• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Time to Face the Facts: There Ain’t Gonna be Fall Football

Will there be fall football in the Big Sky Conference in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Bobcats Suck

Votes: 38 46.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Grizbeer said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Masks don't work? Would you trust MIT Medical's assessment? [media]https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/07/do-cloth-masks-work[/media] How about the Mayo Clinic? [media]https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449[/media] No? How about Stanford Medicine? [media]https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/06/stanford-scientists-contribute-to-who-mask-guidelines.html[/media] The primary source of transmission is aerial not from surfaces. Not sure where your fart test info comes from but it wasn't mentioned by MIT, Mayo, or Stanford...

How about UIC

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commentary-masks-all-covid-19-not-based-sound-data

I guess there are all sorts of experts.
my guess is that folks will read whatever they would like to hear. btw the commentary didn't conclude that masks shouldn't be worn nor that they aren't effective but that the studies of mask efficacy are limited. they also expressed concern that folks might believe that wearing a mask is a substitute for social distancing yet all guidance that I've read combines mask wearing with distancing. finally i'd point to those countries where the guidelines we're familiar with have been implemented and well-observed; how are they doing, say, compared to the US right now? i wish you good health!

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Grizbeer said:
How about UIC

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commentary-masks-all-covid-19-not-based-sound-data

I guess there are all sorts of experts.
my guess is that folks will read whatever they would like to hear. btw the commentary didn't conclude that masks shouldn't be worn nor that they aren't effective but that the studies of mask efficacy are limited. they also expressed concern that folks might believe that wearing a mask is a substitute for social distancing yet all guidance that I've read combines mask wearing with distancing. finally i'd point to those countries where the guidelines we're familiar with have been implemented and well-observed; how are they doing, say, compared to the US right now? i wish you good health!

Which countries are you referring to?

"116 workers at Big Sky construction site test positive"

"The outbreak at the $400 million Montage Big Sky in the Spanish Peaks Mountain Club is among the largest in Montana.

The majority of the workers who tested positive are located in Gallatin County. Others live in Carbon, Lewis and Clark, Missoula, Park and Yellowstone counties,

All of the workers who tested positive were asymptomatic and had passed a temperature check before testing positive, according to Suffolk Construction.

Suffolk Construction has conducted 885 tests at the Montage Big Sky and will continue to test workers at regular intervals, following a strategy provided by the private lab it is working with, Nickel said.

The Montage Big Sky construction site was also associated with six cases in late March."

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/coronavirus/116-workers-at-big-sky-construction-site-test-positive/article_a174ace7-9a70-5a1a-9723-a0781b578cc3.html

PlayerRep said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:

[media]https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-lockdowns/[/media]

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
PlayerRep said:

[media]https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-lockdowns/[/media]

Thx. Interesting. As of mid-July.

If I am reading this right, Canada and the US have had similar restrictions.

Italy and France had more restrictions for a few months.

Germany similar to US, but a bit less restrictive.

Belgium more restrictive than US for about 3 months.

Russia and Spain more restrictive than US for several months.

Norway a bit more restrictive than US for a while, but now less restrictive.

UK and Austria more restrictive than US for a while.

Denmark about the same as US.

Netherlands more restrictive for a while.

Sweden less restrictive.

A number of European countries less restrictive starting in July.

I'm not sure what your/our point is. Is it the sentence above this one?

Belgium, UK, Spain, Italy and Sweden currently have more deaths per capita. Germany has far fewer per capita.

PlayerRep said:
"116 workers at Big Sky construction site test positive"

"The outbreak at the $400 million Montage Big Sky in the Spanish Peaks Mountain Club is among the largest in Montana.

The majority of the workers who tested positive are located in Gallatin County. Others live in Carbon, Lewis and Clark, Missoula, Park and Yellowstone counties,

All of the workers who tested positive were asymptomatic and had passed a temperature check before testing positive, according to Suffolk Construction.

Suffolk Construction has conducted 885 tests at the Montage Big Sky and will continue to test workers at regular intervals, following a strategy provided by the private lab it is working with, Nickel said.

The Montage Big Sky construction site was also associated with six cases in late March."

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/coronavirus/116-workers-at-big-sky-construction-site-test-positive/article_a174ace7-9a70-5a1a-9723-a0781b578cc3.html
116 people tested positive and not one had symptoms...fucking wild.

Grizbeer said:
Fun fact - on July 9th Missoula passed an emergency rule requiring masks because in the last 30 days the county had added 63 cases, doubling the total number of cases to 123. I believe Missoula has very high compliance with the mask order, better than other areas in the State I have been by far.

Missoula now has 234 total cases, meaning in the 3 weeks since mask became mandatory we have added 111 cases.

From the beginning of June until July 9th we averaged less than 3 new cases per day. In the week before the mask requirement we added 24 cases or 3.4 per day. Since the mask requirement we have averaged 5.3 cases per day.

Probably doesn’t mean anything, but I have noticed the narrative on mask is evolving from it will stop the spread of the virus to “you won’t get as sick”.

Again I’m not advocating people don’t wear mask or saying they don’t work or are not somewhat effective.

The rate of spread of the number of cases is 0.9 in Missoula compared to 1.5 for the state of Montana. Missoula is on the low end of rate of spread which, to me, is indicative on how well masks help in controlling the spread. This info is from the Missoulian quoting Ellen Leahy, Director of the health department.

TrueGriz said:
Grizbeer said:
Fun fact - on July 9th Missoula passed an emergency rule requiring masks because in the last 30 days the county had added 63 cases, doubling the total number of cases to 123. I believe Missoula has very high compliance with the mask order, better than other areas in the State I have been by far.

Missoula now has 234 total cases, meaning in the 3 weeks since mask became mandatory we have added 111 cases.

From the beginning of June until July 9th we averaged less than 3 new cases per day. In the week before the mask requirement we added 24 cases or 3.4 per day. Since the mask requirement we have averaged 5.3 cases per day.

Probably doesn’t mean anything, but I have noticed the narrative on mask is evolving from it will stop the spread of the virus to “you won’t get as sick”.

Again I’m not advocating people don’t wear mask or saying they don’t work or are not somewhat effective.

The rate of spread of the number of cases is 0.9 in Missoula compared to 1.5 for the state of Montana. Missoula is on the low end of rate of spread which, to me, is indicative on how well masks help in controlling the spread. This info is from the Missoulian quoting Ellen Leahy, Director of the health department.

Where did Ellen Leahy go to medical school?

WaGriz4life said:
TrueGriz said:

Well, since she is a RN and not a MD, I would say no where. Did someone state she did? Where did you go to medical school?

TrueGriz said:
Grizbeer said:

Hasn't Missoula had a higher rate of cases since the mask order? Not saying they are related, but the cases haven't declined since the order.

grizindabox said:
WaGriz4life said:

Well, since she is a RN and not a MD, I would say no where. Did someone state she did? Where did you go to medical school?

He probably went to the same med school as she did, and the same one you and I did.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

He probably went to the same med school as she did, and the same one you and I did.

My assumption also...so he must be a RN.

PlayerRep said:
TrueGriz said:

Hasn't Missoula had a higher rate of cases since the mask order? Not saying they are related, but the cases haven't declined since the order.

Actually I misinterpreted the information wrong. 0.9 is the rate of spread not the rate of increase in number of cases. 1 infected person spreads to 0.9 people. Montana average is 1.5 which is where 1 infected person will spread it 1.5 other people. Each infected person is transmitting the disease to fewer than 1 other person in Missoula. So while cases have increased, the spread of the disease is still slower than what it is on average in the state.

TrueGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Actually I misinterpreted the information wrong. 0.9 is the rate of spread not the rate of increase in number of cases. 1 infected person spreads to 0.9 people. Montana average is 1.5 which is where 1 infected person will spread it 1.5 other people. Each infected person is transmitting the disease to fewer than 1 other person in Missoula. So while cases have increased, the spread of the disease is still slower than what it is on average in the state.

A R-value under 1 is a good deal.

TrueGriz said:
Missoula certainly has done a better job of containing the virus than a couple other counties in Montana. Do you know what the R value was on July 9th? It would be interesting to know if it has decreased significantly since the mask order went into place.

Grizbeer said:
TrueGriz said:
Missoula certainly has done a better job of containing the virus than a couple other counties in Montana. Do you know what the R value was on July 9th? It would be interesting to know if it has decreased significantly since the mask order went into place.

Not sure. It may have stayed the same. Just good contact tracing and getting people to quarantine quickly so they do not infect anybody else. Possibly it could be a lot of people in Missoula county being proactive and getting tested so they do not spread the disease to anyone else.
Missoula's cases have been spread out throughout the entire county and I do not think an assisted living center or Jail has been affected much yet. Hope it doesn't. Do not want what happened in Yellowstone county to happen here. On the other hand, the percentage of tests coming back positive is greater this week than the last.
anyway the link to this info is from the Missoulian here:
https://missoulian.com/news/local/missoula-county-may-see-rapid-results-next-week-for-covid-19-tests/article_ff9579b8-f8f2-5b46-b856-e355ae993af4.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Since Missoula is going to have more rapid testing, I expect the number of cases to go up but that may be a positive in that they could get the people that test positive into quarantine faster and keep the spread down further than it would be otherwise.

Since the number of cases has increased so much recently, I assume the R factor has increased in Missoula since the mask order. Not to say that the masks caused that.

In my view, Missoula county, and the state earlier, has been too cautious. Has hurt more business and the economy than was necessary. As I have said, essential business was not the right dividing line. Safe should have been the dividing line. No round robin sports tournaments seemed unnecessary, and that is still the case, I assume. Locking down playgrounds initially wasn't necessary.

Missoula and MT were dealt good hands. There presumably have been many good things done. The death rates and hospitalization rates are still low.

The big problems have been the 2 elder care outbreaks and Big Horn county. Don't know what has occurred in Big Horn county. Assume some of that has spilled into Billings.

I wish there was more publicity on exactly how the spread and outbreaks are occurring in MT. I think we could learn what to watch out for and avoid. Has there been much spread in bars? How does spread occur at weddings. If it lots of hugging, or is it just mingling within 6 feet with no mask? Has there been any spread with haircutting? Any spread in restaurants, other than among employees? Any spread in MT churches?

PlayerRep said:
mcg said:
The problem is that those players infected interact with other humans and infect them.

Do you think players not playing football don’t interact with people? Heck, at least, most UM players would be in Missoula and not home infecting their parents and grandparents. And, during the season, they are supposed to stay out of downtown bars.

For example, they would interact with other humans at the grocery store. They won't be in a bubble.

Back