• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz

Predict Shannon will get another yr contract: She has done well enough the past yr, forming the LG as a legit competitive Big Sky team this past season. COVID-19 will have substantially impacted all aspects of collegiate experience to include player-personnel levels thereby reducing ranges of normal recruiting of players and coaches.

MTbest said:
Predict Shannon will get another yr contract: She has done well enough the past yr, forming the LG as a legit competitive Big Sky team this past season. COVID-19 will have substantially impacted all aspects of collegiate experience to include player-personnel levels thereby reducing ranges of normal recruiting of players and coaches.

I think you are right on Shannon getting another year. Her only drawback could be Sophia not quite healed by first month of 20-21 season. Covid-19 should only impact her for that reason in next year season. Recruiting for 21-22 season could take a hit a bit but all big sky schools are all in the same boat on that.
Shannon will try and showcase her daughters next year.

If Shannon is going to be kept it should be more than a 1 year contract. One year contracts indicate zero stability and zero confidence. Either give her 3 years or move on with someone else

Griz66 said:
If Shannon is going to be kept it should be more than a 1 year contract. One year contracts indicate zero stability and zero confidence. Either give her 3 years or move on with someone else

What with this virus thing going around and social distancing thing, it may be very hard to find a different coach.

I am in favor of a 1 year contract. Basically, because I do not have enough confidence in her for a 3 year but finding a better coach with whats going on around the world would be potential program killer. Of course, I am not the one deciding on how many years. Haslam may have all the confidence in the world for a coach that lead a team to 4th place and one and out in the tournament.

Well, we didn't have to wait very long for where Gabi Harrington was heading next...

https://twitter.com/GabiHarrington/status/1243332408486707201

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
Well, we didn't have to wait very long for where Gabi Harrington was heading next...

Transferring in-conference to a traditional rival.

Wishing her the best... but ouch. Not a good look.

MTbest said:
Predict Shannon will get another yr contract: She has done well enough the past yr, forming the LG as a legit competitive Big Sky team this past season.

How so?

- bounced in the first round of the tourney by an underdog team

- lost to MSU twice

- 12-8 in conference

- 1-5 vs top 3 teams

- More off-season transfers of expected starters

MissoulaCanucksFan said:

She is from Boise, so this is a very logical move on her part.

BWahlberg said:
MTbest said:
Predict Shannon will get another yr contract: She has done well enough the past yr, forming the LG as a legit competitive Big Sky team this past season.

How so?

- lost to MSU twice

- 12-8 in conference

- 1-5 vs top 3 teams

And the LG had beaten NAU twice, by 13 and 8. Including on Feb. 27 in Missoula.

TrueGriz said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:

She is from Boise, so this is a very logical move on her part.

Boise v Moscow as big of rivals as UM and MSU. Logical? Closer to home I suppose, yeah.

PlayerRep said:
BWahlberg said:
MTbest said:

How so?

- lost to MSU twice

- 12-8 in conference

- 1-5 vs top 3 teams

And the LG had beaten NAU twice, by 13 and 8. Including on Feb. 27 in Missoula.

Emphasis on "Well Enough" that is not spectacular. And with the up-rootedness of the COVID-19 impact on university systems, it might just be less of a performance issue, more of administrative stability.

Will she have to sit a year? I’m guessing not or she probably wouldn’t have done this. Was thinking that an intraconference transfer had special Big Sky rules of sitting a year

HookedonGriz said:
Will she have to sit a year? I’m guessing not or she probably wouldn’t have done this. Was thinking that an intraconference transfer had special Big Sky rules of sitting a year
As far as I know, I don't think the Big Sky has a certain rule about transfers having to sit out a year (pretty sure that's an NCAA rule). I believe Gabi is coming to Idaho as a grad transfer, and in taking advantage of that rule she will be eligible to play right away.

I can think of a couple of other instances for those who transferred to UM from different schools that were not seniors and did not have to sit out a year. Kendal Manuel transferred from Oregon State to UM and he was granted a waiver from the NCAA so he could play on the men's basketball team right away. Same with Robby Hauck on the football team after his father Bobby Hauck returned as head coach. I think the NCAA will grant waivers to those who want play right way if they don't have a redshirt available (Manuel and Hauck used their redshirts at their former schools).

A recent instance where such a waiver was declined was with Naseem Gaskin on the MBB team, after he redshirted his freshman year at Utah in 18-19 before transferring here to UM.

With the loss of another great player in Gabbi Harrington is anyone paying attention??? anyone??? Shannon needs to go!!!! She can't get the top recruits and she can't keep the good ones she has. Bubye!!!!

Here's how bad I think it's become for the us:

The Lady Cats will dominate the Lady Griz over the next four years in much the manner our Men's team has dominated theirs.

If we win one game over the next four years, I will be surprised.

That's how good the Cat program has become.

citay said:
Here's how bad I think it's become for the us:

The Lady Cats will dominate the Lady Griz over the next four years in much the manner our Men's team has dominated theirs.

If we win one game over the next four years, I will be surprised.

That's how good the Cat program has become.

And yet you started this thread advocating for Shannon's extension.

Loved the progress this year but still hear of the locker room unhappiness over the "mind games" played by Shannon. Players favored and others forced to assume situations with no follow up. Playing time and starting positions given out with no backup why. Such as Taylor G. starting for 3 years before her knee injury and then not needed as a starter but inserted and depended on at the end of almost every game...especially the close ones. I think she's learning but not sure how long the "on the job head coach training" should go on. With the talent of the players who have quit or transferred, I know the player coach/player relationship has to improve if she comes back.....especially with the dynamics of having 2 of her daughters on the team next year as well as a Sentinel teammate who, with 3 Division 1 players, couldn't win a state championship. Recipe for drama! Lots to look at.

HookedonGriz said:

There's no special "intraconference transfer" rules. It IS unusual to transfer within the conference, and I can only think of a couple other examples.

Back