• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Seattle-ization of Boz Angeles

EverettGriz said:
gariz battin' 1.000 in this thread.

He certainly is. And, even better, he’s making the Bizon poster think he’s got a no-no through 8 even though Gariz has taken him yard four times. That’s the kind of thing that cannot be learned; one has it, or not. Gariz has the juice in spades.

IntuitiveGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
I think Everett is one of the many political nut jobs in the Seattle area. Seattle is trying hard to run a lot of businesses and people out of the state. If WA wasn't a no-income tax state, more people and businesses would be gone already.

I have an Aunt and Uncle currently moving out of Seattle (Kirkland, WA) as we speak. After living there for many decades (a retiree from Texaco), they can't stand Seattle any longer. They used to love it, but say it has changed way too much (and not for the good).

I have a brother-in-law who went to South Kitsap, spent over twenty years in the Navy and spent most of that time on Whidbey Island who absolutely loves that area. Me? Army ROTC Advanced Camp at Fort Lewis was more of that area than I could stand. Hate everything about that area almost as much as the transplants that inhabit Bozeangeles. My personal preference is anyplace that doesn't rain every day and the skies are always blue. Again, personal preference and to each their own.

I also love SEC football and all the tradition surrounding those schools and hate the PAC 10 and Mountain West sandlot air raid bullshit. (I did love watching Joe Douglass make all those unbelievable catches though!). Can't wait to see how the Mississippi schools do...

CDAGRIZ said:
EverettGriz said:
gariz battin' 1.000 in this thread.

He certainly is. And, even better, he’s making the Bizon poster think he’s got a no-no through 8 even though Gariz has taken him yard four times. That’s the kind of thing that cannot be learned; one has it, or not. Gariz has the juice in spades.

Agreed. All Star game MVP level shit.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
... My personal preference is anyplace that doesn't rain every day and the skies are always blue. Again, personal preference and to each their own.

I also love SEC football and all the tradition surrounding those schools and hate the PAC 10 and Mountain West sandlot air raid bullshit. (I did love watching Joe Douglass make all those unbelievable catches though!). Can't wait to see how the Mississippi schools do...
Happy that we never had to live in a big metro area after graduating from San Jose State. Visited plenty when I had my "day job." About the only plus was that driving in heavy traffic is kinda like riding a bicycle: Once you learn, you don't forget, although it might take a day to re-adjust. For me, Seattle used to be one of those "nice place visit, wouldn't want to live here" spots. That hasn't changed. FWIW, coastal Washington is a great place to visit, from the Straits to the Columbia River.

Turning to football (hope that's allowed? :lol: ): One of the things we like about college football is the variety. The NFL has gotten better in recent years, but for me, there's a drab "sameness" in what I see there. Obviously, the talent is off the charts, but that's not enough to hold my interest. And far too often, teams seem to be "playing not to lose." I know, the stakes are too high to take chances ... boorrring. That's why they need lots of gambling and "fantasy" leagues to pump up fan enthusiasm.

I have no problem with the "air raid," or any other scheme ... as long as it works. I will admit to a preference for scoring, but even SEC football has proven that you can play tough, hard-nosed football and still score points. As it happens, we too love the traditional feeling you get with SEC football. My wife has relatives in Montgomery, Alabama, and we spent two years in Tuscaloosa when I did a postdoc at UA. Somewhere in our photo files I have a "personal" shot of Bear up in his tower.

IdaGriz01 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
... My personal preference is anyplace that doesn't rain every day and the skies are always blue. Again, personal preference and to each their own.

Happy that we never had to live in a big metro area after graduating from San Jose State. Visited plenty when I had my "day job." About the only plus was that driving in heavy traffic is kinda like riding a bicycle: Once you learn, you don't forget, although it might take a day to re-adjust. For me, Seattle used to be one of those "nice place visit, wouldn't want to live here" spots. That hasn't changed. FWIW, coastal Washington is a great place to visit, from the Straits to the Columbia River.

Turning to football (hope that's allowed? :lol: ): One of the things we like about college football is the variety. The NFL has gotten better in recent years, but for me, there's a drab "sameness" in what I see there. Obviously, the talent is off the charts, but that's not enough to hold my interest. And far too often, teams seem to be "playing not to lose." I know, the stakes are too high to take chances ... boorrring. That's why they need lots of gambling and "fantasy" leagues to pump up fan enthusiasm.

I have no problem with the "air raid," or any other scheme ... as long as it works. I will admit to a preference for scoring, but even SEC football has proven that you can play tough, hard-nosed football and still score points. As it happens, we too love the traditional feeling you get with SEC football. My wife has relatives in Montgomery, Alabama, and we spent two years in Tuscaloosa when I did a postdoc at UA. Somewhere in our photo files I have a "personal" shot of Bear up in his tower.

Although the Army first took me to Georgia, I returned of my own volition after separating from active duty. Atlanta traffic wasn't too bad when I first got stationed there (Augusta-Richmond County is larger now than Atlanta was). That bottleneck by Tech is and always was a pain.

I much prefer sitting in the stands watching baseball now than the NFL. What I enjoyed about the south was being able to go 100 miles in any direction and see a decent football game on Saturday. The high schools always got a handful of comp tickets.

Holidays were always unique because the relatives went to virtually all the SEC or ACC schools whether as an undergrad or grad school. Lots of yelling and great times. I miss all that but fortunately Denver isn't too far from Montana so I can still get my sports fix when a decent team is in town to kick the crap out of the Rockies or Donkeys...plus I have a lot of relatives whose kids got work in the Denver area after they graduated from college.

There are advantages to being close to a metropolitan area but I'm still just a Montana hick at heart.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
SACCAT66 said:
1) MOSU??? 70% of the top Montana High School seniors from class of 2020 chose MSU. I know there are a lot of out of state kids as well, but that is how colleges make money. Even your president is pushing to get more out of state kids.

2) I was born and raised in Bozeman, and Belgrade has always been called that. When I was in High School kids called it "belowgrade". I really like Belgrade now, and think it is 1-2 really good restaurants short of being Great.

Princess Waded recruited heavily from out of state and now less than half the students in attendance are from Montana. Montana residents are getting ripped off because it may pad the Princess budget but those students create wear and tear on the communities, the infrastructure , the law enforcement and social services while they are here. They leave the state for high paying jobs and their earnings support the state of residence.
This can also be said of in and out of state students in architecture and engineering. Montana residents provide the facilities to educate them but they pay taxes only where they reside after graduating. It's time to limit the size of the engineering and architecture programs.

What Waded has done at MSU is what good management is all about vs the opposite that has happened at UM. Also, out of State students and their families spend money in Bozeman and Montana during their time here. What is happening at MSU is also attracting the majority by far of the top students in the State. It is a good thing!

bigsky33 said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
Princess Waded recruited heavily from out of state and now less than half the students in attendance are from Montana. Montana residents are getting ripped off because it may pad the Princess budget but those students create wear and tear on the communities, the infrastructure , the law enforcement and social services while they are here. They leave the state for high paying jobs and their earnings support the state of residence.
This can also be said of in and out of state students in architecture and engineering. Montana residents provide the facilities to educate them but they pay taxes only where they reside after graduating. It's time to limit the size of the engineering and architecture programs.

What Waded has done at MSU is what good management is all about vs the opposite that has happened at UM. Also, out of State students and their families spend money in Bozeman and Montana during their time here. What is happening at MSU is also attracting the majority by far of the top students in the State. It is a good thing!
I’m so glad you’re here. I have so many questions.

So is your above post why Gallatin is MT’s epicenter—all the outta-staters?

With the recent outbreak in the football team’s locker room, and all the quarantining, sounds like they won’t be on schedule to start the season, if at all. It’s undisputed now—Choach has lost the locker room.

Is it true that COVID in the Gallatin comes with a nasty rash? Seriously, I’ve heard that. Do they call it cat scratch fever?

Also, is it true that Choach refuses to wear a mask, but prefers his custom welding helmet with the dark visor removed? With those eyes, does he look like a crazy Darth Vader?

bigsky33 said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

Don't most of the top students in MT go out of state? Ivies. Stanford. MIT. Chicago. UCLA, Berkeley, even USC. I see that 2 kids from Loyola are going to Cornell.

bigsky33 said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

I can't believe I'm agreeing with bigsky33, but the idea that UM wouldn't love to double its enrollment, even if all of those students then left Montana after graduating to work in tech hubs never to spend another dime in Montana is laughably insane.

The alternative being that none of those students come to UM, and the same amount of money is spent in Montana by graduates that didn't end up coming here regardless. lol

[name of city] might be good for some people, but I don’t like it because [reason]. I could never live there with all the [persons/places/things].

I thought everyone should know this about me because I think I’m super interesting and I have everything figured out, if you ask me.

Edit: Obviously, this doesn’t apply to Bozeman, Cheney, and/or Fargo, and other places that objectively suck.

CDAGRIZ said:
[name of city] might be good for some people, but I don’t like it because [reason]. I could never live there with all the [persons/places/things].

I thought everyone should know this about me because I think I’m super interesting and I have everything figured out, if you ask me.

Edit: Obviously, this doesn’t apply to Bozeman, Cheney, and/or Fargo, and other places that objectively suck.

:lol: :clap:

Heard the Senator say this morning that $61K is being redirected from the Bozeman police dept, and $300K in Helena.
Sounds like there will be a cash-for-carhartts drive too so Bozo’s can finally shed the hillbilly stigma

garizzalies said:
Heard the Senator say this morning that $61K is being redirected from the Bozeman police dept, and $300K in Helena.
Sounds like there will be a cash-for-carhartts drive too so Bozo’s can finally shed the hillbilly stigma

C for Cs is a good program, but it doesn’t produce overnight results. Bozos will still have to address the problem of casually carrying Leatherman’s Tools on belts, you know, “just in case I might have to fix something in this particular Applebee’s”.

PlayerRep said:
bigsky33 said:

Don't most of the top students in MT go out of state? Ivies. Stanford. MIT. Chicago. UCLA, Berkeley, even USC. I see that 2 kids from Loyola are going to Cornell.

Just going by the recent news report that 74% of the top HS students in Montana will be attending MSU this year. I would say that is a majority by far of the top students!

https://missoulian.com/news/local/montanas-top-high-school-seniors-opting-for-msu/article_4f3b55fe-68a1-58c1-af7d-c5b77fb1d4e5.html

bigsky33 said:
PlayerRep said:

Just going by the recent news report that 74% of the top HS students in Montana will be attending MSU this year. I would say that is a majority by far of the top students!

https://missoulian.com/news/local/montanas-top-high-school-seniors-opting-for-msu/article_4f3b55fe-68a1-58c1-af7d-c5b77fb1d4e5.html

I think we will see the pendulum shift as rail becomes even less common for travel and localized distribution networks for goods further driving down rail demand. Couple that with ever-increasing robotics tech, and we’ve got an issue. Will MSU gladly take your money? Absolutely. Will there be enough manned trains in 10 years? Doubtful.

CDAGRIZ said:
bigsky33 said:

I think we will see the pendulum shift as rail becomes even less common for travel and localized distribution networks for goods further driving down rail demand. Couple that with ever-increasing robotics tech, and we’ve got an issue. Will MSU gladly take your money? Absolutely. Will there be enough manned trains in 10 years? Doubtful.

You must have gleaned this knowledge from reading the Missoulian!

bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

No. I gleaned it from understanding that demand for manned locomotives is plummeting. Waded knows it, but will continue to sell a false and unsustainable bill of goods to the BOR so she can get more money for her lemonade stand the next year. The BOR, of course, will eat it up because they want it off their desk with the least amount of thought possible so they can make their 12:30 tee times and the early bird specials at Texas Roadhouse. So, Waded gets the budget, the papers print the stories, the kids follow each other trying to be the next Casey Jones, and poof. It’s gone. Waded retires and gets a statue for increasing enrollment, when basically all she did was convince a bunch of innocent kids that telegraph operation was a viable long term career choice whilst converting MSU into a for-profit institution.

CDAGRIZ said:
bigsky33 said:

No. I gleaned it from understanding that demand for manned locomotives is plummeting. Waded knows it, but will continue to sell a false and unsustainable bill of goods to the BOR so she can get more money for her lemonade stand the next year. The BOR, of course, will eat it up because they want it off their desk with the least amount of thought possible so they can make their 12:30 tee times and the early bird specials at Texas Roadhouse. So, Waded gets the budget, the papers print the stories, the kids follow each other trying to be the next Casey Jones, and poof. It’s gone. Waded retires and gets a statue for increasing enrollment, when basically all she did was convince a bunch of innocent kids that telegraph operation was a viable long term career choice whilst converting MSU into a for-profit institution.

I have to admit CDA, you are really on top of this. The Missoulian could really benefit by having you as one of their esteemed journalists.

CDAGRIZ said:
garizzalies said:

C for Cs is a good program, but it doesn’t produce overnight results. Bozos will still have to address the problem of casually carrying Leatherman’s Tools on belts, you know, “just in case I might have to fix something in this particular Applebee’s”.
This is so hilariously true.
I was flying out of Booseman a couple years ago and this typical Gallatin hillbilly in the TSA line ahead of me had a conniption fit when they told him he had to “surrender” his leatherman. Sounded like it was his first time flying and he could not believe they could not just hold on to it until he returned, like just put it in the lost and found for a while. He stepped out of the line mumbling something about how he’s never surrendered and never will.

Back