• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

P5 Cancellation Inevitable?

kemajic said:
Griz2k said:
Interesting, the writer seems to underplay the role of social distancing in Sweden, when its population density is closer to MT than to CA or NY.

Sweden's density is 63 people per square mile. MT's is 7.

Sweden has about 10.1 million people. 12% of the population lives in rural areas.

Stockholm has 1.63 million people. 2.4 million live in the metro area.

Stockholm has density of 13,000 per sq mile in 2016. The density of NYC is 27,000 (not sure what the year was).

Sweden has had mostly elderly die. Their system either couldn't handle that demographic or let them go. As of Aug. 6, 5150 people 70 and older had died. Under 650 in the age groups below that.

I think I saw articles saying Stockholm's virus death rate was way better than NYC's. Will have to look more.

Griz2k said:

Alright, Sweden. Settle down. We get it. You managed COVID just a bit worse than U.S. "hotspot" LA County so far with the same population and a thousand more deaths. In fact, between LA, Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties, there have been just over 7,000 deaths with a population around 18 million.
Kinda seems like Sweden would spike the ball after a decent punt. You can go back to everyone forgetting that you exist now.

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz2k said:

Alright, Sweden. Settle down. We get it. You managed COVID just a bit worse than U.S. "hotspot" LA County so far with the same population and a thousand more deaths. In fact, between LA, Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties, there have been just over 7,000 deaths with a population around 18 million.
Kinda seems like Sweden would spike the ball after a decent punt. You can go back to everyone forgetting that you exist now.

:lol:

Griz2k said:
CDAGRIZ said:

:lol:

I'm sure you know, but just to be clear, I didn't mean you. I meant Sweden.

PlayerRep said:
behappp said:
https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/09/ncaa-cardiac-inflamation-coronavirus-myocarditis-concerns

Interesting article and issue. So, while death possible, 3 months to recover from the heart thing is what the article said.

The heart issue comes from the Covid, not football. So, any person or college kid or college athlete who gets covid, has the risk, as small or not-small as it may be.

I wonder how the risk compares to CTE, or to lingering issues from multiple concussions, or from dying on the field from heat exhaustion and various heart conditions, or injuries causing paralysis, or just plain bad injuries that take way longer than 3 months to recover from. Or from dying from an accident driving to school. Heck, I wonder how many college kids die from the flu that they get at college.

Not to minimize anything, but risk should always be quantified, as best as can be done at the time, and put into perspective.

I just looked it up, traffic deaths year to date 108. COVID year to date deaths in Montana 75. Bottom line is we as a society have lost our critical thinking skills. Very sad state of affairs. The majority of people are terrified of disagreeing with what the national news media says we should believe.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
Interesting, the writer seems to underplay the role of social distancing in Sweden, when its population density is closer to MT than to CA or NY.
You're half right. The MT density is 7.4; Sweden 24.98.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ffhtxw

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

One would think a country boy like you would know the difference between a square kilometer and a square mile. From your link:

:Sweden · Population density (people per sq. km of land area)
24.98 (2018)"

BillingsMafia said:
PlayerRep said:
Interesting article and issue. So, while death possible, 3 months to recover from the heart thing is what the article said.

The heart issue comes from the Covid, not football. So, any person or college kid or college athlete who gets covid, has the risk, as small or not-small as it may be.

I wonder how the risk compares to CTE, or to lingering issues from multiple concussions, or from dying on the field from heat exhaustion and various heart conditions, or injuries causing paralysis, or just plain bad injuries that take way longer than 3 months to recover from. Or from dying from an accident driving to school. Heck, I wonder how many college kids die from the flu that they get at college.

Not to minimize anything, but risk should always be quantified, as best as can be done at the time, and put into perspective.

I just looked it up, traffic deaths year to date 108. COVID year to date deaths in Montana 75. Bottom line is we as a society have lost our critical thinking skills. Very sad state of affairs. The majority of people are terrified of disagreeing with what the national news media says we should believe.

Seriously, back to comparing traffic deaths and Covid related deaths like they are the same....LOL

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

One would think a country boy like you would know the difference between a square kilometer and a square mile. From your link:

24.98 (2018)"

:thumb:

grizindabox said:
BillingsMafia said:

Seriously, back to comparing traffic deaths and Covid related deaths like they are the same....LOL

What's being compared is the level of risk. In states like MT, as well as in college football in my opinion, comparing the level of risk makes sense.

Almost half of MT's deaths are in elder care homes. So far, people outside of elder care homes in MT, i.e. people who drive or ride in cars, are much more likely to die from a car accident than the virus.

Do you not understand what level of risk means?

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

What's being compared is the level of risk. In states like MT, as well as in college football in my opinion, comparing the level of risk makes sense.

Almost half of MT's deaths are in elder care homes. So far, people outside of elder care homes in MT, i.e. people who drive or ride in cars, are much more likely to die from a car accident than the virus.

My grandpa always said, "Some people! If they don't know, you just can't tell 'em."

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

The level of risk isn't even comparable. There are laws, like speed limits, wearing seat belts, and for driving impaired, that are intended to reduce risk along with numerous other items. For Covid, we have some mandates to wear masks and socially distance. Not sure how you can compare level of risk with differences like that. Also, I wonder what the numbers are of people 70+ that die in car accidents compared to Covid this year....

"Although it’s classified as rare, myocarditis is a form of heart disease that affects thousands of American adults and children each year.

Myocarditis is characterized by the inflammation of the heart muscle, which enlarges and weakens the heart. Scar tissue often develops from this inflammation, forcing the heart to work harder as it pumps blood and oxygen throughout the body. Some of the common symptoms of myocarditis include chest pain, abnormal heart rhythm, and shortness of breath.

Uniquely, this disease often affects young, athletic people but can also develop in infants, children, and adults of all ages."

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

24.98 (2018)"
Ouch! I'm just not right these days. It's a long story.

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

The level of risk isn't even comparable. There are laws, like speed limits, wearing seat belts, and for driving impaired, that are intended to reduce risk along with numerous other items. For Covid, we have some mandates to wear masks and socially distance. Not sure how you can compare level of risk with differences like that. Also, I wonder what the numbers are of people 70+ that die in car accidents compared to Covid this year....

The level of risk is very comparable. The driving laws, which many people don't follow, at least at times, is quite comparable to the rules relating to Covid.

I wonder what the risk of younger people dying from covid is, compared to car accidents.
Answer, way more likely to die from car accidents, especially in states like MT.

We are also talking about college athletes, not 70 year olds.

Not sure how you can't understand level of risk.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

24.98 (2018)"

I had to double or triple check each time I was looking up stats. One of the first time I've caught you in something like this. Usually, you catch me.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

I had to double or triple check each time I was looking up stats. One of the first time I've caught you in something like this. Usually, you catch me.

I can do it again; simple arithmetic converts 24.98/sq km to 54.3/sq mi. We're both unreliable.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

I can do it again; simple arithmetic converts 24.98/sq km to 54.3/sq mi. We're both unreliable.

Nope, your math or assumption is wrong. Not even close. A KM is .62 of a mile.

Back