• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What will post Covid-19 college football look like?

Brother Bear

Interesting story and what some in the Pac12 are looking at...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/23/pac-12-football-schools-should-think-in-terms-of-rebuilding-their-business-in-post-covid19-world/

Because whenever college football opens its gates to the public — whether it’s the first weekend of Sept. 2020 or Sept. 2021 — the experience will be entirely different than it has been for the past 100 years.

Attendance has been on the decline for years, and now comes a global pandemic.

For the schools and the conferences, Dolich said, it won’t be enough to pick up where they left off.

It’s one thing to send kids back to school whenever the crisis ends.

It’s another to willingly spend the day in close quarters with tens of thousands of strangers.

“They need to think strategically and proactively to the time when they’re going to recover, to those days of the green light,” Dolich said.

“They have to think in terms of rebuilding their business.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/no-football-in-the-fall-here-are-college-sports-biggest-worries-022046334.html

Schools are starting to model what it would possibly look like financially if the 2020 season wasn't played.

Even if there are reduced crowds, tickets will still be scarce if everyone has to sit 6 feet away from each other.

I'm not sure how tackling if going to work if players have to stay 6 feet from each other. Injuries will be reduced, tho.

not to mention, will corporate sponsors have the cash flow to support the programs? How does this effect a company like Learfield?

Also, PR may know this, how much of an asst. coach's (bball or fball) income comes from summer camps?

wbtfg said:
not to mention, will corporate sponsors have the cash flow to support the programs? How does this effect a company like Learfield?

Also, PR may know this, how much of an asst. coach's (bball or fball) income comes from summer camps?

Good points. Seems like disaster for Leerfield. Don't know on camps.

This article deals with the future, but not football. My daughter sent it to me. I skimmed the headings and read a few blurbs.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/19/coronavirus-effect-economy-life-society-analysis-covid-135579

wbtfg said:

I can speak to this at Eastern... I think Montana is in overall better financial shape so the issue may not be as dramatic in Missoula. Eastern’s assistants make 5-10% of their income though camps. The OC and DC are higher paid and don’t make as much on camps as most of that money is allocated to the lower paid guys. Eastern’s head coach doesn’t take money from the camps.

Perhaps the numbers are a little less at Montana, but UM is still suffering from some of the same ills as Eastern has as enrollment is challenged at both places. Eastern has some other major internal issues as growth was enormous until about 5 years ago when a new president came and it seems she has no “inspirational power” to drive positive change.

I would guess that psychologically it will take society quite a while to get comfortable being close to each other in large crowds. Possibly by 2021. Not this fall. Would expect attendance to be way down this fall.

behappp said:
I would guess that psychologically it will take society quite a while to get comfortable being close to each other in large crowds. Possibly by 2021. Not this fall. Would expect attendance to be way down this fall.

Assuming we are still out a year+ from a widely available vaccine I will be surprised if anything this fall resembles "normal" for universities, athletes and fans. We may need to wait until 2021 for any kind of normalcy unfortunately.

It will look like 1995 and 2001 with the Griz returning to their rightful place at the top of the FCS division!

PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:

Good points. Seems like disaster for Leerfield. Don't know on camps.

I have a buddy that is a college basketball coach. He said that a large portion of his income comes from summer camps. And that he is really screwed this year.

i wouldn't be surprised if football happened, but without a crowd in the stands. similar to how the NCAA wanted to do March Madness before it was cancelled

BozAngelesGriz said:
i wouldn't be surprised if football happened, but without a crowd in the stands. similar to how the NCAA wanted to do March Madness before it was cancelled

Lot of schools you couldn't tell the difference.

cclarkblues said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

Lot of schools you couldn't tell the difference.

A lot of Big Sky schools will notice a huge difference if Griz Nation isn't allowed to attend their home games. Many times they are the largest contingent in the stands.

KIrk Herbstreit said in an interview yesterday he has serious doubts there will be any football this fall. With teams losing spring ball, and summer conditioning/workouts, there is not adequate time logistically to prepare teams to play. One example he gave was the challenge for teams with new coaches/schemes to learn.

mtgriz said:
KIrk Herbstreit said in an interview yesterday he has serious doubts there will be any football this fall. With teams losing spring ball, and summer conditioning/workouts, there is not adequate time logistically to prepare teams to play. One example he gave was the challenge for teams with new coaches/schemes to learn.

I don't see why any of those things would result in not having a season. Until the last several decades, that's how football was played.

PlayerRep said:
mtgriz said:

I don't see why any of those things would result in not having a season. Until the last several decades, that's how football was played.

I think Herbie is assuming that teams are loath to suit up 60 year olds.

PlayerRep said:
Even if there are reduced crowds, tickets will still be scarce if everyone has to sit 6 feet away from each other.

I'm not sure how tackling if going to work if players have to stay 6 feet from each other. Injuries will be reduced, tho.
Good, we can play Oregon.

mtgriz said:

Conditioning and workouts aside, some discussion around an abridged season will take place, include starting much later and limiting games to conference only due to the shortened season. For most some season is better than nothing...

Back