the owners, the broadcasters and everybody who works for them, the stadium workers, the refs, the stadium surrounding businesses and hotels, the UBER drivers, convenience stores, local hookers and pimps? That's right, ALL OF THEM.

Will there be too much apathy to restart next year? Will the fans return?

Can anyone Make Athletics Great Again?

horribilisfan8184 said:
maroonandsilver said:
The CFL just cancelled their 2020 season.

Who takes it on the chin? The athletes, the coaches, the owners, the broadcasters and everybody who works for them, the stadium workers, the refs, the stadium surrounding businesses and hotels, the UBER drivers, convenience stores, local hookers and pimps? That's right, ALL OF THEM.

The entire world is taking it on the chin from the virus, except the Mr. Pillow guy, it seems. We have to wait until there is a successful vaccine which should be available by the end of this year. Until then, likely little organized sports of any type will be seen at any level. I don’t think there will be too much apathy to restart next year and I believe fans will return with enthusiasm.

Spanky2 said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

Until then, likely little organized sports of any type will be seen at any level.

Ive been watching NBA playoffs. Baseball has been great. Hockey too. NFL will be a go too I bet. Would love to see the ACC, SEC and Big12 pull it off this fall as well. More states than not are gearing up for high school football. And for icing on the cake, the Masters in November!

ilovethecats said:
Spanky2 said:
Until then, likely little organized sports of any type will be seen at any level.

Ive been watching NBA playoffs. Baseball has been great. Hockey too. NFL will be a go too I bet. Would love to see the ACC, SEC and Big12 pull it off this fall as well. More states than not are gearing up for high school football. And for icing on the cake, the Masters in November!

Billings announced yesterday no spectators at fall football games for high school.

Spanky2 said:
ilovethecats said:

Billings announced yesterday no spectators at fall football games for high school.

Yep. I imagine lots of teams at all levels will go that route. I think we'll see some step up and let limited fans in as well. But they're playing. As they should.

Spanky2 said:
ilovethecats said:

I've heard Missoula County won't allow HS football in the county this year. Not sure if all sports.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

I don't think anyone is knee-capping the postal service. Read a bit deeper. Also, the postal service merely told states to make sure that they set their deadlines consistent with what the post office does, in terms of time of service. What's so hard about having the states move up its deadlines a bit? The communication sent had been planned for a long time and was sent before Trump said anything about funding.

"The letters predate President Donald Trump's most recent attacks on mail-in voting, including on Thursday when he said he opposed giving billions in funding to the postal service because doing so would allow increased mail-in voting." CNN.

"Most states were informed in late July by the service's general counsel that postal service analysis suggests local deadlines for requesting and returning ballots did not allow for enough time based on delivery estimates.

The letters varied based on state rules, with a few states deemed to having sufficient time built in, according to the postal service assessment. Only Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon and Rhode Island were informed by USPS that they shouldn't expect problems, according to the letters." CNN.

"Certain deadlines concerning mail-in ballots, particularly with respect to new residents who register to vote shortly before Election Day, appear to be incongruous with the Postal Service's delivery standards," USPS General Counsel Thomas Marshall wrote to California Secretary of State Alex Padilla. "This mismatch creates a significant risk that some ballots will not be returned by mail in time to be counted under your laws as we understand them." CNN.

"News broke Friday that the U.S. Postal Service has warned dozens of states, via letters from USPS General Counsel Thomas Marshall, that their deadlines “for requesting and casting mail-in ballots are incongruous with the Postal Service’s delivery standards.” On cue, Democrats and the press portrayed this as evidence of Trumpian sabotage and voter suppression.

In reality, it’s closer to the opposite: an attempt by the USPS to forestall state election failure. The letters were planned before the new Postmaster General, Louis DeJoy, took the reins on June 15. Mr. Marshall sent nearly identical advice to election officials in a May letter posted at USPS.com. Strange public conspiracy.

“To account for delivery standards and to allow for contingencies (e.g., weather issues or unforeseen events), voters should mail their return ballots at least 1 week prior to the due date,” Mr. Marshall wrote in May. The same rule, he added, should apply to blank ballots: “The Postal Service also recommends that state or local election officials use FirstClass Mail and allow 1 week for delivery to voters.”

Journal

you are pointing out how voting would become more difficult - isn't that knee capping? not everybody has the luxury of time like you and i do.

the post office provides a vital service. your law firm would have been nothing without it. but trump has been kneecapping it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/11/post-office-bailout-trump/

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

Journal

you are pointing out how voting would become more difficult - isn't that knee capping? not everybody has the luxury of time like you and i do.

the post office provides a vital service. your law firm would have been nothing without it. but trump has been kneecapping it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/11/post-office-bailout-trump/

The announced changes were to help get the PO's operation to meet the lower demand that has declined substantially in the last decade, and for more efficiency. Now, the head of the PO has said that no changes will be made until after the elections.

Here are some PO stats:

"Although the Postal Service has slowly whittled down its offices and workforce during the past two decades, revenue-generating services have declined much more rapidly. Since 2000, the overall volume of mail handled annually has fallen by 31.4%, from 207.9 billion pieces to 142.6 billion in 2019. First-class mail, a profitable service, has declined by 33.6% in the past decade. Package delivery has increased substantially but has not filled the gap.

The USPS has not turned a net profit since 2006. Between 2007 and March 31 of this year, the service has incurred cumulative losses of $83.1 billion, only some of which is attributable to expenses within the control of management. It owes more than $11 billion to the U.S. Treasury and $59 billion in mandatory but unpaid contributions to employee pension and retiree health funds, as Pew Research notes.

[For example, the PO doesn't need as many letter sorter machines as it used to.]

Only a handful of states vote exclusively by mail, and few are proposing to join them. But some 40% or 50% of Americans have said in polls that they’d prefer to vote by mail this year; only about 24% voted by mail or absentee in 2016. More ballots will reach voters too late to be returned on time. Four years ago, about 1% of mail-in ballots were rejected for this and other reasons. This year, the share could be high enough to make a difference in contested states.

[The point is that the states need to change their dates for mail-in voting, if they want to ensure that there is plenty of time to vote by mail. What's so hard about doing that?]

Reforming the USPS raises difficult social questions, too. More than 23% of its employees are black, compared with 13% for the overall U.S. workforce. While veterans make up 6% of the workforce, the Postal Service employs more than 100,000 of them, about 16% of its employees.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/putting-aside-politics-on-the-post-office-11597770716?mod=opinion_featst_pos3

The WaPost article you linked was April 11. Long ago. The Dems tried to stick the PO into the Virus Relief bill. Mnuchin rejected it. What does the PO have to do with virus relief?]

"New study says the coronavirus pandemic could end sooner than we thought

Coronavirus herd immunity may be closer than we thought, according to some scientists.

They have adapted their mathematical models to take into account real-life factors that impact the spread of the virus in a community.

Some told The New York Times that herd immunity could be achieved once 50% of a community is immune to infection via exposure or vaccination — others believe the number could be significantly lower than that.

Dr. Anthony Fauci said in a recent interview he expects life to return to normal in late 2021, and that a combination of public health measures and vaccines would be needed to control America’s COVID-19 epidemic. A few days earlier, Bill Gates said he expects developed nations to contain the illness by late 2021 as well, once vaccines are widely available.

A series of distinct studies, some of which have yet to be peer-reviewed, indicate that COVID-19 immunity is a lot better than we thought. Even in the absence of antibodies, which are almost undetectable in asymptomatic and mild COVID-19 survivors, the body does elicit a robust immune response that could deal with subsequent exposure to the virus.

While researchers can’t say how long the immunity lasts, there have been no cases of confirmed reinfection in the eight months since it all started in Wuhan.

The New York Times reports that more than a dozen scientists say the threshold might really be around 50%, or maybe even less than that. If that turns out to be accurate, then the pandemic might be easier to contain, especially once vaccines can be deployed widely. The estimates are based on “complicated statistical modeling of the pandemic” that take divergent approaches and offer “inconsistent estimates.” Therefore, herd immunity can’t yet be proven for any community. The Times explains that parts of New York, London, and Mumbai already have “substantial immunity” to the virus.

These scientists realized that the original 60%-70% calculation for herd immunity doesn’t take real-life events into account. That figure is said to have assumed that each community member has the same susceptibility to the virus, which isn’t the case.

Once these factors are accounted for in herd immunity studies, the herd immunity percentages fall. Some researchers say the figure could go as low as 10% to 20%, but those estimates come from a minority of researchers who talked to The Times.

If the first coronavirus wave infects the most susceptible people, immunity could be achieved even more efficiently than with a vaccination campaign, said Stockholm University mathematician Tom Britton. His model says that 43% is enough for herd immunity.
The average infection rate for New York is 21%,

Not all patients who recover from COVID-19 have high levels of neutralizing antibodies in their bloodstreams, and they might get false negatives in antibody surveys. This would directly impact herd immunity conclusions, but in a good way. The number of infected people in a community could be much higher than what researchers can prove with existing antibody tests.

On a related note, if COVID-19 herd immunity is reached at a lower percentage than initially believed, then even a vaccine that’s just 50% effective might be good enough for public use in the first immunization stages. Dr. Anthony Fauci said he hopes vaccine efficacy will surpass 75% while cautioning that we won’t know the figure until Phase 3 trials are complete."

Read in BGR: https://apple.news/AnE5GZQa7TP-nBXtirN2dFw

[I wonder if people can take multiple vaccines, and get higher immunity. They are generally different, and some have much different approaches.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

The announced changes were to help get the PO's operation to meet the lower demand that has declined substantially in the last decade, and for more efficiency. Now, the head of the PO has said that no changes will be made until after the elections.

Here are some PO stats:

"Although the Postal Service has slowly whittled down its offices and workforce during the past two decades, revenue-generating services have declined much more rapidly. Since 2000, the overall volume of mail handled annually has fallen by 31.4%, from 207.9 billion pieces to 142.6 billion in 2019. First-class mail, a profitable service, has declined by 33.6% in the past decade. Package delivery has increased substantially but has not filled the gap.

The USPS has not turned a net profit since 2006. Between 2007 and March 31 of this year, the service has incurred cumulative losses of $83.1 billion, only some of which is attributable to expenses within the control of management. It owes more than $11 billion to the U.S. Treasury and $59 billion in mandatory but unpaid contributions to employee pension and retiree health funds, as Pew Research notes.

[For example, the PO doesn't need as many letter sorter machines as it used to.]

Only a handful of states vote exclusively by mail, and few are proposing to join them. But some 40% or 50% of Americans have said in polls that they’d prefer to vote by mail this year; only about 24% voted by mail or absentee in 2016. More ballots will reach voters too late to be returned on time. Four years ago, about 1% of mail-in ballots were rejected for this and other reasons. This year, the share could be high enough to make a difference in contested states.

[The point is that the states need to change their dates for mail-in voting, if they want to ensure that there is plenty of time to vote by mail. What's so hard about doing that?]

Reforming the USPS raises difficult social questions, too. More than 23% of its employees are black, compared with 13% for the overall U.S. workforce. While veterans make up 6% of the workforce, the Postal Service employs more than 100,000 of them, about 16% of its employees.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/putting-aside-politics-on-the-post-office-11597770716?mod=opinion_featst_pos3

The WaPost article you linked was April 11. Long ago. The Dems tried to stick the PO into the Virus Relief bill. Mnuchin rejected it. What does the PO have to do with virus relief?]

i intentionally linked an older article, to emphasize how long the problem has been going on, and how long it has been ignored.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

Here are some PO stats:

i intentionally linked an older article, to emphasize how long the problem has been going on, and how long it has been ignored.

The problem has been going on for at least a decade. If letter volume is down 33%, what's wrong with returning a few sorting machines? The PO warned most states that their deadlines may not be long enough. Why don't the states fix the deadlines? Why is that so hard? And, why can't people get a ballot in the mail or otherwise, and just fill it out and mail it back right away.

I can see why the remaining P5 conferences are holding out to play. There is a crap load of money on the line. However, the recent findings of heart damage, even when a person is asymtomatic, will force their lawyers to into a rethinking of this situation. All it would take is one or two law suits and a University could be bankrupt. There is money on both sides of this line. So, as a conference, are you feeling lucky, punk.

Back