• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Time to Face the Facts: There Ain’t Gonna be Fall Football

Will there be fall football in the Big Sky Conference in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Bobcats Suck

Votes: 38 46.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
EverettGriz said:
I wonder if Herman Cain's family wishes he had taken the risks more seriously and worn a mask and socially distanced at the OK rally.

You can't fault people who love what they are doing and know the risks. No one would sky dive, rock climb, surf, boat, bungee jump, box, hang glide, climb trees or parkour if they thought like this. No one would be a police officer, firefighter or join the military if they thought like this. I'm not afraid to die and I have lots of life insurance, just like did Herman Cain.

horribilisfan8184 said:
EverettGriz said:
I wonder if Herman Cain's family wishes he had taken the risks more seriously and worn a mask and socially distanced at the OK rally.

You can't fault people who love what they are doing and know the risks. No one would sky dive, rock climb, surf, boat, bungee jump, box, hang glide, climb trees or parkour if they thought like this. No one would be a police officer, firefighter or join the military if they thought like this. I'm not afraid to die and I have lots of life insurance, just like did Herman Cain.

Does anyone sky dive without a chute?

I don’t blame Cain for going to the rally. I blame him for not taking basic precautions.

horribilisfan8184 said:
EverettGriz said:

Of course most people would take the precautions available with everything you mentioned. But I get it, wearing a mask and social distancing are just such a big burden.

grizindabox said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

..., wearing a mask and social distancing are just such a big burden.

Or infringing on their constitutional rights.

EverettGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
I don't necessarily disagree EG. People are acting like idiots for sure. I was speaking to the deaths part of it. It seems more than fair to me that when a person is using the deaths as a barometer for how scary the virus is like Spanky did, people can counter that fact with how many people die from other reasons. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to do that. It doesn't mean we're not taking anything seriously, that we're happy people are dying, that we're downplaying the virus. All it means is if you're going to be spouting off about how many people have died from the virus, (almost all old and sick), I will spout off about people dying of cancer, heart disease, suicide and car accidents.

I understand the argument. It's just that the vast majority of Covid deaths were PREVENTABLE, if people would simply take reasonable actions to stem it. But as Dup said, once it became political.....

What should have been done to prevent the over 40% of deaths in elder homes, and by whom?

Spanky2 said:
Cats, as I recall, from the very beginning you were cute, clever about the virus. Even bragged about how you and your employees continued to shake hands. The virus is a lethal potential agent of death unleashed on us by Xi. Why do you continue to compare the virus deaths to automobile deaths? It is a virus that has far surpassed deaths caused by automobiles.
A part of me likes your cavalier attitude as I’ve expressed, but probably when I remember being young and not giving a damn.
Spank I don't know that I'd classify it as cute. Probably not even clever. I certainly never bragged about anything that myself or my staff has done throughout this.

I have made it a point to know that as the operator of "essential" businesses, myself and my staff have been working every day of the week since March. We didn't wear masks until we were instructed to because in the beginning we were told not to. I always found it funny that people were telling me just how terrible the virus was, and that I wasn't taking it seriously enough. Even though apparently we have been on deaths door every day. People really care about this virus, but they don't give a shit about the people working in it. But hey, I'm way better off than the thousands that couldn't work, and now those that have lost their businesses all together.

I do really worry about the old and vulnerable people who are actually in some danger from this virus. I worry about my grandmother every day. She's in that 65 and over category that makes up over 80% of the deaths so far. So don't take my attitude as not caring. I just don't think it warrants the panic or attention it has gotten so far. At least not in most areas of the country. Obviously some areas are way worse off than others.

I don't mean to compare car accidents to the virus per se. You are correct that the virus will kill more people than accidents this year. But car accidents are here to stay. They'll kill FAR more people than the virus will in the next few years. Mainly I compared them today because you mentioned that 54 people have died in our beautiful state. Does that not sound crazy to you? We shut down our state, took away our kids educations, people lost jobs and homes, for something that has killed 54 people. So to me it seems like a fair statement to point out that over 100 people have died on our roads this year. You are the ones who mentioned the deaths in our state....

Again, my attitude is only as "cavalier" as the statistics dictate they should be. If I was 85 I'd likely have a different viewpoint than I do at 40. And my teenage kids probably have a different take than I do. As they should in my opinion. All people and all places are not the same here.

ilovethecats said:
Spanky2 said:
Cats, as I recall, from the very beginning you were cute, clever about the virus. Even bragged about how you and your employees continued to shake hands. The virus is a lethal potential agent of death unleashed on us by Xi. Why do you continue to compare the virus deaths to automobile deaths? It is a virus that has far surpassed deaths caused by automobiles.
A part of me likes your cavalier attitude as I’ve expressed, but probably when I remember being young and not giving a damn.
Spank I don't know that I'd classify it as cute. Probably not even clever. I certainly never bragged about anything that myself or my staff has done throughout this.

I have made it a point to know that as the operator of "essential" businesses, myself and my staff have been working every day of the week since March. We didn't wear masks until we were instructed to because in the beginning we were told not to. I always found it funny that people were telling me just how terrible the virus was, and that I wasn't taking it seriously enough. Even though apparently we have been on deaths door every day. People really care about this virus, but they don't give a shit about the people working in it. But hey, I'm way better off than the thousands that couldn't work, and now those that have lost their businesses all together.

I do really worry about the old and vulnerable people who are actually in some danger from this virus. I worry about my grandmother every day. She's in that 65 and over category that makes up over 80% of the deaths so far. So don't take my attitude as not caring. I just don't think it warrants the panic or attention it has gotten so far. At least not in most areas of the country. Obviously some areas are way worse off than others.

I don't mean to compare car accidents to the virus per se. You are correct that the virus will kill more people than accidents this year. But car accidents are here to stay. They'll kill FAR more people than the virus will in the next few years. Mainly I compared them today because you mentioned that 54 people have died in our beautiful state. Does that not sound crazy to you? We shut down our state, took away our kids educations, people lost jobs and homes, for something that has killed 54 people. So to me it seems like a fair statement to point out that over 100 people have died on our roads this year. You are the ones who mentioned the deaths in our state....

Again, my attitude is only as "cavalier" as the statistics dictate they should be. If I was 85 I'd likely have a different viewpoint than I do at 40. And my teenage kids probably have a different take than I do. As they should in my opinion. All people and all places are not the same here.

Thanks, cats. Well thought out answer.

EverettGriz said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

I don’t blame Cain for going to the rally. I blame him for not taking basic precautions.

No, they don't jump without a chute.

But what's your point and analogy to defense against the Covid? What action does anyone take, or not take, with Covid, that would cause sure death, like jumping without a chute.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

But what's your point and analogy to defense against the Covid? What action does anyone take, or not take, with Covid, that would cause sure death, like jumping without a chute.
I guess everyone going to bars and restaurants currently are pretty much jumping out of a plane without a chute. :shock: ;)

ilovethecats said:
uofmman1122 said:
Sounds like you're getting it. :thumb:

Hey, I've ALWAYS gotten it! No doubt lockdowns and closures work. Hell, I'd close down schools for two years just to be safe. Kids will be fine! Shut down all businesses and restaurants again for sure. And especially bars, they are the most dangerous. Don't worry about the economy, it will be fine. Hopefully they just keep sending people money for a couple more years. No way that will lead to anything bad.

And masks. MASKS! I don't know how long we'll be asked to wear them, but whatever it is....it's not enough. Obviously if every person wore them every day for the rest of their lives that'd be ideal. I don't know if that's realistic though. But I do think we should wear them for at least 5 years just to be safe.

I'd put a 3-5 year ban on all sports, music and any form of entertainment too. Just to be safe. Did you know that over 50 people have died in Montana from this virus in the last 5 months?! Is that really something we can tolerate. If I'm not mistaken it's the leading cause of death in the state since March. It HAS to be right?!

Let's lock it down! Be safe!
We only needed a 2-month lockdown back in March, but people like you advocated for "getting things open and back to spending money as soon as possible" before we had adequately handled the virus, the irony being that we'd already be open and spending money now if we had taken it seriously.

We're looking at probably another 6-12 months of being internationally isolated and dealing with Covid, while most of the rest of the world starts to go back to normal.

Hey, but at least you get to make all the sarcastic hyperbolic posts you want for the foreseeable future. :thumb:

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:

I guess everyone going to bars and restaurants currently are pretty much jumping out of a plane without a chute. :shock: ;)

I wouldn't jump out of a plane with multiple chutes, but I'm fine going in some restaurants and a few bars that I know and where there is plenty of space and no crowding. I go out of my way to avoid crowded places. If there is a choice, I eat outside. I jump off our deck at the lake without a chute. Maybe I should get one.

uofmman1122 said:
ilovethecats said:
Hey, I've ALWAYS gotten it! No doubt lockdowns and closures work. Hell, I'd close down schools for two years just to be safe. Kids will be fine! Shut down all businesses and restaurants again for sure. And especially bars, they are the most dangerous. Don't worry about the economy, it will be fine. Hopefully they just keep sending people money for a couple more years. No way that will lead to anything bad.

And masks. MASKS! I don't know how long we'll be asked to wear them, but whatever it is....it's not enough. Obviously if every person wore them every day for the rest of their lives that'd be ideal. I don't know if that's realistic though. But I do think we should wear them for at least 5 years just to be safe.

I'd put a 3-5 year ban on all sports, music and any form of entertainment too. Just to be safe. Did you know that over 50 people have died in Montana from this virus in the last 5 months?! Is that really something we can tolerate. If I'm not mistaken it's the leading cause of death in the state since March. It HAS to be right?!

We only needed a 2-month lockdown back in March, but people like you advocated for "getting things open and back to spending money as soon as possible" before we had adequately handled the virus, the irony being that we'd already be open and spending money now if we had taken it seriously.

We're looking at probably another 6-12 months of being internationally isolated and dealing with Covid, while most of the rest of the world starts to go back to normal.

Hey, but at least you get to make all the sarcastic hyperbolic posts you want for the foreseeable future. :thumb:

I can't speak to the rest of your post, but I do agree that I was one that wanted things open. I hated seeing people lose their jobs and homes. That really sucks. I hated seeing kids already struggling in school lose the last 3 very important months of a school year. I was definitely of the opinion that a full shutdown wasn't necessary.

So I'll ask this. Since "people like me" were so wrong about not wanting everything shut down, can you explain why now, when we have WAY more cases than we did in March, April, May etc., are we not completely shut down again? Is it because masks will do the trick? Would masks not have done the trick in the spring?

It seems to me, based on what I'm seeing today, that "people like me" may have been right in March. We may have been able to get a handle on this thing without completely ruining lives and crushing the economy.... :eek:

grizindabox said:
TrueGriz said:
Or infringing on their constitutional rights.

Can you point me to the legal decision that backs this up?

Didn't say there was. But I have read a few articles including in the Missoulian about anti mask demonstrators complaining about their constitutional rights from being ordered to wear a mask. You need to ask them about that.

grizindabox said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

Of course most people would take the precautions available with everything you mentioned. But I get it, wearing a mask and social distancing are just such a big burden.

If you can smell a fart though your mask it is worthless against the virus. If you can fart with your mask over your ass and others can smell it, your mask is worthless. Have you watched the rioters? 90% that wear masks don't wear them correctly. They are caring people but their actions in wearing a mask are worthless. If you sneeze with mask on and reflexively cover with your hand and have the virus, you will spread it by hand which is how this virus primarily spreads.

Stay inside until a vaccine is developed, that is your choice, but leave the rest of us alone that want to live while we are alive. And in two years when they still don't have one that is effective, one of us will have smugly wasted two years of their life.

TrueGriz said:
grizindabox said:
Can you point me to the legal decision that backs this up?

Didn't say there was. But I have read a few articles including in the Missoulian about anti mask demonstrators complaining about their constitutional rights from being ordered to wear a mask. You need to ask them about that.

Not sure that I do.

horribilisfan8184 said:
grizindabox said:

If you can smell a fart though your mask it is worthless against the virus. If you can fart with your mask over your ass and others can smell it, your mask is worthless. Have you watched the rioters? 90% that wear masks don't wear them correctly. They are caring people but their actions in wearing a mask are worthless. If you sneeze with mask on and reflexively cover with your hand and have the virus, you will spread it by hand which is how this virus primarily spreads.

Stay inside until a vaccine is developed, that is your choice, but leave the rest of us alone that want to live while we are alive. And in two years when they still don't have one that is effective, one of us will have smugly wasted two years of their life.
Masks don't work? Would you trust MIT Medical's assessment? [media]https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/07/do-cloth-masks-work[/media] How about the Mayo Clinic? [media]https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449[/media] No? How about Stanford Medicine? [media]https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/06/stanford-scientists-contribute-to-who-mask-guidelines.html[/media] The primary source of transmission is aerial not from surfaces. Not sure where your fart test info comes from but it wasn't mentioned by MIT, Mayo, or Stanford...

uofmman1122 said:
ilovethecats said:

I don't agree with much of your post. It's more complicated than that.

I don't think Cats or anyone else on the board advocated completely opening everything, or opening without following the guidelines. In point of fact, many states opened up without following the administration's guidelines. Probably a mistake. Don't think anyone suggested or anticipated that the younger crowd, or some it, would go wild in the bars, at the lakes and on beaches, and at parties. That was a mistake, which probably should have been anticipated. I didn't see any leaders, or scientists, or governments speaking up and warning ahead of time.

My view is that overly strict lockdowns caused pent up demand among kids and adults, and that's why so many people went out on Memorial Weekend and to beaches. I blame some of that on the leaders who overly locked down.

I'm not aware that any said to forget social distancing, but some did.

The damage to economy during the lockdown was minus $2.2 trillion. That's incredible huge. Hope it doesn't continue.

Most of the deaths have been in the bigger Northeastern states, as well as Ill, Michigan and PA (about 85,000), and in elder homes. Subtract out that say 110,000 deaths and the rest of the country looks better, even the Sunbelt states.

NYC isn't even fully open now. Don't think indoor dining or bars. Not museums or Broadway. Building and businesses can open, but no one is coming to one. I think I read that only 10% in some buildings in Manhattan. Not many using public transportation.

As for international, many countries are going to have to open up to the US for economic reasons.

See this recent Wa Post article on the Amalfi Coast in Italy.

"With American tourists banned from Italy, Amalfi Coast workers are sliding into poverty"

"Americans are by far the most important nationality for the area, according to regional government data, accounting for 25 percent of the total visitors to the province of Salerno, home to the Amalfi Coast. More than 40 percent of the people who last year checked into five-star Amalfi hotels were from the United States.

"That will depend to a large extent on how quickly the United States can bring the virus under control and persuade Europe to let Americans visit once again.

In some tourist-dependent parts of Italy, domestic travelers have made up for some of the losses. But the Amalfi Coast, which grew over the decades into a vacation empire, depends on people coming from far away — people splurging on once-in-a-lifetime trips, or those with the money to come every summer. In a normal year, foreigners outnumber Italians almost six to one.

In June, with Europeans again able to travel between countries on the continent, tourism in the province was nonetheless down 80 percent. The Amalfi Coast now fills up on weekends but has a sleepier, neighborhood feel otherwise."

[My family was booked to the Amalfi Coast in June for a few days. An airbnb (see link), not a 5-star hotel.]

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/19649048?location=Amalfi%20Coast%2C%20Italy&poi_place_id=924407&source_impression_id=p3_1580755148_6L5IKe7repf4AbaH&check_in=2020-06-14&check_out=2020-06-17&guests=3&adults=3

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

Masks don't work? Would you trust MIT Medical's assessment? [media]https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/07/do-cloth-masks-work[/media] How about the Mayo Clinic? [media]https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449[/media] No? How about Stanford Medicine? [media]https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/06/stanford-scientists-contribute-to-who-mask-guidelines.html[/media] The primary source of transmission is aerial not from surfaces. Not sure where your fart test info comes from but it wasn't mentioned by MIT, Mayo, or Stanford...

How about UIC

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commentary-masks-all-covid-19-not-based-sound-data

I guess there are all sorts of experts.

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

John Hoyt, when addressing jurors in voir dire, always asked jurors to use commons sense when evaluating "expert" testimony. He would ask them, if you were standing next to a raging ice cold river in the spring, and could see it was well over your head, would you listen to 4 experts and wade in if they told you it was safe to cross?

Check the micron size of covid virus against a fart droplet and get back to us.

And I have checked the "masks work" studies. Conclusion, they work when combined with 6 foot social distancing-- the same as keeping social distancing of 6 feet. Do they not teach critical thinking any more?

Back