• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

McGinnis MIGHT be back....

Griz90

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 BS, the internship for Griz safety Michael McGinnis fell through and there is a possibility he may return to Griz football this fall. This Griz fan sure hopes so! Waiting to see how this develops. His scholarship was redistributed so it's a bit up in the air right now is the way I hear it.

Original post from February 2020 - Sad to report special teams ace and safety Michael McGinnis is no longer participating in football for the Griz. Happy to report that the reason is because he has accepted (after being heavily recruited, never actually applying for) a very prestigious internship that will require more time than he could give and still remain in football. Michael is a fine Student-Athlete, recently receiving the President's Scholarship as the top male student-athlete in all the entire athletic department, having pulled down a 4.0 every semester at UM. I will miss watching him play for the Griz but wish him well in his future endeavors. The kid is going places....that's for SURE!

grizghost said:
..great news if true!...one would think a academic scholly be available!
Oh he's already got that. But the Football scholly picked up the rest of his total bill. And a LOT of work goes into being a football player - an incredible amount of time and dedication. Plus Michael maintains a 4.0 GPA so he already puts in an incredible amount of time on his studies. I wouldn't expect him to dedicate the required work on football without a scholarship. That's a lot to ask of a kid, and he's no walk-on. I'm hoping Bobby can make it work.

What bittersweet news, if true. Obviously would love to see him back as a Griz but man what a bummer to have an opportunity like that fall through. Hopefully it's not gone forever and he could get the internship again once things get back to normal?

Griz90 said:
grizghost said:
..great news if true!...one would think a academic scholly be available!
Oh he's already got that. But the Football scholly picked up the rest of his total bill. And a LOT of work goes into being a football player - an incredible amount of time and dedication. Plus Michael maintains a 4.0 GPA so he already puts in an incredible amount of time on his studies. I wouldn't expect him to dedicate the required work on football without a scholarship. That's a lot to ask of a kid, and he's no walk-on. I'm hoping Bobby can make it work.

What's he going to do if he isn't playing football?

BWahlberg said:
What bittersweet news, if true. Obviously would love to see him back as a Griz but man what a bummer to have an opportunity like that fall through. Hopefully it's not gone forever and he could get the internship again once things get back to normal?

...can it be shared the opportunity that he had?...and I'm sure he can use it on his resume...the kid's got a great future!

Summer internships are not happening much this summer.

"Another Casualty of the Coronavirus: Summer Internships

Like so much else, summer internships have been upended by the pandemic, with hundreds of companies canceling their programs and rescinding offers."

"But like so much else, summer internships have been upended by the pandemic, with a wide range of major companies, including tech firms like Yelp and entertainment behemoths like the Walt Disney Company, canceling programs and rescinding offers.

Students who had locked down internships as early as September are now jobless. Others who had hoped to experience an office setting for the first time are instead looking for work at fast-food restaurants. Many low-income undergraduates, already saddled with student loans, are concerned that a jobless summer could put them at a disadvantage in future application cycles, making it harder to find full-time work after graduation.

Some companies are continuing to pay interns to work from home, sending corporate laptops in the mail and holding get-to-know-you sessions over Zoom. But students fear that remote internships will not afford the networking opportunities that can make spending a summer in an office so valuable, especially for interns who have few professional contacts.

The cancellations have cut across virtually all industries, from media to technology to finance. But predictably, the industries that have suffered the most during the pandemic — travel, retailing, hospitality — have had especially large numbers of cancellations."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/business/coronavirus-summer-internships.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Back