• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some Ask a Taboo Question: Is America Overreacting to Coronavirus?

A new poll lists Montana football fans as the most educated football fans in the nation on the Coronavirus. The poll was shown to me on the understanding that the poll itself would not be made public.

Cuervohola said:
cclarkblues said:
PlayerRep said:
My wife just did a video (Zoom) yoga class with her favorite Peak yogi. Said she noticed there were 59 people on it at one time.

Our club, Granite fitness is offering a number of classes on their YouTube channel. Fitness gurus like Les Mills also has some free offerings during this time. It's a shame our club closed just as I was getting huge...

Get a Bowflex. It will last you about 2 weeks until you max it out and then it will become what it was made for... Hanging clothes.

Converting our movie/gaming room to workout room. Elliptical, bike, weights, yoga area. All converted from clothes racks.

PlayerRep said:
Bullock issues shelter-in-place. Starting at 12:01 on Saturday morning, I believe. Overkill.

overkill for some areas of montana, for some, maybe not. testing to try to determine the % of those infected would in a certain area would probably help.

I won't get tested, considering the at home treatment is the same for the Flu.

Besides, the Feds already have my DNA, not giving it to the County and State.

"The suggestion that vitamin C may be beneficial in a number of viral infections is based on two concepts, namely, i) patients with acute infectious diseases have low circulating vitamin C levels (likely due to metabolic consumption) [9,30], and ii) vitamin C has beneficial immunomodulating properties in patients with viral infections, predominantly by increasing the production of α/β interferons and downregulating the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines"

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14787210.2020.1706483

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/new-york-hospitals-treating-coronavirus-patients-with-vitamin-c/

Seems like an odd time to ratchet up. 90 cases, now. No deaths. Few, if any, sick enough to be in hospital. Lots of beds available.

Only 16 or so counties with cases; about 40 counties with no cases. Only Gallatin with growing and concerning number of cases (38). That’s 40% in Gallatin Missoula and Ravalli counties have a total of 8.

22 other states have it. Idaho does now. The only states from the West Coast to Minn/Ill/ to have it are Idaho, Colorado and New Mexico. Texas and Florida don’t have it. No states in the southeast have it (7 states), but they have some areas with it, as do some other states. I have no problems with shutting down certain counties and areas.

The same day Trump admin announced to governors the plan for federal government to rate all counties in US, as high, medium or low risk. I assume most MT counties will be low risk.

Same day as press saying that the main guy behind the prestigious study predicting large growth and deaths, which caused the UK to changes its policies to close things down, and reportedly caused Trump to get more cautious, has changed his view, significantly, to predict way fewer deaths.

Edit: "Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, who created the highly-cited Imperial College London coronavirus model, which has been cited by organizations like The New York Times and has been instrumental in governmental policy decision-making, offered a massively downgraded projection of the potential death toll on Wednesday."

This won’t change my life much if at all.

My view is that this is overkill and will hurt way more people than it may help. Even Gov. Cuomo is saying to just address the places that need help and need to be addressed.

Also, I don’t think many people will comply with it. Won’t make sense to them. I think Bullock should have kept his powder dry, and saved this for later if necessary. I just don’t see people in the US and in MT being willing to shelter-in-place very long, except in various hotspots like NYC and similar places.

It seemed to me that most MT people were complying with the existing social distancing and limited shut-down rules. That made more sense and was easier to comply with.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
Bullock issues shelter-in-place. Starting at 12:01 on Saturday morning, I believe. Overkill.

overkill for some areas of montana, for some, maybe not. testing to try to determine the % of those infected would in a certain area would probably help.

Bullock ordered it for the whole state, not some areas. Of course, some areas. Maybe Gallatin County. Even Gov. Cuomo is saying that certain areas need more focus and attention than others.

Florida and Texas don't have it. Neither do any of 7 southeastern states, including Florida. All of them have targeted shelter spots.

"New York State Gov. Cuomo press briefing:

- COVID-19 patients average time on ventilator: 11 - 21 days (vs. 3 - 4 days for non-COVID-19 patients). "We have patients that have been 20 days 30 days on a ventilator. The longer you are on a ventilator, the more likely you are not going get off a ventilator

- New York is testing more per capita than South Korea"

Tucker Carlson just pointed out how the Dem leadership in NYC encouraged people to go out and mingle and go to parades at the start of this month.

PlayerRep said:
Seems like an odd time to ratchet up. 90 cases, now. No deaths. Few, if any, sick enough to be in hospital. Lots of beds available.

Only 16 or so counties with cases; about 40 counties with no cases. Only Gallatin with growing and concerning number of cases (38). That’s 40% in Gallatin Missoula and Ravalli counties have a total of 8.

22 other states have it. Idaho does now. The only states from the West Coast to Minn/Ill/ to have it are Idaho, Colorado and New Mexico. Texas and Florida don’t have it. No states in the southeast have it (7 states), but they have some areas with it, as do some other states. I have no problems with shutting down certain counties and areas.

The same day Trump admin announced to governors the plan for federal government to rate all counties in US, as high, medium or low risk. I assume most MT counties will be low risk.

Same day as press saying that the main guy behind the prestigious study predicting large growth and deaths, which caused the UK to changes its policies to close things down, and reportedly caused Trump to get more cautious, has changed his view, significantly, to predict way fewer deaths.

Edit: "Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, who created the highly-cited Imperial College London coronavirus model, which has been cited by organizations like The New York Times and has been instrumental in governmental policy decision-making, offered a massively downgraded projection of the potential death toll on Wednesday."

This won’t change my life much if at all.

My view is that this is overkill and will hurt way more people than it may help. Even Gov. Cuomo is saying to just address the places that need help and need to be addressed.

Also, I don’t think many people will comply with it. Won’t make sense to them. I think Bullock should have kept his powder dry, and saved this for later if necessary. I just don’t see people in the US and in MT being willing to shelter-in-place very long, except in various hotspots like NYC and similar places.

It seemed to me that most MT people were complying with the existing social distancing and limited shut-down rules. That made more sense and was easier to comply with.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. It will compound the economic damage immensely by shutting down a lot of construction outside where there is zero evidence of danger. And yes, people are calmly and matter of factly observing the common sense suggestions. People will get very agitated in a very short time.

Idaho has gone from zero cases not long ago, to 189 with 98 new today and the first deaths reported today (3). Problems in Sun Valley/Ketchum (almost half). Governor put a state stay-in-place order in effect immediately today.

"Idaho reports first COVID-19 deaths, 2 in Blaine and 1 in Canyon County

They are:

A man over the age of 60 from Blaine County. It is not clear if he had underlying health issues.
A man over the age of 80 from Blaine County. It is not clear if he had underlying health issues.
A man over the age of 70 from Canyon County with underlying health issues.

Was told that Boeing is shut down in Seattle due to the governor's shelter in place order. Not an essential business.

What does the shelter in place due to contractors and normal new construction or renovation?

Was told that teachers in Missoula have been told that they can't enter their buildings for any reason, like to get something, after the orders goes into effect.

I can't imagine that any business that has still been operating, and now has to be shut down, will be too excited about having to shut down. I assume those businesses have taken some steps to social distance and protect employees.

Bullock reminds me of Mark Emmert of the ncaa. NYC is a mess, Seattle has had lots of deaths, New Orleans has a growing problem, hot spots are developing around Detroit and Chicago--so let's close down Montana.

A guy just died of the virus at the Libby hospital. Had houses on Angel Island/Bull Lake/LIbby. Had been in CA and Seattle for a long time/winter. Usually just spends summers in MT.

Bummer.

PlayerRep said:
Bullock reminds me of Mark Emmert of the ncaa. NYC is a mess, Seattle has had lots of deaths, New Orleans has a growing problem, hot spots are developing around Detroit and Chicago--so let's close down Montana.

Every state should be "stay at home".

PlayerRep said:

I’m not following this analogy.

wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:

I’m not following this analogy.

It's not an analogy. It's a joke. Have you not seen the jokes about how big schools doing something bad, and then the Ncaa sanctions little schools for doing something not big? If you don't get it, that's fine.

The US hospital ship:

"President Trump said on Thursday that the Navy hospital ship U.S.N.S. Comfort will disembark on Saturday from Norfolk, Va., and arrive at Manhattan’s Pier 90 on Monday, three weeks earlier than expected." NY Times

Back