• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Whiskey

Bunch of bourbon amateurs is see. Nobody has mentioned Eagle Rare. Not only is it under $50. You can stack it up to any top dollar bourbon.

Also last time I was in Missoula I got Stagg Jr for $50 and that’s about as good as bourbon gets without getting into the special releases and antique collections.

This thread has given me enough ideas to last an entire football season, god willing we have it. Thank you all for your service.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Bunch of bourbon amateurs is see. Nobody has mentioned Eagle Rare. Not only is it under $50. You can stack it up to any top dollar bourbon.

Also last time I was in Missoula I got Stagg Jr for $50 and that’s about as good as bourbon gets without getting into the special releases and antique collections.

Lol. We're amateurs but you nominate the two most trendy bourbons out there. :lol:

Stuff has been around forever but it earns a couple awards and makes Whisky Advocate Magazine and suddenly they are amazing bourbons. To be fair they are good bourbons for sure. They just happen to be the bees knees right now and what everyone is talking about so people seem to think they might be better than they are. I put them in the same league as Weller 12yr and George T Stagg. Good bourbons, but more hype than anything.

It reminds me of the High West bourbon out of Park City. Pretty solid stuff. They have that Midwinter Night Dram that is decent, but not amazing. Similar to their straight bourbon. But they have created a cult following and people will pay $300+ for it. Just another fad whisky. I blame Pappy Van Winkle! ;)

Best thing about this is there is really no wrong answer. Lots of great whisky out there.

reinell30 said:
All these suggestions, I should have quite a variety at my tailgate this year!

Fingers crossed. By this time of year I'm always anxious for football to return, but it's magnified tenfold this year.

Berkeley_Griz said:
reinell30 said:
All these suggestions, I should have quite a variety at my tailgate this year!

Fingers crossed. By this time of year I'm always anxious for football to return, but it's magnified tenfold this year.

Think positive! We will have a season!

reinell30 said:
Berkeley_Griz said:

Think positive! We will have a season!
3StZvttjEY1h3jdGd86ROJeRqHRA7xl3ddlqnedpW4-4AW6Cgnve-1uSx7spOLXYmtXWmeiibGaUi3rd2XOWYQPXgjMs_2Q2WwFnsoyoOHoLUVQOELLQPSbkCOYK9szfQs3kKSDbxPCL-9IShr73pJvUjGkVXbPHeXcR

ilovethecats said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Knappogue Castle 12-year
That's an Irish I can hop on board with. Also a big fan of Teeling
"Ordinary" Jameson Irish whisky is pretty good, IMO. But they have a "triple distilled" "caskmates" line that is way, way better -- still a great taste but much smoother. (Yes, it's pricey.) Personally, I find a lot of "bourbon" whiskies too sweet-tasting.

ilovethecats said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Lol. We're amateurs but you nominate the two most trendy bourbons out there. :lol:

Stuff has been around forever but it earns a couple awards and makes Whisky Advocate Magazine and suddenly they are amazing bourbons. To be fair they are good bourbons for sure. They just happen to be the bees knees right now and what everyone is talking about so people seem to think they might be better than they are. I put them in the same league as Weller 12yr and George T Stagg. Good bourbons, but more hype than anything.

It reminds me of the High West bourbon out of Park City. Pretty solid stuff. They have that Midwinter Night Dram that is decent, but not amazing. Similar to their straight bourbon. But they have created a cult following and people will pay $300+ for it. Just another fad whisky. I blame Pappy Van Winkle! ;)

Best thing about this is there is really no wrong answer. Lots of great whisky out there.
And so little time...

I noticed no one has mentioned Sazerac Rye. That is the best damn true Rye I’ve had in this price range. It’s also cheap. About $30 a bottle in Portland.

Currently drinking Glenfiddich at our cabin on the Swan. Anyone else more of a scotch person than bourbon?

cclarkblues said:
Currently drinking Glenfiddich at our cabin on the Swan. Anyone else more of a scotch person than bourbon?
Well sorta. As I said in an earlier post, I find too many bourbons a bit sweet for my taste. Like an Irish or a scotch whisky, but not too crazy about a scotch heavy in peat (can you say fusel oil?)

Funny story: Long ago, on my day job, I gave a paper at a conference at Gatlinburg, Tenn, and then visited Oak Ridge National Lab. I was one of the few guys authorized to rent a car, and one of my passengers – who happened to stay in the same little motel – was a fellow from the Scottish nuclear plant at Dounreay. At the time (probably still is), you had to go to a state liquor store. So we went, and he said ... "I'm not looking for a taste of home, I wanted to try the 'drink of the country' instead." Given the relatively limited choice at the state store (this was a long time ago), I suggested some "Tennessee sippin' whiskey" in the form of a rye. Think it was Jack's, but -- as you might expect -- the old memory is a bit fuzzy. I know it seems a travesty, but we had just enough left from our fifth to split in our morning coffee for a bit of "the hair of the dog." That and a couple aspirin and we were ready for the day. Ran into him later at a conference in Paris, and he still remembered. :lol:

cclarkblues said:

Yup, my favorites are Abelour Abundah and Balvenie, but basically any of the Speyside scotches.

griz98 said:
cclarkblues said:

Yup, my favorites are Abelour Abundah and Balvenie, but basically any of the Speyside scotches.

I like the Balvanie too but I think it a little more.

I apologize if this factoid filled article has already been posted. As I don't touch the hard stuff anymore and I'm somewhat perplexed at what the craft beer people are doing, knowing PBR is now the only American owned and operated macro-brew, I skimmed this and felt you may find some decent information here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/23/americans-are-drinking-more-during-pandemic-craft-distillers-arent-getting-any-love/

The only reason I shared this is because I had to go to Boulder yesterday to look at apartment locations for a daughter-in-law being transferred from the D.C. office there and noticed all the kids partaking in healthy games such as beer pong after their long, exhausting bike rides. The whole town ought to just support forever and always Fat Tire it appears. I expect her to get the apartment just a block from Pearl Street with all the breweries and other "stuff" there and only a couple miles from her new office/lab. Plus, she better damn well finish the Ph.D. in the evenings so she can support us in the manner in which we want to be accustomed when we get older while laborously "working" as a college prof. and publishing her own articles instead of just doing the damn work for somebody else!

Is anybody doing this in Butte, Helena or Missoula?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/nyregion/coronavirus-harlem-hops-beer-nyc.html?action=click&module=Features&pgtype=Homepage

Back