• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some Ask a Taboo Question: Is America Overreacting to Coronavirus?

BillingsMafia said:
Spanky2 said:
BillingsMafia said:
Yes, we will be in a long term world wide depression if they don't open things up real soon.
Opening up the economy could make the virus spread worse.

Worldwide depression > virus

The stay-at-home orders are controlled by governors and mayors. Can't imagine Trump can or would overrule those. Trump will change the guidelines. It seems that Fauci is indicating that one size won't fit all.

Today's Fauci interview on NPR. My wife heard it. It's very good and has alot of information. While Trump et al will make final decisions, Fauci appears to have alot of input.

Here's an internet blog post I found, while looking for a link to the interview. The poster was summarizing the interview.

"I can't find the link to today's interview yet (Boston) however here are a few take-aways from Fauci's discussion:

- asymptomatic transmission (someone doesn't get sick and/or show symptoms) is a real issue with this virus (vs. colds, flu, ebola);

- actual infections are likely heavily under-reported including in the U.S. due to asymptomatic but still contagious patients;

- death rate is probably around 1% (for comparison MERS was about 9%, annual flu is about 0.1%, really really bad flu is about 1.2%, 1918 flu was about 2%);

- the number of patients requiring significant supportive care is ranging from 15 to 25% which is a major issue for health care symptoms;

- expect seasonality to hit with this - waning eventually in Northern Hemisphere only to reemerge in Southern Hemisphere shortly thereafter (like influenza and other coronaviruses).

He described this as something akin to a "really bad flu." Of course, no country quarantines 400 million+, cruise ships, and puts people on military bases with the flu (even H1N1)"

"Is Loss Of Smell And Taste A Symptom Of COVID-19? Doctors Want To Find Out"

"Doctors from Italy to China to South Korea to the U.S. are reporting cases where a loss of the sense of taste and the sense of smell, in particular, has been seen in patients who later tested positive for the coronavirus."

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/26/821582951/is-loss-of-smell-and-taste-a-symptom-of-covid-19-doctors-want-to-find-out

[This occurred to me in mid-January. I had said to my wife that I knew the food was great, but I couldn't taste it. I've since read that other illnesses can cause this, but it had never happened to me. Then, in the last week or so, I read about this with C-Virus.

Have you noticed how many people now wonder if they've had C-Virus in the last few months? Several in our family have wondered. My joke is that this is going to be like Woodstock in my generation. Altho only 400,000 went, the number of people saying they went is now 4 million to 40 million. The other Woodstock I like, is that if you say you can remember being at Woodstock, you were really there (due to all the drugs).]

PlayerRep said:
He described this as something akin to a "really bad flu." Of course, no country quarantines 400 million+, cruise ships, and puts people on military bases with the flu (even H1N1)"

except the flu doesn't have anywhere near that hospitalization rate.

BillingsMafia said:
Spanky2 said:
BillingsMafia said:
Yes, we will be in a long term world wide depression if they don't open things up real soon.
Opening up the economy could make the virus spread worse.

Worldwide depression > virus

Leaving aside for the moment the ethical questions your post raises, a worsening of this virus would DEVASTATE the economy. Obviously the shelter in place rules have a quite negative short-term impact; but the economy will rebound if Americans are healthy and return to their normal lives/habits. However, if tens of millions are sick, hundreds of thousands dying, hospitals and the medical system overrun, supply chains destroyed, manufacturing limited...and that's just on the supply side. When you begin to think what would happen on the demand side...well, as an economist, I wouldn't want to think about it. It would be bleak, bleak days, I'm afraid.

More interesting news about China
https://mobile.twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1243148131400900608

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

CDC flu stats. These are averaged (or something similar) annual numbers since 2010.

"CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010."

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

CDC flu stats. These are averaged (or something similar) annual numbers since 2010.

"CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010."

We could see 140,000 hospitalizations in Florida alone, all within a few weeks.

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

Why Florida? It has only 2355 cases now. How would they possibly get to that many hospitalizations in a few weeks?

It looks like Florida has only 56,000 total beds.

https://www.ahd.com/states/hospital_FL.html

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

Why Florida? Hope not, as it looks like Florida has only 56,000 total beds.

Well, first, they obviously have a large number of older residents. And second, they were very, very late to take any action to slow the spread of Covid.

And yes, this is what worries the shit out of the experts. That's why places like King County are building makeshift hospitals in sports arenas. This shit is real, people.

I wonder why there isn't an uproar every year for the regular Flu, based on it killing so many people.
I wonder why these viruses only come from animals, especially in a Chinese city with 2 Bio Labs.
I wonder why this virus created itself in the animal, but has never done that in the history of said animal.
I wonder why these viruses only happen during election years.
I wonder why the media, of course concerned with people dying, doesn't talk about the lives saved with Vitamin C. (I know that one)

This NYC hospitalization number is old, ie last Friday. Would be much higher now.

"In New York City, health officials said Friday that of 1,160 people hospitalized with COVID-19 symptoms"

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

i meant by percentage, sorry. being estimated at 15% or even higher for this virus. percent wise, nowhere near flu - 36 million got sick last year, and 500,000 were hospitalized. what's that, a little over 1%?

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Why Florida? Hope not, as it looks like Florida has only 56,000 total beds.

Well, first, they obviously have a large number of older residents. And second, they were very, very late to take any action to slow the spread of Covid.

And yes, this is what worries the shit out of the experts. That's why places like King County are building makeshift hospitals in sports arenas. This shit is real, people.

Florida wasn't very very late. I was there. Mayors closed areas and places, including beaches before the Governor. The main beach at South Beach was closed, and kids were run out of the strip, about March 15 or 14. In Miami, bars and restaurants started closing on March 15, and were all closed by March 16. I think all other beaches, including private ones, were closed on Miami Beach, all the way to South Point, by end of last week. Again, other popular and younger beaches were closed elsewhere. There were police all over the beach areas including all entrances before beaches were closed. The cops stayed at the entrances to keep beaches closed. They are probably still there.

Key West, which didn't have any cases as of several days ago when I last looked, stayed open a bit longer, but has since closed. Key West started closing big public area before St Paddy's day.

From what I observed, there weren't many older people even out on the streets or boardwalks in Miami Beach, and those that were, were well-distanced. That was occurring by mid-March (or before).

Fort Lauderdale was full of kids in mid-March when we were there briefly, but a lot of the photos and videos in the media are a bit of old news.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

i meant by percentage, sorry. being estimated at 15% or even higher for this virus. percent wise, nowhere near flu - 36 million got sick last year, and 500,000 were hospitalized. what's that, a little over 1%?

I knew what you meant. I wasn't disagreeing. I just looked at the CDC flu stats and posted. We are in agreement. Thx.

Note that the hospitalization rate in MT so far, is either 1.5% or 0%.

More BS from China.

"China Is Now Blaming a Lone U.S. Cyclist For Coronavirus

China is pushing the unfounded conspiracy theory that the virus was created by the U.S. military and brought to China by an army athlete."

Read in VICE: https://apple.news/AjP9MfpSWQBOmSH_0sRIacw

PlayerRep said:
More BS from China.

"China Is Now Blaming a Lone U.S. Cyclist For Coronavirus

China is pushing the unfounded conspiracy theory that the virus was created by the U.S. military and brought to China by an army athlete."

Read in VICE: https://apple.news/AjP9MfpSWQBOmSH_0sRIacw

wechat, a does-everything social media app, is one of the main sources of 'news' for chinese. it is very heavily censored, with anything even remotely criticizing the ccp being removed quickly. however, it has story after story of how the virus is the fault of the u.s., and other anti-u.s. propaganda that is clearly sponsored by the ccp. otherwise, it would have been removed.

Florida finally closed its beaches two days ago. It needed to 22 days ago.

Florida is about to be overwhelmed. Louisiana as well. Mississippi will soon follow.

There is a vaccine in test, maybe two or three of them. We better scrap the rules, vaccinate a few thousand people and see if it works. Otherwise the entire world is shut down and mankind is out of business.

Sun Valley/Ketchum has virus problem:

"It's also become the epicenter of Idaho's caseload, with at least 35 cases and known community spread of the virus. At least 14 of the cases are among health care workers, forcing the town’s small medical workers to bring in replacement staffers from nearby cities."

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/rural-america-watches-coronavirus-pandemic-erupts-cities/2261397/

Back