• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2020-2021 potential scheduling...

Brother Bear

----------------------
Dayton Basketball
@DaytonMBB

Dayton is looking to start a series at HOME with a perennial at-large opponent. The potential dates are Nov 13/14, Nov 28/29, and Dec 11/12/13.

Please contact James Haring at [email protected] with interest
----------------------

While the Griz are not an at-large type team, we do pretty good at getting the Auto-bid :)
This would be a great home and home if Griz can make it happen.

Not going to do a home and home with us. Even so I'd love to see them play a Dayton at their place, seems success like they are achieving is where te Griz want to be. Be a great measuring stick for the program.

Brother Bear said:
----------------------
Dayton Basketball
@DaytonMBB

Dayton is looking to start a series at HOME with a perennial at-large opponent. The potential dates are Nov 13/14, Nov 28/29, and Dec 11/12/13.

----------------------

While the Griz are not an at-large type team, we do pretty good at getting the Auto-bid :)

Sorry we already have home dates with Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and UNC on those days

CleanHOUSE said:
Brother Bear said:
----------------------
Dayton Basketball
@DaytonMBB

----------------------

Sorry we already have home dates with Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and UNC on those days

The annual lose 4 and pick up a couple hundred grand road show for Travis and his wife and kids.

helenaumfan said:
Mouse,

Would you rather UM schedule a bunch of home games against NAIA teams?

No. I love the recent scheduling and creativeness of Decuire becoming pretty well paid. My post was intended to convey that I see Griz and Decuire continuing to have a very tough non-conference road schedule. Would be nice to get a one for two home and road arrangement with a bigger school. Also, amazed we've never played Krysko or Tinkle. Know that's probably more in the their "court" than Decuire's.

Home games vs. NAIA schools aren't all bad either. Carroll gave Griz a couple decent games in the past, Northern played OK for awhile and Tech put a hurt on the Griz this year.

I misunderstood the tone of your post. I took it as you thought Decuire was scheduling tough just to line his pockets and not to benefit the team.

I agree it would be great to bring stronger competition into Missoula, but the big schools have no incentive to come here.

helenaumfan said:
I misunderstood the tone of your post. I took it as you thought Decuire was scheduling tough just to line his pockets and not to benefit the team.

I agree it would be great to bring stronger competition into Missoula, but the big schools have no incentive to come here.

Well I would say "lining his pockets" is a major factor in the number of money games we play, not that there's anything wrong with that. TDC deserves a lot of money and this is a good way for the athletic department to ensure that we never get too far over our head while compensating him and his staff. Games against tough, major conference teams are also a great opportunity for exposure for the program and to battle test the team so the incentives of Travis and the program are still in line with this bonus system.

Also, as we all know, the attendance for the non con home games that we are losing out on by playing the Pac 12 games is never quite what we want anyways. Doesn't make a ton of sense to forgo $90k for a buy game in order to schedule home and homes against other small schools that will draw 3k in Dahlberg.

helenaumfan said:

This is the truth. Could we even get a two for one schedule deal from a Dayton or a Creighton? Pretty sure they are looking for peers or say a lower level Big Conference opponent. At least for now it's the program's lot in the pecking order. Hats off to them for taking on tough opponents, journeys and single steps and so on.

I really wish we would play Gonzaga every year. They are close to home, travel expenses would be less, and the competition is as good as it gets

Mousegriz said:
helenaumfan said:
Mouse,

Would you rather UM schedule a bunch of home games against NAIA teams?

No. I love the recent scheduling and creativeness of Decuire becoming pretty well paid. My post was intended to convey that I see Griz and Decuire continuing to have a very tough non-conference road schedule. Would be nice to get a one for two home and road arrangement with a bigger school. Also, amazed we've never played Krysko or Tinkle. Know that's probably more in the their "court" than Decuire's.

Home games vs. NAIA schools aren't all bad either. Carroll gave Griz a couple decent games in the past, Northern played OK for awhile and Tech put a hurt on the Griz this year.

It's pathetic, but not surprising that Krysko and Tinks won't play us. We made them who they are. They know more than anyone how difficult it is for Montana to schedule quality non-conference foes, but I doubt we'll ever play them. They have nothing to gain and too-much (ego) to lose.

Utah beat Mississippi Valley State 143-49 this past season. I am sure that benefitted the Utes much better than playing the Griz. Utah also played Weber from the Big Sky.

Oregon State played Portland St and North Dakota as well as Grambling and Arkansas-Pine Bluff this year.

Gonzaga also played Ark-Pine Bluff (beat em by 50) and North Dakota, as well as Alabama St., but they see no value in playing a close, long-time rival anymore? Go figure!

Travis Decuire said on the latest zoom session with Riley Corcoran that the Griz are hosting a non conference home tournament next season, with 3 teams coming up here to participate in it. He said this would give us 16 home games, the most we’ve had with Decuire at the helm.

Griz til I die said:
Travis Decuire said on the latest zoom session with Riley Corcoran that the Griz are hosting a non conference home tournament next season, with 3 teams coming up here to participate in it. He said this would give us 16 home games, the most we’ve had with Decuire at the helm.

That's fantastic. Rome wasn't built in a day and the roster is consistently getting stronger , now more schedule upgrades. I'd say our Coach is doing great work given the constraints of being a lower tier mid major at this point in time. I see absolutely nada to bellyache about and am fired up for the season. :clap:

This is a great 10-minute interview. It says a lot about the program that coach DeCuire is building (including that he always holds himself accountable as a starter) and the quality of his coaching staff.

[media]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/1251993741860040706[/media]

The money games on the road also help fund the basketball budget. The coach and not the AD put together the basketball road games, which is not how football money and non-conference games are scheduled.

Online shopping for clothes and other items has huge discounts now."

"Clothing retailers, sitting on tens of billions of unsold goods, are discounting heavily on their websites, but consumers aren’t rushing to buy spring fashions. “This is not like wine that gets better with age,” Manny Chirico, the chief executive of Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger parent PVH Corp., said earlier this month. “Your inventory gets worse.” Some companies are packing away goods with the intent of selling them next year, a process known as “hoteling.” But this can be costly and doesn’t work for fashion items that go out of style, executives say.

Saks Fifth Avenue ran a one-day flash sale last week with spring dresses at up to 70% off. Nordstrom is offering up to 40% off certain styles. J.Crew Group is offering up to 60% off spring styles, and the Gap brand is selling everything for 60% off.

“It’s Black Friday in April,” said Prashant Agrawal, chief executive of Impact Analytics, which tracked online prices in April for 400 items and compared them with prices on the day after Thanksgiving, when the holiday season kicks off with big promotions. Two-thirds of the items, mostly apparel but also shoes and jewelry, were selling at Black Friday prices or below, Mr. Agrawal said.

But the discounts aren't helping. Online sales for apparel and footwear have declined each week since March 9, including a 20% drop in the week ended April 6, compared with the same period a year ago, according to Rakuten Intelligence, which tracks electronic receipts."

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus-2020-04-20/card/w0OkSzXrsiPsHRrJzW2u

Zirg said:
Mousegriz said:

It's pathetic, but not surprising that Krysko and Tinks won't play us. We made them who they are. They know more than anyone how difficult it is for Montana to schedule quality non-conference foes, but I doubt we'll ever play them. They have nothing to gain and too-much (ego) to lose.

Utah beat Mississippi Valley State 143-49 this past season. I am sure that benefitted the Utes much better than playing the Griz. Utah also played Weber from the Big Sky.

Oregon State played Portland St and North Dakota as well as Grambling and Arkansas-Pine Bluff this year.

Gonzaga also played Ark-Pine Bluff (beat em by 50) and North Dakota, as well as Alabama St., but they see no value in playing a close, long-time rival anymore? Go figure!

The Griz have never scheduled games against teams within “the coaching tree”. They don’t want to show one another up/profit at the expense of the other regardless of which team wins or loses. This is why UM never scheduled Stanford, Utah State, Old Dominion, Cal, or even Michigan State for that matter when a former Griz coach was at the helm of those schools. I would say it’s more out of respect for the program than disrespect.

If memory serves the Griz played at Standard when Monty was still there, but I believe that was a Kennedy coached Griz team.

Hoops watcher said:
helenaumfan said:

This is the truth. Could we even get a two for one schedule deal from a Dayton or a Creighton? Pretty sure they are looking for peers or say a lower level Big Conference opponent. At least for now it's the program's lot in the pecking order. Hats off to them for taking on tough opponents, journeys and single steps and so on.

We could''ve had an A-10 school play here when Tinkle was here. They were looking for a 2nd game out west, and the coach thought Montana would be a good matchup. And thats when they were winning a few years back. For whatever reason it fell through. I never asked why

ordigger said:
Hoops watcher said:

We could''ve had an A-10 school play here when Tinkle was here. They were looking for a 2nd game out west, and the coach thought Montana would be a good matchup. And thats when they were winning a few years back. For whatever reason it fell through. I never asked why

I'd hope Coach D would jump all over an opportunity like that. As a fan that is a matchup I'd relish.

Back