• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some Ask a Taboo Question: Is America Overreacting to Coronavirus?

My smart finance/economic/business friends say the US will need to enact a national sales tax to pay for all these programs. And should.

This isn't good news, after 3 or so days of doing better in this regard:'

"In New York, the number of hospitalized coronavirus patients jumped by 40 percent in a day."

We have 70 cases total in Alaska. 33 where I live in Anchorage. I work as a teacher and schools are closed until May 1st. We can not enter the buildings for any circumstances and will begin online instruction next week. We were put under identical orders state wide Sunday at 10:00 pm.

The list below includes the essential industries listed in our state.

 Transportation and logistics
 Agricultural operations, including fishing and fish-processing
 Energy – including oil and gas production
 Critical Manufacturing
 Raw material production for manufacturing, including mining and timber
 Water, wastewater and sanitation
 Government functions
 Public safety and first responders
 Healthcare & Public Health
 Financial services
 Communications
 Defense

I grew up in Butte and have family there and watched Bullock’s address today. He is basically copying the playbook from every surrounding state. His address was extremely vague and left a lot for interpretation. Montana is roughly a week behind other states and based upon numbers is spreading quickly.

After recently going through this, the best advise I can give is do not go out to the stores to buy items unless you absolutely need them. Now that a time and date has been established, you will see pandemonium at the grocery stores tomorrow. Wait until 4-5 days after March 28th to return to the stores. They will be restocked and the likelihood of contacting the virus will be reduced.

I went to Costco today in Anchorage and they were fully stocked with items with the exception of rice, which you can’t find anywhere. They were only letting 10 people in every 5 minutes to allow social distancing.

Take care Griz nation! I look forward to Saturday football in Missoula and the passing of these difficult times.

EverettGriz said:
What're we going to do after we've deployed both our hospital ships?

i think one came to san diego. probably needed more in l.a. right now, though.

cclarkblues said:
Cuervohola said:
cclarkblues said:
PlayerRep said:
My wife just did a video (Zoom) yoga class with her favorite Peak yogi. Said she noticed there were 59 people on it at one time.

Our club, Granite fitness is offering a number of classes on their YouTube channel. Fitness gurus like Les Mills also has some free offerings during this time. It's a shame our club closed just as I was getting huge...

Get a Bowflex. It will last you about 2 weeks until you max it out and then it will become what it was made for... Hanging clothes.

Converting our movie/gaming room to workout room. Elliptical, bike, weights, yoga area. All converted from clothes racks.

And there it is. Well played.

Answering the topic subject: No, it's not. Yesterday the USA took first place by the number of total cases, we have more cases than China! Italy and Spain are taking the 3rd and 4th place and the officials say that the Championship match between Atalanta and Valencia caused the virus to spread so widely. My brother was in France last month to buy apartment in Cannes and as he told me considering the lack of the precautions they are in the 7th place... The list is long and the situation very bad, and of course health is more important than football.

Like I said in an earlier post - Better SAFE than Sorry! Hunker down folks - We will get thru this or not! It is what it is! Be Safe everyone!

PlayerRep said:
My smart finance/economic/business friends say the US will need to enact a national sales tax to pay for all these programs. And should.

I agree as long as they do away with the income tax at the same time.

That will never happen because without the income tax system the politicians will no longer have unlimited wealth and power.

AKGriz72 said:
We have 70 cases total in Alaska. 33 where I live in Anchorage. I work as a teacher and schools are closed until May 1st. We can not enter the buildings for any circumstances and will begin online instruction next week. We were put under identical orders state wide Sunday at 10:00 pm.

The list below includes the essential industries listed in our state.

 Transportation and logistics
 Agricultural operations, including fishing and fish-processing
 Energy – including oil and gas production
 Critical Manufacturing
 Raw material production for manufacturing, including mining and timber
 Water, wastewater and sanitation
 Government functions
 Public safety and first responders
 Healthcare & Public Health
 Financial services
 Communications
 Defense

I grew up in Butte and have family there and watched Bullock’s address today. He is basically copying the playbook from every surrounding state. His address was extremely vague and left a lot for interpretation. Montana is roughly a week behind other states and based upon numbers is spreading quickly.

After recently going through this, the best advise I can give is do not go out to the stores to buy items unless you absolutely need them. Now that a time and date has been established, you will see pandemonium at the grocery stores tomorrow. Wait until 4-5 days after March 28th to return to the stores. They will be restocked and the likelihood of contacting the virus will be reduced.

I went to Costco today in Anchorage and they were fully stocked with items with the exception of rice, which you can’t find anywhere. They were only letting 10 people in every 5 minutes to allow social distancing.

Take care Griz nation! I look forward to Saturday football in Missoula and the passing of these difficult times.

Thanks for report. On the map I looked at, and in an article, Alaska is not listed as having a statewide shelter in place order. It is listed as having such an order in only some places. I'm fine with the limited orders that target hotspot or risk areas.

No, Bullock is out of step with neighboring states. Idaho, which had its caSes double yesterday and has some deaths, instituted the order yesterday. But ND, SD, Wyo., Utah, Nev., AZ, Neb., Iowa, don't have the order.

Just talked to my neighbor (hope I didn't break any state govt. rules) & he said he just got back to town (Missoula) from Billings with a mobile food unit that usually feeds firefighters during fire season. He said it will be going to Seattle. He kind of thought it was ridiculous that the govt is paying them when all the food places out there need the business. It does sound like it is robbing Peter to pay Paul!

MT up to 108. Gallatin 39, and Yellowstone 20. No other county over 8. Missoula at 8. 17 counties. 6 counties have 1.

Here's a link to a good MT tracker, or the MT tracker:

https://montana.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=7c34f3412536439491adcc2103421d4b

"Cuomo wonders if coronavirus quarantine may have backfired in some cases "

"Sweeping statewide quarantine orders may not have been the most effective strategy to combat the coronavirus, Gov. Andrew Cuomo conceded on Thursday, as he weighed plans to restart the economy.

“We closed everything down. That was our public health strategy,” said Cuomo during an Albany press briefing. “If you re-thought that or had time to analyze that public health strategy, I don’t know that you would say ‘Quarantine everyone.'”

It’s the third day in a row that Cuomo has publicly mused about quarantines and how best to eventually restart the Empire State’s shattered economy.

But Wednesday, Cuomo’s answer during an hour-long news conference about quarantines — which are backed by city and state health officials — took a new turn as he speculated it might have spread the disease.

“I don’t even know that that was the best public health policy. Young people then quarantined with older people, [it] was probably not the best public health strategy,” he said. “The younger people could have been exposing the older people to an infection.”

Cuomo’s office said the governor was referencing a study by a Yale professor, who wrote a column that appeared in the opinion section of the New York Times last week.

“There’s a theory of risk stratification that Dr. Katz who’s at Yale University is working on, which is actually very interesting to me,” Cuomo told reporters then. “Isolate people but really isolate the vulnerable people. Don’t isolate everyone because some people, most people, are not vulnerable to it.”

He added: “And if you isolate all people, you may be actually exposing the more vulnerable people by bringing in a person who is healthier and stronger and who may have been exposed to the virus, right.”Cuomo’s office said the governor was referencing a study by a Yale professor, who wrote a column that appeared in the opinion section of the New York Times last week."

https://nypost.com/2020/03/26/cuomo-admits-that-quarantine-may-have-backfired-in-some-cases/

From a UW med school study this week. The study showed a range of deaths in the US that was pretty high. The study also showed the rate of virus case increase, as well as the number of needed, by state, hospital beds, icu units and ventilators.

For MT, at the peak, it show a need of 784 beds, and 1169 beds available. So, MT would have plenty of hospital beds.

For ICU, 85 available and a need of 120. So, a 35 bed shortage.

For ventilators, 65 needed. NY is starting to use 1 ventinllor for 2 patients. Read in Reuters: https://apple.news/AyxNhY8cGRFSpVYrZFjg8JA

Assumed 251 deaths (from a range of 108-402). Peak deaths would be April 23-30. No deaths by June 10.

The study assumed no stay at home order.

Link to state by state part study: http://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Link to whole study:

http://www.healthdata.org/sites/default/files/files/research_articles/2020/covid_paper_MEDRXIV-2020-043752v1-Murray.pdf

PlayerRep said:
Bullock issues shelter-in-place. Starting at 12:01 on Saturday morning, I believe. Overkill.

Shelter-in-place but you can still go out for a laundry list of reasons including physical exercise. Seems like a contradiction to me. Also wonder what is deemed non-essential besides bars, hair salons, and massage parlors?

MikeyGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Bullock issues shelter-in-place. Starting at 12:01 on Saturday morning, I believe. Overkill.

Shelter-in-place but you can still go out for a laundry list of reasons including physical exercise. Seems like a contradiction to me. Also wonder what is deemed non-essential besides bars, hair salons, and massage parlors?

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/helenair.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/29/12959b53-276e-5026-aaa8-783d53d24fe1/5e7d38a782bc2.pdf.pdf

MikeyGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

I don't see a contradiction. Shelter in place isn't a quarantine. As long as you practice safe distancing and take other reasonable precautions, you can be outside. Just don't form an impromptu mosh pit in the public park.

EverettGriz said:
MikeyGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

I don't see a contradiction. Shelter in place isn't a quarantine. As long as you practice safe distancing and take other reasonable precautions, you can be outside. Just don't form an impromptu mosh pit in the public park.

My wife is concluding that she can no longer play doubles tennis with her friends. They've been playing outside. They got some input from a cop in the group. Seems ridiculous to me.

While a lot of things are permitted, it seems a lot of things are not allowed. Lots of stores. Barnes and Noble and other bookstores have been open. Didn't notice them on the allowed list, but the Bullock letter is very long and hard to read and understand. It seems that a lot of construction is not allowed, altho some didn't seem to be allowed before the last order.

Best Buy. It's been open for curbside service. We went yesterday to get a new router. Not sure where it stands now.

The list of outdoor activities is pretty short. Don't know if more stuff would be okay.

This post is directed at Everett. Curious about his view on outdoor tennis.

The Bullock rules don't really apply to Helena because restaurants, bars and gyms are already closed. Besides stores, which of course are allowed, there is nothing else to do in Helena anyway.

I agree that it makes sense to have exceptions. Today, just like every other day, I have a date with my dog to walk in the hills while my wife, who works in healthcare, is out making money.

Back