• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Revamped UM Student Recruitment

hokeyfine said:
PlayerRep said:
"Bodnar noted that out-of-state applications were up 33% over last year at this time."

Missoulian, earlier this week.

Looks like the new recruiting effort was working for out-of-staters.

I also think that UM may have the opportunity to get some press/credit for coming to UM, where there have been very few virus cases and almost no significant virus issues. Why would you let your kid go to school in NYC metro or other bigger cities or places where they has been a huge amount of virus? Even if you kid is young, healthy and not at risk, you may not want to go visit them at college. Why not have them go to UM, where there is lots of space, students can act more like college students, and families can feel comfortable visiting them?
i agree with what you're saying.... but.... as has been seen before, increase in applications hasn't translated to significant increase in attendance. maybe it will work out. also, i think as time goes people are going to be more comfortable and confident with covid eventhough nothing has changed. if those applications were early in the pandemic, they might be feeling better about the school they prefer.
I think the best opportunity that um has is to ramp up its online degrees and classes. this is the future. it doesn't help when the leader of this(i forgot his name) abruptly leaves to go back to his old job.

Yep. I'll be optimistic, but damn the past decade has made it difficult.

Berkeley_Griz said:
hokeyfine said:
i agree with what you're saying.... but.... as has been seen before, increase in applications hasn't translated to significant increase in attendance. maybe it will work out. also, i think as time goes people are going to be more comfortable and confident with covid eventhough nothing has changed. if those applications were early in the pandemic, they might be feeling better about the school they prefer.
I think the best opportunity that um has is to ramp up its online degrees and classes. this is the future. it doesn't help when the leader of this(i forgot his name) abruptly leaves to go back to his old job.

A significant increase in apps is obviously good news, but there are many more steps to take. It's relatively easy to increase application numbers, but are they quality applications. Other good info would be... Are admitted students up significantly? Are housing deposits up? Are orientation registration numbers up? Accepted Financial Aid Packages...etc, etc, etc. How did this affect returning students? Are the non-resident revenue drivers coming back in the fall?

I hope all Montana colleges are able to weather this COVID storm and come out of this unscathed.

If I were a parent of an 18 year old graduating senior, I'd probably recommend they defer admission for a year, or, if possible, spend a year at a local 2-year college, just until all of this COVID stuff blows over.

Couple of things regarding next year for UM. As a current UM student, last week I received an email from UM informing us that all students for the fall 2020 semester will have the choice to either attend in-person classes at UM, or take classes remotely from the comforts and safety of your home from anywhere in America. With out-of-state applications up 33%, this will give these out-of-state and even in-state kids the flexibility to choose what they want to do in the fall without hurting our enrollment numbers too bad, and actually having a positive impact in the fall.

Second of all, UM announced yesterday that UM is adding 3 degree programs in the tech sector this fall. One of which is now a degree program in Software Engineering. UM is finally starting to invest more in STEM and sink their teeth more into engineering. I don't know if this will have any positive impact on UM in the fall, but it is totally going to have a positive impact on UM in the long-run. Great job Bodnar!
https://twitter.com/SethBodnar/status/1268539070545686528

Griz til I die said:
Couple of things regarding next year for UM. As a current UM student, last week I received an email from UM informing us that all students for the fall 2020 semester will have the choice to either attend in-person classes at UM, or take classes remotely from the comforts and safety of your home from anywhere in America. With out-of-state applications up 33%, this will give these out-of-state and even in-state kids the flexibility to choose what they want to do in the fall without hurting our enrollment numbers too bad, and actually having a positive impact in the fall.

Second of all, UM announced yesterday that UM is adding 3 degree programs in the tech sector this fall. One of which is now a degree program in Software Engineering. UM is finally starting to invest more in STEM and sink their teeth more into engineering. I don't know if this will have any positive impact on UM in the fall, but it is totally going to have a positive impact on UM in the long-run. Great job Bodnar!

But I was told here on E-griz that STEM is a fad, and that STEM classes will eventually fade away.

SACCAT66 said:
Griz til I die said:

But I was told here on E-griz that STEM is a fad, and that STEM classes will eventually fade away.
I'm in the minority on egriz :lol:

wbtfg said:
Berkeley_Griz said:

A significant increase in apps is obviously good news, but there are many more steps to take. It's relatively easy to increase application numbers, but are they quality applications. Other good info would be... Are admitted students up significantly? Are housing deposits up? Are orientation registration numbers up? Accepted Financial Aid Packages...etc, etc, etc. How did this affect returning students? Are the non-resident revenue drivers coming back in the fall?
Yep

hokeyfine said:
PlayerRep said:
"Bodnar noted that out-of-state applications were up 33% over last year at this time."

Missoulian, earlier this week.

Looks like the new recruiting effort was working for out-of-staters.

I also think that UM may have the opportunity to get some press/credit for coming to UM, where there have been very few virus cases and almost no significant virus issues. Why would you let your kid go to school in NYC metro or other bigger cities or places where they has been a huge amount of virus? Even if you kid is young, healthy and not at risk, you may not want to go visit them at college. Why not have them go to UM, where there is lots of space, students can act more like college students, and families can feel comfortable visiting them?

All of those things start to improve with increased applications. The title of this thread was Revamped UM Student Recruiting.

When has increased applications, especially in the 33% range, not translated into a significant increase in students at UM?

I don't agree that online degrees and classes are the future for UM. In fact, I think moving in that direction too far, would result in the end of UM as we know it. Other schools are way ahead of the game in that area. UM should focus on its strengths, build/adjust to more strengths, and focus on what it can do best, where it can add value, and where it can distinguish itself. The setting of Missoula and Montana is a huge strength, especially in this time of virus.

When someone accepts a job, but keeps his old house and his wife continues to live there, there is obvious risk.

PlayerRep said:
hokeyfine said:

All of those things start to improve with increased applications. The title of this thread was Revamped UM Student Recruiting.

When has increased applications, especially in the 33% range, not translated into a significant increase in students at UM?

I don't agree that online degrees and classes are the future for UM. In fact, I think moving in that direction too far, would result in the end of UM as we know it. Other schools are way ahead of the game in that area. UM should focus on its strengths, build/adjust to more strengths, and focus on what it can do best, where it can add value, and where it can distinguish itself. The setting of Missoula and Montana is a huge strength, especially in this time of virus.

When someone accepts a job, but keeps his old house and his wife continues to live there, there is obvious risk.

Who got a new job, and why can't the wife live there? What?

PlayerRep said:
hokeyfine said:

I think a lot of that 33% increase can be attributed to signing on to the Common App program. Much easier for students to apply, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. As I said, UM should have a good projection of overall enrollment as well as new freshman enrollment by looking at all of the other metrics out there. I haven't seen any of those numbers released at this point.

If I were to predict, I’d say all 4 year colleges in the state will be down in enrollment.

SACCAT66 said:
PlayerRep said:

The newer UM dean who left recently to go back to Purdue, or whenever he had been.

wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:

I think a lot of that 33% increase can be attributed to signing on to the Common App program. Much easier for students to apply, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. As I said, UM should have a good projection of overall enrollment as well as new freshman enrollment by looking at all of the other metrics out there. I haven't seen any of those numbers released at this point.

If I were to predict, I’d say all 4 year colleges in the state will be down in enrollment.

What's your basis for thinking "a lot" of the 33% is attributable to a new common app program? If you just made this up, don't bother to respond.

PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:

What's your basis for thinking "a lot" of the 33% is attributable to a new common app program? If you just made this up, don't bother to respond.

Professional experience.

wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:

Professional experience.

I call BS on that. You have no professional experience with this common application, particularly in MT.

PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:

The newer UM dean who left recently to go back to Purdue, or whenever he had been.

You mean the guy they gave a boatload of money to and then he ups and leaves, that guy?

fanofzoo said:
PlayerRep said:

You mean the guy they gave a boatload of money to and then he ups and leaves, that guy?

I'm not aware that anyone was given a boat load of money. Tell us more.

Edit: Yes, that guy.

"Harbor was hired on a three-year contract at UM with an annual salary of $270,000 and $10,000 signing bonus."

PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:
Professional experience.

I call BS on that. You have no professional experience with this common application, particularly in MT.

It seems you’re assuming I’ve always lived/worked in Montana.

PlayerRep said:
fanofzoo said:

"Harbor was hired on a three-year contract at UM with an annual salary of $270,000 and $10,000 signing bonus."

I'll take that job.

AZDoc said:
PlayerRep said:

I'll take that job.

Can you kick?

Back