• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What to do in Missoula on Football Game Day

drharps

Hi, I'm looking for some friendly advice. My buddies and I do a college game every year somewhere different. This year, we're doing MT vs. Sac State. (We've done LSU, ASU, ND, USC, UW, etc...this will be our first non-power 5 team.)

What are some suggestions for things to do, places to stay, etc? We are currently booked at the Doubletree in Edgewater. Worth staying there, or better to move closer to town center?

For background, we are all early 40s and tend to get together to drink, tailgate, and have fun. None of us have been to Missoula before. While I'm sure the hiking, fishing, etc. is fantastic, we aren't there for that. It's really get together (we live around the country), and basically experience what the town is like during a football game. It's a Friday-Sunday trip.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76569&hilit=Guide#p1225279

Here you go...this thread goes through everything. There is a Doubletree about a Par 5 from the stadium. If that’s the one you reserved, it will work great.

AllWeatherFan said:
Doubletree is perfect. Close to the stadium and close to downtown. Right on the river. :thumb:
And on the way to the stadium, you can pick and choose from more tailgates (and food) than you can possibly visit. Suggestion: Since you sound like die-hard football fans, perhaps each with your own team(s), get some nice/crazy t-shirts to start conversations, like "We're ready for some football!" or whatever. If you do it right, you'll be really well fed, and (eventually) have to cut off the free booze so you might see some of the game. :lol:

With a minimum of 11 breweries and 4 distilleries in a town of less than 80K, you should have no problem finding great places to imbibe! This Does not include the myriad of bars in town. There are also some great restaurants that will satisfy the hungriest of football fans. Many are within walking distance of the Doubletree.

If you want to get in a little exercise a game morning walk to the "M" will fill that need. You probably won't have enough time to do some fishing or exploring of the vicinity, so come back when you do have the time!

Also, I note that the game is scheduled for mid October. While the weather should be great that time of year, it can get chilly in the evening. You shouldn't need a parka and winter boots but a medium weight coat and a couple of sweatshirts would be in order.

Above all, Have Fun!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm really looking forward to the experience.

The funny thing is, we aren't diehard football fans. We enjoy the sport, but it's more of a way for us to get together (a different person picks the game and plans each year). Case in point, last year we went to the Washington/Utah game and never even got to our seats. We tailgated then walked into the stadium, went to a bar in the stadium, and never watched the game except from the outdoor bar. That is largely to say if there are unique experiences to do during the game, I'm all ears. I followed the link you provided and it was great for recommendations. Thanks!

Hey man. You are going to love the Griz game. I am biased Missoula native (42 year season ticket holder.) I. went to college at U of Florida went to almost every stadium in the SEC as well as a few dozen more including Notre Dame, Texas, and USC. There is nothing like Griz Gameday. People are so friendly. I guess the closest I have experienced is Tennessee and Virginia Tech. Our food is your food. Our booze is your booze. And honestly. There aren’t any stadiums a mile from multiple breweries and less than a mile from the top of a mountain.

Stop by our tailgate. Right at the corner of S 5th and S Van Buren. The first 24 beers are on us. Go Griz!

drharps said:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm really looking forward to the experience.

The funny thing is, we aren't diehard football fans. We enjoy the sport, but it's more of a way for us to get together (a different person picks the game and plans each year). Case in point, last year we went to the Washington/Utah game and never even got to our seats. We tailgated then walked into the stadium, went to a bar in the stadium, and never watched the game except from the outdoor bar. That is largely to say if there are unique experiences to do during the game, I'm all ears. I followed the link you provided and it was great for recommendations. Thanks!

I've been to college football games all over the country; Pac 12, SEC etc. Nothing like a Griz game for the over all experience... fans, the scenic view, the stadium, the tailgates and all the game day traditions ... If you make it all the way to Missoula you be happy you went to the game!

Please make sure you stop and eat downtown at The Notorious P.I.G. Some of the best BBQ I’ve ever had. Hell even their smoked turkey sandwich is mind blowing.

HookedonGriz said:
Please make sure you stop and eat downtown at The Notorious P.I.G. Some of the best BBQ I’ve ever had. Hell even their smoked turkey sandwich is mind blowing.

That's a bold statement considering they can't smoke their meat because of Missoula city ordinance.

drharps said:

I would like to know who is the hero in your group that thought outside the box and suggested a Griz game?

mtgriz said:
drharps said:

I would like to know who is the hero in your group that thought outside the box and suggested a Griz game?
I also would be interested to know why & how he found out about the Griz. I'm guessing he saw a tv game!

I'll add to consider getting a flight for Thursday afternoon/evening. Giving yourself Friday morning to hike/drive around and take in some of the scenery. You won't regret it. That also gives you an excuse to start earlier on a Friday night.

Gaeilge1 said:
With a minimum of 11 breweries and 4 distilleries in a town of less than 80K, you should have no problem finding great places to imbibe! This Does not include the myriad of bars in town. There are also some great restaurants that will satisfy the hungriest of football fans. Many are within walking distance of the Doubletree.

If you want to get in a little exercise a game morning walk to the "M" will fill that need. You probably won't have enough time to do some fishing or exploring of the vicinity, so come back when you do have the time!

Also, I note that the game is scheduled for mid October. While the weather should be great that time of year, it can get chilly in the evening. You shouldn't need a parka and winter boots but a medium weight coat and a couple of sweatshirts would be in order.

Above all, Have Fun!!

You will pass a Griz gear tent on the way to the game from your hotel if you go east to the footbridge route that should have more sweatshirts and hoodies than you can shake a bear claw at.

I was the person who selected the Montana game. I have a friend who attended Montana, and another buddy who played for UNI. Both talk about how the atmosphere is awesome.

Each year, a different person in the group plans the weekend, but no one is allowed to know where the group is going until they show up to the airport. This is my first year planning, and I wanted to pick something off the radar (everyone else picks big 'ESPN' games).

drharps said:
I was the person who selected the Montana game. I have a friend who attended Montana, and another buddy who played for UNI. Both talk about how the atmosphere is awesome.

Each year, a different person in the group plans the weekend, but no one is allowed to know where the group is going until they show up to the airport. This is my first year planning, and I wanted to pick something off the radar (everyone else picks big 'ESPN' games).

I love everything about this. Nice work!

If you can implement it with your friends, it's totally worth it. I have learned a few hard lessons, though. I live in Hawaii (we are scattered throughout the US) and got to the airport packed for a fall football game. We went to the Wisconsin game. I now own more Wisconsin gear than I care to admit.

drharps said:

This is an amazing tradition. Does anyone ever bitch about the location? I am sure this will be the most unique city and trip you have taken yet. Everyone is going to love Missoula. It’s truly one of the nations greatest gems.

I will provide an update after we go, but until then please feel free to continue providing suggestions.

No one has bitched about a location, in part because we just love hanging out and we could be placed in a paper bag and have fun (plus most of the guys have kids so this is their weekend pass and they don't want to waste it complaining). There is of course the typical hazing when it's too cold, or the game is a blowout, or whatever, but no one has genuinely disliked anything about the trips.

I'm sure everyone will love Missoula (I'm going to try to take the week prior and tour with the girlfriend).

Back